Dog on ship, continued

Had a run in with a questionable "support" dog in a Harris Teeter three days ago. Man puts his invaluable dog (with the online certification collar) in the fold out area of a cart where parents seat their children. I'd had enough. I confronted him and was quite loud hoping to get the attention of all around (I did). I asked what he thought he was doing placing the dog's bare anus and genitals in a shopping cart. A young assistant manager walked up at this time. The dog owner responded that it was none of my business and I couldn't ask. I told him it was definitely my business since I might be using that cart another day and that I didn't want to to place my groceries or granddaughter in a space where the dog's bare bottom had been. I was expecting the "dog's are cleaner than people" bull defense, but it didn't come. I raised my voice even more to remind him that I could ask him anything I want, that I was not restricted by ADA. The assistant manager was in an uncomfortable position. I reminded him that this wasn't a challenge of ADA rights since the dog wasn't restricted from coming into the store. I confronted the ADA "expert" clarifying that ADA gets his darling dog in the door; it isn't a free pass into a shopping cart.

He didn't have an answer for that. He quietly said to the manager that he would carry the dog "to get him off the hook." That set me off again. I bellowed that the dog belonged on a leash, not in a cart, and that this was not a one time challenge. I made it clear that any time I would see him in the store with a dog in a cart, I would follow right behind him and would very loudly and continuously protest.

The phonies use ADA as weapon to scare proprietors away from challenges. They make a mockery of those with legitimate service animal needs. ADA doesn't apply to passengers adversely affected by the erstwhile service dogs. Time for us to strike back. A dog relieves itself inappropriately on a ship, raise a very loud protest. Do everything you can to focus attention on the defecator. Someone puts little Bootsie on her lap at the dinner table, start yelling, yes yelling, for the maitre d. I think you will find that this will empower others who have had enough. It's time for RCCL and other proprietors to know that pacifying the one is not worth the uproar of the majority.

• Like 1

60ff1f4896e6a3faf6a7271f944875f6.jpg

I am taking my emotional support Bird on the Oasis with me today

Go Eagles, watch out Billy, here comes Philly, Dilly Dilly

Sent from my iPad using Forums

According to my BIL in Boston - You are REALLY going to need that bird to comfort you for the rest of the week. :D

Had a run in with a questionable "support" dog in a Harris Teeter three days ago. Man puts his invaluable dog (with the online certification collar) in the fold out area of a cart where parents seat their children. I'd had enough. I confronted him and was quite loud hoping to get the attention of all around (I did). I asked what he thought he was doing placing the dog's bare anus and genitals in a shopping cart. A young assistant manager walked up at this time. The dog owner responded that it was none of my business and I couldn't ask. I told him it was definitely my business since I might be using that cart another day and that I didn't want to to place my groceries or granddaughter in a space where the dog's bare bottom had been. I was expecting the "dog's are cleaner than people" bull defense, but it didn't come. I raised my voice even more to remind him that I could ask him anything I want, that I was not restricted by ADA. The assistant manager was in an uncomfortable position. I reminded him that this wasn't a challenge of ADA rights since the dog wasn't restricted from coming into the store. I confronted the ADA "expert" clarifying that ADA gets his darling dog in the door; it isn't a free pass into a shopping cart.

He didn't have an answer for that. He quietly said to the manager that he would carry the dog "to get him off the hook." That set me off again. I bellowed that the dog belonged on a leash, not in a cart, and that this was not a one time challenge. I made it clear that any time I would see him in the store with a dog in a cart, I would follow right behind him and would very loudly and continuously protest.

The phonies use ADA as weapon to scare proprietors away from challenges. They make a mockery of those with legitimate service animal needs. ADA doesn't apply to passengers adversely affected by the erstwhile service dogs. Time for us to strike back. A dog relieves itself inappropriately on a ship, raise a very loud protest. Do everything you can to focus attention on the defecator. Someone puts little Bootsie on her lap at the dinner table, start yelling, yes yelling, for the maitre d. I think you will find that this will empower others who have had enough. It's time for RCCL and other proprietors to know that pacifying the one is not worth the uproar of the majority.

