TripIt

GateGuru

SeatGuru

Yelp

TripAdvisor

CruiseCritic

JetSetter

HotelTonight

Hotel apps (Hilton, Marriott, IHG, SPG, Accor, Hyatt)

United Airlines

ITA Matrix (web link)

GoogleFlights

SkyScanner

Hopper

Fleet

AirFareWatchdog

FareCompare

SmartTraveler (US State Dept)

MyTSA

MobilePassport (backup to GE)

Maplets

GoogleMaps

GoogleTranslate

mTripsGuides

LonelyPlanetGuides

SpeedTest

Rome2Rio

IExit

Curb

Execucar

Xfinity hotspots

InrixTraffic

AAA

All Medical records apps (e.g., MyChart, FollowMyHealth, Anthem, CVS, etc.)

various location apps (NOLA Guide, Sydney Culture Walks, Visit London, Disneyland, etc.)

Converter+

various A/V apps (e.g., SiriusXM, AppleMusic, XfinityStream, Netflix, PrimeVideo, HBO Go, et al.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

TripIt

GateGuru

SeatGuru

Yelp

TripAdvisor

CruiseCritic

JetSetter

HotelTonight

Hotel apps (Hilton, Marriott, IHG, SPG, Accor, Hyatt)

United Airlines

ITA Matrix (web link)

GoogleFlights

SkyScanner

Hopper

Fleet

AirFareWatchdog

FareCompare

SmartTraveler (US State Dept)

MyTSA

MobilePassport (backup to GE)

Maplets

GoogleMaps

GoogleTranslate

mTripsGuides

LonelyPlanetGuides

SpeedTest

Rome2Rio

IExit

Curb

Execucar

Xfinity hotspots

InrixTraffic

AAA

All Medical records apps (e.g., MyChart, FollowMyHealth, Anthem, CVS, etc.)

various location apps (NOLA Guide, Sydney Culture Walks, Visit London, Disneyland, etc.)

Converter+

various A/V apps (e.g., SiriusXM, AppleMusic, XfinityStream, Netflix, PrimeVideo, HBO Go, et al.)

Just a few, then! :D I’ll have to check some of these out. I love TripIt, SeatGuru and Ship Mate.

In a related issue lets add cell phone providers. As very independent travelers (land and sea) we had long been frustrated with our inability to be online when traveling. For us this was vital in terms of using our phone for GPS (we rent a lot of cars), accessing family, apps (many mentioned here) etc. For years we were ATT folks and had no love of that carrier when outside the USA. Then a crew member on HAL turned us on to T-Mobile and it has been an amazing game changer. As seniors (in their case that is just 55) we get 2 lines for $60/month which includes all taxes. But that is just the beginning because T-Moble works in about 140 countries without any additional roaming or daily fees (like Verizon). Also we get unlimited data (in all those countries) and unlimited text. Phone calls cost about 20 cents a min in some countries.

But having unlimited data is huge. If we had Verizon and spent a month in Europe we would have to pay an extra $300 just for coverage. With T-Mobile we pay zero! So consider that having all the wonderful travel apps here is great....but you generally need cell access to use them!

Our days of looking around Europe and Asia for WiFi are over since we just use cells.

Hank

I don't know if I would could Google Maps or Uber since I use those so frequently but definitely those 2, and TripIt. TripIt for when we travel because it holds all of my information, important numbers, etc. Mobile Passport, The Hub (Carnival), TripAdvisor, Southwest

In a related issue lets add cell phone providers. As very independent travelers (land and sea) we had long been frustrated with our inability to be online when traveling. For us this was vital in terms of using our phone for GPS (we rent a lot of cars), accessing family, apps (many mentioned here) etc. For years we were ATT folks and had no love of that carrier when outside the USA. Then a crew member on HAL turned us on to T-Mobile and it has been an amazing game changer. As seniors (in their case that is just 55) we get 2 lines for $60/month which includes all taxes. But that is just the beginning because T-Moble works in about 140 countries without any additional roaming or daily fees (like Verizon). Also we get unlimited data (in all those countries) and unlimited text. Phone calls cost about 20 cents a min in some countries.

