Are white jeans considered “blue jeans”?

forgap

Just an observation, we are currently on the Navigator for the next 120+ days. After reading this thread, I have been watching the things people wear to dinner in the Compass Rose. Though most people dress within the guide lines, I have seen just about everything including jeans at dinner.

One entertainer wears dark jeans all the time after 6, but I guess that is OK as it is not the Compass Rose. There have been several men in the restaurant with jeans (both white and dark blue/black) on and they actually looked much nicer than men in the sloppy shirts and baggy poorly fitting kaki slacks.

But the shoe choices are the most hilarious...fuzzy house shoes...just needed rabbit ears to complete the look!

In case one might think that there are a lot of people new to Regent on board.....there are 450+ return cruisers according to Jamie, the CD.

I had to laugh at this as it certainly brought back some memories.

I too had a stringent school dress code which I and many female classmates pushed to the limit and questioned, petitioned and eventually protested. Our minor Hemline Rebellion effected both a new uniform and dress code.

Interesting! I went to public school in Los Angeles and we did not question anything - ever! Our school was about 50% Caucasian and 50% Hispanic with the only African American being the Principal (whom we all loved). No gangs - no protests -- no problems. This is a far cry from the educational systems today where children graduate high school without being able to read.

Sorry for getting off topic but, IMO, it feeds into the constant arguments about wearing jeans/denim. Those of us that were raised to respect authority (or in this case, Regent's policies) don't even think about how to get away with dressing in white/pink/purple, etc. jeans. As I said a couple of days ago, if men cannot bother to wear slacks (or docker type pants) with a collared shirt and women can't manage to dress according to the stated Dress Code, go to another cruise line. As mentioned, you can wear just about anything at night on Oceania in one of their dining venues so that would be a good choice for some.

Interesting! I went to public school in Los Angeles and we did not question anything - ever! Our school was about 50% Caucasian and 50% Hispanic with the only African American being the Principal (whom we all loved). No gangs - no protests -- no problems. This is a far cry from the educational systems today where children graduate high school without being able to read.

Sorry for getting off topic but, IMO, it feeds into the constant arguments about wearing jeans/denim. Those of us that were raised to respect authority (or in this case, Regent's policies) don't even think about how to get away with dressing in white/pink/purple, etc. jeans. As I said a couple of days ago, if men cannot bother to wear slacks (or docker type pants) with a collared shirt and women can't manage to dress according to the stated Dress Code, go to another cruise line. As mentioned, you can wear just about anything at night on Oceania in one of their dining venues so that would be a good choice for some.

I find that interesting as well ,Tc. Must have been a different era than mine, child of the 60's and all that entails:)

I have no problem with Regent's dress code (but also could not care less what anyone wears) but I do think your comment about finding another line is a bit harsh. I don't believe that people wanting to wear jeans is any different than customers asking for internet or laundry packages, or asking ships to go smoke free. It's a sign of the times. They are simply stating to Regent what they would like to have happen.

I see the biggest problem with Regent and the dress code is the failure to enforce. It's a farce to have requirements and selectively enforce them.

I am a big rule follower, so I have no issue following the dress code, whatever that is. Funny, my surgical assistant is going on an Alaska cruise on Princess. There are 3 formal nights. On a 7 day cruise. She is all excited to dress up and was somewhat disappointed when I told her she could wear the same gown for each of them, and no one would notice.

Whereas we are big followers of cruise line dress codes also, I don't criticize those who wish for a change. And if we don't like a line's dress code, we just don't book it. But I will say this: the informal "dress codes" on land in the US are changing toward more casual. And these differ from area to area in the US. For example, I've been to a lot of "higher class" events where I live, and have never worn a tie. If somebody asked me to dress so that I would look my best (for a photo, for example) I would wear nice blue jeans, a collared shirt or a dress "T" (untucked), nice shoes, and a sports jacket. And that's pretty much what I wear anywhere I go around here. I have to modify that on Regent during evenings -- lose the jeans and wear casual slacks -- and that's no problem. But we agree that the thing to do if you don't like a lines dress code, just don't cruise on it -- as we do in the case of lines with REAL formal nights.

Regent has already responded to increasing casual dress in the US and other countries. It used to have a dress code with formal nights requiring a dark suit and tie or tux -- although men wearing a coat and tie were seldom denied service. Now ties are gone and coats are no longer required -- though I like to wear one, and I can. Regent just doesn't allow jeans in the evening, but does certainly allow casual slacks. I admit I would like to wear jeans and a sports coat. But I realize that if a line allows jeans, it is difficult to draw the line to prohibit those that come new with holes in them -- and that line should be drawn in my opinion.

