5 Night Avalon Frankfurt to Basel - time enough to sample our first river cruise?

masonpips

Hi, My mom and I are considering a River Cruise in December. We are both 20+ ocean cruisers (7 to 15 nights, she's done transatlantic, I've done NE, Alaska, Europe and Caribbean).

We've read a lot of reviews on river cruising and are kind of considering the 5 night Avalon.

My thought process (please chime in on your agree/disagree/things to consider thoughts):

• Perfect amount of time to see if we enjoy river cruising
  • Allows us to have days before/after on our own and stay within a 10-ish day total trip
  • 3 countries visited (Germany, France, Switzerland) so a nice sampler
  • Not feeling we didn't get enough land time since it's only 5 nights (one of the things I've read re: river cruising)
  • Cost per day is comparable to a longer cruise, can use the $ not used on cruise extra days on land hotels, excursions (on our own)
  • We are very comfortable doing our own thing before/after, including getting to/from the ship
  • Only real con: changing rooms a couple times (nights before, cruise nights, night after)

I guess I'm looking for validation that a 5 night isn't TOO short given what we're looking for? Any thoughts? Thank you!

It’s a great idea. Especially coming from ocean cruises some folks just don’t care for river cruises. On most ocean cruises you have a couple of sea days so if you take sea days out of equation you are probably seeing more in five days on a river cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, My mom and I are considering a River Cruise in December. We are both 20+ ocean cruisers (7 to 15 nights, she's done transatlantic, I've done NE, Alaska, Europe and Caribbean).

We've read a lot of reviews on river cruising and are kind of considering the 5 night Avalon.

My thought process (please chime in on your agree/disagree/things to consider thoughts):

• Perfect amount of time to see if we enjoy river cruising
  • Allows us to have days before/after on our own and stay within a 10-ish day total trip
  • 3 countries visited (Germany, France, Switzerland) so a nice sampler
  • Not feeling we didn't get enough land time since it's only 5 nights (one of the things I've read re: river cruising)
  • Cost per day is comparable to a longer cruise, can use the $ not used on cruise extra days on land hotels, excursions (on our own)
  • We are very comfortable doing our own thing before/after, including getting to/from the ship
  • Only real con: changing rooms a couple times (nights before, cruise nights, night after)

I guess I'm looking for validation that a 5 night isn't TOO short given what we're looking for? Any thoughts? Thank you!

We have done a 5 night, also on Avalon. We did 3 nights before, and 3 nights after on either end. I don't think it's too short to get a taste. We have done three (soon to be four) seven night cruises on Uniworld, and have added on pre-cruise nights, but not post-cruise.

I think your plan is a great option. FYI, though, you will get a lot of land time on a river cruise:-)

Enjoy!

Robin

masonpips,

I have had a look at the cruise and like it as a taster. Agree with your points. To make the trip from the states worthwhile I would certainly go for adding days on DIY. As you are happy to do that, perfect! Avalon has been mentioned as having specific meeting places that you need to stick to, but past cruisers can help with info on that. The date looks good as well: https://www.avalonwaterways.com/river-cruise/christmastime-in-alsace-germany-southbound/wfz/

You will obviously not see many Christmas markets on such a short trip so if you are really into that add a couple of other towns. Flying into Frankfurt you could make it your base for a night or two and take a train to Cologne for example.

You will be transferred from Frankfurt to your ship docked in Wiesbaden, I read. Wiesbaden is actually the capital of the state Hesse, not Frankfurt, and is in my humble opinion a delightful - slightly sophisticated and rich - town. Frankfurt is a city of commerce and a bit more "cosmopolitan". The Frankfurt market is around the restored "Römer" and well worth seeing. Wiesbaden: http://www.wiesbaden.de/en/tourism/events/reasons/12r-christmas.php

For exploring Switzerland at the end of your cruise many past cruisers could give you excellent ideas.

I would sail this itinerary.

notamermaid