High Tea in Victoria

timesurfer7

Hello fellow cruisers,

My two sisters and I are going on a ten day cruise to Alaska from San Francisco in May. I would like to surprise them with a high tea while we are in Victoria. Where is the best high tea? And how would we get to it from the ship? Can we have a horse and carriage pick us up? Any suggestions would be great. Oh, we are all in our early 60's and we don't want too much walking as I have a broken back and cannot walk distances. Other than that we are young at heart!!!

Karen

Had a High Tea at the Empress Hotel just this past October. It was lovely and very filling! You might need a reservation though depending on what day you want to go. The Empress Hotel is just on the inner harbour and never having been to Victoria by ship I can't tell you how far from where the ship docks. There are horses and carriages that do tours so I would think you might be able to arrange for a pick up. Contact the Victoria Visitors Bureau for additional information.

It was not cheap but it was really nice.

From Where the ship docks would be a long run for a horse and carriage. I suggest you book in advance and then take a cab from the cruise port to the hotel. If you check with the Empress Hotel, they might easily be able to help you get a carriage from the hotel for a tour around the inner harbour area of Victoria. Then cab back either from the hotel or from anywhere you would like the carriage to drop you.

Definitely book the tea in advance and I agree while memorable, it is not cheap!

Hello fellow cruisers,

My two sisters and I are going on a ten day cruise to Alaska from San Francisco in May. I would like to surprise them with a high tea while we are in Victoria. Where is the best high tea? And how would we get to it from the ship? Can we have a horse and carriage pick us up? Any suggestions would be great. Oh, we are all in our early 60's and we don't want too much walking as I have a broken back and cannot walk distances. Other than that we are young at heart!!!

Karen

You port time of 7a-2p for Victoria will make attending high tea a little tricky.

Getting a cab from port to any of the tea houses will be easy but getting one of the early tea times may be a bit tricky.

I have had tea at both the Empress and The Pendray and must say I was more impressed with The Pendray.

https://www.tourismvictoria.com/eat-drink/afternoon-high-tea

This lists all the teas in Victoria and the websites to go to.

Get one of the 11:00 times and have fun.

You port time of 7a-2p for Victoria will make attending high tea a little tricky.

Getting a cab from port to any of the tea houses will be easy but getting one of the early tea times may be a bit tricky.

I have had tea at both the Empress and The Pendray and must say I was more impressed with The Pendray.

We live in the Victoria area. My 83 year old mother is of UK heritage and the White Heather Tea room is her favorite place for high tea. It is worth a look too...

Had a High Tea at the Empress Hotel just this past October. It was lovely and very filling! You might need a reservation though depending on what day you want to go. The Empress Hotel is just on the inner harbour and never having been to Victoria by ship I can't tell you how far from where the ship docks. There are horses and carriages that do tours so I would think you might be able to arrange for a pick up. Contact the Victoria Visitors Bureau for additional information.

It was not cheap but it was really nice.

Thank you so much for the information. I will check it out!!!

Thank you so much for the reply. I was not aware that there was a difference to when teas were!!! The afternoon tea would work great for us. Again thank you for let making me aware of the differences.

We live in the Victoria area. My 83 year old mother is of UK heritage and the White Heather Tea room is her favorite place for high tea. It is worth a look too...

The White Heather Tea room looks fantastic and has great reviews but unfortunate, upon further looking, is not open on Mondays when our ship arrives. Maybe next trip!!! Again thank you for your help.

We did the Empress Hotel Tea through the cruise line so our transportation was covered. It was okay. I wasn't that bowled over with it and it's pricey. You might get a more authentic tea somewhere else.

I had read reviews on the ship one and since nobody was thrilled with it we have chosen to go outside the ships tours and find one locally. Thank you for your help.

:)

Thank you so much for the information. I will check it out!!!

Another local suggesting The White Heather Tea Room. While the Empress is a lovely setting, the White Heather is quite authentic. The ride to Oak Bay along the waterfront would be lovely in a horse drawn carriage. The actual room is not nearly as impressive however (it is located in a small strip mall in Oak Bay, a neighbourhood in Victoria).

I have not heard anything, good or bad about the Pendray. It is a picturesque old captain's house on the inner harbour complete with a huge verandah. It is really close to Ogden Point, where the ship docks.

If ambiance is most important and cost be damned, then the Empress is likely a good choice for you. Please note that it is touristy and food quality is over rated( and really expensive as already mentioned). Not far from Ogden Point, a coach and horse would be an easy ride.

