How many of you cruise without purchasing insurance?

ErickW

We usually get insurance and have used InsureMyTrip for comparisons. Have used travel guard, allianze, etc. I’m curious though how you all are finding such incredibly low rates. We usually insure around a $2500-$3000 trip for the two of us which has never been less than $175 and often $200. We don’t need the medical or evac coverage but don’t see options to exclude that and still get whatever else we want included.

If I remember correctly, you must enter your state and I am wondering how much difference that makes. We live in a very high medical insurance rate state.

We usually get insurance and have used InsureMyTrip for comparisons. Have used travel guard, allianze, etc. I’m curious though how you all are finding such incredibly low rates. We usually insure around a $2500-$3000 trip for the two of us which has never been less than $175 and often $200. We don’t need the medical or evac coverage but don’t see options to exclude that and still get whatever else we want included.

If I remember correctly, you must enter your state and I am wondering how much difference that makes. We live in a very high medical insurance rate state.

I'm sure it does. It also goes by the amount you insure and ages.

2Wheelin I called Insuremytrip directly. The rep asked me a few questions, and then found policies that best suited our needs as well as the concerns I wanted addressed. I couldn't believe how cheap it was either, but I'm very happy with the outcome, and will not cruise without it from here on out.

I never have boyfriend and I are in our Mid 20’s no medical issues so don’t see the point.

Not trying to pile on here and really directed at all who are young and bulletproof...... just ask yourself a few questions.

While on a cruise:

Have you or your boyfriend ever been sea sick?

Do you ever eat food at one of the ports?

Do you snorkel with wild sea creatures?

In general:

Have you ever had a fall or bumped into someone?

Have you ever been exposed to violent or negligent acts of others?

Have you ever been involved in an accident?

Have you ever been sick?

Now aside from the medical risks:

Have you ever had an item lost or stolen?

Luggage gone missing?

A loved one become ill or die?

Miss public transport?

Had to change travel plans at the last minute?

Not saying that all these things would be covered by all insurance policies but just listing the types of things that might happen to even young and fit people.

To finish I'd just like to tell a story from a couple of years ago. My then 19yo niece was travelling through Europe when my older brother died suddenly of a massive cardiac arrest at age 46. All of a sudden, my niece went from having fun with her friends to being devastated and feeling totally alone and isolated. She felt she needed to be with her mum and 2 younger sisters and luckily was able to use her travel insurance to fly home.

Now my brother was relatively young and fit, had never been sick a day in his life and was one of those larger than life characters that everyone could count on. Nobody could comprehend his death.

I guess the messages that I'm trying to convey:

- Sometimes there are just no warning signs when it comes to one's health.

- Travel insurance can give you peace of mind' not just for those on your trip, but also for those you leave at home!

Slight variation on the situation that no one has mentioned... trip interruption.

I booked my last cruise in Sept, prime hurricane season. I knew the risks and accepted them. I bought travel insurance for the first time ever for that trip, but for medical reasons, as my DH had had some heath issues lately. Didn't really worry about cancellation insurance or anything else.

Fast forward to our cruise- Hurricanes Harvey & Irma were having marital spats, and their offspring, Jose was caught up in the maelstrom! We got our cruise, we had a great time, and yes, we missed Key West, the only reason I booked this itinerary. Not the end of the world, but disappointing all the same.

When I got home I was reading on CC about different policies that will cover trip interruption, in some cases, that means, missed ports! I called our insurance co, and sure enough, we were covered for missing Key West! The agent helped me fill out the paperwork, I deducted any refunds I got for port fees & taxes, excursions etc. When it was all said and done, I got $400 back for my pain & suffering of missing the one port I really wanted to see!

This paid for the trip insurance for that cruise, plus this next one, with all 5 of my family going!

This next cruise InsureMyTrip.com got me a price of about $70 pp for a 7 day cruise, which is great considering I opted for the higher medical coverage and the higher repatriation coverage, just in case something happens and we need to be flown home. Since I was paying with found money, I was very happy to spend the extra.

I could have copied several posts, but this caught my eye. We were scheduled to cruise on the 14 Miracle Saturday January 13. Everything is going on as scheduled. We had a Friday morning flight, staying at the Marriott in Long Beach. Our extended balcony was in excess of $5200 for the cruise and $2000 in airfare(first class). Friday morning my wife got a call, her 86 year old father passed away. They live in Bakersfield, since we had tickets to L.A., we rented a car and drove to Bakersfield. We could not get a funeral scheduled until Monday Jan. 22. Now we have a week in a hotel and a week car rental. Fortunately we did not use Carnivals woeful insurance. We had $7000 in Nationwide Cruise insurance. It takes a month to get a birth certificate, but Nationwide already told me i will be fully covered. In less than a week Carnival already refunded $1600 in cheers, 2 internet packages and port charges and taxes. As some others have said if you had an accident that required medical evac, it could literally break the bank to the tune of $50,000

On our very first cruise in 1995, we had to leave mid cruise due to an emergency. Our TA never advised us to get insurance prior, and we were travel novices. We were celebrating our 25th Anniversary, and never could afford a real vacation until then, after raising 5 children. Needless to say, we lost thousands of dollars. We have cruised many times over the years since then and will NEVER CRUISE OR VACATION WITHOUT INSURANCE AGAIN! Because **** happens no matter how young and healthy you are.

