This is either really funny or kinda sad...

Swells1

I live and work in Vancouver. You can slightly see the water from my office. I had a coworker visiting from Toronto staring out my window and asked how far a walk is it to the lake? Lake? Hmmm that would be the Ocean.

When I asked a visitor to Toronto what he did today, he told me he'd walked down to the pond and back. The pond was Lake Ontario.

LOL. I took Latin in school and we always said, “Latin is a language, dead as dead can be. First it killed the Romans. Now it’s killing me.”

I don’t remember much beyond Veni. Vidi. Viki. (And I probably have the spelling all wrong). But my Dad taught me that knowing Latin and looking at the roots of words would help with many languages and he was right.

My Dad taught me many things and I think that’s part of the problem today. Many parents don’t play their part in the education process. Children need to be also taught that learning is fun and has value.

There just isn’t much in the way of intellectual curiosity anymore, and an almost entire lack of critical thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree that involved parents can make such a difference.

I live in a small city adjacent to a major metropolitan area with its own school system. Because our school system is small there is a real need for parent involvement at many levels, and parents feel they have a stake in the educational process. I think that's a major reason why our schools are ranked the 2nd best in the state. We have quite diverse ethnicity and income levels, yet the students outperform large suburban districts.

As to Latin, I encouraged my son to take it for two years in high school. I wish I'd had the opportunity to do so when I was in school but it wasn't offered. So in some cases, one could say education isn't always worse today than it was a generation ago.

Omg I officially raised myself up to genius category when I was able to recognize that the map tapestries on the walls of the Vatican Museums are upside down. By today's knowledge that is...back when they were made everyone agree the world was flat

Ignoring the fact that the Colorado River never actually gets to to the Sea of Cortez, you could try going up river on a jet boat. You would have to have the boat hauled around several dams and the National Park Service would not like it but in 1960, some guys ran a jet boat UP the Grand Canyon. It was the first and the last time that this feat was accomplished.

BTW - you can not outlaw geographic stupidity. After we did our first trip to Australia, we had several people convinced that the sun rose in the west because we were south of the equator.

DON

Don the Colorado does reach the sea it is a myth that it does not .

I don't think any amount of involvement by parents could have helped this poor girl.

Lol this girl is playing!!! She is actually very smart and a good actress.

She's making fun of stupid people!!!

Please dont believe every video you come across online is actually "real".

Ask yourself why these videos are even on the web? She knows exactly what she is saying and exactly why she is posting the videos

She's very good btw. I hope she is in her school's drama club

Fyi...if you really think the videos are authentic and she's really this stupid well I don't know what to tell you. Lol

When I asked a visitor to Toronto what he did today, he told me he'd walked down to the pond and back. The pond was Lake Ontario.

If that visitor was from a coastal city like New York or Los Angeles, or Miami, Lake Ontario is a pond. :D

Don the Colorado does reach the sea it is a myth that it does not .

I found this on the WEB (http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/good-health/the-deal-that-brought-the-colorado-river-back-to-the-sea-20160126) -

"For eight glorious weeks, from March 23 to May 18, 2014, the Colorado River flowed all the way to the Gulf of California, something it hasn’t done regularly since the 1930s. Minute 319, a 2012 amendment to the 1944 water treaty between Mexico and the United States, allowed water from the Morelos Dam to run through a 40-mile stretch of parched riverbed to the Colorado River Delta. Scientists designed a “pulse flow” to release 105,392 acre-feet of water to mimic spring floods and “base flows,” which will continue until the measure expires in 2017. The long-term goal of Minute 319 is to create a cooperative system whereby both nations can share the Colorado River for water storage and ecological restoration research. “We’re never going to get back to a condition where the delta was like it was in the 1930s before the Hoover Dam went up,” said Karl Flessa, a lead scientist on the binational research team. But if the project were extended to allow more flows, we could see “a whole series of narrow parks of native vegetation and native trees and native birds,” he said.

DON

Yesterday we went to a travel expo. Holland America was doing a presentation on Alaska cruises and tours. At the end during the Q&A portion someone stood up and asked, "what currency do they use and except up there in Alaska". One of the Holland America representatives took a second and very politely said "US currency, ma'am".

Being from Montreal, Canada, i have to say something.

Every night when the weather comes on. We have a map the shows 100 % of canada and usa along with weather in c anf f.

I notice that when i am in the usa, the weather stops at the border.

If there is a storm coming up the east coast ( like this week), no idea where it is going....... inland or maritimes.

Hard to learn if you are not taught.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

And just think about the ever increasing populations of all those other billion or so planets with life out there! :eek:

:confused: could this be the reason we are seeing a significant decline in the intelligence of our elected officials and government bureaucrats in recent years?

Take a look: http://www.taxpayer.com/news-releases/19th-annual-teddy-government-waste-award-winners

It would explain a lot.:D

People are always confusing Bermuda and the Bahamas and that’s partly the fault of travel publications that keep lumping Bermuda in with the Caribbean.

