Jeans Turned Away on Gala Night

ithaca gal

I just got off the Oosterdam and on the last gala night, they allowed three young women in very short shorts and beach wear in for the gala dinner. I had never seen that before. I was surprised. (The waiters seemed to enjoy it. LOL) Still....... enforce the rules or don’t have them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for you thoughtful answer RocketMan!

I wear jeans mostly for physical work. Once in a while I will go out with them. I do not find them of much comfort.

They are good for walking around town....

I grew up wearing blue jeans. I find them very comfortable. Everyone's mileage varies.

I just got off the Oosterdam and on the last gala night, they allowed three young women in very short shorts and beach wear in for the gala dinner. I had never seen that before. I was surprised. (The waiters seemed to enjoy it. LOL) Still....... enforce the rules or don’t have them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There was considerable discussion on the Royal Caribbean board a few years ago about a very "charming" young woman who wore a thong to dinner each night. She was well known by the crew and was seated at the Captains Table. She was known to have done this on multiple RCI cruises.

You'll find that many do not think segregating the dinning room is workable. They will complain that it is too complex. It will divide families when some wan't do dine casually and others do not. They will even argue that the mere sight of a ball cap will ruin their ambiance. Ultimately, they will argue that they are satisfied with the current situation and anyone who doesn't like it can dine in the Lido or cruise on another line.

It's working on NCL. Granted NCL is the most casual of cruise lines but they have separate MDRs.....one with the standard dress code (however slight it may be) and one that allows shorts/t-shirts. Same menu.

It's working on NCL. Granted NCL is the most casual of cruise lines but they have separate MDRs.....one with the standard dress code (however slight it may be) and one that allows shorts/t-shirts. Same menu.

Sounds like a good suggestion to add to the post cruise survey, if one noticed the dress code being ignored.

If implemented, I suspect it will convert a few who want it both ways - wearing their casual clothes while enjoying the ambiance created by others dressing for an elegant dining room.

I'm not wading into the "should/should not" debate per se. But there were a few thoughts I had when reading through this discussion:

First, am I the only one who finds it disconcerting that some who profess to strongly feel that one's dress shouldn't matter are also among the first to make rather salacious references to others wearing short shorts and thongs? :confused: If it's one thing I don't want or expect when going into the MDR to eat dinner, it is ogling of others. Or has the MDR now become Hooters?

Second, I fully recognize it is difficult to judge the extent of agreement on any opinion, but it seems to me that a majority of people are at least "okay" with the current dress code (as being somewhat more relaxed than a few years ago). Does that have to change because a small minority are opposed? If I recall correctly, most of the balcony smoking/cabin smoking changes were not universally supported by all -- and yet the changes were made to presumably reflect the majority opinion.

If folks want to ignore some rules, why not ignore all rules? Feel free to smoke on your balcony, pretend your pet is a service animal, or bring non-potty-trained kinder into the pools.... The rules shouldn't have to apply to you if you feel that strongly about it, right?

Third, it seems this dress-code debate is common to most mass-market lines. I profess I don't follow every forum here -- is it as commonly discussed (and as contentious) on lines that are considered premium or luxury? I know that some or even most of them have a more laid-back approach (e.g., no formal nights) yet I'd expect they also aim for some level above workout shorts and tee shirts.

The small cruise line I travel on fairly often does not have formal evenings, but people always seem to dress appropriately. I admit, I do not sit like a hawk and view everyone entering the dining area, but I have not seen anything objectionable. I wonder if it is because there is no dedicated forum here on CC for such issues to surface (and become entrenched views)? The other possibility is that the largely British clientele are just more used to the idea of dressing for dinner..... ;)

Since I am following the published rules which are available prior to booking a cruise, I am fine in the MDR.

I'm confident that you are but that isn't the issue.

Some love to tell those who do not meet some definition of appropriate dress that they should dine in the lido or their rooms or look for a different cruise line.

If it's fair to tell those who wish to wear blue jeans that they should dine in their rooms, it is equally fair to tell those who are offended by the sight of a ball cap the same thing.

If it's fair to tell those who wish to wear blue jeans that they sail on Carnival, it is equally fair to tell those who are offended by the sight of a ball cap that they should sail on Cunard.

I'm not wading into the "should/should not" debate per se. But there were a few thoughts I had when reading through this discussion:

First, am I the only one who finds it disconcerting that some who profess to strongly feel that one's dress shouldn't matter are also among the first to make rather salacious references to others wearing short shorts and thongs? :confused: If it's one thing I don't want or expect when going into the MDR to eat dinner, it is ogling of others. Or has the MDR now become Hooters?

Are you sure of that? JMHO, but it seems to me that most of the comments about shorts and thongs are not coming from those who "profess to strongly feel that one's dress shouldn't matter." Most of the shorts/thongs comments are made as a form of the "slippery slope argument", ie, if we allow jeans then it is inevitable that shorts and then thongs will surely follow.

Second, I fully recognize it is difficult to judge the extent of agreement on any opinion, but it seems to me that a majority of people are at least "okay" with the current dress code (as being somewhat more relaxed than a few years ago). Does that have to change because a small minority are opposed? If I recall correctly, most of the balcony smoking/cabin smoking changes were not universally supported by all -- and yet the changes were made to presumably reflect the majority opinion.

It's not clear that what the majority of Cruise Critic members want is all that important. Cruise Critic membership is a small fraction of the cruising public and the fraction of the membership that posts here regularly is even smaller.

If folks want to ignore some rules, why not ignore all rules? Feel free to smoke on your balcony, pretend your pet is a service animal, or bring non-potty-trained kinder into the pools.... The rules shouldn't have to apply to you if you feel that strongly about it, right?

