Plane cannot get out of New York, NY

:) 29 cruises this one was just not a good one!

I was confused for a second. My post wasn't directed at you, but to the person who said you're the only person ever who's complained about a cruise.

I think most people on here have had a negative experience or two - some worse than others. I was just finding it hard to believe that someone who's been on Cruise Critic for years has NEVER heard of anyone having a bad cruise. :rolleyes:

I was confused for a second. My post wasn't directed at you, but to the person who said you're the only person ever who's complained about a cruise.

I think most people on here have had a negative experience or two - some worse than others. I was just finding it hard to believe that someone who's been on Cruise Critic for years has NEVER heard of anyone having a bad cruise. :rolleyes:

Oops, Karen was home sick yesterday and probably worded that wrong...lol I know you were not the one who thought I was the only one to have a negative experience :)

Happy cruising!

Reader

~ { Morning All } ~ When we travel , We / I allow 24 hours to have anything happen ~ Whether it be before or after a cruise / flight ! ~ :)

~ We live outside Chesapeake City , MD ~ So Baltimore or Philly are flight option's & Baltimore & Cape Liberty are drivable if need be for direct cruising !

Know friends whom travel on stand by because they ( He's ) actively working for a airline ! ~ They got caught in San Juan for an extra 3 days once / because it came down to they just couldn't buy a seat home , and on the first and second day after the cruise they got bumped off of flights ! ~ They finally got home . However this has been a ongoing discussion when ever we travel .... Always allow for the unexpected ... Because until it's actually happening ! ( You just don't know ) ~ Just Saying

Have A Nice Day ! ~ J.L.

Insurance won’t help except to reimburse for flight delay and reimburse for last minute flight to San Juan.

If OP just cancels because Jet Blue cancelled flights and doesn’t attempt another flight, OP will be SOL most likely.

The cruise isn’t cancelled, just a flight segment

This is an important point everyone should make note of if they didn't already know.

Just because a flight is cancelled doesn't mean you get a full refund. That only happens if there is no possible way to get to the port AND re-join the cruise at one of its stops.

Never forget that an insurance companies job is to avoid paying as many claims as possible. They work for their stockholders, not you.

The thing is, booking through only southern hubs does not fix the issue. It may make it a bit better.

But once a major hub is shut down, it affects everywhere, as people get rebooked, and airplanes are stuck where they are and not where they need to be.

The thing is, booking through only southern hubs does not fix the issue. It may make it a bit better.

But once a major hub is shut down, it affects everywhere, as people get rebooked, and airplanes are stuck where they are and not where they need to be.

Crews too.... often get stuck elsewhere.

Best thing to remember: Weather anywhere in the country can affect flights anywhere else in the country, especially if that weather affects a major hub.

~ { Morning All } ~ When we travel , We / I allow 24 hours to have anything happen ~ Whether it be before or after a cruise / flight ! ~ :)

~ We live outside Chesapeake City , MD ~ So Baltimore or Philly are flight option's & Baltimore & Cape Liberty are drivable if need be for direct cruising !

Know friends whom travel on stand by because they ( He's ) actively working for a airline ! ~ They got caught in San Juan for an extra 3 days once / because it came down to they just couldn't buy a seat home , and on the first and second day after the cruise they got bumped off of flights ! ~ They finally got home . However this has been a ongoing discussion when ever we travel .... Always allow for the unexpected ... Because until it's actually happening ! ( You just don't know ) ~ Just Saying

Havee A Nice Day ! ~ J.L.

Sooooooo true, regardless if you're flying standby as a paying passenger OR airline employee 'standby' you COULD get 'bumped'. And getting bumped in the Caribbean(NO chace of driving) is a BIG problem. ONE of the first things 'they' (management) told us when I was hired in 84 was, 'We DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT want to get a long distance phone call from you, saying you won't be into work for X amount of days because the flights out are full.. That is UNACCEPTABLE.' Something I took to heart. when and where ever I flew on standby.

Mac

I guess the lesson learned here is don’t connect thru a city in the snow belt, in the winter, if you can avoid it. Specifically during the holidays, with most flights being full, it will takes days for the airlines to accommodate all the displaced travelers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ice and snow anywhere in the US will shut down airlines all over the US in particular Atlanta, Charlotte, and Dallas.

