Any NEWS on VV? Please post it here...

wwcruisers

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/sustainableshipscom-livecast-hones-scarlet-lady

SustainableShips.com's July 15 livecast features Virgin Voyages' Jill Stoneberg, director, sustainability & social impact.

Host Joyce Landry interviews Stoneberg about the back story of Scarlet Lady.

The livecast is scheduled for 1 p.m. EDT July 15. Registration is here.

While looking for any updates on Scarlet Lady which is at anchor off Genoa, I found that there's a ship with an AIS transponder of Valiant Lady, but it's a small Canadian registered fishing boat not the VV cruise ship (which apparently is not far along enough to have its AIS transponder on yet).

Edited by Biker19

14 hours ago, Biker19 said:

While looking for any updates on Scarlet Lady which is at anchor off Genoa, I found that there's a ship with an AIS transponder of Valiant Lady, but it's a small Canadian registered fishing boat not the VV cruise ship (which apparently is not far along enough to have its AIS transponder on yet).

The funny thing is the pools on both ships are the same size 😄 <just kidding >

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2020 at 5:53 PM, garymfreedman said:

Although there are still 100 days until the first sailing on October 16(And my sailing), with how bad Florida is, especially MIAMI-Dade county, things are not looking good for October.......

On the bright side, with all the money we've saved this year from not being able to travel, dine out, other frivolous spending, I traded in my car and got an (entry level) Tesla. If I'm stuck to the ground I might as well enjoy it. 

• Like 1

PortMiami hopes to negotiate modifications to Virgin Voyages' new cruise terminal in a bid to reduce capital expenditures during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The unspecified modifications would entail design, construction and delivery.

And adjustsments to capital recovery obligations

The Miami-Dade County Board of Commissioners is to consider a resolution at its virtual meeting today that also authorizes adjustments to the capital recovery obligations based on the savings realized on capital expenditures.

In September 2019, the board approved a preferential berthing rights agreement for Virgin that included the county's construction of Cruise Terminal V on 5.1 acres of land located at the port's northwest corner, facing downtown Miami.

The project includes a new bulkhead and apron; a new terminal complex; provision, staging, loading and intermodal areas with a substantial completion date of Oct. 15, 2021.

$175.5m design-build contract

Following a competitive bidding process, the county entered into a design-build contract with Suffolk Construction Co. for an amount not to exceed $175.5m.

In the context of the COVID pandemic, the county and its cruise partners have been working to identify potential reductions in capital expenditures. The resolution up for consideration would create a mechanism for amendments to the design, construction and delivery requirements in the agreement that would yield 'substantial savings' to the county.

Authority is requested because the agreement with Virgin requires the county to develop the project in a manner consistent with a design criteria package and delivery of the project by Oct. 15, 2021. In its current form, the agreement only authorizes reductions in scope from the design criteria package when cost overruns are incurred. An amendment would grant the county authority to make scope reductions that are mutually acceptable to the county and Virgin, which would generate savings to the county.

Talks with Virgin ongoing

The county and Virgin have been collaborating to identify specific elements of the project that can be modified to realize cost savings without impacting the project's overall caliber. The port has already begun cost-reduction negotiations with Suffolk and the resolution for consideration will complement those talks.

Biker19 - Thanks for the post about the Sustainable Ships livecast. Unfortunately, the echo here was so bad I could not continue listening. Hopefully they will invite the guest from Virgin back after they fix their audio problem.

AD26A0D0-CAF5-4A0D-8498-8EB22D930D18.thumb.jpeg.4364150b21a226a51195bbe919581af5.jpeg

Was quite surprised to spot the Scarlet Lady in Genoa today at one of the passenger docks (didn’t realise it was back in Europe). Heard someone making an announcement over the loudspeaker onboard as I took this photo, but couldn’t understand what they were saying.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pomegranate22 said:

Was quite surprised to spot the Scarlet Lady in Genoa today at one of the passenger docks (didn’t realise it was back in Europe).

She's been there for a few weeks and normally anchored off the coast, not docked. She's supposed to go to the Ficanteri yard for an HVAC upgrade before returning to the US.

47 minutes ago, Localitcompanies said:

Rumor of Industry wide North American cancellations through 12-15-2020. Anyone heard anything?

Right now, only PRINCESS cruises has postponed cruises through December 15, except in Australia. With covid still growing, and Miami-Dade country one of the worst in the country, I do not see any sailings the rest of this eyar. Already stated planning with my travel agent replacement Voyage for spring..If October is not cancelled, I will sail-If it is, I will already have plan in place.

Edited by garymfreedman

11 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Bahamas bans Americans: I thought Richard's Virgin resort club, was in the Bahamas?

Pretty sure it is.  But so are most of the other cruise lines' private islands.  I know Royal, NCL and Disney have them in the Bahamas.  Just convinces me we are unlikely to be able to cruise anymore this year.  

33 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

Pretty sure it is.  But so are most of the other cruise lines' private islands.  I know Royal, NCL and Disney have them in the Bahamas.  Just convinces me we are unlikely to be able to cruise anymore this year.  

But it is not a private island, it is part of the Hilton Bimini, thus the ban of Americans would kill Richard's exclusive club. 

1 hour ago, gkbiiii said:

But it is not a private island, it is part of the Hilton Bimini, thus the ban of Americans would kill Richard's exclusive club. 

Agreed, at least for as long as the ban is in effect.  Strange times. 

I woke up yesterday morning and was surprised to see this site from my terrace! The Scarlet Lady anchored in Villefranche-sur-mer! I thought I would post here but looks like the almighty Board was already tracking her progress. Anyway, it sure was surprising to see a cruise ship in the harbor and very mysterious to me why Virgin would be putting her here! Very pretty looking vessel.

IMG_1110.JPG

• Thanks 1