When we see what the world looks like in general these days, we aren't so sure that we want to embrace "a sign of the times" look.

Could not agree with you more!

Loon Call - you made two statements - one which I strongly agree with and the other I strongly disagree with:

1. I agree with this statement: "I see the biggest problem with Regent and the dress code is the failure to enforce. It's a farce to have requirements and selectively enforce them."

2. And, disagree with this one: ""I don't believe that people wanting to wear jeans is any different than customers asking for internet or laundry packages, or asking ships to go smoke free. It's a sign of the times. They are simply stating to Regent what they would like to have happen." IMO these issues (especially laundry packages and dress code could not be further apart.

Regent states every day in Passages that jeans are not permitted after 6:00 p.m. This has been the policy forever (although the dress code changed from Formal/Informal/Country Club Casual to Elegant Casual just a few years ago - the no jeans policy has remained the same). I don't see that particular policy changing for reasons that I have already stated. If people stated that they would appreciate it if jeans were permitted - Regent would hear you a lot more than by blatantly disrespecting the Dress Code. It is those passengers that may be more comfortable on another cruise line.

Free Laundry is a promotion and is being given to everyone. Laundry packages is a suggestion to Regent and internet started as a promotion - became policy and went downhill from there.

While I personally feel that the Dress Code is much ado about nothing (simply follow the darn code or go to another cruise line), the laundry issue is new and concerning to some long time loyal passengers that have earned the benefit. Not the same at all.

Agreed, as I think everybody has already fully expressed their opinions about laundry. Nothing more to say.

On jeans and the dress code, I was on a Celebrity music cruise two weeks ago, and read their dress code before I booked. I was surprised to see that it allowed “designer jeans” on all evenings in all dining rooms and lounges. Now, most designer jeans I have seen look weird to me, and many have holes in them! I took some casual slacks and “standard” Levi’s — newer with no holes in them. I wore the Levi’s every evening with nice shirt, shoes, and sport coat — with no objection from ship’s staff. Moreover, I never saw anybody wearing jeans with holes in them, nor any that looked weird in any way. A tribute to the existence of common sense! If Regent were to allow jeans that are in good shape, from what I saw on that cruise I don’t think any of the guests would show up in the evening looking “ratty”. Conversely, if Regent doesn’t wish to allow good jeans and require casual slacks, I see no problem with that either. If I otherwise like a cruise that Regent offers, it is very easy for me to wear Dockers or similar slacks instead. In the darkened dining rooms, lounges, and auditoriums, I doubt any fellow guests would notice the difference. And whether I wear good jeans or good casual slacks matters too little to me to be a factor.

Dolebludger, when Regent went "Elegant Casual" no one could have imagined men wearing ratty polo shirts with their stomach hanging out. Don't underestimate how some passengers will wear the bare minimum.

Thank you for giving me another cruise line to refer the protestor's to. Now we have Oceania and Celebrity:D

Well, you may have missed my point. Actually, everybody was dressed pretty nicely on Celebrity, even if they wore jeans. If I’d been on Regent, I would have dressed pretty much the same, except instead of Levi’s I would have worn Dockers, which would have looked about the same in the low evening light.

And the definition of “jeans” gets a little blurred. The stores are selling pants that are cut and sewn like Levi jeans BUT they are not made of denim. And they are selling pants cut and sewn like casual slacks, but the cloth IS denim. Now, I think I know what Regent means, so I take and wear pants cut like casual snacks that are not made of denim. And as to clothing that is in bad condition or is ill fitting, I have no idea how to draft a dress code to prevent these things. I wish somebody did.

So this is a difficult topic, and I don’t have all the answers. No, not at all.

Edited by Dolebludger

Could not agree with you more!

Loon Call - you made two statements - one which I strongly agree with and the other I strongly disagree with:

1. I agree with this statement: "I see the biggest problem with Regent and the dress code is the failure to enforce. It's a farce to have requirements and selectively enforce them."

2. And, disagree with this one: ""I don't believe that people wanting to wear jeans is any different than customers asking for internet or laundry packages, or asking ships to go smoke free. It's a sign of the times. They are simply stating to Regent what they would like to have happen." IMO these issues (especially laundry packages and dress code could not be further apart.

Regent states every day in Passages that jeans are not permitted after 6:00 p.m. This has been the policy forever (although the dress code changed from Formal/Informal/Country Club Casual to Elegant Casual just a few years ago - the no jeans policy has remained the same). I don't see that particular policy changing for reasons that I have already stated. If people stated that they would appreciate it if jeans were permitted - Regent would hear you a lot more than by blatantly disrespecting the Dress Code. It is those passengers that may be more comfortable on another cruise line.