Well, you have all convinced me. I haven't had insurance the last 5 cruises, but I think I will pick from one of the choices InsureMyTrip provides. We purchased it for our first 3 or so cruises, but then quit because the travel coverage didn't work for us. And being young, didn't think of all these things that could happen such as broken bones and cuts.

Then that's all that matters. At about $50/$60 per trip for my insurance it would take an awful lot of trips to pay for one additional "free one". But only one incident to make it totally worth it and come out way ahead.

Not sure what kind of coverage you are getting for $50-$60 a trip. For our next vacation; basic coverage for 2 people is $400 and platinum coverage is $700-$800. (This is through insuremytrip.com for 2 first class tickets to Hawaii, 1 week in Hawaii, plus a 12 day cruise).

That is a significant cost when you feel like your chance of needing it is small. And this will be the second trip we are taking where the insurance prices were this range. So $800 to $1,600 in savings off two trips alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just as the title states. I'm contemplating not adding the insurance for our 5 day coming up in March. We went at the same time last year and although I did purchase it then, I'm just not sure I want to spend the extra couple hundred dollars on it. We are a family of five with kids ages 10,7, and 5. If that matters anyways. So please give me your input, and let me know what you have or haven't done in the past. Especially frequent cruisers.

I've never purchased trip insurance - but after my cruise last year I will be purchasing insurance. I cruised from San Juan - between hurricane Irma and Maria. The uncertainty of whether my flight would happen, whether the cruise would happen, and then flying out of San Juan just a few hours before Maria struck the island was more than I care to go through again. from now on I will be purchasing insurance when I cruise.

Not sure what kind of coverage you are getting for $50-$60 a trip. For our next vacation; basic coverage for 2 people is $400 and platinum coverage is $700-$800. (This is through insuremytrip.com for 2 first class tickets to Hawaii, 1 week in Hawaii, plus a 12 day cruise).

That is a significant cost when you feel like your chance of needing it is small. And this will be the second trip we are taking where the insurance prices were this range. So $800 to $1,600 in savings off two trips alone.

I just checked just to see what it would cost for us, although I have no intentions of buying it, I just wanted to see the cost.

For my family of 4 insuring a trip that we put a value at of around $7,000, it would cost $183.

I looked at another trip, for just my wife and I valued at $5,000, and it would cost $165

We used to never buy it. But as we have gotten older. (63 and 69) I have begun to do so. I am more worried about medical evacuation than losing the cost of the cruise.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Are you kidding me? That’s almost the cost of the cruise! I usually pay $95-$99pp.

I am getting Nationwide Choice Cruise. Check it out. If I was spending that much for a trip to Hawaii no way in the world would I risk losing that amount of cash should something happen and I was unable to go.

I am getting Nationwide Choice Cruise. Check it out. If I was spending that much for a trip to Hawaii no way in the world would I risk losing that amount of cash should something happen and I was unable to go.

That is still pricing out at around $400 for the trip. Not trying to be secretive. The trip price I’m using to get quotes is $9,000 for almost 3 weeks - $3,500 airfare + $4,000 cruise fare + $1,500 for half of the Airbnb. Cruisers ages are 33 and 46.

And the fact is that I’m really not that worried about it. I’m traveling w my BF. We are also traveling w another set of 2 people (different cabin). My BF and I decided long ago that If he gets sick or hurt I’ll go without him and if I get sick or hurt he’ll go without me. I do think the chance of us both getting sick or hurt is too minuscule to consider. As long as one goes the fixed costs of the cruise and land trip won’t go to waste. Just 1 airline ticket that we could probably just pay a $250 change fee (less than the cost of insurance!) to use on a different trip. In the event of one of our deaths we have enough life insurance that losing the cost of the trip don’t be an issue.

That is still pricing out at around $400 for the trip. Not trying to be secretive. The trip price I’m using to get quotes is $9,000 for almost 3 weeks - $3,500 airfare + $4,000 cruise fare + $1,500 for half of the Airbnb. Cruisers ages are 33 and 46.