If making a scene makes you feel better, have at it. Yelling and threatening to stalk someone will end up with you being banned from the store, not the person with the dog.

I have friends that have no or very little sight and have actual guide dogs. They are the people that actually need their dogs since they act as their eyes. They get super pissed over these emotional support animals. It makes people less tolerant of their dogs and one of my friends actually had their guide dog bitten by an “emotional support yorkie”.

Actual service dogs are there to provide some actual service for the owner (guide dog, seizure dog, dogs to assist people in wheelchairs reach things etc). Both the dogs and the owners go through extensive training by professionals. The animals are trained since birth and are picked because of their personalities. Not all dogs have the temperament to be a guide dog. And the owners take very good care of these animals. A service dog would not crap wherever it wanted. They are trained to go in certain areas and to notify their owners when they need to. And if my blind friends can pick up their dogs crap what is this idiots excuse?

If I saw someone like this I would call him out and make him wish he never brought the dog on board. People with genuine need are now being judged because of these losers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I so agree with this!!!! You can tell the difference between a true service dog and a pet.

Yes sir! That's what I'm talking about. I'm with you, man. Call out the idiots on their stupidity.

My son is very allergic to dogs. So would I just have call RCI and ask if any dogs will be on board?

You may want to call special needs and talk to them. I doubt they can guarantee you there won’t be any dogs on board. But possibly ensure your cabins had a deep cleaning etc.

Also they can’t refuse a true service dog. And they can’t ask someone with a true service dog (like a guide dog) to leave an area. So be prepared for that and take allergy medication.

However, if my child was allergic and I ran into an “emotional support dog” I would be pissed and demand that management do something to protect my child.

I have a question. So if someone brings their "emotional support" animal onboard, is there a place they could take the animal to relieve itself? I've never seen an animal on any of my cruises and have never noticed a specific area for animals.

I don't want someones emotional support animal ruining my emotional support cruise. :)

I have a question. So if someone brings their "emotional support" animal onboard, is there a place they could take the animal to relieve itself? I've never seen an animal on any of my cruises and have never noticed a specific area for animals.

I don't want someones emotional support animal ruining my emotional support cruise. :)

I’ve learnt from my friends who have guide dogs and travel with them that most airports etc have places for services dogs to “do the deed”. So I’m guessing ships may have a similar set up. The guide dogs I know are also trained to use those pee pads on command (yes service dogs should be that well trained).

I’ve learnt from my friends who have guide dogs and travel with them that most airports etc have places for services dogs to “do the deed”. So I’m guessing ships may have a similar set up. The guide dogs I know are also trained to use those pee pads on command (yes service dogs should be that well trained).

I remember seeing those pee pads only once in a blue moon somewhere along the outdoor promenade. Now, they're on every cruise.

This emotional support crap is out of control.

On Anthem, there is a box, probably 5 ft by 5 ft, with brown bark mulch or something similar, out on the promenade deck. I have seen that on all three of our Anthem sailings, though I only remember the particular dog and man on two of our sailings. Our first sailing had terrible weather with outdoor decks closed, so not sure what a dog would have done on that sailing while we went around the storm. When we finally were able to walk around outside on the stormy sailing, we saw that box and commented it must have been secured to the deck somehow as it would have blown off otherwise as everything, including Northstar, were strapped down on that sailing.

On Harmony it is on the jogging track, starboard aft, under the stairs that come down the deck above. It is a box filled with wood chips. Not sure if there is more than 1, but that was the one I saw.

I just found the picture I took of it.

baa06bb0fc591e757f14984ffcc772f1.jpg

Edited by A&L_Ont

On Harmony it is on the jogging track, starboard aft, under the stairs that come down the deck above. It is a box filled with wood chips. Not sure if there is more than 1, but that was the one I saw.

Thanks for sharing this pic. It's good that they're accommodating those that have a real use of service animals.

Emotional support animals, hmmm.

