Flu shot - poll

luckyprincess

Are you getting the flu shot before your cruise?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting the flu shot before your cruise?

• I have already or will be getting the flu shot
    • I have not/will not be getting the flu shot
    • No opinion - I just really like polls!

Not universally true. My mother-in-law has a really hard time with flu shots. Every time she gets the shot, she ends up with chills and vomiting for approximately the next 12 hours. I don't know how deactivated virus can cause that, but it's like clockwork.

Hasn't anyone suggested that she ask her doctor if she should take a Tylenol and a Dramamine before getting the flu shot?

Our health centre contacts everyone in autumn, and runs special flu jab days... I think most seniors attend, but I've heard of cases this year with younger people, so perhaps not as many of them attend.

Both DH and I had our flu shots in October, we have them every year. We both got flu, picked it up on the plane home from the cruise. After 5 or 6 days in bed then a couple of weeks trying to shift the cough we’re just about coming to the end of it. It’s been over 25 years since I’ve had flu and I’d forgotten how debilitating it is. Hey the cruise lbs disappeared in those 5 days. Our shot this year had 4 strains in it but we obviously got one that wasn’t in it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you’ve ever had a full blown case of the flu. Coughing, high temp, can’t even lift your head off the pillow — you will get the flu shot because you never want to experience that again.

So true,

YEARS ago I had Asian flu and felt so rotten I remember to this day and never want to get flu again. I get flu shot late September or early October every year. If it helps me get a lighter case, it will be worth it but, of course, I hope it helps me not get flu at all.

I get the flu vaccine every year. I got the flu once, when I was 18. Actually, my whole family came down with it. I have never been that sick since. There are days I really don't remember. My father's fever was so high he was hallucinating. My aunt made sure we had food in the house during the worst of it.

Not universally true. My mother-in-law has a really hard time with flu shots. Every time she gets the shot, she ends up with chills and vomiting for approximately the next 12 hours. I don't know how deactivated virus can cause that, but it's like clockwork.

Does she have an allergy to eggs?

It can also be a reaction to the preservatives used in the vaccine.

Not the actually vaccine.