Considering Azamara

islandchick

My husband and I are considering Azamara for a transatlantic cruise. We normally sail with Celebrity and get the ultimate drink package and ultimate dining package dining in specialty venues at every meal.I am ready to move to the next level in cruising and am fine with a small ship. I do have a few questions:

1. Will we be happy with the food on Azamara in the main dining room, and how are the specialty restaurants? We really enjoy food so this is important to us. I know this is subjective but I would like as many opinions as possible. Photos would be great too.

2. Is Azamara a more upscale experience. For instance do I have to go to a bar to get a drink while I am laying by the pool or are there servers coming around to bring drinks around the lounging areas?

3. We love the sunset bar on Celebrity because you can just hang out, have a drink, and watch the wake of the ship. Is there anywhere like that on Azamara ships? I see something called the sunset bar but it looks more like an extension of the buffet area.

Sunset bar is an outdoor bar. Not always easy to get a table to eat as some guests sit forever after they are done eating,

Food in MDR is good but not great. Happy with the specialities.

I see pool waiters but many times I get up and get my own drink. Sometimes it is just faster then sitting waiting.

Cabins are small. Go fir a CC or spa suite.

My husband and I are considering Azamara for a transatlantic cruise. We normally sail with Celebrity and get the ultimate drink package and ultimate dining package dining in specialty venues at every meal.I am ready to move to the next level in cruising and am fine with a small ship. I do have a few questions:

1. Will we be happy with the food on Azamara in the main dining room, and how are the specialty restaurants? We really enjoy food so this is important to us. I know this is subjective but I would like as many opinions as possible. Photos would be great too.

2. Is Azamara a more upscale experience. For instance do I have to go to a bar to get a drink while I am laying by the pool or are there servers coming around to bring drinks around the lounging areas?

3. We love the sunset bar on Celebrity because you can just hang out, have a drink, and watch the wake of the ship. Is there anywhere like that on Azamara ships? I see something called the sunset bar but it looks more like an extension of the buffet area.

Just as food is subjective, so is peoples experiences so here is our take.

1. There is no comparison between the MDR on Azamara and that of Celebrity. The range offered by Azamara is wider and the attention to detail and quality of food is far higher. Even though because we stay mainly in suites we have free access to the Speciality Restaurants, you cannot eat there all the time and we try and schedule a goodly portion of time in the main dining room. The Specialities are very good, not the theatre of say Murano, but the Aqualina, the Italian on Azamara is far superior in my view to Tuscan. There are excellent packages to be had and these are openly published on the website, none of the Celebrity depends on who you ask what deal you get nonsense.

There are also Chefs Tables - these cost $190 for two but are special menus with paired wines 12 guests often hosted by a member of the ships management. I would say they are above a Murano experience and good fun.

2. I think it is a more upscale experience. I have never had to go for a drink when I am poolside. Waiters are circulating and get to know you - how often you need an refill etc. They also come round with cool towels and at some point each day they may come round with fruit sticks, sorbets, iced towels, canapés etc.

3. The sunset bar can have people eating dinner there its not a dining place or a bar place only so not unreasonably people may linger a while. But if you are there before the rush for dinner say around 6 no problem getting a seat. Another venue to consider is The Patio, great place at the edge of the pool deck for casual dining.

Hope this helps

I agree with everything uktog says. We usually book the speciality restaurants a few times in a cruise. There is a three visit package for $70.

If you like steak PrimeC serves a great one. The chateaubriand is wonderful, as is the rack of lamb.

On our last cruise which finished 5 days ago we had some wonderful meals in Discoveries (MDR). Lamb in particular was outstanding. Some lamb ribs I had were as good or better than any dish I’ve had in either speciality restaurant.

The other food to mention is the buffet on White Night (a deck party where most people wear white). It’s always good - lobster, steak, lamb, Frito misto, paella, crepes suzette etc.

The service is excellent, the waitstaff and bar tenders get to know what drinks you like very quickly. There are people coming round to get drink orders all the time around the pool area and on Deck 11, which is the other sunbathing/sitting area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with everything uktog says. We usually book the speciality restaurants a few times in a cruise. There is a three visit package for $70.

If you like steak PrimeC serves a great one. The chateaubriand is wonderful, as is the rack of lamb.

On our last cruise which finished 5 days ago we had some wonderful meals in Discoveries (MDR). Lamb in particular was outstanding. Some lamb ribs I had were as good or better than any dish I’ve had in either speciality restaurant.