Free Laundry is a promotion and is being given to everyone. Laundry packages is a suggestion to Regent and internet started as a promotion - became policy and went downhill from there.

While I personally feel that the Dress Code is much ado about nothing (simply follow the darn code or go to another cruise line), the laundry issue is new and concerning to some long time loyal passengers that have earned the benefit. Not the same at all.

I think you completely missed my point regarding some guests wanting to see jeans allowed. I said nothing about free laundry or disregarding the dress code. There is another thread on this board re:suggestions for Regent that includes everything from a better website and communication to review of SSS benefits to yes...laundry packages. Requests about the dress code are no different. I think SOME people ARE stating "that they would appreciate it if jeans were permitted".

And as far as I recollect Elegant Casual has been in place for 8 or 9 years not just a few. Who's to say Regent won't make changes again?

And again to be clear I personally have no problem with the dress code - other than fickle enforcement-this is about people being able to make suggestions for change.

There are posters who would like Regent to do away with included excursions but enjoy other aspects of the line. Should they leave and go to another cruise line? Or should they continue to give Regent their opinion about it?

There is no reason why a customer should not make suggestions of what they would like. Companies spend millions on research and consumer insight to develop brand loyalty and have to evolve as consumers and trends do.

I think you completely missed my point regarding some guests wanting to see jeans allowed. I said nothing about free laundry or disregarding the dress code. There is another thread on this board re:suggestions for Regent that includes everything from a better website and communication to review of SSS benefits to yes...laundry packages. Requests about the dress code are no different. I think SOME people ARE stating "that they would appreciate it if jeans were permitted".

And as far as I recollect Elegant Casual has been in place for 8 or 9 years not just a few. Who's to say Regent won't make changes again?

And again to be clear I personally have no problem with the dress code - other than fickle enforcement-this is about people being able to make suggestions for change.

There are posters who would like Regent to do away with included excursions but enjoy other aspects of the line. Should they leave and go to another cruise line? Or should they continue to give Regent their opinion about it?

There is no reason why a customer should not make suggestions of what they would like. Companies spend millions on research and consumer insight to develop brand loyalty and have to evolve as consumers and trends do.

Don't think that we will lever see eye to eye which is okay. Just want to respond to a couple of things.

1. You did mention laundry in the sentence "I don't believe that people wanting to wear jeans is any different than customers asking for internet or laundry packages, or asking ships to go smoke free." This is what I responded too.

2. Regarding excursions - many people left Regent over included excursions and most have not returned to Regent. I "see" these posters on other luxury cruise boards now. And yes - if someone is bothered by included excursions, I would suggest that they try another cruise line (we did when we were upset with the concierge program). While I still dislike the concierge program as well as included excursions, I've learned that the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side and I can now pretty much ignore these programs. So, my advice to try another cruise line is not necessarily bad for Regent. When people return they don't complain as much as before (until new policies rear their ugly heads and the process begins again).

Getting back on topic - IMO, the dress code is not a big deal. And, if it is for some folks, try another cruise line (not Silversea as you will be wearing suits, ties, jackets, tuxedos on many nights.) Silversea guests love their dress code and also suggest on CC that posters go to another line if they don't like it.

Just want to mention that Cwn posted yesterday from Navigator on the world cruise and a few people are have dinner in CR wearing smart jeans. The post also mentioned that there are 450 return cruisers onboard. Interesting ;) Jean.

And this speaks to the lack of enforcement of the policy. According to a discussion I had with a ship's officer, Corporate supports enforcing the "no jeans" dress code policy. It is the onboard crew that is dropping the ball.

"Don't think that we will lever see eye to eye which is okay. Just want to respond to a couple of things.

1. You did mention laundry in the sentence "I don't believe that people wanting to wear jeans is any different than customers asking for internet or laundry packages, or asking ships to go smoke free." This is what I responded too."

I simply like to be quoted correctly. So to be clear I was talking about customers suggesting laundry packages not free laundry as in the current promotion which has stirred up the proverbial pot.

"Don't think that we will lever see eye to eye which is okay. Just want to respond to a couple of things.

1. You did mention laundry in the sentence "I don't believe that people wanting to wear jeans is any different than customers asking for internet or laundry packages, or asking ships to go smoke free." This is what I responded too."

I simply like to be quoted correctly. So to be clear I was talking about customers suggesting laundry packages not free laundry as in the current promotion which has stirred up the proverbial pot.

