Any NEWS on VV? Please post it here...

wwcruisers

54 minutes ago, garymfreedman said:

Virgin got a D----After all the work they've done...

I have problems with the way the organization graded the lines - one catagory was sewage treatment. The description was do they use state-of-the-art systems or do they only minimally treat the wastewater? No cruiseline got higher than a "C". I would expect that Virgin has the latest available technology, not some junk. So why a "C"? And failing grades in air and water pollution. Really? Same grades as other lines that DID pollute pristine waters. Not a fair comparison at all. I would tend to agree with Virgin's response. They are helping to lead the industry toward a cleaner future. The article made no mention of technology innovations, no single use plastics, etc. A very negative piece overall.

13 hours ago, twodjs said:

I have problems with the way the organization graded the lines - one catagory was sewage treatment. The description was do they use state-of-the-art systems or do they only minimally treat the wastewater? No cruiseline got higher than a "C". I would expect that Virgin has the latest available technology, not some junk. So why a "C"? And failing grades in air and water pollution. Really? Same grades as other lines that DID pollute pristine waters. Not a fair comparison at all. I would tend to agree with Virgin's response. They are helping to lead the industry toward a cleaner future. The article made no mention of technology innovations, no single use plastics, etc. A very negative piece overall.

If you read the report you will see that.....

• The ship does not have plug-in capability, earning it an F for air pollution reduction
  • It does have a scrubber installed earning Virgin an F for water quality compliance since scrubber use merely converts air pollution into toxic water pollution.
  • The Scarlet Lady has installed an advanced sewage treatment system, resulting in a grade of C for the company’s 60 percent sewage treatment score.
  • The ship's score was an F, but since Virgin received an A for Transparency - the cruise line's score was raised to a D.

The take away seems to be that in FOE's opinion, cruising is fundamentally terrible for the environment and Virgin is no better than other cruise lines.  It seems sometimes the best available technology (e.g. sewage treatment) is still far from perfect and earns no ship better than a C score.

Here's the report for Virgin

https://foe.org/cruise-lines/virgin-voyages/

You can compare it to Disney's report and see why they scored higher

https://foe.org/cruise-lines/disney-cruise-line/

Edited by mnocket

Thanks mnocket for providing more detail than I found on my search for report information. Very surprised that Virgin doesn't have plug-in ability when docked. Curious if using the low sulfur content fuel allows Disney to not have to utilize scrubbers before discharging the smoke from their stacks? I have a problem with FOE failing every ship that utilizes scrubbers without giving any credit to Virgin for also installing a catalytic system for reducing nitrogen oxide and particulates. And I still disagree with penalizing ships that have installed the best available sewage treatment systems. That approach guarantees that no ship can receive an "A" rating.

It looks like the nation, Florida and Miami-Dade are dropping in numbers nicely. Unless there is another flare up, I think they will sail in November.  There have been no google alerts on them cancelling more.

florida.thumb.png.f7fef78700769804ae6f3dae056bb40d.png

people are dying every day! i don’t see the same happiness you see.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On 9/24/2020 at 10:27 PM, drewdawg199 said:

Spoke to VV today, I asked about November/December 2020 voyages out of Miami, they mentioned that there would be an announcement in the next week or two about them....

November is out.  

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23571-virgin-cancels-november-sailings.html

On 9/30/2020 at 11:01 PM, garymfreedman said:

So....Trump says cruising after October31... He over rules the CDC..  Doesn't mean it's right, but that is the latest .

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/09/trump-admin-overrules-cdc-director-on-extending-ban-on-cruises/

Not exactly. Here's a fuller explanation of the situation..... 

At the task force meeting, the CDC presented a recommendation that the No Sail Order be extended for 5 months.  Pence decided to reject that recommendation in favor of a 1 month extension followed by a month-to-month reassessment.  This does not mean that cruising will commence in November.  The No Sail Order may well be extended once again (as has been done repeatedly) depending on the conditions at that time.

Speculation:  I don't know the reason Pence favors a month-to-month approach rather than an outright 5 month extension, but I can make a pretty good guess.  If the No Sail Order was extended for 5 more months there would likely be severe ramifications for many cruise lines.  Ships might be shifted from warm lay up to cold lay up, layoffs may accelerate, some cruise lines may opt to reorganize under bankruptcy if all hope for becoming cash flow positive is delayed by another 5 months, etc.    Now it's true that a month-to-month approach may still stretch into next year, but it keeps alive the possibility for cruising to resume sooner if conditions allow.

Basically the CDC is saying that based on the best available data and opinions, including projections for vaccine availability and the forecasted course of the pandemic, it is not likely that conditions will allow for a resumption of cruising until Feb'21 at the earliest.  What the administration is saying is that given the ramifications of a 5 month delay, it's better to take things a month at a time.  I wouldn't pin too much hope on a November resumption of cruising in the US.  The administration's approach offer a glimmer of hope, but I'm afraid that's all it is.

