Do I need “ cancel for any reason”? Or would this reason be covered w/o it?

we just put our $1000 deposit for a Scenic Rhine 8 day cruise in May. Our total costs after airfare will be approx $13,000.

I will purchase the airfare once I make the final payment end of February

My question about trip insurance is due to our 25 yo son having refractory epilepsy. He’s not coming on the trip, however, if he were to be hospitalized and in a bad way.... we may not go or have to leave early.

The premiums are around $1000 for CFAR. Otherwise, it around $700.

I could just insure the cruise portion and then when I book airfare, buy their insurance?

Any thoughts from people with past experiences?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

May depend on your plan. Our plan with Travel Insured covers the scenario you have given. It is covered by Trip Cancellation if it happens before your departure, and Trip Interruption for the unused portion of your trip if it happens during your cruise.

Suggest you consult Insuremytrip.com or tripinsurancestore.com for advise on appropriate plan you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we just put our $1000 deposit for a Scenic Rhine 8 day cruise in May. Our total costs after airfare will be approx $13,000.

My question about trip insurance is due to our 25 yo son having refractory epilepsy. He’s not coming on the trip, however, if he were to be hospitalized and in a bad way.... we may not go or have to leave early.

I could just insure the cruise portion and then when I book airfare, buy their insurance?

Just like with Auto insurance, Home owners insurance, and Health insurance, saying your have "Travel Insurance" and asking if XYZ will be covered is too vague.

You either need to give complete details regarding which company, exactly which plan you purchased, plans can even be very different depending upon which State you live in. (Assuming you're in the US)

Definitely call and ask. The problem you may run into at this point is if they consider your son’s diagnosis a pre-existing condition. Often to get pre-existing conditions covered the insurance has to be purchased within so many days of booking the trip.

"Cancel for any reason" insurance may or may not cover. A policy covering medical cancellation would not.

Definitely call and ask. The problem you may run into at this point is if they consider your son’s diagnosis a pre-existing condition. Often to get pre-existing conditions covered the insurance has to be purchased within so many days of booking the trip.

You are correct that OP should call the insurance company. You are incorrect regarding "preexisting condition," which refers to medical issues of the insured travelers and not their non-traveling son. Further, a "preexisting condition" (for the purpose of comprehensive travel coverage [trip/medical]) refers to a new diagnosis or a change in treatment for a longstanding condition that occurs during the "lookback period" of X months prior to policy purchase.

Yes, I too would contact insurance companies directly.

Ask do they offer a policy which would address your issue.

Call a few others too.

Another one is TravelexInsurance

You have some time. Usually two weeks from deposit.

Whatever they tell you before you purchase it make sure you see it in writing.

Happy New Year.

Keith

You are correct that OP should call the insurance company. You are incorrect regarding "preexisting condition," which refers to medical issues of the insured travelers and not their non-traveling son. Further, a "preexisting condition" (for the purpose of comprehensive travel coverage [trip/medical]) refers to a new diagnosis or a change in treatment for a longstanding condition that occurs during the "lookback period" of X months prior to policy purchase.

OP knows their son has a medical condition. They aren’t planning on purchasing the plan until feb. what stops him from having an episode between now and feb that could bring up the ‘pre-existing’ conditions issue. I may be mistaken, but once the condition is considered ‘pre-existing’ and you are months after the trip is booked; it’s too late to get it insured for that issue as a ‘covered reason’.

Edited by sanger727

OP knows their son has a medical condition. They aren’t planning on purchasing the plan until feb. what stops him from having an episode between now and feb that could bring up the ‘pre-existing’ conditions issue. I may be mistaken, but once the condition is considered ‘pre-existing’ and you are months after the trip is booked; it’s too late to get it insured for that issue as a ‘covered reason’.

The son is not one of the insured persons (who are subject to PEC decisions/waivers by the insurer) nor is he traveling with them. As regards CFAR, OP needs to get written clarification of any exceptions.

Buy the insurance now so that it covers pre-existing conditions. Then add airfare later. But make sure the policy covers pre-existing for immediate family members and make sure you can add air later.