Bermuda is our favorite place to visit and we are ALWAYS having to explain that it is nowhere near the Caribbean. It is in fact, in the middle of nowhere [emoji16]

I would go there but I am not into Triangles, I am more of a Square;p

Being from Montreal, Canada, i have to say something.

Every night when the weather comes on. We have a map the shows 100 % of canada and usa along with weather in c anf f.

I notice that when i am in the usa, the weather stops at the border.

If there is a storm coming up the east coast ( like this week), no idea where it is going....... inland or maritimes.

Hard to learn if you are not taught.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Good point, a lot of people think the world stops at their doorstep if you know what I mean. There is a big world out there just waiting to be discovered, even if it is just on the tv.

I don't think any amount of involvement by parents could have helped this poor girl.

THANK YOU .... I needed a good laugh!

That girl's computer needs to be put into the MIDDLE of the living room where the parents can watch her and HEAR her and maybe get involved and TEACH her something! OMG ...

Lol this girl is playing!!! She is actually very smart and a good actress.

She's making fun of stupid people!!!

Please dont believe every video you come across online is actually "real".

Ask yourself why these videos are even on the web? She knows exactly what she is saying and exactly why she is posting the videos

She's very good btw. I hope she is in her school's drama club

Fyi...if you really think the videos are authentic and she's really this stupid well I don't know what to tell you. Lol

Why do you think it's a fake video?

Why do I think it's a real video? Because I HEAR this out of people that age ALL the time. Have you watched Jay Leno's 'Jay Walk'? OMG ... adults that have no base level of information about the country/state/city/etc. of where they live.

Why do I think it's a real video? Because I HEAR this out of people that age ALL the time. Have you watched Jay Leno's 'Jay Walk'? OMG ... adults that have no base level of information about the country/state/city/etc. of where they live.

God help America then. thoughts and Prayers coming your way.;p

I found this on the WEB (http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/good-health/the-deal-that-brought-the-colorado-river-back-to-the-sea-20160126) -

"For eight glorious weeks, from March 23 to May 18, 2014, the Colorado River flowed all the way to the Gulf of California, something it hasn’t done regularly since the 1930s. Minute 319, a 2012 amendment to the 1944 water treaty between Mexico and the United States, allowed water from the Morelos Dam to run through a 40-mile stretch of parched riverbed to the Colorado River Delta. Scientists designed a “pulse flow” to release 105,392 acre-feet of water to mimic spring floods and “base flows,” which will continue until the measure expires in 2017. The long-term goal of Minute 319 is to create a cooperative system whereby both nations can share the Colorado River for water storage and ecological restoration research. “We’re never going to get back to a condition where the delta was like it was in the 1930s before the Hoover Dam went up,” said Karl Flessa, a lead scientist on the binational research team. But if the project were extended to allow more flows, we could see “a whole series of narrow parks of native vegetation and native trees and native birds,” he said.

DON

This is so confusing. A 2012 amendment "expires" in 2017 . . . five years. And the web cite provide calls it a minute . . . fake news if I ever saw it.

Did the so called minute expire on schedule?

First off who is she talking to? She's answering her own questions

Also it's an uploaded web video from where?

Many are planted fake videos for the sole purpose of hoping they go viral.

There is always an agenda

There is always a backstory

So it's really wise to question stuff like this video especially when there is such absurdity involved as evidenced here it was uploaded to cc and it was expected that posters would believe it.

It's 2018 and it's time for internet users (which is all of us) to recognize the game and not blindly accept what they see and hear online. It's called click bait

Let me ask you a question. Do you click on random links in emails you receive because of course there would never be an embedded virus

Do you randomly assume that an email is legit just because it says it's from your bank ?

In the above case have you ever clicked on the senders email URL? Only to find it's not from....mybank@my bank.com but from....cvtrilht@wwefgjhg.fcu. Or some such nonsense I guarantee in that situation there will be a link in the email they want you to click....which will then ask for your legitimate online bank user name and password.

Do you give personal info to random phone callers?

Do you really think you are having an issue with your Windows software and they called you to help out?

Nuff said and nope I don't wear a tin foil hat I just deal with reality. Lol

Edited by maggie cruises

THANK YOU .... I needed a good laugh!

That girl's computer needs to be put into the MIDDLE of the living room where the parents can watch her and HEAR her and maybe get involved and TEACH her something! OMG ...

Oh there are plenty of stupid people out there but she isn't one of them

This is clickbait at it finest. It will wind up on a public Facebook feed with 100,000 comments by FB users who don't realize that by posting a comment on a PUBLIC FB page. (look for the globe icon folks before ever posting on FB ) When you see the globe icon and you still feel you must post just remember you have just opened up you PRIVATE FB page and pics to the entire FB world.

I never comment or even like anything if I see the post open to the Public via the globe icon. Look for the 2 friends icon and fwiw I stay away from the 3 friends (friends of friends) icon too because that's as bad as public

Again...no tin hats over here...just internet savvy