The other food to mention is the buffet on White Night (a deck party where most people wear white). It’s always good - lobster, steak, lamb, Frito misto, paella, crepes suzette etc.

The service is excellent, the waitstaff and bar tenders get to know what drinks you like very quickly. There are people coming round to get drink orders all the time around the pool area and on Deck 11, which is the other sunbathing/sitting area.

Hi!

I noticed that you went to the Rome to Venice cruise last July. My wife and I are planning to do this this August. Any tips on how we should prepare for this? This is the only the second time we are cruising and the only other time is a short 2-night Disney Cruise with our kids. :)

Sorry, I was thinking of sending you a PM about this but I don't think there is any option to do this.

TIA!

Onboard Journey now, first time sailing with Azamara.

We’re in a suite and so we have access to the speciality restaurants without charge - you can certainly dine there every night if you wish. Just organise this when you board. Our neighbours are currently alternating between Aqualina and Prime C every night.

Here are some photos of the dishes you’ll find in the speciality restaurants.

7a961c1973058f215e2b0ffd1b59d311.jpg

Starter of prosciutto wrapped scallops from Aqualina

87ad0ad05cf25321e849a57d241b5ad3.jpg

Pea and fennel soup from Aqualina

639ee0b4ee64db76544817254c1a2f97.jpg

Dover Sole with sun dried tomato risotto from Aqualina

69dd6ad1bc34cd50777bdab892eb46c8.jpg

Starter of Norwegian smoked salmon with egg and potato salad from Prime C

20dec71c12eaf2b1aa82d1e624b62fa4.jpg

Warm water lobster salad from Prime C

d7411f95dbb41b33637efc65162d6809.jpg

Veal fillet main course from a Prime C

The food has been of a very high standard, unlike other cruises we’ve completed in the past. We’ve dined in the MDR for both breakfast and lunch and I can confirm that the options available and the quality of the food is certainly higher than what you would experience in a mainstream cruise line MDR.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for pool side bar service, the waiters are quite attentive and will do the rounds. Look out for them, alternatively, if you walk up to the bar and place your order, just let the bartender know what area you’re sitting in and they’ll bring your drink to you as soon as it’s ready.

The Sunset Bar is a lovely spot with a view of the wake. As it is also a buffet seating area, it is obviously busier during peak lunch and dinner hours, however there is seating along the bar itself on stools which is generally unoccupied by diners and so usually available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. I would consider us "foodies" as well as very good home cooks, and we thoroughly enjoy the food on Azamara. We tried Aqualina, Prime C and a Chef's Table on a past cruise, but find the food in Discoveries (MDR), Windows (buffet with indoor/outdoor seating) and the Patio (protected outdoor seating) all extremely good and have not bothered paying the premium again since. We check the menus for each location in the morning and then decided where we will dine that evening.

2. The bar staff at all locations are excellent. Always circulating at the pool, Sunset Bar and in the Library (a lovely spot for a cocktail).

3. We love the Sunset Bar on AZ. You could call it an extension of Windows (buffet) as people do dine here. But we've rarely had to wait to find a spot to sit (just ask to share a table if there's seats available). We most often have late afternoon cocktails at the Sunset Bar (weather permitting) and quite enjoying being perched at the bar and chatting with the bartenders and staff. You can nip into Windows and pile a plate with nibbles as well. We didn't find as many people eating dinner at the tables at Sunset Bar on our last cruise.

Hope our opinion helps. I think you will really enjoy the experience.

I love my food and consider the food on Azamara to be very good. Aqualina and Prime C serve excellent meals, although the menu never changes. One of the big surprises for me was the standard of the food in Windows, the buffet restaurant, at which we frequently dined in the evening on our last cruise. Most buffets are hit and miss but I was very impressed with the freshness and quality of the buffet food. There is a different theme every night (e.g. Italian, Asian) so the choice changes constantly. I also enjoyed the main restaurant, Discoveries, which has a daily changing menu that is printed outside the restaurant every day.

We are also onboard the Journey now and in a suite. We have alternated dining between Windows ( depending on tour schedule and buffet theme), Aquafina, Prime C and Discoveries. I loved Tazza_0712’s pictures so now I have some new items I will try on my next visit! The food (in my opinion) is a step or two up from Celebrity and the service is far superior. We have had excellent meals in the main dining room. We always find a waiter that we like ( even though most are very good) and stick with him or her through the entire cruise. Ours brings us dishes to try and our drinks are at the table without us even having to ask. As for pool service, I always find it very good. Even better on this cruise as our weather has been as the captain says “fresh” and there are not many brave souls pool side.