I have no doubt the decision to ignore the science and open up cruising just before election day is 100% politically motivated. Glad to see that Virgin is resisting the urge to open while the curves are up and the science says wait. We have moved our cruise to March, 2022 without any problem. 

• 4 weeks later...

Virgin Voyages has selected DeCurtis Shield as a core component in its “Voyage Well” program, according to a press release, as part of a comprehensive set of mitigation steps and in line with the guidelines and mandates from industry and governmental agencies.

According to a press release, the “Voyage Well” Plan sets forth to increase crew and passenger safety in light of not just the COVID-19 pandemic, but also as a set of evolutions to increase the overall safety and health of the crew and guests moving forward.

DeCurtis Shield has been selected as a primary edge mitigation layer. Integrating the edge checkpoints into a holistic and robust infrastructure enables evolution as new threats surface. This approach is not only the correct thing to do tactically but also sets a strategic direction for Virgin, according to a statement. 

“Our goal, first and foremost, is to ensure the health and safety of our crew in order for us to create a safe environment for our guests,” said Andy Schwalb, CIO, Virgin Voyages. “Our experience with DeCurtis and their ability to deliver in critical areas with strategic solutions was the major determining factor.”

DeCurtis Shield focuses on improving indoor environments to quickly implement health screenings at any secure entry or exit point, the company said.  The result is a very fast and exceptionally accurate temperature reading. This technology is not just an answer to COVID-19, but a critical part of a mitigating strategy to lessen onboard outbreaks.

Shield kiosks are used at entry and exit points to seamlessly screen for elevated body temperature, integrate health questionnaires, as well as other screening actions like mask detection. The ability to be a foundational element; easily and quickly deployed as well as part of a larger, holistic safety, health and security infrastructure makes DeCurtis Shield a unique offering.

“It is rare in business to be able to help address a global problem,” said Derek Fournier, President and CEO, DeCurtis Corporation. “We are proud and excited to assist Virgin Voyages increase overall health, safety and security for their crew and guests. We know they see this area as critical for all lines as we collaborate to raise the bar on health, safety and security.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While cruise ships are on hold and not sailing, there is plenty going at PortMiami with Virgin Voyages; new cruise terminal rising up. The cruise line has released some new photos that show the current progress of the development.

Virgin Voyages Terminal V

The cruise line that has yet to officially kick-start sailings, has shared the latest construction photos of its future cruise terminal at the cruise capital of the world, PortMiami in Florida.

Construction of the terminal is still in the early stages and is now starting to rise. For the first time, we can see some of the physical building going up, and over the coming months, we’ll start to see the facility take shape.

PortMiami also recently posted some video footage of the construction site on December 2:

The terminal is located at the northwest side of the port just off the side of the main terminal row that caters to all the major cruise lines. Once completed the Virgin facility will be 100,000 square feet and its Miami-inspired design is thanks to designers from Arquitectonica.

The terminal will feature pal tree grove shaped roofing that will be a pleasant view across from the Miami skyline. The two-story facility will also have a VIP area, ride-sharing areas, and a lot more which the cruise line no doubt tease through 2021.

The terminal is scheduled to be completed in November 2021 which should be around the same time that Valiant Lady finally debuts.

At the moment Virgin Voyages is on hold and the cruise line has recently announced that both of its ships will remain on hold even longer. Scarlet Lady will begin cruises out of Miami on May 9, 2021, and sister ship Valiant Lady will start sailing from the same port on November 14, 2021.

https://www.cruisehive.com/new-construction-photos-of-future-virgin-voyages-miami-cruise-terminal/44050

Edited by Biker19

Yesterday, I received an email from VV saying that my June 2nd 2021 sailing has now been chartered... They gave me the option of a refund, future cruise credit, or sailing on the chartered cruise as planned... Only issue is, that the charter is a "gay & lesbian" cruise (*not that there's anything wrong with that) just not the sort of thing I would be into... So, here we go again, trying to rebook... This is now the 4th time I've been cancelled on, and I'm this close to just giving up on them as a viable cruise line...

7 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

This is now the 4th time I've been cancelled on, and I'm this close to just giving up on them as a viable cruise line..

Those cancellations could have happened on any cruise line. Take the refund, not because of the line, but because of the state of affairs in general.

CRUISE_Tom_McAlpin_Terminal_V.jpg
Tom McAlpin surveys the 'bones' for what he promised will be a beautiful terminal, exclusive to Virgin Voyages
'Fun, exciting, efficient and modern' is how Tom McAlpin describes Terminal V, the exclusive future home for Virgin Voyages at PortMiami.

It will have a 'really cool' palm grove theme, Virgin pizzazz and the best location with beautiful views of Miami and from Miami — a 'billboard' for Virgin Voyages, President and CEO McAlpin said.

