Bermuca or Alaska?

jc4me

Question for those of you that are more experienced than me! I have a cruise booked for 10-22-18 from Baltimore to Bermuda, but I am considering canceling it and booking for Alaska instead for 2019. We have never been to either place and I know that both are beautiful, but I have been a little anxious about going to Bermuda in October because I don't want it to be cold when we go and I don't want to be in the middle of a hurricane. If we do go to Alaska it would be either May or September. I would love to know opinions of those experienced in traveling to both places and why you would select one cruise over another. :confused: TIA!

I would go with May over September for Alaska.

You will see more snow on the hills/mountains.

The daylight hours will be longer.

Weather in either month will be cooler then the summer months but greater chance of rain in September then May although when it comes to weather you just never know.

I like both Alaska and Bermuda but they are obviously very different. For Bermuda I would look at a June sailing.

Given the two I would go with Alaska as there is a lot more to see.

Keith

We went to Bermuda the last week of September and it was definitely cooler, and although we did not hit any hurricanes, we did hit a lot of rain. It was still beautiful and we loved it. But I think I would go earlier in the season for warmer weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let me add one other benefit to May and that is you will find many of the people you meet including tour guides and those in the shops will be very enthusiastic with the start of the Alaska season. The same is true of the crew. Towards the end of the season those working on land tend to be ready for the season to end and the crew is ready for a change in location.

Keith

Alaska is the trip of a lifetime...Bermuda is like any Caribbean cruise.

I agree. To us Bermuda was interesting -once- but Alaska was very special.

If you do Alaska try to fit in some land tour days before or after your cruise - like Denali to be able to enjoy the interior as well as the coast.

Since we are also booked on this cruise also we would hate to see you go! :D In October, the average air temperature in Bermuda is 72 - 80 degrees, and the water temperature is 77 degrees. For those of us that live in the Northeast, this is still quite warm, but for other people, not so much. Happy planning in whichever cruise you choose to do. :cool:

Question for those of you that are more experienced than me! I have a cruise booked for 10-22-18 from Baltimore to Bermuda, but I am considering canceling it and booking for Alaska instead for 2019. We have never been to either place and I know that both are beautiful, but I have been a little anxious about going to Bermuda in October because I don't want it to be cold when we go and I don't want to be in the middle of a hurricane. If we do go to Alaska it would be either May or September. I would love to know opinions of those experienced in traveling to both places and why you would select one cruise over another. :confused: TIA!

I only see 1 obvious answer, keep the Bermuda cruise booked and start booking Alaska for 2019. :D

I went to both places this year and loved both. We were the next to last Bermuda cruise this season in October and the weather was beautiful but you never know. Weather can be a crap shoot in both places at the months you are looking at. Although I loved Bermuda, Alaska is like no place else I’ve ever been and you have the chance to see lots of wildlife. I’d do either of the cruises again—I like the PP’s idea of doing both! :)

I've done both also.

I did Alaska in September (the last cruise of the season that year..9/18-25th) and the weather was beyond perfect. Not a drop of rain and temps were mid 70s to 80s. We were in shorts at the pool bar when sailing from Vancouver. Another plus was that the ports were closing shops for the season so I got some fantastic bargains at their final sales. ($80 jackets for $5...:')) I had to buy another suitcase for my purchases!

I've done Bermuda many times at sea and land trips. One October cruise (Halloween) we had great weather and another October one (early in the month) it was cold and rainy. Sometimes it was perfect and on one land trip it poured the entire 10 days (August). You never know!

If I had to choose between the two....Alaska would win! It was my favorite cruise.:D

I had a bad experience in Alaska, poured every day in late August, about 10 years ago. I took the Celebrity Summit from Bayonne to Bermuda 2 years ago and it was my favorite trip. The nice part is the ship is there for 3 days so it is very relaxing. Most people rave about Alaska but it was a bust for me. Good Luck.

Bob from NJ

Don't worry about a hurricane. Book the cruise that interests you and go from there. Heck, there could be a major earth quake in AK and your cruise up there could get ruined. Don't worry about what might, could possibly happen.

Don't worry about a hurricane. Book the cruise that interests you and go from there. Heck, there could be a major earth quake in AK and your cruise up there could get ruined. Don't worry about what might, could possibly happen.

So very true! I want to go to both places, but think that Alaska might be the right cruise for 2019 and we can do Bermuda the following year during a better time than the end of October.

We are also wanting to do both Alaska and Bermuda! We have Alaska now booked for June 2019, and can't wait. I know it will be very different from the Caribbean cruises, but everyone says it is amazing!

I cancelled our Bermuda cruise last night and when I get the refund we will make our final decision on when to cruise Alaska. We did a Canada/New England cruise a couple of years ago and it was really nice, so we have had a taste of cruising to non-tropical ports. Enjoy your cruise!!

LOL, we took our first cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary in 2002. In late 2001, I suggested we try a cruise for that anniversary. DW agreed and suggested Alaska. I suggested Bermuda (as we could drive to the port of NY and who at that time wanted to fly.) So we had the same choice as you.

And we ended up flying to Barcelona and doing a Western Mediterranean cruise! So LOL again, that's my suggestion.

BTW, we have since cruised both the Bermuda and Alaska, and I would suggest that you do both at some point.