We've done 4 Transatlantics on AZ and enjoyed every one because the ship is beautiful, passengers and friendly and classy, and there is enough to do to keep us happy. Ship officers and personnel are all around and engaged with the passengers. Food quality in the AZ specialty restos is superior to Celebrity specialities, while the quality in the MDR on AZ is lower than Blu on Celebrity & better than MDR on Celeb. The Sunset Bar on AZ is lovely, but busy during lunch time. We found AZ to be a definite step above Celebrity. prettier ship, better service, generally better food (buffet is much better). Bit plus is the intimacy of a smaller ship coupled with the friendly passengers on AZ. Not sure we would travel on Celebrity again, unless presented with a great deal, while we would definitely consider AZ again.

Lots of great information and opinions. I'll give mine too, which will repeat a lot of what has been said:

1. MDR on Azamara is in my view a step up from Celebrity and is less frenetic with more of a chance to interact with your wait staff. I actually enjoy eating there for the variety. The menu for that evening is posted on the wall outside the restaurant so you can have a look and see if anything takes your fancy prior to a decision. I think they have them on the TV now too, but I haven't used this function so perhaps someone else can confirm. There is a good choice of food in the Specialties so if you have a broad range of tastes then you will be fine. Here's a link to the menus. The Chef's Table is worth doing:

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/life-onboard/dining

If you are foodies you ought to try the Indonesian Rijsttafel evening. It's really good. They don't heavily market it, but will have one of the waiters walking around the buffet at lunch in an Indonesian costume with flyers. Personally I'd ask one of the Maitre d's early on in the cruise and register your interest if you want to do it. It's well worth while.

I will also concur that I like dinner in the buffet also on some of the special theme nights. White Night evening providing the weather is good will be a deck barbecue which is fun. The Patio outdoor dining area I like very much too. Casual, but table service and outside. If you go, try it.

2. Yes, bar servers are readily available on the pool deck and will do the rounds up on deck 11 sunbathing area too, but less frequent. If you are desperate for a drink the Pool Bar is available. In fact that is one of the first things I noticed on Azamara, having done a lot on Celebrity. Service is just more attentive. For example I was used to going and getting my own tea or coffee at breakfast at the buffet or waiting for the Celebrity tea and coffee trolley to come around. Azamara waiters are on hand to get them for you and proactively ask. No need to get them yourself.

3. The Sunset Bar can get crowded at peak times for breakfast and lunch, but I've never had an issue getting seated, even if I have to wait a little while or indeed ask if we can join a table (there are four seats at each table and often only two people sitting there) so go ahead and ask. It's a friendly ship and a nice way to meet people. It's also really pleasant to sit out there in the evening for dinner or a drink if the weather is good.

Tha's all I can think of at the moment.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

One other comment although I said we often had a suite and another cruiser advised you you would need a suite I would say a suite is certainly not necessary. Shower is smaller but not impossible. Service outside the room is no different suite or non suite

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And the buffet theme for the next night in Windows is in the newsletter you will receive each evening. The staff at the specialty restaurant booking table can also tell you for the entire cruise. We always check when the buffet will be Indian and make note as it is one we won't miss.

And the buffet theme for the next night in Windows is in the newsletter you will receive each evening. The staff at the specialty restaurant booking table can also tell you for the entire cruise. We always check when the buffet will be Indian and make note as it is one we won't miss.

I have never had Indian food and don;t really know what it is. What kind of food is served meaning what is it like lamb or rice etc?

Thanks

Kathy

I have never had Indian food and don;t really know what it is. What kind of food is served meaning what is it like lamb or rice etc?

Thanks

Kathy

Curry (meat and vegetable) with boiled or pilau rice, samosas ( bit like empanadas but nicer in my opinion, Dahl (lentil curry), naan bread etc. A lot is spicy (hot), wonderful flavours. Try this website to see pictures https://funkystock.photoshelter.com/gallery/Indian-Food-Pictures-Indian-Cuisine-Photos-Images/G0000se3CYQGIfKY/C0000Jg2uRGSZBFg

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

One big difference is the bathroom. The bathrooms in the CC Suites are much bigger, with either a bath with shower above, or with a proper shower cubicle. Showers in other cabins are small with a curtain.

On our last few Celebrity cruises in balcony cabins, there was a plastic shower door, much better than a curtain. Azamara balcony cabins have curtains and smaller shower than Celebrity.

Here is 1 cruise line to avoid

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/travel/fl-bz-carnival-liberty-fails-inspection-20180126-story.html

Edited by Tom47
typo