Dog on ship, continued

Is your wife still talking to you after calling her a “Emotional Support Animal”?

507aca0f85bd7b13e8cd1d8863bebfca.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think she would be talking to me for sure if she cruised free!! In the real sense of the word she is an animal but I never said she was an animal...just my emotional support.

You know the people who bring their pets on a cruise don't care what others say or do. However, Royal would care if folks started voicing their opinions with their pocketbooks and stopped taking cruises because of FAKE emotional support animals; aka PETS.

Even if a doctor writes a "prescription" for an emotional support animal, they are not guaranteed access to public spaces, under law, period. The only two places ESA's are guaranteed access is in housing and on airplanes. Every other business or public building can refuse access to these animals, even with a doctor's "note".

Agree.....but many are afraid to say anything.

We were on Harmony and there was a large German Shepherd around the ship. His behavior was not that of a Service Animal and one night, when we were in Dazzles, the dog was sitting on the banquette next to his owner, then sitting on the floor and playing with the owner by putting his paws up on his shoulders. I know that per RCI guidelines dogs are not to be on the furniture, chairs etc. and could be a problem for someone who sat there afterward if they have allergies so I said something at Guest Services. I was told that the are was "sanitized" every night after closing. The next day I went into Dazzles and looked at the banquette....which was vinyl/leather covered.....and, guess what? There was dog hair all over. So much for sanitizing. I also am curious is a stateroom that is occupied by a dog gets an additional cleaning on turnaround day?

We had six SERVICE dogs on a recent Oasis cruise. Captain mentioned the dogs, and the organization they represent at Muster and there was a blurb about the dogs in the compass. Guests were asked to not to pet or distract the service dogs.

I saw several of the dogs every day. ALL were on a leash, NONE made any noise, NONE were fed from the table, NONE were in a stroller, NONE were dressed up, NONE were carried, the few I saw at dinner sat quietly close to their owners. I spoke to an owner (in a wheelchair) who had a large dog and she told me there was a special group of owners and dogs on board. (I don't believe she said " owner", I just can't remember what she used). I did see one dog run free in the ocean at Labadee. .

There were 3 "relief" areas on the walking deck. One grass and two bark. There was also small plastic bags and hand sanitizer there. I never saw anything in the relief areas. (I walked that area almost every day.)

On a past cruise I saw a dog in a stroller that had a different outfit for every day. The day the owner was having a meal with an officer ( I was there also) the dog was dressed in a captain's outfit. The owner removed the dog from the stroller and anyone who wanted to hold the dog, could. On another cruise, I did see a woman in a wheelchair with a lap dog.

Seems recently there is at least one dog each cruise. I've never seen any other animals on RCCL ships

M

The group on OA a few weeks ago was "PAWS" The cruisers have TRAINED assistance dogs. These cruisers also need these dogs for specific reasons -- blind, seizure disorder, PTSD, etc. I am afraid that the people with "Emotional Support Animals" or fake Service Dogs (with the Certificates bought on the Internet for $50) could make it harder for people to travel who need real, trained Assistance Animals.

Seeing how there isn't a charge incurred for an Emotional Support Animal being brought onto a ship could I get a certificate for my wife and bring her on free of charge? She truly is my emotional support.

Long as she sits in your lap or at your feet and doesn't eat off your plate. My wife is well trained(says I'm not), though she does eat of my plate so it's a No-GO for me...

The Airlines are cracking down on Emotional Support Animals.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/01/united-delta-change-emotional-support-animal-rules/

Yes, on page one of this thread.... Also picture on post #806 https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2513501&highlight=peacock&page=41

Edited by ONECRUISER

Good luck putting a stop to these idiots that abuse the system with “support” animals. As long as a Dr is writing a note, there isn’t much you can do about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can get one off the internet! It's totally out of control and ruining it for those who truly need a service animal.

Leave your spoiled pet at home, that's all it is... a spoiled pet with an obnoxious owner!

I agree, some people are very selfish and that was revolting just leaving the mess for someone else to clear up.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I agree.

