Dog on ship, continued

I am disabled and use a wheelchair most of the time, last aug, I got up to go pee, used the walker and the rails and yet I still fell in the bathroom. Ended up on the floor, stranded, crying, in the dark.(was early morning actually) Husband was out in our shop and there i laid screaming for help. This was Four days before our Alaska cruise, and I ended up in the hospital and it was then that I was set up with an organization to help me get a service dog. My disease is never going away and is only progressing.

It will take months of training for both me and my new pet/support worker. We are hoping by the end of the year I have my dog.

I hate hate that abled bodied healthy people are abusing this system, but it is no surprise people think we are getting special treatment. If **I** can bring my dog then so should they!

If they only lived a week in a disabled persons shoes maybe they would not be so quick to bring these fake animals with them!

have a great day!

• Like 1

People letting their pets poop on the ship likely behave no better on land. Sidewalks of NYC are full of landmines. Pet peeve of mine. Pun intended!

I have seen dog owners let their dogs poop in middle if the sidewalk in front of my eyes. Their response - wasn't my dog (my response - I saw it come out). Their response - oh, did not know he/she went. This one was in front of the steps of my apartment buiding where the dog owner also lived. ( my response - why did you think your dog stopped here for several minutes.)

Never in a million years would I have thought to take a photo of a doggie poop area. I have taken photos of the Eiffel Tower, the Parthenon, Stonehenge, the Old Course, etc. etc. and just never thought to include a photo of a doggie poop box for my travel memories collection. Thank God someone did.

LOL, you should see the photos that I have taken on the ship, that I can’t post on CC. ;)

You just gotta be quick with your camera as you never know what you might see and when you might need it. Prime example, last summer at Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance I snapped this pic. Something unique and an interesting conversation piece.

5bf518348f4d654c28655a297a54ee94.jpg

I already have photos of the amazing places that you mentioned, but if I see something that is unique and stands out I snap a pic. Rest assured, on my next cruise if a dog poops at GS I’ll get a pic of the dog and it’s owner but I will most likely haze their face. You know that will make my Live review, and if time prevails I will leave a note beside it saying “Guarda i tuoi passi” followed by “Bellissimo”, in my best sarcasm font. :)

Edited by A&L_Ont

I thought it was in the cruise contract that they can be removed from the ship if their ‘service animal’ relieves itself in a public area.

If it is not included in the cruise contract, it should be.

However, if my child was allergic and I ran into an “emotional support dog” I would be pissed and demand that management do something to protect my child.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would bet money it is not an anaphylactic allergy, otherwise a child would need to not leave a sterile environment, as dogs are everywhere. Also, unless the dog is chasing your child, why would management need to "protect" them. Just stay away from the dog for christ's sake.

I am not sure why people bring pets on board, but really it is not my concern. My dogs mean as much to me as your kids do to you, and there is NO WAY I would bring them on a cruise ship.

I am disabled and use a wheelchair most of the time, last aug, I got up to go pee, used the walker and the rails and yet I still fell in the bathroom. Ended up on the floor, stranded, crying, in the dark.(was early morning actually) Husband was out in our shop and there i laid screaming for help. This was Four days before our Alaska cruise, and I ended up in the hospital and it was then that I was set up with an organization to help me get a service dog. My disease is never going away and is only progressing.

It will take months of training for both me and my new pet/support worker. We are hoping by the end of the year I have my dog.

I hate hate that abled bodied healthy people are abusing this system, but it is no surprise people think we are getting special treatment. If **I** can bring my dog then so should they!

If they only lived a week in a disabled persons shoes maybe they would not be so quick to bring these fake animals with them!

have a great day!

Wishing you all the very best. I hope your quality of life will improve greatly when you get your dog. Take care

Never in a million years would I have thought to take a photo of a doggie poop area. I have taken photos of the Eiffel Tower, the Parthenon, Stonehenge, the Old Course, etc. etc. and just never thought to include a photo of a doggie poop box for my travel memories collection. Thank God someone did. :'):'):')

Hahaha!

We had six SERVICE dogs on a recent Oasis cruise. Captain mentioned the dogs, and the organization they represent at Muster and there was a blurb about the dogs in the compass. Guests were asked to not to pet or distract the service dogs.

I saw several of the dogs every day. ALL were on a leash, NONE made any noise, NONE were fed from the table, NONE were in a stroller, NONE were dressed up, NONE were carried, the few I saw at dinner sat quietly close to their owners. I spoke to an owner (in a wheelchair) who had a large dog and she told me there was a special group of owners and dogs on board. (I don't believe she said " owner", I just can't remember what she used). I did see one dog run free in the ocean at Labadee. .

There were 3 "relief" areas on the walking deck. One grass and two bark. There was also small plastic bags and hand sanitizer there. I never saw anything in the relief areas. (I walked that area almost every day.)

On a past cruise I saw a dog in a stroller that had a different outfit for every day. The day the owner was having a meal with an officer ( I was there also) the dog was dressed in a captain's outfit. The owner removed the dog from the stroller and anyone who wanted to hold the dog, could. On another cruise, I did see a woman in a wheelchair with a lap dog.

