Margarita question

Bootstrap77

I don't know of any bars on any Celebrity ship that make margaritas 'from scratch', as in fresh lime juice. As we love margaritas would be happy to find out I was wrong.

FWIW, we have been less than impressed in general with the capability of the bartenders to make a good margarita. Now martinis at the martini bar..............that's another story.

I don't know of any bars on any Celebrity ship that make margaritas 'from scratch', as in fresh lime juice. As we love margaritas would be happy to find out I was wrong.

FWIW, we have been less than impressed in general with the capability of the bartenders to make a good margarita. Now martinis at the martini bar..............that's another story.

Thanks! I assumed as much, but thought I’d ask just in case because I’ve never asked for one on the rocks while being on the ship. I once asked for a White Russian and they used some ice cream mix instead of real cream. It was so so.

Just got off the Reflection.

I was less than impressed with drinks at any of the bars.

I was confined to drinking Prosseco and gin and tonics, the mixed specialty drinks and frozen drinks were the worst I have ever had.

Can anyone tell me which, if any, bars on the sillouhette can make a margarita on the rocks with freshly squeezed juices or from scratch? Thanks :)

The World Bar can make a margarita with the fresh lime juice. That’s the only bar that I know for sure will make it with fresh ingredients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings

We were on Equinox on the 06 November cruise and was able to get fresh lime margaritas without a problem. They always had squeezed lime juice in a container in the fridge. No, not the sour mix, real lime juice. Drank them the entire cruise.

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

We were on Equinox on the 06 November cruise and was able to get fresh lime margaritas without a problem. They always had squeezed lime juice in a container in the fridge. No, not the sour mix, real lime juice. Drank them the entire cruise.

Good Sailing

Tom

Aewsome! Thanks.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but there are limes and then there are limes. We have a vacation home in Mexico and live there several months a year. The best margaritas are made with Baja Limes (Key limes). These are the ones that are a little smaller than a ping pong ball as opposed to the lime variety that is the size of a small lemon. The Baja limes are more flavorful, less astringent, and smoother tasting. Apparently, when cruise ships use fresh lime juice for anything, including a margarita, they use the more common traditional lime. The flavor of the the margarita is just 'off' and we can tell the difference. Consequently we never order a margarita on any cruise ship unless we take our own, fresh Baja limes aboard and ask the bartender to use them in our margarita. Same goes for a Cuba Libre, we prefer ours with fresh Baja Lime juice, Hemingway style.

Can anyone tell me which, if any, bars on the sillouhette can make a margarita on the rocks with freshly squeezed juices or from scratch? Thanks :)

World Class Bar! If Denis the very tall man is working, try to get on his good side and let him know how you like them. He is an excellent mixologist and knew how to make several less common drinks that I asked for. If the bar is busy, they understandbly prefer you to stick with the menu.

Downside is WCB usually not open until 5pm.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but there are limes and then there are limes. We have a vacation home in Mexico and live there several months a year. The best margaritas are made with Baja Limes (Key limes). These are the ones that are a little smaller than a ping pong ball as opposed to the lime variety that is the size of a small lemon. The Baja limes are more flavorful, less astringent, and smoother tasting. Apparently, when cruise ships use fresh lime juice for anything, including a margarita, they use the more common traditional lime. The flavor of the the margarita is just 'off' and we can tell the difference. Consequently we never order a margarita on any cruise ship unless we take our own, fresh Baja limes aboard and ask the bartender to use them in our margarita. Same goes for a Cuba Libre, we prefer ours with fresh Baja Lime juice, Hemingway style.

I didn’t know that. Thanks!

I see that you have had a variety of helpful suggestions. But I would like to turn this around and challenge you a bit. Why don’t you plot out a shortest-distance route among all bars on the ship? Proceed from one to the next to the next to the next... Sample the margaritas at each stop and report back on what you find to be the best source. If you can remember...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good to know. Thanks. I have the premium package any suggestions for brand of tequilla?

You need to consider other than just the brand. IMO, the best high end Tequila (without "breaking the bank") is El Tesoro Reposado. They also make an Anejo (priced higher). But, it is almost too smooth.

There is much controversy about the origins of the Margarita and whether it should have Cointreau. We favor the version offered by Tommy's in SF:

El Tesoro Reposado, fresh lime juice and agave nectar. Heavenly!!!

BTW, steer clear of swill like Jose Cuervo Gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Greetings

I have a key lime tree in my yard. They are indeed different from persian limes (the common lime you find in stores). Key limes may be available for sale, but they are usually sold while still green. They are yellow when ripe. We always use key limes at home (the trees are everbearing), but trying to take bottles of juice on vacation seems a bit too far to go. I was just happy I could get real lime juice verses the sour mix which I really dislike.

Good Sailing

Tom

I see that you have had a variety of helpful suggestions. But I would like to turn this around and challenge you a bit. Why don’t you plot out a shortest-distance route among all bars on the ship? Proceed from one to the next to the next to the next... Sample the margaritas at each stop and report back on what you find to be the best source. If you can remember...

One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, FLOOR!

:')

Challenge accepted ;)

You need to consider other than just the brand. IMO, the best high end Tequila (without "breaking the bank") is El Tesoro Reposado. They also make an Anejo (priced higher). But, it is almost too smooth.

There is much controversy about the origins of the Margarita and whether it should have Cointreau. We favor the version offered by Tommy's in SF:

El Tesoro Reposado, fresh lime juice and agave nectar. Heavenly!!!

BTW, steer clear of swill like Jose Cuervo Gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ve always wanted to try one with agave nectar.

Off topic a bit, but we did that once in search of the best cosmo. Worst one was at the martini bar, best at Al Bacio!

To the OP: I hate the powdered sweet and sour mixes that are used. Some bars have pre-mix that is a blend of fresh lemon/lime juice and syrup but it's still not great.

If I find a "good" bartender, I have a friendly conversation and give a little expression of thanks for their troubles and make a special request to have fresh lemon juice/lime juice for both Patron Margarita's - made with Grand Marnier - and Lemon Drops with Grey Goose Citron and Cointreau :)

They may not always be able to do it immediately but usually they'll get in a supply of fresh squeezed lemon/lime juice - or extra fruit to hand muddle for rest of cruise.