Just to clarify a couple of things from past posts here:

JohnReid: If the owner said it was an ESA (emotional support animal), then they have no right to be in a store in the first place. If however, he claimed it was a service animal (legitimately or not), then the owner does have the right to carry the dog. The ADA allows for a service animal to be in two locations: on the floor or in the owner's arms.

Canadianmama3: yes, you can ask that a service animal be removed from a business or location. Since there is no requirement for any level of training for a service animal, there are times when people who have self-trained their service animal (legally allowed) allow their service animal to misbehave (barking, nipping, jumping, pooping) and the business owner is totally within their rights under the ADA to request the animal and owner to leave the premises. The ADA does also allow that service animals can be denied access to locations if the "service dog’s presence fundamentally alter the nature of a service orprogram provided to the public". From the ADA FAQ page:

"For example, at a boarding school, service animals could be restricted from a specific area of a dormitory reserved specifically for students with allergies to dog dander."

• Thanks 1

If making a scene makes you feel better, have at it. Yelling and threatening to stalk someone will end up with you being banned from the store, not the person with the dog.

I rather think that making a scene will force ships and other venues to deal with the problem rather than ignore it. Otherwise, nothing changes and Fido still defecates at Guest Services and Fifi still eats food from the owner at a dining table.

Is your approach just accepting it?

We had that happen quite often on the Grandeur, by some man. He was eventually kicked off the ship and maybe even the cruise line. Maybe he’s back again. The one I’m talking about, mainly sailed on the Grandeur and Explorer, while it was in NJ. I heard they are getting tougher on the requirements of comfort animals. Does anyone know if they charge extra for bringing on a service or comfort animal?

Gwen [emoji3]

a true Service animal cannot be charged. ESAs.. are NOT covered with the same protections as service animals and CAN be charged fees or extra deposits. the slippery slope began when airlines began allowing comfort animals on board in response to complaints and requests by nervous flyers. they used to not charge, but are moving towards doing so across the board to alleviate the cheating by people with just plain pets trying avoid the pet flying fees.

I

I wa unaware that cruise lines actually officially permitted ESAs. or is it a case our more cheating and people are claiming an ESA( or pet) to be a SA? if you are that nervous to sail, maybe you shouldn't pick a cruise for your vacation.....

ESAs are not trained to poop/pee on command. for this reason alone, I think they should be charged extra fees. for situations just like this. ( I am also a proponent of stricter legislation on proving your SA is an actual well trained by a reputable company to perform x service animal)

Older guy with dog in wheeled carrier? Guy took dog on behind the scenes tour of theater. Seen them on Anthem twice.

This sounds exactly like the guy on Anthem 1/19 sailing. His dog pooped on the carpet in a very public area. I didn't stick around to see what happened next, a worker was walking up to him as it happened so I assume it got picked up by the guy or the worker. No doubt some small child was rolling around there not long after.

I love dogs but wow if you are going to bring your dog in public spaces it had better be really well trained.

I also saw a little girl freak out when he rolled by, clearly a big fear of dogs which isn't that unusual.

Yes, that guy.

I rather think that making a scene will force ships and other venues to deal with the problem rather than ignore it. Otherwise, nothing changes and Fido still defecates at Guest Services and Fifi still eats food from the owner at a dining table.

Is your approach just accepting it?

Absolutely not, I think the whole fake emotional support animal craze is out of control, but I am not going to confront someone. I have pointed out animals in shopping carts to store managers before and I would in the future. I just don't feel that making a scene is the right move as you have no idea what the person you are confronting will do.

Never in a million years would I have thought to take a photo of a doggie poop area. I have taken photos of the Eiffel Tower, the Parthenon, Stonehenge, the Old Course, etc. etc. and just never thought to include a photo of a doggie poop box for my travel memories collection. Thank God someone did. :'):'):')

while reading this very thread I had a pop up ad for.......you guessed it...getting your pet registered as an emotional support animal!

The headline for the ad was...Get your pet to fly for free!...all you have to do is send them the name of your animal and the name of the supportee along with the check and they send you the certificate! They go so far as to say that you do NOT need a letter from the Doctor. Simple!

No training needed whatever!....Better call your Congressman!

Doug