Grand Princess Review - My point of view -

Harley0711

The Grand is going into drydock in March 2019 for 17 days. Do you think that Princess would do that extensive a drydock just to sell it shortly afterward?

I don’t think so. It’s all about the money and they will only do what they have to.

Tony

So sorry. I had a great time on the Grand in September, even though there were issues. I had to call about the toilet not flushing, but fortunately no overflow. There were some other issues, too, such as not being told that one of my tours had been cancelled, and not being picked up at the airport for my Princess hotel stay.

Nonetheless, I had great experiences at the buffet, Sabatini's, Crown Grill, and Alfredo's. My other tours were great, too.

I hope for better times on the Grand.

I love the "Old Grand" It's a comfortable ship and the crew is great.

She has problems at times, don't we all. Just go with the flow.

You'll have a good time.

I heard in 2019 or 2020 SF will get another ship. Who Knows?

The Grand is going into drydock in March 2019 for 17 days. Do you think that Princess would do that extensive a drydock just to sell it shortly afterward?

If 17 days in March, and we are on the March 20, 2019 cruise, does that mean we will be going on her just after this drydock, or just before?

Pooh

So decided to see if I could answer my own question. I looked up the Grand for March, 2019 sailings and only two are listed, ours leaving 3/20 and one more leaving 3/30. Just prior is a 10 day leaving 2/21, so yep a 17 day gap. So that looks like we will be sailing after her dry dock. Does anyone one know what is supposed to be done to her during this 17 day period?

Pooh

The Grand is our least favorite ship, too, based on a lot of the same comments made by the OP. We were in Baja 600's on a cruise to Hawaii a couple of years ago, and the plumbing problems lasted for the entire cruise. Most of the time a number of the ceiling tiles were taken down in our hallway, and there were wires hanging down, too. There was a bad odor most of the time from the plumbing issues, and the cabin 2 doors aft of us was flooded so their furniture was in the hallway drying out.

DH and I have often mentioned that people on their first Princess cruise with conditions like these would have a very bad impression of Princess. I think Princess should be more concerned that you only get once chance to make a first impression. We still think Princess is the best line for us, but we won't sail on the Grand. We're going to Hawaii in March, but we're sailing on the Star out of San Pedro like we did last March. It's an older ship, too, but we had no big issues with our cruise last March.

Princess "Grand" review/opinion

There is so much money to be made by Princess out of SF - I just with they would retire the Grand and move in a newer ship but I do not see the upper management agreeing with me on this topic

One very nice area on the Grand - we stayed in a basic Balcony and the new beds were GREAT - Love that part

😪

We would like to see a new Princess ship come to San Francisco too. We're tired of the Grand but we like to cruise and have no other options. Flying to a different port is out so we're stuck with the Grand. Hopefully soon we'll get a new ship in to San Francisco. It's convenient for us to leave from the port. Park our car at 80 Francisco and it's a short walk to the pier. The Grand has had its fair share of issues, glad we weren't on it when the tender door fell off between Ensenada and Hawaii and the ship had to turn around and go back to Hawaii. We hit a severe storm our first trip to Hawaii. The ship was going into dry dock when we got back. Waves were coming up on our deck (Caribe). The waves and wind blew out the glass door to the balcony in the cabin to the left of us,. In the cabin to the right of us, the ceiling came down on people in bed and broke the man's collar bone. He spent most of his time in the infirmary. So, hopefully this trip will be uneventful.

ill be sailing her on Friday, and i always just enjoy the ship, the sea and the company. You can find flaws anywhere on any trip

Yes, this is true, but on my Grand cruise last September, I experienced many, multiple difficult issues, not just one or two. I go with the flow for one or two. Last September, I felt like I personally knew the people at the customer service desk, from visiting them so often. You can see from my signature that I am otherwise a Princess loyalist, and I like the Princess product.

Thanks for your perspective. We’re sailing on Grand in July, combining a SF visit with an Alaska cruise. In my experience, a ship is a complicated system - issues are inevitable, regardless of age. We’ve been impressed by our Princess cruises to date; it will be interesting to see if the same standards are maintained on the Grand.

So decided to see if I could answer my own question. I looked up the Grand for March, 2019 sailings and only two are listed, ours leaving 3/20 and one more leaving 3/30. Just prior is a 10 day leaving 2/21, so yep a 17 day gap. So that looks like we will be sailing after her dry dock. Does anyone one know what is supposed to be done to her during this 17 day period?

Pooh

This is the link to a thread which was discussing this last November.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2552720

When Pam talks, I usually listen as she always seems to have the inside info. :):)

We are on the Grand in early April 2019 so we're looking forward to seeing what has happened to her.

Thanks for your perspective. We’re sailing on Grand in July, combining a SF visit with an Alaska cruise. In my experience, a ship is a complicated system - issues are inevitable, regardless of age. We’ve been impressed by our Princess cruises to date; it will be interesting to see if the same standards are maintained on the Grand.

We definitely go with the flow and have glowing reviews about the staff and crew on the Grand. They just cannot do enough for you. But in terms of maintaining that ship, I give them a grade of poor. I know others will say you can always find problems if you are out there looking for them ... yah, yah, yah ... hear it all the time. On the Grand, you won't have to look for them .. they smack you in the face. Too many things in a state of disrepair. I feel the Golden is not far behind. We still had a great time, so don't get me wrong, but that was largely due to such fabulous and friendly service! The food and entertainment were good as well ... the itineraries are the BOMB!!

Last year, I sailed on the Grand and the Explorer or the Seas within one month of one another. Whoa ... what a difference!! The Explorer is actually 2 years newer than the Grand so will give them that. However, I've never ever seen a ship so well maintained as the Explorer. So, it is possible! But, I think I will stick with Princess, nonetheless. The food and service on the Explorer were just so so ... some was downright poor. I wasn't really impressed by anything other than the condition of the ship (and the entertainment). She was absolutely gorgeous!!

