Best Cabin Combo for Large Family

AlohaPride

FYI

There are locks on the balcony doors that prevent toddlers from accessing outside. They could only get outside if I let them. I have twins and when they were young I loved a balcony because it

allowed me to sit outside and read a book while they napped.

Despite what everyone says you will spend more time in the room then you think and if the budget allows the balcony with young kids is wonderful.

We had connecting balconies on deck 6 on Freedom. However, they were aft, and there was definitely some movement some nights. The balconies were fine for our 3 year old. It was glass with a railing at the top. So, he could see through it without the ability to climb. We enjoyed having the second bathroom, so I would definitely recommend connecting rooms in order to have that. If it is possible you could try to see if there is a junior suite with a connecting balcony. This would give you a bathtub in the junior suite (my 3 year old hates showers and I would have loved to have had this for our trip). We made it work though and just go with whatever you are comfortable with in the budget. You really won't spend a whole lot of time in the room. My kids loved the kids club area and my 7 year old kept asking to go back.

On our last cruise, I couldn't get our kids out of the kid's club. I think in the 14 days we were in Alaska, I only dragged them off the ship a handful of times. They were having too much fun. They didn't even want to eat dinner with us. They ended up having dinner at the buffet and then we would go to the MDR alone. It was awesome. LOL

FYI

There are locks on the balcony doors that prevent toddlers from accessing outside. They could only get outside if I let them. I have twins and when they were young I loved a balcony because it

allowed me to sit outside and read a book while they napped.

Despite what everyone says you will spend more time in the room then you think and if the budget allows the balcony with young kids is wonderful.

I will remind my husband of this. He's pretty set against a balcony though :( I'm disappointed. We had a balcony on our first cruise. I used it a lot. He didn't go on it once. It might be a personal fear of his, now that I think about it. . . hmm.

I did. Thank you :) I looked at those cabins. I'm not sure if they are available. I'm struggling to find a website that will allow me to pick our cabins. I *think* they are available, though.

Google Royal Caribbean UK and do a mock booking... you'll see all of the available cabins in list format by category... much easier to find out if the cabins you want are available. Then just call RCI and book them... half the time they do not even show up on the US website... weird!

My family, DH, DD (11), DD (9), DD (8), and DD (3), and myself are sailing on Serenade TransAtlantic 16 days. RCI is a new line for us. I'm looking for cabin recommendations for our family. We are looking at everything from the extra large ocean view to the Jr. Suite or combinations of any category in between. 1 or 2 cabins? Adjoining? Next door? Across the hall? I'm trying to learn everything I can about this line and this ship, but I find the RCCL website to not be very informative.

Mahalo!

Ok, so you are determined to sail on this one particular cruise? This September. You have waited MUCH too late to have much choice in cabins.

You don't want a balcony.

Your only choice at this point seems to be the family oceanview cabins all the way forward. There are a few available.

8500, 8502, 7004, 7504

That's it.

Ok, so you are determined to sail on this one particular cruise? This September. You have waited MUCH too late to have much choice in cabins.

Your only choice at this point seems to be the family oceanview cabins all the way forward. There are a few available.

8500, 8502, 7004, 7504

That's it.

X2.............I would go with the ones on deck 8, they are larger.

Jimbo:)

I will say that I understand the concern with the balcony and having a 3 year old. My first cruise with my babies (3 year old triplets and 5 year old) was in a balcony stateroom. My parents booked the rooms and I was excited but nervous. Once I was in the room I noticed that it had a lock at the top of the door that had to be pulled down, not sure what ship has what. I also noted that the door was quite heavy and no way one of my babies could have opened the door. I also set clear expectations that they were not allowed outside without us since I had a 5 year old child as well. We had zero issues with the kids on the balcony, the railing was very high. Safety first, but just wanted to share our experience with you.

I've stayed in the Royal Family, now 2 bedroom suite. One of the bedrooms (Master) has a balcony but the other bedroom which sleeps 4 is on the inside and doesn't have a balcony but the living room area has a balcony. 2 bathrooms, one with a tub.

On our last cruise, I couldn't get our kids out of the kid's club. I think in the 14 days we were in Alaska, I only dragged them off the ship a handful of times. They were having too much fun. They didn't even want to eat dinner with us. They ended up having dinner at the buffet and then we would go to the MDR alone. It was awesome. LOL

The kids club will be deserted on a Serenade TA. We were on this last April’s Serenade TA and there were a reported 15 passengers total under the age of 18. Average passenger age was about 70. No complaints here, but I hope the OP is prepared for there to basically be no other kids on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alrhough the family or two room suites are very nice, I understand your concerns with the balcony. We took our five grandchildren, aged 3-11 on Brilliance two years ago and got the family ocean view. One bathroom, but this room was perfect. The bunkbed room/closet was nice. You can also pull the curtains to close off the king bed area. It is nice having the middle sitting area which you would not have with adjoined rooms. The kids loved sitting in the very deep window wells and watching out. Also had a big closet. The 2 room suite is much nicer, but the price is probably at least 4 to 5 times the family ocean view. Two adjoining rooms is probaby cheapest and will give you 2 bathrooms but much more cramped feeling. Look up videos of family ocean view rooms!

