Alaska

leepforjoy

My husband and I are planning on going on an Alaskan cruise in June. After looking at many reviews I think I want to leave from Vancouver and cruise one way and then rent a car and go to Denali and then fly home from Anchorage.I am trying to figure out which cruise line to take and I can see that cruise lines have good reviews and bad reviews. I am considering Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Holland has 2 different boats. They all go to Ketchikan, Skagway, and Juneau but 2 lines stop at Icy Sraits, Holland stops at Glacier Bay, Norwegian just cruises by Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.Is Icy Strait or Glacier Bay a better place to stop. I read someplace to also consider what you want to do at a stop because they are in the ports different amount of times. It is all a little overwhelming but excited to be able to go so any help is appreciated.

We do recommend seeing Glacier Bay. But I do not think that any ship "stops" at Glacier Bay. This is a large bay with several glaciers at its base. It is actually a protected National Park and has its own staff of Park Rangers (several will come aboard ships that cruise into the Bay). The last time we were there, the Park Service very tightly controlled traffic and only allowed two cruise ships a day (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) to cruise in, around, and back out of the bay. There is nowhere to stop. It is one of the most pristine (and protected) places we have ever visited. Most passengers will bundle up in their warmest clothes, find a good viewing spot out on deck, and just enjoy the amazing beauty of the area. Many ships will have stewards come around with hot chocolate, coffee, etc....which are always in china cups....as the National Park Service strongly discourages any kind of paper or Styrofoam on deck because it could blow off the ship and pollute the environment. If you are lucky you might also spot some whales in the bay. The last time we were there we spotted a Grizzly Bear along the shoreline (about 1/4 mile from the ship). This place belongs to him/her...and we are just visitors passing by :)

Hank

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Hank has given you a lot of good information but let me also suggest that you post this on the Alaska Ports Of Call Board.

I realize being new to Cruise Critic you didn't know this but I highly encourage you to post there. This link will take you to the Alaska Board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=55

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Hank has given you a lot of good information but let me also suggest that you post this on the Alaska Ports Of Call Board.

I realize being new to Cruise Critic you didn't know this but I highly encourage you to post there. This link will take you to the Alaska Board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=55

Keith

Any reason why you are not considering Princess?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Thanks Hank for the quick reply. Holland 2 Northbound cruises say they arrive at 7:00am and depart at 5:00pm. I am not sure where they land because as I read you can't land in the park.If anyone has any information on this or has gone on Holland cruises I would love some information.

We do recommend seeing Glacier Bay. But I do not think that any ship "stops" at Glacier Bay. This is a large bay with several glaciers at its base. It is actually a protected National Park and has its own staff of Park Rangers (several will come aboard ships that cruise into the Bay). The last time we were there, the Park Service very tightly controlled traffic and only allowed two cruise ships a day (one in the morning and one in the afternoon) to cruise in, around, and back out of the bay. There is nowhere to stop. It is one of the most pristine (and protected) places we have ever visited. Most passengers will bundle up in their warmest clothes, find a good viewing spot out on deck, and just enjoy the amazing beauty of the area. Many ships will have stewards come around with hot chocolate, coffee, etc....which are always in china cups....as the National Park Service strongly discourages any kind of paper or Styrofoam on deck because it could blow off the ship and pollute the environment. If you are lucky you might also spot some whales in the bay. The last time we were there we spotted a Grizzly Bear along the shoreline (about 1/4 mile from the ship). This place belongs to him/her...and we are just visitors passing by :)

Hank

Not totally true. We did a small ship cruise in AK and we docked at the National Park Service dock. We also got really close to the glacier - much closer than the big ships.

DON

I would not pass up Glacier Bay. It’s an amazing day. As for Icy Strait. It’s close to Glacier Bay and Adolphus Point which is an outstanding whale watching excursion stop. Icy Strait has an old cannery with shopping and a couple of restaurants. Also a high and long zip line. The town of Hoonah is about 5 miles and a free bus ride. Hoonah is what real rural Alaska is.

We did not see any whales in the bay but did see sea lions on icebergs. The weather was not great, it was misty, cloudy, fog on the mountain slopes and cold, but calm. There is no noise unless you hear the ice breaking off the glacier.

The major cruise lines will make it a cruising day when it comes to Glacier Bay. What it will be like is anyone's guess in terms of visibility.

I have sailed it many times.

This was the picture perfect day and the best we've experienced.

DSC_4203.jpg

DSC_4215.jpg

DSC_4216.jpg

Or it could be a day like this.

dsc-4984_orig.jpg

dsc-4985_orig.jpg

Please do as I suggested. There is a wealth of knowledge on the Alaska Ports Of Call Board to not only answer questions but information that is already posted that can be of help.

I have sailed Alaska 10+ times and there are others on that board who have sailed it even more then that.

Keith

My husband and I are planning on going on an Alaskan cruise in June. After looking at many reviews I think I want to leave from Vancouver and cruise one way and then rent a car and go to Denali and then fly home from Anchorage.I am trying to figure out which cruise line to take and I can see that cruise lines have good reviews and bad reviews. I am considering Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Holland has 2 different boats. They all go to Ketchikan, Skagway, and Juneau but 2 lines stop at Icy Sraits, Holland stops at Glacier Bay, Norwegian just cruises by Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.Is Icy Strait or Glacier Bay a better place to stop. I read someplace to also consider what you want to do at a stop because they are in the ports different amount of times. It is all a little overwhelming but excited to be able to go so any help is appreciated.

I just wanted to welcome you to Cruise Critic.