Johnny Rockets now $9.95 cover charge.

Nope, the original charge was $0.00.

95south is correct. There WAS a charge for JR back then. Was later removed, and was talked about on Cruise Critic back in 2000. Was on cruise #008 on Voyager in Jan2000 they gave number that the cruise ships had sailed back then. I have saved all paperwork, tickets, charges from all my 30+ yrs of Royal cruises. Also been on Cruise Critic(AOL's CruiseCritic) for now over 20 years...

Edited by ONECRUISER

If Royals intention was to cut down in the crowds I think it worked. On the Oasis last month it was dead every time I walked by except for the free breakfast. The breakfast was the best on the ship though and rarely crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity - back in the "good old days", what was the base fare for the cruise? Has it risen alongside inflation? If it's anything like air travel, it's actually cheaper now compared to the past when inflation is factored in. As a result, we're seeing additional fees on top of the base fare that we didn't see before, because the public demanded low fares in a day when the business couldn't operate at that price point. I'm wondering if cruising is the same way?

You make an excellent point. I feel that fares currently are pretty reasonable in relation to what they were 10, 20, or more years ago. Royal cuts corners in order to keep the fares down (such as fewer selections in the MDR) and that is fine with me. Personally, I didn't mind paying $9.95 pp plus 18% tip at Johnny Rockets last month on the Navigator. Johnny Rockets ended up being my favorite place on the ship! There were usually only a few other people eating there and we had great views of the ocean from our booth.

The food was unlimited and you could stay as long as you wanted- there was no pressure from the staff to turn the tables. The milkshakes are about $5.95 each, however, if you are platinum or above, you get a coupon loaded on your sea pass for a BOGO offer. The soda pop was included in the $9.95 charge and, again, you could sit there drinking pop until you were ready to float away- they keep refilling your glass. For dessert, you can have apple pie or a sundae- or both.

One couple did complain about the additional cost of dining when told the charge was $11.74 pp (including tip). They had not known about the additional fee to dine there. They left without ordering saying that they would use their BOGO offer for milkshakes later. Oh, well. They missed a nice, relaxing meal in my opinion, but hey, they saved a few bucks. BTW, all of the other speciality restaurants cost even more than Johnny Rockets.

Just out of curiosity - back in the "good old days", what was the base fare for the cruise? Has it risen alongside inflation? If it's anything like air travel, it's actually cheaper now compared to the past when inflation is factored in. As a result, we're seeing additional fees on top of the base fare that we didn't see before, because the public demanded low fares in a day when the business couldn't operate at that price point. I'm wondering if cruising is the same way?

Agree, well said. Even without Inflation, cheaper to cruise now. In 1988 a 7nite on Sovereign of the Seas was $3600+ for tiny deck 2 tiny port hole cabin, our Honeymoon. When I wanted to take my 3 kids a on week cruise in Summer 2000, was $799ea for passenger 1-2, $1099ea for passenger 3/4. We did Orlando that year instead. 20 years ago I would take my 3 kids for week in Orlando. Price of Disney in 2018 it's cheaper to take my 3 Grand Daughters on a 7nite cruise...

You can say whatever you want about how expensive cruises used to be but my opinion remains. At $11.74, Johnny Rockets is a bad value when I’ve already paid for food, just as the $4.13 canned Coke was.

When I told DH about new price, he said- well, next time I want Johnny Rockets, I’ll just go to Mall of America- it’s cheaper, and the service is way quicker...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First time I had Johnny Rocket's was week that Mall of America opened in 1992, was a 9 hr drive to get there. Second time was when Voyager first sailed, was 18 hr drive...

You can say whatever you want about how expensive cruises used to be but my opinion remains. At $11.74, Johnny Rockets is a bad value when I’ve already paid for food, just as the $4.13 canned Coke was.

Allot of people agree, but until people stop paying the fees, the process will continue to rise right along with all the other specialty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app