Not sure how I quoted you incorrectly - it was a simple cut and paste (and adding quote marks). And, once again, we do not agree. The issue that I felt stirred the pot was the current promotion for included free laundry for everyone on the ship. There were only one or two posters that suggested a laundry package at a more reasonable price and even I didn't disagree with that.

Guess this is another case of agreeing to disagree and also misinterpreting posts (on both sides).

And this speaks to the lack of enforcement of the policy. According to a discussion I had with a ship's officer, Corporate supports enforcing the "no jeans" dress code policy. It is the onboard crew that is dropping the ball.

On the Explorer, I saw several people wearing jeans going into dinner last night. it was Embarkation night and perhaps passengers were tired from their travels. Generally, most people try to follow the dress code. There was a time when specialty restaurants had a more formal dress code, perhaps dress code could depend on venue. However, if Corporate supports a “no jeans” dress policy, why are some of the new uniforms worn by servers less formal than Burger King? Many things have changed at Regent since I started with Regent 15 years ago, and I imagine they will continue to change in the future including dress code.

On the Explorer, I saw several people wearing jeans going into dinner last night. it was Embarkation night and perhaps passengers were tired from their travels. Generally, most people try to follow the dress code. There was a time when specialty restaurants had a more formal dress code, perhaps dress code could depend on venue. However, if Corporate supports a “no jeans” dress policy, why are some of the new uniforms worn by servers less formal than Burger King? Many things have changed at Regent since I started with Regent 15 years ago, and I imagine they will continue to change in the future including dress code.

The last night on the ship is "Casual" -- the only night where jeans are acceptable (although most of us don't wear them). The excuse is that people are packing that night which doesn't exactly make sense to me. On our next cruise, we are leaving the ship 9:00 p.m. on the last night but will still wear slacks and a nice top on the last night. We don't even pack jeans -- too heavy in most climates. After dinner I'll change into more relaxed pants and a top and off to the airport we'll go!

Not sure how I quoted you incorrectly - it was a simple cut and paste (and adding quote marks). And, once again, we do not agree. The issue that I felt stirred the pot was the current promotion for included free laundry for everyone on the ship. There were only one or two posters that suggested a laundry package at a more reasonable price and even I didn't disagree with that.

Guess this is another case of agreeing to disagree and also misinterpreting posts (on both sides).

:confused:

And, once again, you only think we disagree.

This thread, which started about jeans onboard in specific and the dress code in general, has sort of gone off the rails. I guess others must be more passionate about onboard laundry availability (at reasonable cost) than even we are! So back to onboard evening dress for men.

If any of you pick up a copy of GQ magazine (or any other that features clothing fashion for men) you are almost certain to see a few photos of models wearing blue jeans (no holes or rips), a silk finished dress "T" or collared shirt untucked (no tie), a sports coat, and interesting imported leather casual shoes (I like Pikolinos). And I doubt that any will think that the model is inappropriately dressed for evenings onboard. Of course on Regent, Dockers have to be substituted for the jeans, but that isn't a big deal. Nor would it be a big deal if the jeans were allowed. The look remains the same. Now, from posts above, I don't think that is the look for men that anybody objects to for evenings on Regent. Instead, it appears that some men technically comply with the existing dress code by wearing slacks and a polo shirt, except that the slacks and shirt are in poor condition and are ill fitting on the person. A man can be in full compliance with the code and wear the clothing types specified therein, but still can look like a bum if the clothes are in poor condition and don't fit well. The problem is, I don't think anybody at Regent knows how to develop a dress code that addresses condition and fit of clothing, and not just styling and fabric type. And I don't know how either. And I just wish somebody did.

To make it clear, I really have no problem with Regent's current dress code as to style and fabric of clothes that meet code, and those that don't. Just have to substitute Dockers for the jeans I usually wear. If given a choice, Not a big deal. I would rather be allowed to wear my jeans, but this won't keep me from cruising Regent. But as to lines with real formal nights, I just won't go.

Long ago I stopped giving a hoot about dungarees (or cargo pants) et al. What I find more disturbing is customers refusing to obey the rules as stated and crew refusing to enforce them. Does the captain have any say in the matter? Do the staff get written up for not doing their job? In the event of an emergency, I have no doubt these same people will do as they please. It really is annoying in general.

We leave in 10 days and I’m forcing my husband to, at least, pile up the clothes he plans to take so I can “edit” his selections. Left to his own devices, he would have no dress shirts, no belts, and insufficient underwear in the pile.

Although we are gold on Regent, I am uncertain whether white jeans are acceptable after six. They are pressed and belted but they are denim. What say ye, fashion police?

Lol. Thanks for the laugh. Sounds like my house before a trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums