A question about FLL

amallison

We're booked on a 5pm flight from FLL after sailing from POM on the Getaway in June. We're trying to decide what to do for the day after we disembark but neither of us have ever been to the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area and have no experience with the airports or cruise ports for that matter.

We've considered a day room and DH decided he didn't want to do that. We've also considered dropping our luggage off at the storage facility at FLL and taking an Uber to a restaurant or something. Another option is to be in one of the last groups to get off of the ship (not sure when the last group usually disembarks from the Getaway), go to the airport and wait until 1pm to check luggage then figure out something to do. DH has totally suggested checking luggage then finding a seat at a bar or restaurant in the airport (I don't think there are many options for this and that'd be a long time to be in an airport).

I would like your thoughts on the things I've mentioned above and I also have one other question. I was reading on another thread that security at FLL won't let you through more than a certain amount of time before your flight, is this true? I've flown out of several other airports and have never encountered this before and am curious.

I've also suggested renting a car which got a resounding nope because he wants to keep this particular day as low cost as possible so, any suggestions are welcome!

I find Fort Lauderdale Airport very boring. I do like Miami.

Once you check in at the airport you can go through security but unlike Miami Airport you have to wait within a few hours of your flight to check in.

I would have rented a car because you'll have a place for your luggage and then you can eventually go for lunch before going to the airport. Maybe you could price it out for your husband and take another run at that.

You'll have to check on the cruise line board to see what is the latest you have to be off the ship.

Keith

You have options:

1. Taxi/Uber/Lyft to South Beach and pay to store your bags at the Luggage Lounge - then you are free to explore South Beach (art deco architecture, people watching, great dining, drinks, beach, etc.) Collect your bags in the afternoon and taxi/Uber/Lyft to FLL

2. http://www.resortpass.com offers day passes to large hotels/resorts - tip them to store your bags while you enjoy their pool, beach and other facilities. Enjoy the resort until the afternoon, collect your bags, and then head to FLL

3. You can pay to store your bags at FLL - no need to wait until 1:00. After getting rid of your bags you can explore Fort Lauderdale - water taxi, Las Olas, etc.

You will not be able to stay on the ship much past about 9-9:30. Sitting at FLL for hours sounds like torture to me. :eek: http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist info.

What airline are you flying?

If flying an airline that uses concourse E-F-G at least the options for eating and walking around a bit is little better than the rest. But FLL is not the airport I would want to spend hours in. Very little amenities compared to airports like MIA or ATL.

Off the ship the latest is probably around 9:30am-10:00am. Usually renting a car is the best thing to do to hold luggage and do as you wish.

What airline are you flying?

If flying an airline that uses concourse E-F-G at least the options for eating and walking around a bit is little better than the rest. But FLL is not the airport I would want to spend hours in. Very little amenities compared to airports like MIA or ATL.

Off the ship the latest is probably around 9:30am-10:00am. Usually renting a car is the best thing to do to hold luggage and do as you wish.

We’re flying Southwest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We’re flying Southwest.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Southwest flies out of terminal 1, concourses A and B at FLL. Check the official website (http://www.broward.org/Airport/Terminals/Terminal1/Pages/Food.aspx) for a list of food and services in that terminal. While concourse A is new and an improvement, there is no way I would want to hang out there for hours! Since you don't want to rent a car, go to the airport and store your luggage at Bags to Go (http://www.bagstogo.net) and then take a cab/uber or the free (on weekends only) sun trolley shuttle airport link (http://www.suntrolley.com) downtown (and return). You have time to take the 1 1/2 hour 11 am cruise on the Carrie B (http://www.carriebcruises.com) or ride around on the water taxi (http://www.watertaxi.com) for a while, stroll Las Olas Blvd. and then have lunch in one of the restaurants along Las Olas Blvd before returning to the airport around 3:30.

No way would I hang out at FLL all day. I would grab an Uber or Taxi at PM and head to South Beach. Drop your bags at the Luggage Lounge and enjoy the day. Head back to the lounge after lunch, then grab an Uber to FLL. Simple and easy way to enjoy the day.

Southwest flies out of terminal 1, concourses A and B at FLL. Check the official website (http://www.broward.org/Airport/Terminals/Terminal1/Pages/Food.aspx) for a list of food and services in that terminal. While concourse A is new and an improvement, there is no way I would want to hang out there for hours! Since you don't want to rent a car, go to the airport and store your luggage at Bags to Go (www.bagstogo.net) and then take a cab/uber or the free (on weekends only) sun trolley shuttle airport link (www.suntrolley.com) downtown (and return). You have time to take the 1 1/2 hour 11 am cruise on the Carrie B (www.carriebcruises.com) or ride around on the water taxi (www.watertaxi.com) for a while, stroll Las Olas Blvd. and then have lunch in one of the restaurants along Las Olas Blvd before returning to the airport around 3:30.