My personal opinion is that I tend to think the people who abuse the Emotional Support Animals are the same individuals that park in the pregnant mothers and family spots at the mall when they are neither, use a wheel chair parking permit of their relative/partner etc that isn't with them or worse yet deceased, park in the fire route just to run into the store, or take double the amount of items in the short item line at the grocery store. I am sure others here can think of comparable examples.

I think their mentality that it is just a little fib/cheat here and there. It doesn't hurt anyone, so in their opinion there is nothing wrong with doing it. It comes down to their moral compass. For those that abuse the ESA system it might be their selfishness of not caring, or cheapness if they don't want to pay for a kennel, or lack of honesty and integrity. It could even be a combination of all the above or something I didn't think about.

Hopefully RC and other cruise lines re-evaluate their ES animals standards/regulations just as the airlines are starting to do. It only takes one cruise line to take a step in that direction and the others will follow. Clearly it is becoming a situation that the airlines had to address and soon others will as well. Then the abusers could be held to task, and the individuals with legitamite animals aren't regretfully painted with the same brush.

RC ships sail full all the time, so the "threat" of fake ESA animals and their owner's not cruising is really not relevant. For every person that stops cruising there is someone to take their spot so there isn't a loss of revenue. I am curious about one thing; I wonder how many Fido's and FiFi's that ride in a stroller and have outfits live a few miles away from port compared to flying in. I suspect there is a high correlation.

Why are RCCL ships allowing this anyway?...They are foreign flagged and as such have no obligation to comply with ADA or other American regulations.

I am very P.Oed at the very idea of passengers abusing this. I wish the Wounded Vets and other groups would speak out against this as many vets have LEGITIMATE need for emotional support animals ...and this type abuse might cause them to be lumped in with the knuckleheads.

Doug

Why are RCCL ships allowing this anyway?...They are foreign flagged and as such have no obligation to comply with ADA or other American regulations.

I am very P.Oed at the very idea of passengers abusing this. I wish the Wounded Vets and other groups would speak out against this as many vets have LEGITIMATE need for emotional support animals ...and this type abuse might cause them to be lumped in with the knuckleheads.

Doug

I don't know the details, but chengkp will probably see this and chime in.

The cruiselines have voluntarily agreed to abide by the law, since it is in their best interest to do so.

Doug

Great point, I never thought of that. Agree this is out of control. There was a lady on Anthem last July pushing a stroller with a little Yorkie dressed in full outfits all over the ship. Clearly not a service animal. At least I never saw the dog poop in a public space.

I agree.

My personal opinion is that I tend to think the people who abuse the Emotional Support Animals are the same individuals that park in the pregnant mothers and family spots at the mall when they are neither, use a wheel chair parking permit of their relative/partner etc that isn't with them or worse yet deceased, park in the fire route just to run into the store, or take double the amount of items in the short item line at the grocery store. I am sure others here can think of comparable examples.

I think their mentality that it is just a little fib/cheat here and there. It doesn't hurt anyone, so in their opinion there is nothing wrong with doing it. It comes down to their moral compass. For those that abuse the ESA system it might be their selfishness of not caring, or cheapness if they don't want to pay for a kennel, or lack of honesty and integrity. It could even be a combination of all the above or something I didn't think about.

Hopefully RC and other cruise lines re-evaluate their ES animals standards/regulations just as the airlines are starting to do. It only takes one cruise line to take a step in that direction and the others will follow. Clearly it is becoming a situation that the airlines had to address and soon others will as well. Then the abusers could be held to task, and the individuals with legitamite animals aren't regretfully painted with the same brush.

RC ships sail full all the time, so the "threat" of fake ESA animals and their owner's not cruising is really not relevant. For every person that stops cruising there is someone to take their spot so there isn't a loss of revenue. I am curious about one thing; I wonder how many Fido's and FiFi's that ride in a stroller and have outfits live a few miles away from port compared to flying in. I suspect there is a high correlation.

Great comparisons.

