Jeans Turned Away on Gala Night

ithaca gal

Being respectful is a two way street - people who feel no need to respect a dress code - which may be part of the reason their shipmates chose that sailing - have little justification for wanting anyone to give a damn about their preferences, or “deal breakers”.

Yes, respect is a two way street. As long as my apparel is considered appropriate, ie, the matre'd approves my entrance, why not give me the same respect that you ask for me to give to you? Your preferences are no more important than mine and both deserve the same respect.

Jeans, (without holes), collared shirts (no tee-shirts, with or without logos, or tank-tops) are fine with me. I just don't get the ball caps, worn either normally or backwards. The dining rooms on HAL ships are generally too warm anyway, so what's with the caps ? My guess for the caps is a vanity issue. Trying to hide male pattern baldness. Nobody on the ship really cares about your favorite team !! Hey... bald is beautiful !! Don't hide it under a cap !!

Really? If you are stewing because someone else was not dressed to “standards “ AND you are still mad enough about it later to give a low score...well, I’d say the issue is the ticked off diner not the dress code breaker.

A mental issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your outrage is misdirected.

Yes, respect is a two way street. As long as my apparel is considered appropriate, ie, the matre'd approves my entrance, why not give me the same respect that you ask for me to give to you? Your preferences are no more important than mine and both deserve the same respect.

The maitre d’ might allow someone to enter who was not in compliance with the standards — because he may feel it not worth a fight with an arrogant guest who feels the standards do not apply to him. You have made it clear that you have little respect for the preferences of people who prefer a more formal atmosphere. I, on the other hand, merely have respect for the right of the line to establish a code — and the right of my fellow passengers to expect that code to be complied with — by denying admission, if necessary.

The maitre d’ might allow someone to enter who was not in compliance with the standards — because he may feel it not worth a fight with an arrogant guest who feels the standards do not apply to him. You have made it clear that you have little respect for the preferences of people who prefer a more formal atmosphere. I, on the other hand, merely have respect for the right of the line to establish a code — and the right of my fellow passengers to expect that code to be complied with — by denying admission, if necessary.

I have little respect for those who wish to impose their preferences on others.

What another passenger wears is the concern of the matre'd. It is not the concern of any other passenger.

If I read Indy D correctly, they are saying 'why get so upset about it that you have to do anything? ' Why not just let it go, the times have changed and what good does it do to get upset and let it ruin your hamburger and French fries. Also, Do you really need to make a comment on the survey? Its not going to change anything.

Mental case is probably too harsh, so is chemical imbalance or nutcase. It is really about just being open-minded and stop getting upset about what other people do.

If you can't deal with it, switch to Cunard cruiselines and switch to the Cunard forum.

Do I need to make a comment on the survey? Of course - that's what the survey is for.

That is, IF I see a grievous infringement. I actually haven't noticed the problem much.

Indeed I did sail with Cunard. And liked it a lot. But not due to the formal attire, really, although we did enjoy that part.

What another passenger wears is the concern of the matre'd. It is not the concern of any other passenger.

You keep calling the dress code “other people’s preferences”. Our “preference” is to sail with a line that calls for slacks and a collared shirt for men on Gala Night. If your “preference” is for something less than that, why choose to sail HAL? Is it really a thrill to “beat the system” (dress code)?

You have no respect for rules or the Maitre’d! Instead you are deliberately disrespecting the Cruise Line’s Rule, of which you are well aware, that states “No Jeans on Gala Nights”! You are putting the Maitre’d in a position to confront a passenger (you) who has no regard or respect and is blantantly challenging that Rule! You are convincing yourself that the Maitre’d is giving his approval by letting you break that Rule when as Navybanker mentioned he just may not want a fight or scene with an arrogant passenger! That is so wrong to put the Maitre’d in that position!

Maybe I am reading the wrong dress code for Gala nights.

What I am reading says slacks and collared shirts are required. No jeans.

I see nothing requiring a tie or jacket. I also see no mention of caps being prohibited. They also make it clear that they don't want people to feel like they need to bring clothes that most people don't wear.

Has the dress code been changed?

The phrase "dress to impress" seems silly to me. I can't believe HAL put that in their dress code.

I don't recall ever being impressed by anyone's clothes.

I see nothing requiring a tie or jacket. I also see no mention of caps being prohibited. They also make it clear that they don't want people to feel like they need to bring clothes that most people don't wear.

The phrase "dress to impress" seems silly to me. I can't believe HAL put that in their dress code.

After reading all of the posts about those who wear shorts to the MDR or jeans on Gala Night, I have come to the conclusion that there is a great game being played of which many are unaware.

Apparently, the object is to skirt the dress code (pun NOT intended) and try to get seated in the MDR without actually meeting the dress code. I’m guessing there is a scorecard spelling out a range of points awarded for getting in with jeans, torn jeans, T-shirts (Points only awarded on Gala Nights), shorts, etc. While the dress code does NOT disallow ball caps on any night, one point is awarded on all nights when worn and doubled on Gala Nights. If a Maitre D’ attempts to suggest that you dine elsewhere and you still get seated, a Bonus is added, dependent on the scene that is made.

But I could be wrong.

Edited by ithaca gal
Error

If I read Indy D correctly, they are saying 'why get so upset about it that you have to do anything? ' Why not just let it go, the times have changed and what good does it do to get upset and let it ruin your hamburger and French fries. Also, Do you really need to make a comment on the survey? Its not going to change anything.