Eyeful of the Lady Ships

He recently toured the five-acre site at the western edge of Dodge Island, making it the cruise berth nearest — and the only one parallel to — the mainland. So downtown Miami will have an eyeful of the Lady Ships, and vice versa.

Scarlet Lady will sail four- and five-night itineraries joined, during the winter season, by Valiant Lady on six- and eight-night cruises.

Nearly 200,000 square feet

Terminal V entails a new bulkhead and apron, a new 199,751-square-foot terminal complex and provision, staging, loading and intermodal areas with a substantial completion date of Oct. 15, 2021. Suffolk Construction Co. is the contractor.

McAlpin said the foundations and footings are in, with the vertical work starting, and the sheet piles are being driven for the seawall.

'We're excited,' he said. 'It's one of the most unique and beautiful parts of PortMiami' and the first terminal seen from MacArthur Causeway.

'It has great, beautiful views of Miami, and Miami will have great, beautiful views of Scarlet and Valiant when they're in port but when they're not, great views of our terminal, which is great advertisement for us — a big "billboard" that says Virgin Voyages.'

Palm grove concept

Virgin's Dee Cooper, SVP design and customer experience, led the process that selected Miami's Arquitectonica for the design. The firm came up with a palm grove concept, recalling the genesis of Miami Beach before tourism. 

'It's cool. It's fun. It's simple but the concept fits Miami really well,' McAlpin said. And when travelers flee the snow for their tropical getaway and glimpse that first palm tree, 'You know you're on vacation,' he added.

The design resembles a canopy and the columns that support the structure look like palm tree trunks. Palms will be planted all around.

The building is white 'with the right amount of red pop, some fun lettering and some fun livery,' according to McAlpin. 'We'll make sure people know it's a Virgin Voyages terminal.' Spectacular lighting after dark is another feature.

Tech efficiency

Though Virgin plans a beautiful terminal, it's also got to be efficient because what sailors (passengers) want to get on the ship.

Technology will simplify and speed the check-in process. At home, using smartphone apps, sailors can complete registration in 10 minutes, including providing a credit card and snapping a security photo.

Greeted by 'angels'

At the terminal, instead of queuing for check-in desks, sailors will be met by 'angels' with tablets. (And VIPs — including those booking RockStar Suites, will have a VIP entrance, of course.)

The angels' tablets will identify travelers via The Band, Virgin's wearable. Besides serving as identification, The Band opens cabin doors, is used for making purchases and for the personalized muster drill. The angels will ensure everything's in order, conduct a wellness screening and take a temperature check.

Then sailors pass through security. Facial recognition technology will be used at embarkation and disembarkation, in conjunction with US Customs and Border Protection.

Crew facilities

Terminal V will also house crew offices, a lounge with private breakout areas for meetings and private catchups and calls. According to Cooper, 'This will build on our amazing office space, bringing the Virgin Voyages crew the support and infrastructure they need to do their job whether ship or shore crew.'

AtmosAir

Scarlet Lady and Valiant Lady have the AtmosAir solution, a bipolar ionization process that kills germs and viruses. Talks are under way about potentially using the system in the terminal.

And Terminal V's design is targeting LEED Gold Certification for environmental efficiency.

McAlpin summed up: 'It's about a beautiful terminal. It's about a great process to get you on board. And it's a beautiful, iconic element to showcase our brand when the ship's not there. It's right there, front and center, reminding everyone that Virgin Voyages is in the cruise industry.'

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/terminal-v-virgin-pizzazz-and-prime-portmiami-address

• 4 weeks later...

Although construction has been ongoing for some time now on Terminal V, the new Virgin Voyages Cruise Terminal at PortMiami, marked the official groundbreaking ceremony.

During a ceremony attended to by CEO Tom McAlpin, Port Director & CEO Juan Kuryla, and Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava, all wearing red virgin hard hats and brandishing ‘Make Ship Happen’ shovels, the building of the terminal was officially started.

The new terminal has been designed to reflect its iconic surroundings. While during the day the palm trees are the main focus, during the evening, the company’s famous logo will mirror the city’s skyline.

While many cruise ships have general terminals where guests embarkation procedures and provisioning of the ships take place, the Miami based V Terminal has been built focusing on the four vessels the company has planned.

This will allow Virgin to seamlessly integrate embarkation procedures for the new normal, transportation requirements, and provisioning of the vessels, making the entire ship to shore experience a lot less painful.

The terminal is located at the northwest side of the port, just off the side of the main terminal row that caters to all the major cruise lines. Once completed, the Virgin facility will be 100,000 square feet and its Miami-inspired design is thanks to designers from Arquitectonica.

Both Scarlet Lady and Valiant Lady will be sailing from Terminal V. Scarlet Lady will be here permanently. Valiant Lady will be here seasonally once the terminal is opened, which will be in November 2021.

Virgin Voyages' Terminal V at PortMiami Breaks Ground (cruisehive.com)