Plane cannot get out of New York, NY

So my party of 6 was suppose to fly out LAX tonight to JFK (New York) then on to San Juan. We have been informed that all flights out of JFK are cancelled and the airport is closed. Jet blue our airline will not have flights until Jan 9th. So we will be missing the cruise unless a miracle happens. Of the 6 two have insurance. So called Royal Caribbean they have a lot of people reaching out in my situation. Not sure what will happen but wondered if any of you all are in the same boat.

The entire east coast is a mess because of this snow storm. I would look quickly at American since both southern hubs in Dallas and Miami that could get you out to SJU in time. Those with trip insurance can probably collect on some of the costs. Also contact JetBlue and keeping your scheduled return in place.

Does JetBlue not have any alternate flights to SJU that don't go through JFK? We flew Jetblue Chicago to San Juan, so I know they fly that route.

Maybe see if they can accommodate you on another airline; looks like United has a flight at midnight from SFO to SJU

For the 4 without insurance, it will likely be a complete loss. Depending on the cost of the cruise it might be worth rebooking yourselves, even if you have to pay out of pocket. The drive would be rough, if not impossible, but flights from SFO to SJU are about $600 per person, and the flights from LAX to SFO are under $100. If you can get JetBlue to make sure you're return flight won't be cancelled if you miss the departure flight, that's one option. $676 per person to avoid missing the ship. If JB won't let you keep your return flight, however, that would probably be a deal breaker.

I am sure you could find another flight from LAX that has layovers in North Carolina or Atlanta. cheaper to lose the air fare then cancel the cruise. Fly one way on American and return on jetblue and only lose a half trip. If by chance you used Rcl Air2sea they can change airlines with no added charge. hope it works out

Also worth checking the credit card terms for those you think dont have insurance. I don’t purchase insurance from RCI because my credit card provides travel insurance. We relied on it last year with no problem.

So my party of 6 was suppose to fly out LAX tonight to JFK (New York) then on to San Juan. We have been informed that all flights out of JFK are cancelled and the airport is closed. Jet blue our airline will not have flights until Jan 9th. So we will be missing the cruise unless a miracle happens. Of the 6 two have insurance. So called Royal Caribbean they have a lot of people reaching out in my situation. Not sure what will happen but wondered if any of you all are in the same boat.

1. Sorry that you may not cruise.

2. Those without a travel policy should check for trip protection on the CC they used for the purchase.

3. If Jet Blue belongs to an airline consortium (e.g., as do United or Lufthansa belong to Star Alliance), see if Jet Blue will "assign" your tix to a different carrier (and ask for "assignment" even if there are no partners). This may not cost you anything extra!

4. If for some reason you end up at the airport and have to wait overnight, ask the gate agent for local hotel discount coupons (for weather issues, the airline is not bound to provide lodging but they often can get you a discount). That said, book lodging (and alternate flights) ASAP. (Call them while you're standing in any long booking line).

Hopefully you were flying in days before, which will give you the "buffer" I always post about. If not? This will be an expensive though important lesson that the "odds" of delay are actually irrelevant since it's always 50/50 for your specific travel.

As for the future:

Surely, direct flights on major partnership carriers from/through/to hub cities (excluding northern during winter) with buffer pre/post cruise dates and 2-3 hour buffer connections are not cheap. But, with those tix, if anyone is getting on a plane and arriving on time, it will be you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most airlines are waiving change fees!

Your return flight on JB should not be cancelled unless you cancel it. Each way is a separate item on JB. Good luck....let us know what happens.

JetBlue implemented change fee waivers on Tuesday for those who had flights booked from the Northeast today... Early on the process was fast, easy, and hassle-free with good flight availability (I’m now returning to FLL from EWR on Sunday morning)...

Unfortunately once the flights cancel (over 850 at Newark alone today; all three New York area airports were closed much of the day) and realities set in with passengers, reschedule can become extremely challenging for those with a limited time frame for travel after so significant a disruption to the national air grid...

