Anchorage to Seward question

RD29P5

I've searched called NCL's ground transportation line no help there, kind of clueless phone jockey. Anyway I have read that some of the cruise lines charter the train for the transfer to Seward, and back I suppose for the north bound cruise, does NCL do this or is it a bus ride, anyone know?

I've searched called NCL's ground transportation line no help there, kind of clueless phone jockey. Anyway I have read that some of the cruise lines charter the train for the transfer to Seward, and back I suppose for the north bound cruise, does NCL do this or is it a bus ride, anyone know?

Yes they have a charter train in the afternoon.

I would take the regularly scheduled train as you have time to explore Seward, take a Kenai Fjords tour, go to Exit Glacier, etc. we enjoyed having a chance to explore Seward. My southbound review from 2016 https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2529761

Alaska Railroad LINK:

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

Browse around and enjoy the view.

Alaska RR operates two class of services on the Anchorage Seward trains.

Premium service on the

Gold Star class the big beautiful double decker full length dome cars with inclusive meals and beverages.

Economy service on the

Adventure class with ala carte meals and beverages.

AND YES take the train where possible - it is a great deal more comfortable and scenic than a bus !

Yeah we want to do the train rather than a bus ride, but the early AM train would be tough since we are getting into Anchorage around 2AM. So I was kind of hoping to get a few hours sleep and go down in the afternoon. With any luck I may be able to do a shift trade for my Saturday night graveyard, not looking too good though. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there, won't be my first 24 hour awake day.

Alaska Railroad LINK:

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

Browse around and enjoy the view.

Alaska RR operates two class of services on the Anchorage Seward trains.

Premium service on the

Gold Star class the big beautiful double decker full length dome cars with inclusive meals and beverages.

Economy service on the

Adventure class with ala carte meals and beverages.

AND YES take the train where possible - it is a great deal more comfortable and scenic than a bus !

Gold Star service doe NOT include meals or beverages. The cars do have a dining facility on the lower level, and bar service but it is not included on Gold Star unless it is new for 2018.

Yeah we want to do the train rather than a bus ride, but the early AM train would be tough since we are getting into Anchorage around 2AM. So I was kind of hoping to get a few hours sleep and go down in the afternoon. With any luck I may be able to do a shift trade for my Saturday night graveyard, not looking too good though. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there, won't be my first 24 hour awake day.

The chartered train from Anchorage to the ship typically leaves around noon and arrives at the ship around 5:00 p.m. The north bound trip leaves immediately after debarkation and arrives in Anchorage around 1:00 p.m.

The regular service leaves Anchorage around 6:30 a.m. and arrives in Seward around 11:00 a.m. The north bound scheduled service leaves Seward in the late afternoon and arrives in Anchorage around 9:00 p.m.

We have ridden both the chartered and the scheduled runs and they are both excellent trips. IMO the cars on the scheduled service area bit nicer than the charter cars, but both are nice.

Gold Star service doe NOT include meals or beverages. The cars do have a dining facility on the lower level, and bar service but it is not included on Gold Star unless it is new for 2018.

Note NEW information - - -

From the Alaska RR website LINK:

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/fares

Gold Star service LINK:

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/onboard-experience/goldstar-service

Adventure Class service LINK:

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/onboard-experience/adventure-class

In browsing the Alaska RR site note that Princess and Holland-America have their own

cars attached at the end of the train - The White Wilderness cars between Princess

HAL and the Alaska RR cars are frequently used by NCL for its Land Tour Packages.

If the train costs a bit more it is definitely worth it.

Have traveled Fairbanks to Anchorage - Anchorage to Whittier - Anchorage to Seward

Anchorage to Denali.

We did the train excursion through NCL. It was great. We met the train at the airport. NCL employees were at the airport. They check you in and you are issued your key card for the ship. They took our luggage and loaded it onto a truck where it was driven down to Seward, loaded onto the ship and eventually made it to our room. Upon the train's arrival in Seward it's a very short walk to the ship where you'll pass through security and directly onto the ship. Very relaxing embarkation day. We would do it again.

The cruise train is subject to a certain amount of bookings. On our cruise, the train was cancelled. We booked directly on with Alaska RR on the normal schedule train. Luggage is transferred automatically to the ship in Seward. Great experience and there are busses which meet the train and take you to the ship terminal (We walked). After checking in and stowing our bags, we has plenty of time to disembark and sight see and go to a sled dog exhibit. The ship leaves later (I think 8pm) due to tides.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app