I'd recommend talking to one of the insurance brokers at a site like tripinsurancestore.com or insuremytrip.com

You are correct that OP should call the insurance company. You are incorrect regarding "preexisting condition," which refers to medical issues of the insured travelers and not their non-traveling son. ...

Actually, many insurance policies cover immediate family members, traveling or not, in the pre-existing waiver.

Please keep in mind that many ttravel polic ies that coverr for pr-existing conditions must be purchased within a stated amount of time after first deposit is made. Keep track of the number of days and check with any and all insurance which might interest you. If you purch case pre-existing coverage in time, you well COULD be covered but most policies are unique to themselves . You must know the terms ofrr whatever policy you decide on.

The son is not one of the insured persons (who are subject to PEC decisions/waivers by the insurer) nor is he traveling with them. As regards CFAR, OP needs to get written clarification of any exceptions.

The son's condition has been posted on a public internet forum, Do you not t hink an insurance company might not find it and the coniditon surely is tagged . pre-existing. ? IMO

Actually, many insurance policies cover immediate family members, traveling or not, in the pre-existing waiver.

Still not the issue at hand. The bottom line is whether the insurance considers illness (preexisting or not/waived or not waived) of a non-traveling ADULT immediate family member (the son) as a covered reason for trip interruption/cancellation.

Even if the get the CFAR, they'd need clarification of any exceptions.

Critic ally important, IMO is to buy the insurance within insurance compnay's set number of days after first deposit. If they call it pre-esxisiting if the insunance is bought within their time frame, good chance they would be covered but that has to be verified with the insurer.

The son's condition has been posted on a public internet forum, Do you not t hink an insurance company might not find it and the coniditon surely is tagged . pre-existing. ? IMO

for the purposes of travel insurance coverage, an infirmity one has had for many years will not be considered a PEC unless there is a change in its treatment or complications or pharmaceuticals (depending on insurer) during the "lookback" period of X months from the date the policy was purchased. Also, new diagnoses during the"lookback" would be a PEC.

As long as there's nothing "new" or changed "old" during the "lookback," there's no PEC.

Nonetheless, cruisers should make there insurance purchase during the insurer's grace period for a PEC waiver to avoid any gray area coverage confusion.

for the purposes of travel insurance coverage, an infirmity one has had for many years will not be considered a PEC unless there is a change in its treatment or complications or pharmaceuticals (depending on insurer) during the "lookback" period of X months from the date the policy was purchased. Also, new diagnoses during the"lookback" would be a PEC.

As long as there's nothing "new" or changed "old" during the "lookback," there's no PEC.

Nonetheless, cruisers should make there insurance purchase during the insurer's grace period for a PEC waiver to avoid any gray area coverage confusion.

OOPS! I meant "look back" PRIOR to purchase. What happens after purchase is when the waiver becomes important.

I would caefully verify this with the insurance one is buying or has bought. Every policy has i ts own terms. I am not sure this statement is acccurate for all policies. JMO

I would caefully verify this with the insurance one is buying or has bought. Every policy has i ts own terms. I am not sure this statement is acccurate for all policies. JMO

If it's not accurate, there would be no logic to the term "lookback," which every insurer in the US uses.

If it's not accurate, there would be no logic to the term "lookback," which every insurer in the US uses.

I think it v alid adice to suggest people verify with their partricular insurer. I KNOW I always

verify any question I have.

It ddoesn't hurt to ask b ut could hurt very mmuch tto not ask and later wish one had. asked.

JMO

I will ask all questions of my insurer.

Family member coverage only applies if you are primary caregiver-spouse, minor child. I always inquired since my late father was in his nineties. If something healthwise had come up for him, it would not have been included since he was not part of my household therefore I could not be primary caregiver. He lived independently until his passing. Only Cancel for any reason would have applied.

Family member coverage only applies if you are primary caregiver-spouse, minor child. I always inquired since my late father was in his nineties. If something healthwise had come up for him, it would not have been included since he was not part of my household therefore I could not be primary caregiver. He lived independently until his passing. Only Cancel for any reason would have applied.

Thanks for better stating one of the points I've been trying to make.