Elite Platinum Lounge

jamesnnb

Our last cruise was 28 days. We went to the P/E/S lounge maybe 6 or 7 times. Having early TD makes it odd as we don't really eat tons of food on a cruise. We both had the Sip and Sail package so it was not problem to get a Chairman of the Board or anything else at the venue. The most amazing thing we found on the menu was the night they had "Authentic Mexican Salsa" and chips. The "Authentic Mexican Salsa" was pretty much chopped tomatoes with a tiny bit of other stuff. Not even vaguely "authentic" and the chips were some sort of baked thing that tasted more like wheat and were totally bizarre. The salsa was pathetic and the chips were a total mind boggling thing - especially as when they served Guacamole a couple of times they had actual tortilla chips. A couple who shared our dining table in MDR went every time they offered the Steak Tartare and said it was really great but that particular dish has never interested us. I tend to go on Stilton night. The cheese is great and the Port Wine Reduction they have goes really well with it.

We've pretty much had it with Princess changing our "confirmed" 6:00 PM dining to 5:30 once we are onboard so are switching to ATD which will make Afternoon Tea and the P/E/S lounge more "doable" for us. I love the freedom offered by the beverage package as it allows us to have whatever drink we like in that venue without paying a premium compared to their "drink of the day" offering there.

• Like 1

If you go to the Captains Circle Party you can ask for a Chairman of the Board when they offer you the rum punch or cheap ship champagne. It might take 5 minutes, but they will bring it. Worth the wait.

This seems to be one of those little-known secrets. I believe you can order just about any drink at the Captains Circle Party. The last time I went to one, a few years ago, I had a couple of SeaWitch beers. So much better than the punch or champagne they carry around on the trays. Just politely ask the server, and a few minutes later, you'll have your drink of choice.

• Like 1

I love Princess but I wish that they would follow RCCL in this category. I am a Diamond member which is equivalent to Platinum, which I am on Princess. They offer such a lovely Diamond Lounge onboard their ships. You can visit all day for self-serve yummy coffees, morning continental breakfast, and from 5-8:30 there is a happy hour with servers offering from a list of several liquors, champagne, bottled water, sodas, wine and beer. Also, appetizers change nightly. Besides all of this they load your cruise card with 3 drink coupons that can be used at almost any bar throughout the ship from 5-8:30. It's a great place to meet people and there is a wonderful concierge to help you book restaurants, shore excursions, etc. Technically, if you could drink this much, you could enjoy a few drinks in the lounge (they don't limit you) and then enjoy your drinks in a few of the bars. I always grab a cocktail before going into dinner as well. It makes it difficult for me to make a choice of who to sail with all else equal on certain cruises.

• Like 1

I love Princess but I wish that they would follow RCCL in this category. I am a Diamond member which is equivalent to Platinum, which I am on Princess. They offer such a lovely Diamond Lounge onboard their ships. You can visit all day for self-serve yummy coffees, morning continental breakfast, and from 5-8:30 there is a happy hour with servers offering from a list of several liquors, champagne, bottled water, sodas, wine and beer. Also, appetizers change nightly. Besides all of this they load your cruise card with 3 drink coupons that can be used at almost any bar throughout the ship from 5-8:30. It's a great place to meet people and there is a wonderful concierge to help you book restaurants, shore excursions, etc. Technically, if you could drink this much, you could enjoy a few drinks in the lounge (they don't limit you) and then enjoy your drinks in a few of the bars. I always grab a cocktail before going into dinner as well. It makes it difficult for me to make a choice of who to sail with all else equal on certain cruises.

Very valid points when comparing Princess’s Elite Category to RCL’s Diamond. For instance the number of cruises required and Princess Platinum category does not include include any free drinks or free minibar. Princess does not really have a category equivalent to Diamond Plus. I suspect they might someday.

• Like 1

I had only been to the lounge once & have to agree it is a sad little affair in comparison to the Diamond & Concierge lounges on RCCL. The night I went I think they had a cheese wheel & some crackers. None of the pre-mixed drinks looked appealing enough to pay for. It was disappointing & I don't think I would go back. I am also Elite on Celebrity. Last year I did a TA with my sister. It was her first cruise & I really appreciated that she was allowed to participate in the majority of Elite events including the special breakfast & lovely tea. She did not get the nightly 3 drink coupons but I had no objections from the bar tender when I shared mine with her. I am not a big drinker so 1 pre-dinner drink is enough for me. I thought this was very generous & made the trip much more enjoyable for both of us. It also made a customer of my sister & her husband.

I've thought that, too as I'm Diamond on Royal and Elite with Princess. I would always get a glass of wine before dinner, and maybe one afterwards. Princess is behind Royal on that, I think.

But IMO Princess offers way more in OBC for their cruises and of course they are all combinable. We are diamond+ with Royal and Elite+ with Celebrity. Now they are limiting you by putting 3 drinks on your sea pass card to be used during the cocktail times. Love going on Princess with over $2000. in obc for a 25 day cruise. Buys a lot of drinks.

• Like 1

Getaway, you have a point, no doubt! I'm leaving on a 30 day Emerald Princess cruise soon, and didn't have to pay for my shore excursions, tips are paid, and I have quite a bit left over for many bottles of wine at dinner! :) In this case, I'm much better off with Princess, something to consider because I'm sailing single!

• Like 1

Our last cruise was 28 days. We went to the P/E/S lounge maybe 6 or 7 times. Having early TD makes it odd as we don't really eat tons of food on a cruise. We both had the Sip and Sail package so it was not problem to get a Chairman of the Board or anything else at the venue. The most amazing thing we found on the menu was the night they had "Authentic Mexican Salsa" and chips. The "Authentic Mexican Salsa" was pretty much chopped tomatoes with a tiny bit of other stuff. Not even vaguely "authentic" and the chips were some sort of baked thing that tasted more like wheat and were totally bizarre. The salsa was pathetic and the chips were a total mind boggling thing - especially as when they served Guacamole a couple of times they had actual tortilla chips. A couple who shared our dining table in MDR went every time they offered the Steak Tartare and said it was really great but that particular dish has never interested us. I tend to go on Stilton night. The cheese is great and the Port Wine Reduction they have goes really well with it.

We've pretty much had it with Princess changing our "confirmed" 6:00 PM dining to 5:30 once we are onboard so are switching to ATD which will make Afternoon Tea and the P/E/S lounge more "doable" for us. I love the freedom offered by the beverage package as it allows us to have whatever drink we like in that venue without paying a premium compared to their "drink of the day" offering there.

We are going on the Sapphire Princess March what is the sip and sale package as not heard of that one please?
  • Like 1

We heard that the evening menu at the Elite Platinum Lounge has changed or will change in 2018. Has anyone seen this happen yet? We'll be on the Ruby Princess in Alaska in April.

We just got off the Regal and loved Club6. The times that we went they had, smoked salmon , Stilton , sushi, tacos, goat cheese, with all the accoutrements that would compliment.

I liked the Blue Sky martini and had it on the rocks, DH Liked the Boulevardere,

• Like 1

when ever we have gone in the past... never ordered from the menu... simply order what we like... enjoy the muchies with it. Very simple...we are not into mixed drinks anyway... a few dollars savings is not worth it...

• Like 1