Thank you so much! The Carrie B sounds amazing actually! I think that's the route we're going to take. Like I said, we have no experience with FLL so I wasn't sure what it was like at all!

You can't go wrong with either one. Plenty of places on Las Olas to grab a bite. Pirate Republic is good, too, if you want to try a Brazilian Seafood restaurant - it's a water taxi stop if you decide on the taxi instead of Carrie B. I personally don't like the Carrie B... the captain is rude and drives that boat like a *******. But that's just my personal opinion from experience as a boater in Fort Lauderdale. :)

You can't go wrong with either one. Plenty of places on Las Olas to grab a bite. Pirate Republic is good, too, if you want to try a Brazilian Seafood restaurant - it's a water taxi stop if you decide on the taxi instead of Carrie B. I personally don't like the Carrie B... the captain is rude and drives that boat like a *******. But that's just my personal opinion from experience as a boater in Fort Lauderdale. :)

Wow - we never had that experience. Now we haven't been on the Carrie B yet this year (no visitors until later this month:)) but we've taken an excursion at least once a year for the past few years and had no complaints and it still has excellent TripAdvisor ratings.

Wow - we never had that experience. Now we haven't been on the Carrie B yet this year (no visitors until later this month:)) but we've taken an excursion at least once a year for the past few years and had no complaints and it still has excellent TripAdvisor ratings.

I have no comments about being on the boat... I just had an experience in December, I was out on my boat with my family. Just north of 17th, busy day, I'm following other traffic, it's a slow speed zone, and Carrie B comes barreling through. Gets right off my stern, maybe 25 feet (literally), very, very dangerous, and the captain then makes rude comments towards me on the loudspeaker. It was unbelievable. It was busy with limited maneuverability because of so many boats. I end up getting out of the maniacs way when I had the opportunity, and he purposely speeds up to throw a huge wake like a road raging moron. Outside looking in, you are thinking "BNBR must have been doing something wrong!" - nope. I am hardly a slow boater and I have quite a bit of experience, it was busy weekend afternoon with a LOT of boat traffic just before Christmas, I was right next to the sightseeing catamaran cruising towards 17th and this Carrie B captain was just barreling down on everyone like a maniac. Throws off a wake that hit probably 10 other boats, too. Totally illegal, extremely dangerous, put my family at risk as well as other boaters, etc. Hindsight I wish I had of recorded it and provided to authorities.

I have no comments about being on the boat... I just had an experience in December, I was out on my boat with my family. Just north of 17th, busy day, I'm following other traffic, it's a slow speed zone, and Carrie B comes barreling through. Gets right off my stern, maybe 25 feet (literally), very, very dangerous, and the captain then makes rude comments towards me on the loudspeaker. It was unbelievable. It was busy with limited maneuverability because of so many boats. I end up getting out of the maniacs way when I had the opportunity, and he purposely speeds up to throw a huge wake like a road raging moron. Outside looking in, you are thinking "BNBR must have been doing something wrong!" - nope. I am hardly a slow boater and I have quite a bit of experience, it was busy weekend afternoon with a LOT of boat traffic just before Christmas, I was right next to the sightseeing catamaran cruising towards 17th and this Carrie B captain was just barreling down on everyone like a maniac. Throws off a wake that hit probably 10 other boats, too. Totally illegal, extremely dangerous, put my family at risk as well as other boaters, etc. Hindsight I wish I had of recorded it and provided to authorities.

That's terrible and I'm glad you weren't injured! Even without a recording, couldn't you report it to the Broward Sheriff's Office (I frequently see harbor/marine patrol boats on the intracoastal) and the company?

A couple year back we went to the airport, stored our bags, and then took the free Sun Trolley to the Riverwalk. The free trolley also stopped at other places. For us, it was all that we needed and much better than sitting around the airport. Note: The airport route only operates on Saturday and Sundays.

http://www.suntrolley.com/routes-sch...fares/airport/

Check to see whether your ship has a luggage checking service. You check your bags right through from your cabin door to your home airport! Very convenient. Just make sure you keep a small bag with the things you'll need that night and debarkation morning. You can check that bag at the "bags to go" at FLL and then take the trolley to Las Olas [weekends only] and back. Lots of info at that "sunny" website mentioned above.

Do you have any restaurant recommendations on Las Olas for 2, early 30somethings. We like to eat and drink so we're open to doing a little bar hopping if it's warranted.

Royal Pig, American Social, Big City, there are others too.