FLU - Harmony 1/13-20/18

My Mom, husband, and I got the flu directly after the cruise. I know it wasn’t the flight because my DH took a different flight than my parents. My mom and I also got the flu shot. Hopefully you can avoid it. Good luck!

Sorry to hear you are all ill; I wouldn't want that for anyone. BUT, you absolutely could have contracted it on the plane, separate planes at that. Flu is everywhere, and it doesn't discriminate. ;)

Apparently just breathing any where can subject you to the flu virus...let alone touching something. I also got my annual flu shot but it didn't seem to matter...I got the flu just after Xmas and was sick for almost a month now have a cold/cough I can't seem to shake :loudcry:

Apparently just breathing any where can subject you to the flu virus...let alone touching something. I also got my annual flu shot but it didn't seem to matter...I got the flu just after Xmas and was sick for almost a month now have a cold/cough I can't seem to shake :loudcry:

Sorry to hear! :( Yes I saw today that standing within 3 feet of someone who has the flu can be dangerous. *sigh* It's awful out there. I tend to stay close to home these days.

The flu vaccine is a great preventative, but it only vaccinates against the most likely strain. And if you do get influenza (not the common cold, which people like to say is the flu) it's less severe if you've had the vaccine. I got my flu shot this year (as I do every year) and I did get influenza type A, but I was still up and about and able to do things (which would NOT have been the case without the shot). I also get the shot for herd immunity, since there are some people who can't get the flu shot because they're allergic to one of the components (usually eggs).

Big thank you to all of you that got the flu shot. It not only helps you, but as another poster stated, it helps those in the herd with a weak immune system to sometimes beat the odds. There have been so many deaths from the flu across all the states that it's scary stuff.

I’ve heard from a doctor and a nurse that it usually takes about 24 to 48 hours. Could be ship, airport, or airplane. Could also be someone coughed on us. I’ve heard so much about the flu this week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I read that a lot of what people think is the flu is actually a cold or allergies. The big difference is body aches and fever. Fever over 101 is most probably flu and one should contact the doctor immediately.

If low grade or no fever it is probably something else. So I will not jump to conclusions. My hubby just getting over a bout with cedar allergy upper respiratory, but did not get a fever and felt O.K. Sure enough, it was just allergies.

I plan on wiping everything down in our cabin tomorrow on Vision with my trusty clorox wipes.

By the way, I got my shot and it was the "High Dose" version which has 4 different strains.

Another factor this year is that this particular strain of flu H3N2 is a nasty one! Wash those hands often and keep them away from your face. I'll be trying to remember these rules on my upcoming Jewel cruise and will be wiping down my cabin as well. I am a nurse and have done well this year so far (knocks on wood) but the ship will be a different environment for me and my body, so all the precautions I can think of will be utilized! LOL

That happened to me also. I think I was exposed at breakfast on the last day. I got home started my first day of training for a new job and came down with a 103 fever. I had remembered the woman sitting next to me st breakfast saying her husband skipped breakfast because he wasn't feeling well. We are going on AOS in May and even thought I've had my flu shot, I'm concerned. I am on my last of 12 chemo treatments. I haven't had any immunity issues so far. I hope it stays that way. I do intend to bring and wear face masks, especially when we fly. The flu is so bad in our area, we have had lots of healthy children die from it! So sad! Wash your hands people!!! I always make sure we get the flu shot a few weeks before any cruise. It takes a minimum of 2 weeks to become effective.

Unfortunately, this year's flu vaccine was NOT a good match for the circulating virus, AND, there is one strain that is circulating that is a particularly nasty one, so it's been a bad season overall. I work in a hospital, & we HAVE to get the vaccine as a condition of employment, & we've still had a lot of employees getting sick.