What? Carnival got rid of this too?

scubamommy!

I just booked an Ecstacy Cruise on Carnival after not having cruised with Carnival for to many years to count. I booked due to a large group and tight budgets with some of the girls. This is the closest port to us in NC, so no flights needed. I was trying to read up on Ecstacy threads. One said that the dining room didn't have tablecloths or bread baskets any more. Is this true? I asked on that thread, but it was an old thread, no one has answered yet. I REALLY hope this isn't true? 1- I am a bread lover and 2- I love the nice long dinners with the formality of it. No tablecloths just seems odd to me. Hopefully that post is wrong.

I just booked an Ecstacy Cruise on Carnival after not having cruised with Carnival for to many years to count. I booked due to a large group and tight budgets with some of the girls. This is the closest port to us in NC, so no flights needed. I was trying to read up on Ecstacy threads. One said that the dining room didn't have tablecloths or bread baskets any more. Is this true? I asked on that thread, but it was an old thread, no one has answered yet. I REALLY hope this isn't true? 1- I am a bread lover and 2- I love the nice long dinners with the formality of it. No tablecloths just seems odd to me. Hopefully that post is wrong.

They still have bread baskets though I'm not sure they are baskets per se. The table clothes are only available 1-2 nights on 6-8 night sailings (formal nights). I like the formality too but most don't seem to mind. You'll probably notice there has been quite a few cutbacks since you last sailed. For instance, night time room service is no longer included and no more chocolates on the pillows. Also, they only clean cabins once per day unless you ask for twice. The cheerleaders will say I'm being picky but it's undeniable the product is different. All that being said, it will still be a good time for you and your family.

They have gotten rid of the table cloths in the MDR - they just put them on for elegant nights now. I have tried to find a picture of the new table setting but have been unable to locate one. There were tons out when they first started changing over so if you look through some old threads or through FB groups, you may find some there. All of the ships may not have finished the change over yet, hopefully someone who has sailed on the Ecstasy recently can let you know if she has yet.

While the bread basket on your table may be gone (I truly don't remember from our last cruise) I do recall that people still came by with bread and let you pick out the pieces that you wanted.

The dinners are still long - average 1.5 hrs. And yes, there is no table cloth on casual nights. But it is a lovely table surface, consistent with many modern bistros who have gotten away from the cloth covering. The table now sports a wine bottle with a blackboard like plaque with the table number hanging from it, and a coaster with a giant carafe of ice water. I prefer this set up because I can refill my glass (if they haven't on passing). They will bring a basket of bread warm from the oven when you sit, so you can chow down.

On your elegant nights, the table will be set with a cloth, and a large silver sea creature such as a conch shell or star fish, and the wine bottle.

its still a nice dining experience - now if the cruisers would leave their tank tops and sweaty baseball caps at the pool - it would be even better.

They have gotten rid of the table cloths in the MDR - they just put them on for elegant nights now. I have tried to find a picture of the new table setting but have been unable to locate one. There were tons out when they first started changing over so if you look through some old threads or through FB groups, you may find some there. All of the ships may not have finished the change over yet, hopefully someone who has sailed on the Ecstasy recently can let you know if she has yet.

While the bread basket on your table may be gone (I truly don't remember from our last cruise) I do recall that people still came by with bread and let you pick out the pieces that you wanted.

I’m really not happy about no table cloths in MDR. I haven’t sailed Carnival since 2007, but just booked the Breeze for 2019. It just seems kind of tacky to me. As for the breadbasket, on my last two RCCL ships, there was no breadbasket. They just came around offering a roll or bread. My hubby was always signaling them over, so on the last night on one sailing, he brought my hubby a basket! Lol! On my two NCL cruises, there is always a tablecloth and breadbasket, and they are supposed to be the more casual cruise line!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On my two NCL cruises, there is always a tablecloth and breadbasket, and they are supposed to be the more casual cruise line!

Carnival may not be for you after all, this issue sounds very important to your cruising experience so you may want to reconsider since it is so far away. You would not want to start off the cruise with a bad taste in your mouth, but at least you know ahead of time and can make the choice now.

I'm pretty sure when we were on the Triumph in 2016 that the bread was left on the table. There were several varieties each night. I initially didn't miss the table cloths and I like the way the tables LOOK, but with out coasters or table cloths, the table can get kind of messy.

I just look at it as a change in style. Table clothes are ‘old fashioned’ to me and no table cloth is more modern. I wouldn’t pre-judge the experience simply by an addition or lack of a table cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

I would prefer they did away with the breadbasket on the table and have them come around and offer me bread from a basket. I have heard too many stories where places "re-use" the bread when they put it on a table and several remain after people leave. We usually each have one piece of bread and leave many in our basket to waste. So by them having a server walk a basket from table to table, it would eliminate a lot of waste (if they do throw it out) or a really germy situation (if they do re-use it).

• Thanks 1

American table has table cloths on formal nights only now. You should still get bread basket.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Forums mobile app

After seeing it on several comments here, I cannot help but say that there is no such thing as "formal" night anymore.It is called "elegant" night. Some will say it is just another "cutback"! God I am so tired of hearing that word used. If you do not like the changes, find another cruise line that will give you the trivial things that you want and are willing to pay for. Let's see! Do I want to pay a higher cruise fare to have all the tablecloths washed 7 times in a week, or no cost increase to only wash them twice in a week? Do I want to pay a higher cruise fare for cheap chocolates on my pillow that I don't eat or not? Do I want to pay a higher cruise fare for 24 hour room service which I have not used in 30+ cruises or do I want those that want to use it to pay for it? Does a short visit with my Cabin Steward to fill out my cabin service card that allows me to pick exactly the same service levels that I have had in my 30+ cruises amount to a cutback? I do not think so. All you have to do is open your mouth and ask for exactly what service you want; and you will get it.

On my two NCL cruises, there is always a tablecloth and breadbasket, and they are supposed to be the more casual cruise line!

Carnival may not be for you after all, this issue sounds very important to your cruising experience so you may want to reconsider since it is so far away. You would not want to start off the cruise with a bad taste in your mouth, but at least you know ahead of time and can make the choice now.

Pretty hostile response to a wry observation. Why waste time chastising those not in the cheerleading squad when there are other threads with much more pleasing content?

I would prefer they did away with the breadbasket on the table and have them come around and offer me bread from a basket. I have heard too many stories where places "re-use" the bread when they put it on a table and several remain after people leave. We usually each have one piece of bread and leave many in our basket to waste. So by them having a server walk a basket from table to table, it would eliminate a lot of waste (if they do throw it out) or a really germy situation (if they do re-use it).

All the leftover bread is used to make that famous Bitter and Blanc that so many people claim is the best dessert ever and whined until it was brought back. I guess management got tired of all the leftover bread and solved both problems. Be careful what you ask for.

After seeing it on several comments here, I cannot help but say that there is no such thing as "formal" night anymore.It is called "elegant" night. Some will say it is just another "cutback"! God I am so tired of hearing that word used. If you do not like the changes, find another cruise line that will give you the trivial things that you want and are willing to pay for. Let's see! Do I want to pay a higher cruise fare to have all the tablecloths washed 7 times in a week, or no cost increase to only wash them twice in a week? Do I want to pay a higher cruise fare for cheap chocolates on my pillow that I don't eat or not? Do I want to pay a higher cruise fare for 24 hour room service which I have not used in 30+ cruises or do I want those that want to use it to pay for it? Does a short visit with my Cabin Steward to fill out my cabin service card that allows me to pick exactly the same service levels that I have had in my 30+ cruises amount to a cutback? I do not think so. All you have to do is open your mouth and ask for exactly what service you want; and you will get it.

(y)

I just look at it as a change in style. Table clothes are ‘old fashioned’ to me and no table cloth is more modern. I wouldn’t pre-judge the experience simply by an addition or lack of a table cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with this 100%

We don't even own a tablecloth at home, my wifes grandmother puts one out at Christmas but that's it. I cannot even name a restaurant that has them either.

Welcome back to Carnival after your extended time of not cruising Carnival. There have been a lot of changes the past couple years. You'll likely experience no tablecloths in the main dining room except on cruise elegant nights. This Carnival cutback is called American Table. In the dining room, you'll likely experience a server bringing a bread basket by your table and asking if you'd like something from it, where he will use his tongs and place the piece of bread you select on your bread plate, although some servers may place the basket on your table for you to pick from. Of course you can request the basket be placed on the table if that is your preference.

there is still a bread basket, (actually a box now) but still bread, at least it was my last cruise in 2016, in "your time dining", but the bread was still very very good, and I loved the cranberry buns, but there are plain ones too.

When they went to no tablecloths (except for elegant nights), I was not really happy about it, but thought that I would see how it was, and turned out that I did not miss the table cloth at all. Still like one, but dont really feel that it impacts the overall enjoyment of the meal.

There are many more changes since your last cruise no doubt, many have been mentioned by other posters. Things are changing with other cruise lines too, but they seem to change on Carnival in "warp speed", but still overall a good cruise.

Go on this one, and see for yourself if it is still ok, and if it is not, then you know that you will have to vote with your wallet and choose next cruise or next vacation differently.

I do wish you a pleasant cruise.

How absurd to think I’d cancel a cruise based on a tablecloth! That’s almost laughable! Yes, I’d prefer a table cloth, but I’d never cancel a cruise based on this, as tacky as I think it is to not put tablecloths on the table. I was merely making my observations and opinions know.

With me personally....when I am months out from my cruise...bored at work and daydreaming about cruising....I think I might worry about these little things aka missing tablecloths etc.....but I find when I am actually on the cruise...drinking...having fun etc...I NEVER worry about this stuff...I actually always giggle about the endless debates on MDR clothing or smoking etc and find them the furthest thing from my mind when I am actually on the cruise...I only have time to focus on these types of details when bored at work dreaming of my future cruise...so while at the moment I find it tacky to not have the table cloth I recognize that I'll unlikely even remember once on board...