Hotels about an hour from Fort Lauderdale

lneilan

The hotel may be less expensive, but you will have a higher taxi fare from the airport to the hotel and then the next day from the hotel to the port. So you may not save that much!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One time many years ago I forgot to book our hotel stay for Ft Lauderdale. And it was during the International Boat Show.

We ended up staying at the Embassy Suites in Deerfield Beach -- we were there for 3 days and it was worth the higher taxi fare to get to the Pier. But if you are only going to be there 1 day -- not worth the price.

I am cruising out of Fort Lauderdale and wondered if anyone has every stayed 30 minutes or a little longer North of the city to save money on a hotel. I would appreciate any suggestions.
You only need to go 7-8 miles west to Plantation, Fl. We've stayed at the Marriott, Renaissance, and the Residence Inn, all at a big savings over the port area. Great locally owned place for lunch or dinner (white Table cloth dining at night) called the Mustard Seed, plus several other good restaurants. Also a lot of shopping.

Safe travels,

bb

We are not fond of the Ft Lauderdale Area. There are many rough areas so read the Florida departure boards carefully. In the seedy areas will literally see prostitutes and drug dealers working hotel parking lots.

FYI, Ft Lauderdale was just named worst metro area in the US based on crime statistics, financials and other factors. We related to the information because we have extended family members who fled the area within the last ten years.

We are not fond of the Ft Lauderdale Area. There are many rough areas so read the Florida departure boards carefully. In the seedy areas will literally see prostitutes and drug dealers working hotel parking lots.

FYI, Ft Lauderdale was just named worst metro area in the US based on crime statistics, financials and other factors. We related to the information because we have extended family members who fled the area within the last ten years.

WOW, that is a pretty rough statement. We have been cruising out of Ft Lauderdale for years, and usually take the public bus to where ever we want to go, and haven't found any of the areas you state.

What you said, pretty much covers every city in the country, maybe the world, which states the fact, always be aware of your surroundings. We are staying at the Marriott Harbor Beach this time and I am sure some shady deals will be taking place nearby.

You only need to go 7-8 miles west to Plantation, Fl. We've stayed at the Marriott, Renaissance, and the Residence Inn, all at a big savings over the port area. Great locally owned place for lunch or dinner (white Table cloth dining at night) called the Mustard Seed, plus several other good restaurants. Also a lot of shopping.

Safe travels,

bb

I also recommend the Plantation area. I stayed at the Hampton Inn, and they had both an airport and cruise port shuttle. This was a few years ago, so check with them for up to date information.

Have been cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale for years as a solo female, and have not encountered the problems Sammiedawg described.

Roz

To late to edit my other post, but to the OP, just go on Ft Lauderdale brokers websites and search from prices lower to higher, and look at the locations offered. You might be able to get a nice hotel, closer to the pier for less than you think. Last year, we booked the Marriott Vacation Club not to far from the pier, but going from the airport to the hotel, we encountered a parade of some kind, half the road closed, people everywhere, taxi meter kept running, cost four times the regular rate, just FYI on the distance away, unless there is somewhere you actually want to stay and do something around there.

If you are driving, we just stayed in Ft Pierce at the Marriott Fairfield Inn for less than a hundred bucks. Plenty of chain restaurants and a Walmart. Got out at 8am and arrived at the FLL airport at 9:45am to pick up our son and then right to the ship.

We are driving and have this same hotel booked for early next month. The Ft. Lauderdale hotels are cost prohibitive at this time of year.

Many “airport” hotels are at Dania Beach, including several Marriott properties, a Courtyard and Fairfield Inn. Airport shuttles are provided and you can pay seven or eight bucks for a shuttle to the cruise port. This is a decent area and popular with cruisers.

FLL is under hoteled since the arrival of the Oasis ships. Last minute bookers may end up in the sketchier areas, which happened to us the last time we were there. We were dealing with weather issues and had double booked flights. We arrived a day early, then had to scramble for lodging.

Make your reservations.

Look between west palm beach and boca raton. Fort Pierce still a little far. Treat yourself to some of Palm Beaches best restaurants, not some chain in Fort Pierce which is still a 2 hour drive to Fort Lauderdale. You'll find comparable prices since this is a busy area.