Visa for Falkland Islands

garagesalegran

We leave on Emerald Princess for South American cruise 1/17. According to visacentral.com, a visa is required for the Falkland Islands. I had called Princess 2 weeks ago to check if any visas were required after reading the fine print on Princess that obtaining visas were our responsibility. The Princess consultant checked the visa site and told me no visas were required for any of the countries we were visiting. Now I recheck and see that Falklands require a visa. Any U.S. citizen recently taken this cruise and if so did you need a visa? Thanks in advance!!!

We leave on Emerald Princess for South American cruise 1/17. According to visacentral.com, a visa is required for the Falkland Islands. I had called Princess 2 weeks ago to check if any visas were required after reading the fine print on Princess that obtaining visas were our responsibility. The Princess consultant checked the visa site and told me no visas were required for any of the countries we were visiting. Now I recheck and see that Falklands require a visa. Any U.S. citizen recently taken this cruise and if so did you need a visa? Thanks in advance!!!

Here's what you did wrong on visacentral.com....you checked 'tourist' as the reason for your visit.

On a port call via cruise ship you should have checked 'Connecting/Transit'.

Others have already answered your question, but here is a 'cut and paste' from the Falkland Islands website:

Visas

Entry to the Falkland Islands is controlled by the Customs and Immigration Department located in Stanley, Falkland Islands.

In general, cruise ship visitors do not require a visa to enter the Falklands or to participate in shore excursions. However, visitors arriving by air or intending to spend time in the Falklands before or after a cruise may need a visa.

I was in Stanley a few weeks ago and was hunting for a souvenir my daughter wanted. I went to every shop in Stanley, and I can recommend the first tourist shop to the right (maybe 50 yards) from where the tender will drop you off. The shop is facing the harbour and the name, appropriately, is "Harbour View" or something like that.

For a tour, I would recommend the one to Volunteer Point. Patrick Watts runs private tours that members of Cruise Critic often book. This tour is all day and travels over some rough ground. An easier option is to go to Gypsy Cove where there are Magellanic penguins, but no king penguins. There could be a few kings at Volunteer Point, in addition to other species.