A lot of us have or had pets but the vast majority make arrangements for our pets to be looked after and we don't bring them on a ship or hotel with us.

If it is good enough for the majority of us the few who cheat the system and don't need service dogs should be stopped because it might ultimately cause a total ban on dogs to the detriment of the few who depend on their service animals.

Great point, I never thought of that. Agree this is out of control. There was a lady on Anthem last July pushing a stroller with a little Yorkie dressed in full outfits all over the ship. Clearly not a service animal. At least I never saw the dog poop in a public space.

Maybe it was a mental health service dog.

Right...a "mental health" service dog...ugh. I do have to agree though that if you are pushing a dog in a stroller dressed up in outfits you do have a mental health issue! Oh well...nothing like the smell of urine and dog poop as we run or exercise in the morning. Who needs the fresh sea air! The needs of the few, the privileged are apparently more important than the needs of the masses...isn't that the way things are going in our country anyway???

Right...a "mental health" service dog...ugh. I do have to agree though that if you are pushing a dog in a stroller dressed up in outfits you do have a mental health issue! Oh well...nothing like the smell of urine and dog poop as we run or exercise in the morning. Who needs the fresh sea air! The needs of the few, the privileged are apparently more important than the needs of the masses...isn't that the way things are going in our country anyway???

We cruise around the Mediterranean, Atlantic sea and the Arabian gulf and after 45 cruises we have never seen any service dogs or comfort animals on board so i guess we have been very fortunate.

Doug

As a matter of fact, the foreign flag ships do have to abide by many US regulations, like the ADA and the EPA's emissions and pollution regulations, etc, etc. The SCOTUS ruled in Spector v NCL that the ADA does apply to foreign flag cruise ships in certain respects, but that the ship's "internal policies and procedures" are not subject to the ADA. In my opinion, the regulating of the behavior of service animals, and their access to all areas of the ship would fall under "internal policies and procedures".

The real question is why are emotional support animals being allowed onboard, since regardless of a person's legitimate need for an emotional support animal, they are not granted guaranteed access to public spaces and businesses. As I've stated repeatedly, emotional support animals are not protected under the ADA, but only under the FHA (guaranteed housing), and the ACAA (allowed on airplanes). So, even vets with legitimate need for a support animal cannot bring their animals in most public places. Only animals that do a specific duty for disabilities like PTSD, not ones that merely calm the owner by their presence, are protected under the ADA.

• Thanks 1

So disgusting! I would have called him out for sure. Run after him and said excuse me sir but your dog just pooped. Aren’t you going to clean it up? Really loud.

I have nothing against well trained service working dogs.

However I do not want to be in a cabin after that man! If the dog poops in a public place you know he pees and poops in the cabin. And I’m guessing Royal doesn’t clean the carpet either.

Let them bring the dog but use one of those lights to check and if the dog has peed or pooped in the room charge them a deep clean fee. ( not sure what that light is called but when we moved out of a apartment once with a dog they used it. Our dog passed with flying colors.). A $500 cleaning fee might stop this.

Again I’m so grossed out.

The real question is why are emotional support animals being allowed onboard, since regardless of a person's legitimate need for an emotional support animal, they are not granted guaranteed access to public spaces and businesses. As I've stated repeatedly, emotional support animals are not protected under the ADA, but only under the FHA (guaranteed housing), and the ACAA (allowed on airplanes). So, even vets with legitimate need for a support animal cannot bring their animals in most public places. Only animals that do a specific duty for disabilities like PTSD, not ones that merely calm the owner by their presence, are protected under the ADA.

What you said Chief above is what the cruise lines should and can use to stop the influx of ES animals. The lines would not break any laws from what you said above, but as of now they are comfortable with allowing them with little or no concern. In all honesty, I think it will take a lawsuit from a dog bite or attack on the ship before the lines really put a stop to ES animals on board. The person will sue the pet owner and the cruise line, and most likely get more from the line.

This is one time that I would actually be happy to see the lawyer who chases cruise ships.