Weather in July

CEFMLF06

I have never been on a cruise before, but we just happen to be flying through Miami on our way to and from visiting friends in South America and thought we might add on a cruise! I know July is technically hurricane season, but I wanted to get advice from people who have cruises during that month. Any thoughts?

A ship's itinerary can change at the drop of a hat due to weather, mechanical issues, or medical emergencies onboard. As long as you take all those factors into consideration, and won't be too bent out of shape if something happens to change your ports, I would definitely try to fit a cruise in if you can!

Hurricanes don't sneak up on you. There will be ample time for you and the cruise line to adjust. Worst case, if a hurricane hits smack into Miami on departure day, they will leave from a nearby port out of harm's way. You would just change your flight. Since the MIA airport would be closed in that event, you could change with no fees.

We have cruised the last 15 years in July and fly in every time. The main impact a hurricane will have on you is if it hits the home port around your embarkment or disembarkment day. This could impact your flight coming in and your ship coming in or leaving the port. They may reroute the cruise if a hurricane is nearby so there might be a different itinerary.

That being said in 15 years we have never missed a flight or cruise do to bad weather. We have been close, but have never been impacted by a hurricane. July is still a little early in the season. Does not mean it cannot happen but it is early.

I have never been on a cruise before, but we just happen to be flying through Miami on our way to and from visiting friends in South America and thought we might add on a cruise! I know July is technically hurricane season, but I wanted to get advice from people who have cruises during that month. Any thoughts?

We cruised in August out of Miami. I have lived in the south my entire life and have been to Florida many times. Key West in August was brutally hot!!!!! We were lucky and got back to port but the ship with us in Cozumel was one of the ones stranded by the hurricane.

Go for it - you will love it. Just buy trip insurance!

While weather should not be an issue in July, the number of kids on board most Carnival ships out of Miami could be a deal breaker.

Here's a thought: If you will be in South America, NCL and Celebrity and probably other lines (but not Carnival) have regular, wonderful itineraries for both coasts (on my bucket list). Maybe explore those options if your flights aren't set in stone yet.

The weather for July in Miami is a daily temperature around 92, with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms daily. This weather report is the same everyday, and never changes in Florida.

Hurricane season is 6 months long. This year I will predict 14 named storms, but only 7 hurricanes. You will have a 4% chance of being on a cruise ship during a hurricane, and a .05% chance that it affects you. Sailing in July, will give you better odds of not encountering a hurricane, since the season slowly picks up as the season moves to the end.

Very hot in the Caribbean and always a chance of thunderstorms. Not much chance of hurricanes in July.

Cabibbean isn't that much hotter in July, it is more humid...... very humid. Great if you like the beach and swimming We cruised many times in summer until HAL sdtopped doing tthe Caribbean in gthe summer. Many cruise lines leave for the summer and go to Europe, Canda/ NE and Alaska.

If you're going much past the Equator, July is "winter" there. However, in the Caribbean, it's humid....the temps don't vary much, but the humidity gets worse during July and August and into Sept. Once you are past Puerto Rico, it's not the "hurricane" alley.....the S. Caribbean rarely gets hurricanes.

There is aways a chance for a hurricane but that would not stop me from sailing and we have done it a few times over the year.

It likely will be hot and humid and often you will have a daily thunderstorm but it won't last for long.

I would definitely cruise then.

Keith