I hope you can prove me wrong and you do find the ship to be in satisfactory condition. I am actually booked on her for two cruises this year alone and hope to find her to be in better shape than my last couple of recent cruises on her. If not, will just go with the flow anyway, as I really love the itineraries out of SF. I can always find something to appreciate about being lucky enough to be on a cruise. I understand the new beds are the best ... so will definitely enjoy that. And, it over 50 cruises, I sprang for a suite for the first time ever ... so will definitely overlook any negatives. :D

I spent 30 days on the Grand last year without a major problem. At least she has the new beds. I have 14 days booked on her next year. This ship seems to be hit or miss as far as problems go.

We have had some minor plumbing issues on her, as well as the Crown, the Ruby, and the Star. I think it depends how many people are flushing their "non-flush" items down the toilet. Unfortunately, Princess can't fix stupid.

The One Five lounge and Sabatini's both had nice make-overs/updates and the MUTS screen is new. There are still things to like about the Grand. ;)

17 days ONLY. - minor tune up

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What will they do at just the “minor” tuneup? We’re on the Grand April 8,2019 sailing from Sydney to LA! These posts have me rethinking this! Anyone done the Pacific crossing on her??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've only done west coast sailings on Princess- most from San Francisco so we have been on the Grand, the Star and Ruby. We've noticed maintenance issues on all three, but the only one that ever bothered us was right before disembarkation when the bathroom door broke with my 4 1/2 year old stuck inside (this was on the Star). The Grand has always been our favorite because of the crew- of all the cruises we've ever been on the Grand consistently has the nicest people! We also like the food a little better (sorry Star, but there is more to life than sausage!). The crew we had on the Ruby just didn't seem as friendly, but we also realize that it was a short cruise so it makes a difference. The Grand has Sabitinis (and more importantly when we last sailed the wonderful Franco) while Ruby has Curtis Stone (we were excited to try it and saddened by what we got- the other diners felt the same way)

Well thanks for the positive info...I’m happy to hear the good things you had to say!!! My hubby and I seem to have fun wherever we go, so that’s a good thing!
Well, I need to make a correction.....we’re sailing on the Golden, not the Grand! My apologies!!!

We've only done west coast sailings on Princess- most from San Francisco so we have been on the Grand, the Star and Ruby. We've noticed maintenance issues on all three, but the only one that ever bothered us was right before disembarkation when the bathroom door broke with my 4 1/2 year old stuck inside (this was on the Star). The Grand has always been our favorite because of the crew- of all the cruises we've ever been on the Grand consistently has the nicest people! We also like the food a little better (sorry Star, but there is more to life than sausage!). The crew we had on the Ruby just didn't seem as friendly, but we also realize that it was a short cruise so it makes a difference. The Grand has Sabitinis (and more importantly when we last sailed the wonderful Franco) while Ruby has Curtis Stone (we were excited to try it and saddened by what we got- the other diners felt the same way)

Do you mean Franco the asst MD? When was he on the Grand? Will be boarding her in two weeks and would love to see him again.

Here’s the dry dock schedule/details for the Grand.

BEGIN...Grand March 3, 2019 END....March 19, 2018 17 Days TYPE...Undetermined - this is about 50% longer than a typical drydock for a Grand Class LOCATION...San Francisco.

Here’s a link to more information about other Princess Ships.

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton

Thank you for your review ! As a first time cruiser last September, I can relate to your comments, and I think your points are well taken.

As first time cruisers, we sailed on the Emerald and had a wonderful time. We promptly booked two more Princess cruises ( Regal Princess and Island Princess). We had an issue with our cabin, which had no heating and no air conditioning. In Alaska, the cabin started to get pretty cold without heating. We notified Passenger Services, and within 90 minutes, someone came out and repaired the heating system. He said he would return and work on our A/C, but he never came back. This didn't bother us too much, as we just kept our balcony door slightly open and used the breeze as our A/C when we sailed south into warmer weather.

However, about a month later the Emerald sailed to Mexico, and the A/C all over the ship failed in hot and humid weather, which disappointed a lot of passengers.

So, it depends on the nature of the maintenance problems.

If I were a first time cruiser to a hot climate, and the A/C failed throughout the ship, then if I decided to cruise again, I would try another cruise line.

If I were a first time cruiser and our toilet repeatedly failed to flush ( we are extremely careful with the toilet and follow all instructions), or if our cabin was flooded with water or odors from the plumbing, then we would be disappointed and would book another cruise line.

It is true that you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

Thanks again, from EBC.

Franco was the Head Waiter in Sabatini's last week on the Xmas cruise on the Grand. Not sure if he's the one you're asking about, but this Franco is a very short man (and bald!). I think he's quite popular for a reason.

Sounds like the one we met. Was a lot of fun and hopefully still on the ship later this month.

Would probably give us a reason to try Sabatini.:)

Here’s the dry dock schedule/details for the Grand.

BEGIN...Grand March 3, 2019 END....March 19, 2018 17 Days TYPE...Undetermined - this is about 50% longer than a typical drydock for a Grand Class LOCATION...San Francisco.

Here’s a link to more information about other Princess Ships.

Tom😎

Thanks Tom. Could you please provide the link?

I'll be on the Grand for March 23 Hawaii cruise. What is the internet situation? I remember seeing the posts about the testing of a new unlimited plans, yet they are still offering per minute plans in the personalizer.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Forums mobile app

I was onboard end of October and brought the $99 minute package. When on board they had the tiered weekly and daily plan. They just converted it. $99 paid for 1 week unlimited middle tier. No issues worked great for doing the work email I needed to do. Supposedly that was a special and price may go up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums