Customer Disservice?

muggo11

The author of the article seems to blame NCL, but NCL is just following procedures and was doing their job. I make sure my passport is in my left pocket and that I have my passport card in my wallet as well as backup.

This article is a "human interest" piece and as such is meant to elicit emotions.

I for one do chide NCL, the person that was to help them, should have done just that.

I once forgot to use all of a credit cards reward points by the expiration, my error and my fault.

The credit card issuer reinstated them for 5 days so that I may use them. It was called a courtesy extension.

The operative word, courtesy.

NCL, while not obliged to, displayed none.

The Globe should not have reported this to imply that they should have been allowed to board with just their driver's licenses, which is 100% not true. Now many people will think that is the case.

They could used an enhanced drivers licence AND an official birth certificate. Not the certificate issued by the hospital with the footprints on it.

depending on the terminal, they have security at the entrance to make sure everyone has a boarding pass. after that, you go thru the security screening process and then the checkin desk.

i dont think security will allow a guest to be with someone without a valid boarding pass.

I know at the NYC terminal, they have someone checking the boarding pass and then they direct you to the security screening line.

They check in Boston too.

So sad that this had to happen to an elderly couple. NCL doesn't owe them anything, but I wonder if the porters really looked for the luggage.

This issue has further increased my cynicism towards NCL . They will do their best to abuse the customer until they get some bad PR and then they go overboard the other way .

On my one Norwegian cruise they changed the carry-on restrictions of water 5 weeks prior to sailing . And it was done for "my safety and convenience".:o

LOL ... you made me spew coffee all over my laptop! :')

The best part is those who won't "get it" .

What a scam, their money back and a free HAVEN cruise. So now anyone who has cruised before (the article stated that this couple had previously sailed out of Boston and NYC) can simply show up without proper paperwork, get a full refund, and a free cruise worth 5x what they paid for. I'm glad I know how it works now.

There are thinks to get worked up about in life. This isn't one of them.

Reading the article in the Boston Globe, not only were their passports in their checked luggage, so was their medicine??? Someone messed up alright, but it wasn't NCL. It was the couple themselves, or their family for not staying with them to make sure they had their documents and their baggage checked in. Their family should have made certain they had a carry on with their documents, medicine, and any emergency phone numbers they may need. Someone dropped the ball, and I say it was their family. If they can't board by themselves, they shouldn't be alone for a week on a cruise ship.

Obviously this was the couple's fault, and I am very far from a bleeding heart liberal, but wow, it sure seems like NCL did not go out of their way to help. I think other lines might have been a lot nicer about this. Heartless. I am glad that NCL turned it around, but they had no choice really. Would have cost them a lot less if they had just cared to begin with.

My heart goes out to the couple, but I'm pretty sure the author of this article got one very important part wrong. It states that under NCL's procedures the couple should have been allowed to board with a drivers license, which they both had on them. Is that actually true? I have always thought (and see on their website) that in addition to a government issued photo ID, you had to have proof of citizenship (most people use a birth certificate).

That'a a pretty crucial piece of the article to get wrong, and makes NCL come of a lot worse than they actually should here. Don't get me wrong, what happened is heartbreaking, but mistakes were made all the way around, including the person who wrote the article.

Edited to add: Oops! I guess I should have read all the responses! This was already pointed out several times above. :p

It appears that a government issued photo ID, and proof of citizenship (most people use a birth certificate) would be sufficient.......especially on a closed loop cruise leaving from and returning to a U.S. Port......Its a shame that a customer service rep from NCL didnt look up their booking....as when you check in online at home you have to add the pertinent citizenship info.....

I am not sure an enhanced license would work. I think most states do have them now, but even if they were available do you think most people, their age would have actually had one?

According to Dept of Homeland security in NY State......The Real Id Enforcement has been extended from Jan 22, 2018 to Oct 10,2018 to become compliant.....so until then in NY a regular state issued drivers license along with other documentation will suffice. Those poor people....if only someone would have thought to ask.....

It appears that a government issued photo ID, and proof of citizenship (most people use a birth certificate) would be sufficient.......especially on a closed loop cruise leaving from and returning to a U.S. Port......Its a shame that a customer service rep from NCL didnt look up their booking....as when you check in online at home you have to add the pertinent citizenship info.....

They needed an original certificate or passports, what would looking up their booking do?

Unless you have "missed" a cruise, I don't think you have any idea how much of a blow it really is. I missed a 14 day cruise because I was in the emergency room in Baltimore for over 12 hours on embarkation day. Yes....I had travel insurance, but it didn't take the sting away from missing that cruise. And I wasn't 90 years old either.

I do not begrudge the couple or NCL. I am not a bleeding heart liberal, but I'm also not upset at how NCL handled the situation in the end. So what if they gave them a refund and a paid cruise. In the big scheme of life, it means nothing to anyone else other than the elderly couple.

I know how upset my 90 year old Mother gets over the smallest of things, so I'm sure these two were absolutely miserable and torn with anxiety. Was it their fault....yes it was and the elderly gentleman admitted it. But it was still a situation that was wrought with emotions. I have not lost my ability to feel sympathy or empathy for my fellow travelers and I pity those who seem to only find fault and disgust at those individuals that find themselves in a bad situation, even if it was preventable. There is not one among us that is perfect. We all make mistakes. And I hope the couple are able to go and enjoy a cruise before they find themselves making funeral arrangements for one or the other.

Go ahead and flame away....

Reading the article in the Boston Globe, not only were their passports in their checked luggage, so was their medicine??? Someone messed up alright, but it wasn't NCL. It was the couple themselves, or their family for not staying with them to make sure they had their documents and their baggage checked in. Their family should have made certain they had a carry on with their documents, medicine, and any emergency phone numbers they may need. Someone dropped the ball, and I say it was their family. If they can't board by themselves, they shouldn't be alone for a week on a cruise ship.

I , too, picked up on the medicine part ! And yes..I agree the family surely should have helped the couple prepare/pack accordingly. The couple and/or family should have been the responsible parties for being prepared for the cruise.

Re: NCL...my opinion..could they have handled the immediate matter (in the terminal) better..YES...Did they later (under pressure) need to over compensate (with refund and free drean cruise) and open themselves up to an onslaught of "why not me too" complaints...NO !! Future similar claims will occur due to the publicity and prove interesting because NCL has now set a (expensive!) precedent that will open them up to a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" recourse. This will be interesting to follow...............................

I think there is a huge difference between “we screwed up, is there anything you can do for us?” and “we may have screwed up but you owe us, and we’re going to the press.”

There are too many “you owe us” people.

I misplaced my passport. The weather was bad. My original ports were hit by hurricanes. We missed Great Stirrup Cay. They won’t let my inside-cabin friends into the Haven with me.

So, why did “I misplaced my passport” win the lottery?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just came here to say this. Here is a link to the follow-up article. https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/01/28/norwegian-cruise-line-changes-course-offers-couple-apology-refund-and-dream-trip/JfHQCLMLSi9ZqjNug1EovI/story.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos1

I could have seen NCL giving them a nominal credit toward a future cruise, mainly due to the way shoreside handled things. The couple was at fault for their lack of proper documentation, but it wasn't handled as well as it could have been. That said, to give them a full refund PLUS a free cruise is outrageous!

NCL has the long view in mind, an investment in the future. Perhaps they will include NCL in their wills.

There's an obvious difference in this case vs just leaving your docs at home or in your luggage. And that's that NCL and/or their assigned agents communicated something that that fell through and also perhaps poor follow up and an on-the-scene customer service failure with the guests. After all, NCL did issue an apology, which is an admission of some responsibility. One can only assume NCL looked into this case and determined that they were at least partly responsible for the unfortunate outcome that day.

In this particular case, I think NCL did the right thing and I don't think it sets any sort of precedence that NCL should be worried about. Or any sort of expectation for past or future customers who simply screw up.

Companies often and wisely consider complaints on a case-by-case basis, taking extenuating circumstances into account. With the result often being a goodwill offering above and beyond what's written into their normal policy.

The way lawyers write things, and I know this from personal experience… You can say you're sorry without admitting responsibility or blame. For instance, "we are very sorry that this happened to you" and "we're very sorry you missed your cruise", etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

According to Dept of Homeland security in NY State......The Real Id Enforcement has been extended from Jan 22, 2018 to Oct 10,2018 to become compliant.....so until then in NY a regular state issued drivers license along with other documentation will suffice. Those poor people....if only someone would have thought to ask.....

Actually a REAL ID is not considered an Enhanced Driver's License..... the REAL ID is for US domestic air travel and not accepted as the sole ID for international travel (including WHTI cruises)

There are only 5 US states that have an Enhanced Driver's License and these licenses also double as a Passport Card which is accepted for WHTI travel..... and does not require a second source (birth certificate, etc)

As of 2017, an Enhanced Drivers License is available to U.S. citizen resident in the states of: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington...... the couple are from Massachusetts where they don't have the EDL.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

Edited by esm54687

Interesting the boat sailed with unaccounted for luggage. A plane would never do that. I do understand they are dealing with significant amount of pax, but if you fail to check in through security, that plane will not fly until your checked luggage is off of it for security reasons.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Interesting the boat sailed with unaccounted for luggage. A plane would never do that. I do understand they are dealing with significant amount of pax, but if you fail to check in through security, that plane will not fly until your checked luggage is off of it for security reasons.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Not always true. Ten minutes before I was to board a Southwest flight from Tampa to Manchester, NH my nose started to bleed heavily. EMTs were called and took me to a local hospital. My luggage continued on to Manchester without me.