Hope you enjoy your visit to Victoria.

Butchart Gardens also has a tea option in one of the restaurants within the Gardens. I did it this past June with a group of ladies and it was one of the best teas I have had anywhere. Seems like it was $30 (Canadian) and included tea plus 3 "courses". Lots of different items to try. We booked a specific time ahead--online I think, arrived and toured part of the Garden, then had tea and toured the rest of the Garden. There are many ways to get to the Gardens....one of my most recommended places to visit in Victoria.

Butchart Gardens also has a tea option in one of the restaurants within the Gardens. I did it this past June with a group of ladies and it was one of the best teas I have had anywhere. Seems like it was $30 (Canadian) and included tea plus 3 "courses". Lots of different items to try. We booked a specific time ahead--online I think, arrived and toured part of the Garden, then had tea and toured the rest of the Garden. There are many ways to get to the Gardens....one of my most recommended places to visit in Victoria.

This is a lovely tea, for sure. Understand that admission to the garden ($30-$33.) is charged before you can enjoy tea. The gardens are about 40 min. from Ogden Point, where the ship is docked, so travel time is a consideration also.

This is a lovely tea, for sure. Understand that admission to the garden ($30-$33.) is charged before you can enjoy tea. The gardens are about 40 min. from Ogden Point, where the ship is docked, so travel time is a consideration also.
That's the problem. Princess offers an excursion to Butchart Gardens that includes tea. Practically half the time is spent going to the gardens and in the return to the ship. It doesn't leave enough time to enjoy the scope of the gardens as well as the tea. When we were there, we had five hours.

How long approximately does it take to walk from the port to the Inner Harbour in Victoria?

Depending on how briskly you walk, about 20 minutes. When you leave the parking lot at Ogden Point, you are on Dallas Road. Turn right and walk to Oswego Street. Left hand turn onto Oswego and walk until you reach the inner harbour. The US ferry docks will be straight ahead and the Empress will be to your right. This is the direct route, through a very safe, residential neighbourhood.

You can also walk the other way along the waterfront, past Fisherman's Wharf and continue along the sidewalk until you reach the Inner Harbour. You would turn left on Dallas, coming out of the cruise ship parking area. That might take a little longer, the Wharf area is fun.:D (Float Houses, floating restaurants, cafes, fishing boats, etc. ). You can catch a little Harbour Water Taxi from the Wharf that will take you to the Inner Harbour or a tour of the harbour, including a few stops. The Inner Harbour has a number of attractions and generally street performers, buskers, food carts, etc. Often you will hear bagpipes playing from the corner of Bellville and Government, opposite the legislature and the Empress.

Depending on how briskly you walk, about 20 minutes. When you leave the parking lot at Ogden Point, you are on Dallas Road. Turn right and walk to Oswego Street. Left hand turn onto Oswego and walk until you reach the inner harbour. The US ferry docks will be straight ahead and the Empress will be to your right. This is the direct route, through a very safe, residential neighbourhood.

You can also walk the other way along the waterfront, past Fisherman's Wharf and continue along the sidewalk until you reach the Inner Harbour. You would turn left on Dallas, coming out of the cruise ship parking area. That might take a little longer, the Wharf area is fun.:D (Float Houses, floating restaurants, cafes, fishing boats, etc. ). You can catch a little Harbour Water Taxi from the Wharf that will take you to the Inner Harbour or a tour of the harbour, including a few stops. The Inner Harbour has a number of attractions and generally street performers, buskers, food carts, etc. Often you will hear bagpipes playing from the corner of Bellville and Government, opposite the legislature and the Empress.

Thanks ever so much for the excellent information. I think we’ll take the long route, via the waterfront and Fisherman’s Wharf (the teens will be happy :D). Thanks again :*.

Whatever you do - don't book something that you can't cancel the day of. I have had Victoria on my itinerary 3x when we did not stop due to winds. Especially May and early June but it can happen all summer. Or ask if they will cancel if the ship doesn't dock.

I have done Tea at Butchart Gardens. I am not a tea person so am not going to say anything good or bad about the service/food. I can say that the room they put us in was very tight. No one could move with out someone else moving and you really couldn't move your chair back a few inches. It was that tight. There was plenty of food available. I don't think anyone finished their portions and everyone was sharing as some people like some food and others like other food.