Ugh. Non-rev travel is definitely a thing of the past. I remember when I not only flew it a lot, but was able to upgrade to FC quite often!

Crews too.... often get stuck elsewhere.

Best thing to remember: Weather anywhere in the country can affect flights anywhere else in the country, especially if that weather affects a major hub.

I got stuck in Atlanta last year due to a severe thunderstorm that shut down the tarmac for hours. I've never given much thought to what the ground crew has to deal with in those situations but it must not have been fun. I was supposed to fly home on a flight scheduled for about 6:00pm, but didn't leave Atlanta until about 4:00am. The whole east coast got messed up as planes and crews couldn't get to where they needed to. The problem for my flight?...we needed a flight attendant. We were good for a pilot and co-pilot. I would have happily left earlier and skipped the peanuts but I'm guessing that safety regulations required the right number of flight attendants. I think they literally went into the crew lounge and asked if anyone could go.

I got stuck in Atlanta last year due to a severe thunderstorm that shut down the tarmac for hours. I've never given much thought to what the ground crew has to deal with in those situations but it must not have been fun. I was supposed to fly home on a flight scheduled for about 6:00pm, but didn't leave Atlanta until about 4:00am. The whole east coast got messed up as planes and crews couldn't get to where they needed to. The problem for my flight?...we needed a flight attendant. We were good for a pilot and co-pilot. I would have happily left earlier and skipped the peanuts but I'm guessing that safety regulations required the right number of flight attendants. I think they literally went into the crew lounge and asked if anyone could go.

Having worked the ground crew as a member (luckily, for only about a year before going to another area 'baggage service' (Where people yell at you when their bags miss the flight) which, in 20/20 hindsight really isn't THAT much better). The gate crews catch it all:eek: In Atlanta, it's either miserably HOT and humid from98-103 degrees OR winters can be rainy and 38-40 degrees. Most gate crews have only 4 people, at the most 5 and usually only have an hour too A) unload ALL bags, mail, human remains, anything in the bins, B) Reload all bags, refill all water tanks (It's called a 'turnaround') and you PRAY the flight's on time, because a late flight will eat into your 'turnaround time'. Yes, a gate crew member's job can be a real pain in the as* (excuse my French);p Yet, I knew guys who, had done it 20-25 years.

Mac

Ice and snow anywhere in the US will shut down airlines all over the US in particular Atlanta, Charlotte, and Dallas.

Ugh. Non-rev travel is definitely a thing of the past. I remember when I not only flew it a lot, but was able to upgrade to FC quite often!

UGH (In regards too non-rev, especially 'employee non-rev') is an understand ! When I first went to work for my airline, you stood a chance to get on the flight at LEAST the possibility of being 'upgraded' to first class. Then, business started letting ALL those sky miles which said business passenger would trade back to the airline for an upgrade to first class from coach. Now, in 99% of the first class is CLOSED, to the airline non-rev.:rolleyes: Oh well, nobody ever said you HAD to work there !!;p

Mac

So my party of 6 was suppose to fly out LAX tonight to JFK (New York) then on to San Juan. We have been informed that all flights out of JFK are cancelled and the airport is closed. Jet blue our airline will not have flights until Jan 9th. So we will be missing the cruise unless a miracle happens. Of the 6 two have insurance. So called Royal Caribbean they have a lot of people reaching out in my situation. Not sure what will happen but wondered if any of you all are in the same boat.

So what was the outcome? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

I was just having this discussion today about JetBlue with limited services, flights, and options compared to other airlines regarding cancelled flights. Love the airline, which we use all the time but now we just cruise from ports we can drive to.

Also live in the metro NY area and fly to FL quite often and have had more problems with cancelled/delayed flights with fog and Nor’easters than snow. Luckily, it worked out for us several times with bad weather and flights to a cruise, once with snow and the others with heavy rain/fog, but many other cruise passengers were not so fortunate.

I too am curious how the OP made out. I can relate and feel bad for them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums