Why Chair Hog Bullies Proliferate

SargassoPirate

This topic is discussed everywhere... all cruise lines, hotels etc.

While policies exist it is extremely difficult to enforce them.

RCCL is in better position as it is charges for unreturned towels unlike many others and I am surprised cruisers still leave them unattended.

I did not know that Celebrity had such a policy. Lots of saved chairs on my last Celebrity cruise.

It is posted in the daily bulletin. Signs also explain the min age limit in the Solarium..

I guess Celeb will have to make a better effort to advertise the rules...no saving of theater seats either..,esp whole rows by 1 person... Half of the group never shows ehile others saunter in late disrupting others!

I love this topic. I don't understand the love fest people have with sitting in a chair at the pool. If I had an inside room, I guess I might want a chair. But the reality is, I'd prefer to be in the water or at the pool bar or in my balcony room.....

I so agree. I pay good money for a balcony cabin and I'm going to enjoy it. Sitting shoulder to shoulder with 1,000 other sweaty people is not my idea of fun. But, I live in S Florida and have a pool so the draw is not there for us.

Did an inside once and then yea, I got out and used a chair, but up a deck or 2. Still didn't want to be in the throngs of people - lol

Heck on a typical sea day we'll spend the majority of the time on the balcony, even ordering room service. Best part of the cruise.

As he was leaving he called me a "fu#$er."

This is becoming a way of life with a certain group of disgusting people. All I would need to hear is someone calling my wife that and there would be a man overboard in seconds.

This topic is discussed everywhere... all cruise lines, hotels etc.

While policies exist it is extremely difficult to enforce them.

RCCL is in better position as it is charges for unreturned towels unlike many others and I am surprised cruisers still leave them unattended.

Maybe the cruise lines should require you to leave an i.d. to get a towel. It might stop people from reserving groups of chairs.

Maybe the cruise lines should require you to leave an i.d. to get a towel. It might stop people from reserving groups of chairs.

Sorry -- but that doesn't really work. RC used to (don't know if they still do) make you 'check out' pool towels. You could exchange your checked-out towel for a clean one, at any time. But, if that towel was not checked back in, before you left the ship, your seapass card was charged -- I think it was $20, last time I was on an RC ship.

It was a controversial policy on RC. Often, there were long lines on the last day, to check towels in. Also, if somebody else came up a towel 'short', you had to keep an eye open, to make sure they didn't swipe yours (while you were in the pool). As to be expected, there were stories of people checking their towels back in, on time -- only to get home and find a charge for one on their credit card bill.

But the real 'kicker' is that the checked-towel policy did nothing to deter chair-hogs. People who did that just resorted to using other things: hats, t-ships, paperback books, and flip-flops -- to name a few. Bottom line: the only thing that deters chair-hogs is having a clear policy in place -- and staff who are willing to enforce it.

Sorry -- but that doesn't really work. RC used to (don't know if they still do) make you 'check out' pool towels. You could exchange your checked-out towel for a clean one, at any time. But, if that towel was not checked back in, before you left the ship, your seapass card was charged -- I think it was $20, last time I was on an RC ship.

It was a controversial policy on RC. Often, there were long lines on the last day, to check towels in. Also, if somebody else came up a towel 'short', you had to keep an eye open, to make sure they didn't swipe yours (while you were in the pool). As to be expected, there were stories of people checking their towels back in, on time -- only to get home and find a charge for one on their credit card bill.

But the real 'kicker' is that the checked-towel policy did nothing to deter chair-hogs. People who did that just resorted to using other things: hats, t-ships, paperback books, and flip-flops -- to name a few. Bottom line: the only thing that deters chair-hogs is having a clear policy in place -- and staff who are willing to enforce it.

Our last RC cruise was a B2B Caribbean cruise March/April 2017 on the Jewel. The only time that was required to checkout pool towels using the Seapass card was on port days (even if you weren't leaving the ship) but not on sea days. $25.00 charge per pool towel if not returned by the last day of the cruise.

If you bring it to the attention of the Pool Attendant, I found they have no problem removing items from a chair.

My last April trans-Atlantic we had a cool day so the Solarium area chairs were a premium. 2 chairs next to me had a bag and some other items with no occupants for over 45 minutes (maybe longer because that's when my wife & I arrived and started timing). I told one pool staff and he promptly gathered it up.

If you bring it to the attention of the Pool Attendant, I found they have no problem removing items from a chair.

My last April trans-Atlantic we had a cool day so the Solarium area chairs were a premium. 2 chairs next to me had a bag and some other items with no occupants for over 45 minutes (maybe longer because that's when my wife & I arrived and started timing). I told one pool staff and he promptly gathered it up.

It’s good to know the pool attendant was responsive to you, but I’m wondering why they leave the policicing of loungers to cruisers. I agree with prior posters that Celebrity should implement a routine of removing left articles when a lounger is obviously not being used within a reasonable time. They shouldn’t wait to be asked.

I experienced a chair hog yesterday on Equinox! My husband and I arrived at the pool yesterday around 10am (sea day) . There were tons of chairs with just towels or towels and flip flops, water bottles, celebrity magazines, etc. We went to two chairs - with towels on them and nothing else-and asked a couple next to them if they had been occupied. The couple stated that they had been seated since 9am and no one had been in the chairs. We sat in the chairs.

A man shows up at 1:20pm demanding that we vacate the chairs that he had reserved-- btw he waited until my husband went to the restroom and approached me-- I told him that the reserving of pool chairs was not allowed. He told me that he could reserve chairs as long as he felt like and that he had got up at 8am to get these chairs (mind you it is now after 1Pm). I told him that I had been in the chair for three hours and reminded him of the policy. He then went to a pool butler and complained and then it escalated to an officer. The staff remained true to the policy and directed him elsewhere. As he was leaving he called me a "fu#$er."

I totally agree that Celebrity could do a better job in enforcing this policy. I saw several chairs "saved" and unoccupied the entire time I was at the pool (10am-3:30pm). It could be a simple as signs posted in the pool area warning that unattended items would be removed after one hour.

I'll tell you this..that D-Bag would have gotten the same back from me.

If no attendant is visible, I remove the articles myself. I just set them near the towel "boxes".

Eclipse T/A October & B2B Caribbean people had 2 beds on deck 14 overlooking solarium in shade and another in the sun. I usually left my bed around 11 am having been there since 9 and some took this bed as a 3rd. It got that I waited until someone was looking for a space and offered it to them.

In Canaries recently pool butlers folded items left on beds and put on the floor beside beds with a note that they had been removed as not used for 30 min- maybe people would understand that rule .

Thanks for the information. Now I know why that sign is posted behind the toilet, "Close lid and remove Bass Pro cap before flushing".

Hey Bob, I hope that we meet up some day. I think you and I are on the same page.

It’s good to know the pool attendant was responsive to you, but I’m wondering why they leave the policicing of loungers to cruisers. I agree with prior posters that Celebrity should implement a routine of removing left articles when a lounger is obviously not being used within a reasonable time. They shouldn’t wait to be asked.

It was on the Reflection, the pool attendant had a plastic bag which he gathered up all the belongings.

People can be so rude about chairs. One our last cruise, my boyfriend and I found one empty chair. We placed our stuff on it and I sat while he went to take a quick dip in the pool. A few minutes later, the woman sitting in the chair next to ours started packing up. I placed my bag on her chair as soon as she moved and began covering the chair with my towel so I could lay out. A woman came running up and threw her bag on the chair while I was straightening the towel. She said, “I have been waiting 30 minutes for this chair”. I was in such shock about how rude she was, I just said, “ok” and picked up my stuff and put it back over to my boyfriend’s chair. Boyfriend had just returned from his dip in the pool and we both sat at the end of his chair. The woman then said, “you can have this chair, I see another one”.

Here’s the thing. How was she even waiting for this one chair? For all she knew, the woman in the chair before us could have stayed in that chair for hours. Also, why didn’t she take the empty chair next to it that my boyfriend and I found a couple of minutes before that chair became vacant?

At least she saw the error of her way, but people can be nasty over these chairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People can be so rude about chairs. One our last cruise, my boyfriend and I found one empty chair. We placed our stuff on it and I sat while he went to take a quick dip in the pool. A few minutes later, the woman sitting in the chair next to ours started packing up. I placed my bag on her chair as soon as she moved and began covering the chair with my towel so I could lay out. A woman came running up and threw her bag on the chair while I was straightening the towel. She said, “I have been waiting 30 minutes for this chair”. I was in such shock about how rude she was, I just said, “ok” and picked up my stuff and put it back over to my boyfriend’s chair. Boyfriend had just returned from his dip in the pool and we both sat at the end of his chair. The woman then said, “you can have this chair, I see another one”.

Here’s the thing. How was she even waiting for this one chair? For all she knew, the woman in the chair before us could have stayed in that chair for hours. Also, why didn’t she take the empty chair next to it that my boyfriend and I found a couple of minutes before that chair became vacant?

At least she saw the error of her way, but people can be nasty over these chairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would have said that was my mother and she gave up her lounger for my boyfriend! :evilsmile: No way would I have let her take the lounger.

I'll tell you this..that D-Bag would have gotten the same back from me.

Yo are referring to the woman who was called a "F#@%er by some coarse jerk, when her husband had stepped away.

An officer had been called and, really, if that comment had been made in his presence, some formal action should have been taken. No innocent passenger should have to tolerate filthy language, especially a woman.

• 1 month later...