Slippery slope?

Third, it seems this dress-code debate is common to most mass-market lines. I profess I don't follow every forum here -- is it as commonly discussed (and as contentious) on lines that are considered premium or luxury? I know that some or even most of them have a more laid-back approach (e.g., no formal nights) yet I'd expect they also aim for some level above workout shorts and tee shirts.

Allowing blue jeans on Gala Nights is a long step from shorts and tee shirts.

The small cruise line I travel on fairly often does not have formal evenings, but people always seem to dress appropriately. I admit, I do not sit like a hawk and view everyone entering the dining area, but I have not seen anything objectionable. I wonder if it is because there is no dedicated forum here on CC for such issues to surface (and become entrenched views)? The other possibility is that the largely British clientele are just more used to the idea of dressing for dinner..... ;)

The other possibility is that the further one moves up the scale, the less dress codes matter.

(some text removed)

(some text removed)

I don't follow all boards here, either. Just HAL and Cunard because those are the lines I sail. Discussion of dress codes are not as contentious on the Cunard board because most posters like formal nights and participate in them happily. In fact, I think there are more complaints about Cunard going to fewer formal nights on transatlantics than there are people complaining that there are too many formal nights. If someone asks "do I have to dress up?" the answer is always yes. And the alternate venues on board are suggested (usually in a polite manner).

(some text deleted)

The other possibility is that the further one moves up the scale, the less dress codes matter.

Are you suggesting that, when further "up the scale", dress codes might not matter ---- being less necessary because the passenger mix is also further "up the scale"?

navybankerteacher, that's how I interpret RocketMan's comment.

Agree, I have cruised on Seabourn and Oceania and the general rule, as far as I can observe, is smart casual. I never noticed even a single individual dressed below a standard that many posters here have indicated as undesirable. I think its unreasonable in this day and age to ask cruisers to dress formally. On the other side of the ledger, I'll never understand what great sacrifice is being made or what enormous burden it is to put on some chinos and a smart collared shirt to dine in the MDR.

Agree, I have cruised on Seabourn and Oceania and the general rule, as far as I can observe, is smart casual. I never noticed even a single individual dressed below a standard that many posters here have indicated as undesirable. I think its unreasonable in this day and age to ask cruisers to dress formally. On the other side of the ledger, I'll never understand what great sacrifice is being made or what enormous burden it is to put on some chinos and a smart collared shirt to dine in the MDR.

Of course, neither Seabourn nor Oceania attract the numbers of "Walmart shoppers" and "Jersey Shore" cast members found on mass market lines - so the ambience found on their ships is simply different.

Of course, neither Seabourn nor Oceania attract the numbers of "Walmart shoppers" and "Jersey Shore" cast members found on mass market lines - so the ambience found on their ships is simply different.

Well, I didn't want to say it, but you are spot on, of course.

Is it your position that we need the dress code to control the "Walmart shoppers" and "Jersey Shore" cast members?

Thanks bd1956 and cruisemom42. Your posts are the two which IMO would serve well as capstones of this thread. I hope they are not overlooked due to the excessive posting of some of us.:)

Thanks for your mention of my post on this thread. I totally agree with cruisemom42. Unfortunately we are living in a time where society is "dumming down". There is little regard for what I believe is common acceptable behavior and dress. To many people believe they should be able to wear what they want when and where they want. They are lazy, crass, and care only about themselves. Very unfortunate!! I know some of these people. They are my wife's relatives. They would come to a funeral or a wedding wearing sweat shirts and ball caps, and be wearing the ball caps indoors as well.

dmg1956

There was an interesting program on CBC radio this week that made me think of this thread. Dressing well (or not) is a direct reflection of yourself. Your style of clothing that you choose will project certain things about who you are as a person. You do not need designer clothing to dress nicely. If I can find a link to the podcast I will post it here. Personally, I need to dress my best in order to project my best, most confident self. That applies to work, the grocery store, or working out. If I feel I'm dressed slovenly, even at the gym, it does make me work less hard. Funny how that happens, isn't it?

This is just a reflection of me, and how I internalized the broadcast I heard earlier this week.

Thanks for your mention of my post on this thread. I totally agree with cruisemom42. Unfortunately we are living in a time where society is "dumming down". There is little regard for what I believe is common acceptable behavior and dress. To many people believe they should be able to wear what they want when and where they want. They are lazy, crass, and care only about themselves. Very unfortunate!! I know some of these people. They are my wife's relatives. They would come to a funeral or a wedding wearing sweat shirts and ball caps, and be wearing the ball caps indoors as well.

dmg1956

I meant bd1958, but thanks for your post too.

I've overposted. I'm done. 😴

There was an interesting program on CBC radio this week that made me think of this thread. Dressing well (or not) is a direct reflection of yourself. Your style of clothing that you choose will project certain things about who you are as a person. You do not need designer clothing to dress nicely. If I can find a link to the podcast I will post it here. Personally, I need to dress my best in order to project my best, most confident self. That applies to work, the grocery store, or working out. If I feel I'm dressed slovenly, even at the gym, it does make me work less hard. Funny how that happens, isn't it?

This is just a reflection of me, and how I internalized the broadcast I heard earlier this week.

Didn't Shakespeare note this over 400 years ago in Hamlet:

"the apparel doth oft proclaim the man"

The "smart casual" (or country club casual that I believe they call it) on Oceania was certainly not the smart casual on HAL.

In fact, many were dressed nicer than some that go to Gala night on HAL. And certainly, everyone was dressed to standard if not above from what I saw.

I am not fashion police though so can't prove my statements with scorecards, video or photos. You'll just have to take my word for it. :halo::*;)