Seems recently there is at least one dog each cruise. I've never seen any other animals on RCCL ships

M

...........I am not sure why people bring pets on board, but really it is not my concern. My dogs mean as much to me as your kids do to you, and there is NO WAY I would bring them on a cruise ship.

Well said. c6021c94f93ec946429e36fce9e91d7d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had that happen quite often on the Grandeur, by some man. He was eventually kicked off the ship and maybe even the cruise line. Maybe he’s back again. The one I’m talking about, mainly sailed on the Grandeur and Explorer, while it was in NJ. I heard they are getting tougher on the requirements of comfort animals. Does anyone know if they charge extra for bringing on a service or comfort animal?

Gwen [emoji3]

He is banned from Grandeur.

I have heard of cruisers being banned before, but never for one or some ships but not others.

It makes no sense.

"We had that happen quite often on the Grandeur, by some man."

Wow, how wasted was this man to poop on the carpet???? :'):'):')

2c18917f8a1076e16e56285dbc62b6e1.jpg

Edited by Dennis#1

Who knows perhaps it was the man and not the dog. Years back when I worked in a meat Dept. happened to look up an aisle in time to see a guy let a load drop right down his pant leg and keep on walking toward the front door. When I called on the intercom for a cleanup in aisle six, I was glad I did not work in grocery.

Who knows perhaps it was the man and not the dog. Years back when I worked in a meat Dept. happened to look up an aisle in time to see a guy let a load drop right down his pant leg and keep on walking toward the front door. When I called on the intercom for a cleanup in aisle six, I was glad I did not work in grocery.

That's crazy. Maybe if he had an ESA this would not have happened.;)

On a side note, I thought this type of activity would be more likely to happen in Isle #2.:')

have a great day!

Its the fakers who are ruining it for people like you who actually need a service animal, if you had your dog when you fell, he would of been able to get you help by alerting others.

Good luck in receiving your dog and then training. :)

Good luck putting a stop to these idiots that abuse the system with “support” animals. As long as a Dr is writing a note, there isn’t much you can do about it.

Even if a doctor writes a "prescription" for an emotional support animal, they are not guaranteed access to public spaces, under law, period. The only two places ESA's are guaranteed access is in housing and on airplanes. Every other business or public building can refuse access to these animals, even with a doctor's "note".

• Thanks 1

Seeing how there isn't a charge incurred for an Emotional Support Animal being brought onto a ship could I get a certificate for my wife and bring her on free of charge? She truly is my emotional support.

Is your wife still talking to you after calling her a “Emotional Support Animal”?

507aca0f85bd7b13e8cd1d8863bebfca.jpg

Had a run in with a questionable "support" dog in a Harris Teeter three days ago. Man puts his invaluable dog (with the online certification collar) in the fold out area of a cart where parents seat their children. I'd had enough. I confronted him and was quite loud hoping to get the attention of all around (I did). I asked what he thought he was doing placing the dog's bare anus and genitals in a shopping cart. A young assistant manager walked up at this time. The dog owner responded that it was none of my business and I couldn't ask. I told him it was definitely my business since I might be using that cart another day and that I didn't want to to place my groceries or granddaughter in a space where the dog's bare bottom had been. I was expecting the "dog's are cleaner than people" bull defense, but it didn't come. I raised my voice even more to remind him that I could ask him anything I want, that I was not restricted by ADA. The assistant manager was in an uncomfortable position. I reminded him that this wasn't a challenge of ADA rights since the dog wasn't restricted from coming into the store. I confronted the ADA "expert" clarifying that ADA gets his darling dog in the door; it isn't a free pass into a shopping cart.

He didn't have an answer for that. He quietly said to the manager that he would carry the dog "to get him off the hook." That set me off again. I bellowed that the dog belonged on a leash, not in a cart, and that this was not a one time challenge. I made it clear that any time I would see him in the store with a dog in a cart, I would follow right behind him and would very loudly and continuously protest.

The phonies use ADA as weapon to scare proprietors away from challenges. They make a mockery of those with legitimate service animal needs. ADA doesn't apply to passengers adversely affected by the erstwhile service dogs. Time for us to strike back. A dog relieves itself inappropriately on a ship, raise a very loud protest. Do everything you can to focus attention on the defecator. Someone puts little Bootsie on her lap at the dinner table, start yelling, yes yelling, for the maitre d. I think you will find that this will empower others who have had enough. It's time for RCCL and other proprietors to know that pacifying the one is not worth the uproar of the majority.

I agree. I confronted and reported a person who had a dog sitting in the grocery store cart. The dog was seated in the secton of the cart where people put their childern and/or food in. This is a health and safety issue, the dog;s bare bottom on the cart. The manager of the store instructed the dog owner that the dog needed to remain on the floor never in the food cart. I have noticed that several stores display signs that read "No pets allowed in the store, service dogs only." If I see a dog or any other aminal in the cart I will report it. I think it is nasty to allow a dog to ride in a food cart.