Mental case is probably too harsh, so is chemical imbalance or nutcase. It is really about just being open-minded and stop getting upset about what other people do.

If you can't deal with it, switch to Cunard cruiselines and switch to the Cunard forum.

Correct!

And I wouldn’t want to lower a score due to something that was so trivial it did not affect me personally.

Does it mean that I don’t giggle or mutter under my breath at some of the onboard attire I’ve seen ? Nope, I’m quite the talk behind your back type person, dress ugly and you will be fair game ...but I will not let it ruin my cruise. I refuse to act like a toddler and point fingers while whining that the crew “ do something “ . I won’t not be respectful and kind to others as they wear their ball caps or jeans. I won’t judge your worth based on your cruise attire.. just maybe your fashion sense.

And you wearing a ball cap in the dining room doesn’t make my steak any more tender nor tasty.. or less....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Simply untrue. Ok, I will wear my thong, only, for dinner.....

After reading all of the posts about those who wear shorts to the MDR or jeans on Gala Night, I have come to the conclusion that there is a great game being played of which many are unaware.

Apparently, the object is to skirt the dress code (pun NOT intended) and try to get seated in the MDR without actually meeting the dress code. I’m guessing there is a scorecard spelling out a range of points awarded for getting in with jeans, torn jeans, T-shirts (Points only awarded on Gala Nights), shorts, etc. While the dress code does NOT disallow ball caps on any night, one point is awarded on all nights when worn and doubled on Gala Nights. If a Maitre D’ attempts to suggest that you dine elsewhere and you still get seated, a Bonus is added, dependent on the scene that is made.

But I could be wrong.

If you turn that score card over, you'll find the "Fashion Police Scorecard". It's very similar, you get points for spotting inappropriate dress. Be sure and set up a group competition at your table in the MDR. Only the first person at a table to spot gets the points. For $5, you can register your card with the matre'd. On the last night, the matre'd awards a bottle of house wine to the table with the highest net score, all cards. There are special categories. One for those who crawl around under tables to spot those wearing shorts. Another for "Best Fainting Spell" awarded to the person showing the most outrage at a ball cap. "Best Actor/Actress" for the best complaining scene with the matre'd. Some one should start a thread on cruise critic to compare cards for an all time best score.

Edited by RocketMan275

(y)

You keep calling the dress code “other people’s preferences”. Our “preference” is to sail with a line that calls for slacks and a collared shirt for men on Gala Night. If your “preference” is for something less than that, why choose to sail HAL? Is it really a thrill to “beat the system” (dress code)?

(y)(y)clear.png?emoji-thumbsup-927

If you turn that score card over, you'll find the "Fashion Police Scorecard". It's very similar, you get points for spotting inappropriate dress. Be sure and set up a group competition at your table in the MDR. Only the first person at a table to spot gets the points. For $5, you can register your card with the matre'd. On the last night, the matre'd awards a bottle of house wine to the table with the highest net score, all cards. There are special categories. One for those who crawl around under tables to spot those wearing shorts. Another for "Best Fainting Spell" awarded to the person showing the most outrage at a ball cap. "Best Actor/Actress" for the best complaining scene with the matre'd. Some one should start a thread on cruise critic to compare cards for an all time best score.
Omg, so hilarious. Best post ever. Thank you Rocketman!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I agree with the "dress to impress." It is more than silly. It reeks of elitism.

But caps inside? Really? We were taught as children that caps were not worn indoors. Was it really necessary to specify that in the dress code? I realize that times are changing and dress is becoming less formal - way less formal. However, being neat, tidy and punctual are still considered good manners. Arriving at your host's home for a nice dinner deserves showing up in clothes that indicate respect for your host. And that is not in a baseball cap and t-shirt. Respect goes without saying. It should not require putting it in writing.

... However, being neat, tidy and punctual are still considered good manners. Arriving at your host's home for a nice dinner deserves showing up in clothes that indicate respect for your host. And that is not in a baseball cap and t-shirt. Respect goes without saying. It should not require putting it in writing.

Thought-provoking post. Are some people wearing clothes to dinner in the MDR that they would consider too casual for a dinner party, at which they will not know most of the other guests? If so, why? On a cruise are they alienated, so it doesn't matter them?

This was copied today from HAL's FAQ Section. Is this really so hard for some to comprehend or are some people really that stupid or arrogant! :rolleyes: HAL makes itself pretty clear under the "Shorts" question that they don't consider the MDR a "casual restaurant" and that on Gala Nights jeans are only permitted in casual dining restaurants!

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Ha! That's awesome. I wouldn't dare play that game though because I would get slaughtered. Unlike the people who take notes and start Cruise Critic threads, I can't remember a single outfit on my last cruise other that DW's and mine. ;p

This was copied today from HAL's FAQ Section. Is this really so hard for some to comprehend or are some people really that stupid or arrogant! :rolleyes: HAL makes itself pretty clear under the "Shorts" question that they don't consider the MDR a "casual restaurant" and that on Gala Nights jeans are only permitted in casual dining restaurants!

I'm not debating what the dress code says.

There are many who believe that the cruising experience could be improved by changing the code. What should the dress code say?

Would requiring men to wear jackets make the dinning experience better? Why?

Would allowing shorts ruin the dining experience?

Why?

I suspect the issue of what passengers wear to dinner is far more important on cruise critic that it is at sea.