And the fact is that I’m really not that worried about it. I’m traveling w my BF. We are also traveling w another set of 2 people (different cabin). My BF and I decided long ago that If he gets sick or hurt I’ll go without him and if I get sick or hurt he’ll go without me. I do think the chance of us both getting sick or hurt is too minuscule to consider. As long as one goes the fixed costs of the cruise and land trip won’t go to waste. Just 1 airline ticket that we could probably just pay a $250 change fee (less than the cost of insurance!) to use on a different trip. In the event of one of our deaths we have enough life insurance that losing the cost of the trip don’t be an issue.

$9k is a lot. I understand you are comfortable taking your chances but I wouldn’t be. That’s just the trip cancellation part and not taking into consideration medical should something happen on the ship.

If my SO was sick or injured there’s no way I would leave for that long of a vacation without them and vice versa no matter what we may agree upon now. I couldn’t enjoy myself knowing they are possibly fighting for their life like they were in a car accident or whatever it may be. Or they may need assistance at home. Things happen when we least expect them. My husband sees it everyday.

All I’m saying is I work too hard for my vacations and would not want to forfeit my funds and deal with a horrible event all at the same time. That’s OK that you do. $400 isn’t much more when spending $9000.00 in the grand scheme of things. Have a great vacation!

I don't know much about how insurance premiums are calculated but I assume that if your quote is higher it is due to either the risks associated with people in your group, the likelihood of claim from the regions/countries, or the cost of medical retrieval/care in those regions.

If I had a higher than usual quote, I'd seriously consider calling the insurer to find out why - especially if I was 'self-insuring' as these factors might influence my decision on whether the policy was worth it or not.

$9k is a lot. I understand you are comfortable taking your chances but I wouldn’t be. That’s just the trip cancellation part and not taking into consideration medical should something happen on the ship.

If my SO was sick or injured there’s no way I would leave for that long of a vacation without them and vice versa no matter what we may agree upon now. I couldn’t enjoy myself knowing they are possibly fighting for their life like they were in a car accident or whatever it may be. Or they may need assistance at home. Things happen when we least expect them. My husband sees it everyday.

All I’m saying is I work too hard for my vacations and would not want to forfeit my funds and deal with a horrible event all at the same time. That’s OK that you do. $400 isn’t much more when spending $9000.00 in the grand scheme of things. Have a great vacation!

Thank you. Yes, I realize our relationship is not typical. But yes, we would certainly go without the other. Again, all these things are factoring in why I’m satisfied with the cost to risk ratio of self insuring for me. I get that this won’t work for everybody.

I also wouldn’t cancel if one of my parents died the day before we left. I understand that that isn’t typical either. But that’s just how my family is.

I don't know much about how insurance premiums are calculated but I assume that if your quote is higher it is due to either the risks associated with people in your group, the likelihood of claim from the regions/countries, or the cost of medical retrieval/care in those regions.

If I had a higher than usual quote, I'd seriously consider calling the insurer to find out why - especially if I was 'self-insuring' as these factors might influence my decision on whether the policy was worth it or not.

We are going to Hawaii. Perfectly fine medical care, not remote and need of specialized evacuations, and my insurance covers us out of town.

I also wouldn’t cancel if one of my parents died the day before we left. I understand that that isn’t typical either. But that’s just how my family is.

I’m the same way. If they are dead, they will still be dead when I get back. But if they are dying, then I would want to be there. Some may think it’s cruel and heartless, but it’s the truth. I would expect the same if it were me.

I’m the same way. If they are dead, they will still be dead when I get back. But if they are dying, then I would want to be there. Some may think it’s cruel and heartless, but it’s the truth. I would expect the same if it were me.

No way I could do that. Basically dump everything on my sister. Funeral “where’s greg?” “He’s on vacation.” No way.

You’ve already purchased, but for those on the fence: The key questions are, “1. Do you have $50k in available credit/cash that you can easily pay in the event of an unplanned medical situation? 2. Would you be comfortable receiving care in the areas in which you are cruising?” If not, you need insurance!

Medical evacuations can range from $10k-$100k easily. Insurance is around $150 on average for our family of 4 for a 1 week cruise. I figure it’s worth it as 1 evacuation would make it worth the cost of insurance for a lifetime of cruises!

As a surgeon myself, there’s no way I’d want a member of my family treated in many areas...so I always buy insurance so we can get home for treatment as quickly as possible!

This last trip Jan 6 2018 is the first time we didn’t buy insurance( I cheaped out.) we had a blizzard 2 days before our flight and sweated out our flight being canceled. Our flight was the first flight on time since the airport was closed. So stressful. Not worth the worry. Buy the insurance you never know what can happen.