Passport for RCL Labadee Stop?

dlh136

IMHO - if it will make you feel better, take a copy of your passport off the ship. It might make it easier to get a replacement from the Embassy. Also, take the current day's Cruise Compass, which has contact info for the Port Authority.

Leave your passport book, wallet and anything else of importance in your room safe. There have been several reports in CC or RCI taking those items to the Port Authority before leaving you behind. I intend to confirm this with Guest Services on my next cruise, and suggest you do the same.

In 25 years of cruising have never taken passport ashore, but often carry photo drivers license.

Have read on these boards how ship will clean out safe and leave passport with port official. A while back however there was a lengthy thread about poor guy who missed ship after returning late from Atlantis in Nassau. Ship left nothing with port official and passenger had to jump through hoops to get new passport at US embassy and try to catch up to ship at next stop. Maybe procedure has since changed?

In 25 years of cruising have never taken passport ashore, but often carry photo drivers license.

Have read on these boards how ship will clean out safe and leave passport with port official. A while back however there was a lengthy thread about poor guy who missed ship after returning late from Atlantis in Nassau. Ship left nothing with port official and passenger had to jump through hoops to get new passport at US embassy and try to catch up to ship at next stop. Maybe procedure has since changed?

I am pretty sure I know the thread you are talking about, and in that case, they took their passports and info ashore, and somebody else in his party too them back onboard, while he was looking for them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I doubt I’ll be going to labadee, but if I did it would be the same as for coco cay (and castaway cay for Disney). I won’t take the passport for those places that are, as was described, an extension of the ship.

I do take it off everywhere else.

There have been several accounts of people having that happen. Their passports and stuff from their days were waiting at the pier agent. The ones that had more issues are the ones where they had their passports, and they were either stolen or somebody else has them.

In all my time here I’ve actually read none of those stories that I recall.

And I have traveled all over the world with my passport in my pocket. I've never lost it. We all have our own ways of doing things. Your risk/benefit of carrying a passport is your assessment but not mine.

Yep. Agreed.

So, I thought I read on another thread that if ship is going to leave you behind that security is sent to your room to search for passports, and the passports are left with port agent. Is there any truth to this?

I believe that it happens, but since I truly believe in Murphy’s law, I would be the one where that got overlooked. Not going to trust a stranger to get my passport out and I’m not going to trust a port agent to be where they are supposed to be.

But none of that applies to labadee etc for me.

IMHO - if it will make you feel better, take a copy of your passport off the ship. It might make it easier to get a replacement from the Embassy. Also, take the current day's Cruise Compass, which has contact info for the Port Authority.

Leave your passport book, wallet and anything else of importance in your room safe. There have been several reports in CC or RCI taking those items to the Port Authority before leaving you behind. I intend to confirm this with Guest Services on my next cruise, and suggest you do the same.

I tear out of the cruise compass just the little section with the port info on it. Always indeed a good idea to bring that...though I will sometimes forget, need to keep remembering to take it.

I cruise all over the world.

Our cruise line holds the passports in all places with the only exception being if the local government requires you to carry them or if you are staying at a hotel overnight.

As I mentioned earlier the chance of you losing or having your passport stolen is far greater then any benefit of carrying it.

Like most things people can disagree but this is the approach that we have taken on about 120 cruises and works well for us and those whom we travel with.

Keith

Agree 100% with you. I never take my passport off the ship regardless of where I'm traveling unless it is required. If I take a land based trip - it stays in the safe at the hotel - never carry it on me.

Didn't I read somewhere that Royal was going to stop going to Labadee?

Not that I know of...but some of the Oasis class ships are doing some major itinerary changes that indeed skip going to Labadee.

Plus with the new hard dock going in at Coco Cay...that will be a port they previously could not go to.

And I have traveled all over the world with my passport in my pocket. I've never lost it. We all have our own ways of doing things. Your risk/benefit of carrying a passport is your assessment but not mine.

OK, how often in all your cruises have you HAD to have your passport off the ship?

I agree the odds of NEEDING the passport off the ship are lower than the odds of a passport being lost or stolen. Therefore, IMO, it's better for a passport to stay on the ship (or in the hotel).

OK, how often in all your cruises have you HAD to have your passport off the ship?

I agree the odds of NEEDING the passport off the ship are lower than the odds of a passport being lost or stolen. Therefore, IMO, it's better for a passport to stay on the ship (or in the hotel).

I have not needed it because in all of my cruises I have never been left behind. :) Your way of thinking is fine. I am not trying to convince anyone that my way is the only way or even necessarily the right way. My way is my way. I don't really care who does, or does not, agree with it. Neither do I really care what anyone else does with their passport.

Didn't I read somewhere that Royal was going to stop going to Labadee?

I believe you are thinking of the article stating that they were no longer going to Jamaica which was misleading as it was only the new ships that were not going to be stopping there but existing ships would still visit.

I cruise all over the world.

Our cruise line holds the passports in all places with the only exception being if the local government requires you to carry them or if you are staying at a hotel overnight.

As I mentioned earlier the chance of you losing or having your passport stolen is far greater then any benefit of carrying it.

Like most things people can disagree but this is the approach that we have taken on about 120 cruises and works well for us and those whom we travel with.

Keith

I will admit we have only sailed on Royal and only had the opportunity to sail the Caribbean, but Royal has NEVER taken our passports and held them. We have gone on 23 sailings to date.

I think they just meant, they leave it on the ship.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I highlighted his statement which was "our cruise line holds the passports....." and that is NOT the same as saying they (meaning the cruiser) leave the passport on the ship. If the cruise line 'holds' your passport they have collected them and keep them until you disembark at your final destination (is my guess) or they keep giving them back to you for your day excursions (which could be problematic).

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but off the top of my head we had to have our passports with us to get off/on the ship in St Petersburg, Russia.

Royal has held our passports on several cruises. One was a Mediterranean cruise with stops in Turkey, Italy, Greece and Spain. Passports were held on our B2B2B Around the Horn cruise in 2009, I believe they returned them towards the end of the third cruise. Some passengers got really angry about it, the woman checking in next to us was adamant that she would not surrender her passport. I never saw her again so maybe she didn't.;)

The most recent was on our Trans-Pacific cruise from Sydney in 2014. An announcement was made prior to our stop in Wellington that we needed to take our passports off the ship with us as ship personnel would be collecting them before reboarding. There were staff members taking them located at the door out of the terminal, again, some people were arguing about it. :rolleyes:

And, yes, we are US citizens.

Sherri:)

Royal has held our passports on several cruises. One was a Mediterranean cruise with stops in Turkey, Italy, Greece and Spain. Passports were held on our B2B2B Around the Horn cruise in 2009, I believe they returned them towards the end of the third cruise. Some passengers got really angry about it, the woman checking in next to us was adamant that she would not surrender her passport. I never saw her again so maybe she didn't.;)

The most recent was on our Trans-Pacific cruise from Sydney in 2014. An announcement was made prior to our stop in Wellington that we needed to take our passports off the ship with us as ship personnel would be collecting them before reboarding. There were staff members taking them located at the door out of the terminal, again, some people were arguing about it. :rolleyes:

And, yes, we are US citizens.

Sherri:)

Thank you so much for your information. It would bother me to surrender my passport and be unsure how I was going to get it back. We are looking into getting those Passport cards to have in addition to our passport book.

With so many people on board how exactly did they return the passports to you?