Edited by Sianli
Closet size

Our kids are older (and more of them), but we are sailing in Oasis in a week with two connecting rooms (for my husband and I and the “little” kids 13,11,10). My big kids (25,23,20,17) are in their own room elsewhere.

Wow...you have my respect. Not sure if I'd worry more about the 10 year old or the 25 year old. :D

My family, DH, DD (11), DD (9), DD (8), and DD (3), and myself are sailing on Serenade TransAtlantic 16 days. RCI is a new line for us. I'm looking for cabin recommendations for our family. We are looking at everything from the extra large ocean view to the Jr. Suite or combinations of any category in between. 1 or 2 cabins? Adjoining? Next door? Across the hall? I'm trying to learn everything I can about this line and this ship, but I find the RCCL website to not be very informative.

Mahalo!

It would help to know when you are sailing and from where. These cruises are very popular and cabins sell quickly. We are cruising the TA on the Serenade Sept 2018 and there are only a few cabins left. Even if you are cruising in 2019 your option are going to be limited. With 6 people I would call RCCL or a travel agent ASAP and they can help you with your options. Not all cabins show up on the website.

If it's in the budget, get the RFS (or reclassified as TS) on Deck 7, 8 or 9. (7672, 8668 or 9656)

I agree with Merion_Mom that this would be your best option if the budget allows. With 6 people you are going to need the extra space, the room can sleep up to 8 and has 2 bathrooms. As others have stated there is a lock high up on the balcony door that would be hard for any of the kids to reach much less the 3 year old. You have to call RCCL or a travel agent to book these suites.

What ever you decide CALL SOON! Please let us know what you decide to book,

Not sure if you booked already, but I would book myself a balcony and the kids an interior cabin directly across the hallway- and I would pack a video baby monitor so that they could be monitored while you're in your cabin. Swap seapasses with one of the kids so that you can go back/forth.

3 is kinda young, but it would give the big kids some responsibility to look after him. Plus, he can be on your couch if needed!

We just booked two balcony cabins that are connecting for our family of five (kids ages 6, 10, and 13). I spoke with our travel agent about my concerns with the balcony door and I feel good knowing about the safety lock and glass. I think two connecting balconies is best for a larger family. I plan to leave the connecting door open so I know whats going on. Good luck!

Not sure if you booked already, but I would book myself a balcony and the kids an interior cabin directly across the hallway- and I would pack a video baby monitor so that they could be monitored while you're in your cabin. Swap seapasses with one of the kids so that you can go back/forth.

3 is kinda young, but it would give the big kids some responsibility to look after him. Plus, he can be on your couch if needed!

Sure! The 11 year old should be practicing by now to be “little mommy”. Four kids aged 3-11 in their own cabin——really?????

Sure! The 11 year old should be practicing by now to be “little mommy”. Four kids aged 3-11 in their own cabin——really?????

Oh heck yeah! Why not? It's only 5 steps away! And with a video monitor, she'd be able to keep an eye on them. Our video monitor even has a walkie-talkie mode. It cost less than $180 4 years ago. I'd even do it with my kids and they're younger than hers.

Unless she chooses a connecting interior room. That'd be fine. But I cannot imagine not having a balcony for a TA. She already stated that her husband doesn't want the kids to have a balcony.

8500, 8502, 7004, 7504

That's it.

No. April 2019. . .

The kids club will be deserted on a Serenade TA. We were on this last April’s Serenade TA and there were a reported 15 passengers total under the age of 18. Average passenger age was about 70. No complaints here, but I hope the OP is prepared for there to basically be no other kids on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our kids were the 3 of 9 on our Alaska cruise. :hearteyes: The other 6 kids were much older and didn't use the kid's club. We usually cruise with Holland America Line. LOL On the cruise before that our 2 were the only 2 on board.

We've sailed as a large family with my Grandson since he was four. While I don't think he could have gotten out onto the balcony by himself, I can understand your apprehension. We chose two connecting OV cabins. We had a travel agent, which seems to be what you need. Use one experienced in booking cruises. They can find the best choice for you. If you have an unlimited income, the family suite would work, otherwise, the choice for us would be two Oceanview cabins with connecting doors that could be left open. There's a bigger chance one of them could wander out of the room to try to go to your room in the night with a cabin across the hall. This gives you two bathrooms which really is a HUGE benefit of having the two cabins.