Best wishes to the TS in getting to San Juan on time! Lots of options to explore but do so quickly! The issue won’t be resolved here...

Insurance won’t help except to reimburse for flight delay and reimburse for last minute flight to San Juan.

If OP just cancels because Jet Blue cancelled flights and doesn’t attempt another flight, OP will be SOL most likely.

The cruise isn’t cancelled, just a flight segment

If Jet Blue belongs to an airline consortium (e.g., as do United or Lufthansa belong to Star Alliance), see if Jet Blue will "assign" your tix to a different carrier (and ask for "assignment" even if there are no partners). This may not cost you anything extra!

They don't. Nor does Southwest, Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier, and a few others. Them or nothing.

They don't. Nor does Southwest, Spirit, Allegiant, Frontier, and a few others. Them or nothing.

But at least with Southwest, you're dealing with the largest domestic carrier, so there are usually several alternative options.

Insurance won’t help except to reimburse for flight delay and reimburse for last minute flight to San Juan.

If OP just cancels because Jet Blue cancelled flights and doesn’t attempt another flight, OP will be SOL most likely.

The cruise isn’t cancelled, just a flight segment

If the cancelled flight causes them to miss the cruise then most insurance should cover the cost of the cruise. It's a non-refundable expense that they missed due to a covered event. OP wouldn't cancel the cruise, they would miss the cruise since they would arrive in San Juan after the cruise left

If the cancelled flight causes them to miss the cruise then most insurance should cover the cost of the cruise. It's a non-refundable expense that they missed due to a covered event. OP wouldn't cancel the cruise, they would miss the cruise since they would arrive in San Juan after the cruise left

I believe you’re mistaken.

The cruise is insured. The cruise is not cancelled. The cruise will depart on time and as scheduled.

I hope it all works out.

If OP insurance has CFAR, it’s time to call in the chips.

I believe you’re mistaken.

The cruise is insured. The cruise is not cancelled. The cruise will depart on time and as scheduled.

I hope it all works out.

If OP insurance has CFAR, it’s time to call in the chips.

It would depend on exact coverage, but the cruise doesn't have to be cancelled for insurance to pay out. If you miss a cruise because you got sick or injured, or your job cancelled your leave, or you lost your job, etc, anything that's covered by your specific insurance clause, you will get reimbursed. If the cruise itself was cancelled then Royal Caribbean would refund the cost, it would never go through the insurance company.

In this case the cancelled flight means that they will miss the cruise, so the cruise fare should be refunded by the insurance company. If it isn't then they are booked with the wrong company or wrong plan.

This is assuming third party insurance that includes delay and cancellation insurance, not just medical. I've never bothered getting insurance directly from the airline or cruise line.

The entire east coast is a mess because of this snow storm. I would look quickly at American since both southern hubs in Dallas and Miami that could get you out to SJU in time. Those with trip insurance can probably collect on some of the costs. Also contact JetBlue and keeping your scheduled return in place.

Thank have been checking all day. Everything ;booked

Hi there

Thank you for all the replies. I have been on the phone with jet blue for over 2 hours. By hey attempted everything from splitting up into 2 people, changing locations to fly thru and everything is completely booked. There are over 4,000 cancelled flights out of New York and Boston. I have allowed extra time to get to San Juan but does not seem possible. Royal Caribbean said they have been receiving calls all day from passengers who are also stuck so will see what happens there. I will continue to look for a one way ticket but now we are down to around 36 hours to make this happen.

I will also look into the credit card used. Worth a try.

Hi there

Thank you for all the replies. I have been on the phone with jet blue for over 2 hours. By hey attempted everything from splitting up into 2 people, changing locations to fly thru and everything is completely booked. There are over 4,000 cancelled flights out of New York and Boston. I have allowed extra time to get to San Juan but does not seem possible. Royal Caribbean said they have been receiving calls all day from passengers who are also stuck so will see what happens there. I will continue to look for a one way ticket but now we are down to around 36 hours to make this happen.

I will also look into the credit card used. Worth a try.

Thanks for reporting back.

I wish you Good luck!

Bill