But having unlimited data is huge. If we had Verizon and spent a month in Europe we would have to pay an extra $300 just for coverage. With T-Mobile we pay zero! So consider that having all the wonderful travel apps here is great....but you generally need cell access to use them!

Our days of looking around Europe and Asia for WiFi are over since we just use cells.

Hank

I'm so glad you posted this. Switched to T-Mobile a couple months ago, partially because of the over 55 plan and partially because I had heard they had unlimited data overseas.It makes me really happy to hear from someone that is using it and that it actually does work.

I'm so glad you posted this. Switched to T-Mobile a couple months ago, partially because of the over 55 plan and partially because I had heard they had unlimited data overseas.It makes me really happy to hear from someone that is using it and that it actually does work.

It can be a bit hit and miss. When we were on the Faroe Islands we had 5 bars! But in Iceland it failed us in some places because apparently there are some contractual issues between Deutche Telekom (the mother of T-Mobile) and some local providers. On the continent we have never had any problems except that you might only get 3G (fast enough for most things). We noticed that T Mobile now has an option for an extra $10 a month (which you can do on a month by month basis) that is supposed to guarantee you LTE (if available). In Russia we always had LTE. We have also noticed there is no coverage in parts of the South Pacific. But the first time you cruise or land in some weird places and you quickly get a text saying that "T-Mobile welcomes you to timbuktu.....its a nice feeling.

Hank

I want to put another plug in for this Tmobile program. $60 for those over 55 offering unlimited data overseas. We had no problem except when visiting remote islands in the Pacific, but that was disclosed on the website. This TMobile plan helped us slash our cell fees and increased our data to unlimited.

I use Google Maps for offline maps. Works great !

Of course google maps is terrific as well. But the value of maplets is that they include special interest maps (downloadable from a vast library) such as bike maps, transit maps, walking tours, etc. and if they don't have what you want, you can request that they try to get it for their library. BTW, the app is free.

Downloaded maplet for Hyde Park (we'll be staying close to there) so see how it worked. Very detailed. Think I also saw one for Underground. Need to spend more time with it but I really appreciate the recommendation, think it's going to be very helpful.

I want to put another plug in for this Tmobile program. $60 for those over 55 offering unlimited data overseas. We had no problem except when visiting remote islands in the Pacific, but that was disclosed on the website. This TMobile plan helped us slash our cell fees and increased our data to unlimited.

We've often considered the T-Mobile deal because of travel. But, other things keep us tied to AT&T since our bigger picture makes the AT&T international roaming package charges rather insignificant.

Our Audi Q5 uses "AT&T connect" (discounted as add-on to existing service); we live on a point in SF Bay with terrible cell service (any provider) and AT&T has provided us with a no cost "microcell"; previously with work and now for play we crisscross the Pacific and AT&T partners (e.g., Vodaphone) dominate the coverage; many of the hotels we frequent (e.g., Hilton) use AT&T for their internet service (thus, we can sign on at no charge) and (the "big one") we have a legacy service discount that keeps our base price low.

Bottom line will still find T-Mobile an excellent deal. But, every traveler really needs to look at the complete picture of their communications needs and priorities and consider what you do/don't get for your money.

Downloaded maplet for Hyde Park (we'll be staying close to there) so see how it worked. Very detailed. Think I also saw one for Underground. Need to spend more time with it but I really appreciate the recommendation, think it's going to be very helpful.

Forgot to add that some of the maps do have an online GPS location capability.

Of course google maps is terrific as well. But the value of maplets is that they include special interest maps (downloadable from a vast library) such as bike maps, transit maps, walking tours, etc. and if they don't have what you want, you can request that they try to get it for their library. BTW, the app is free.

That sounds great. I'll have to try out Maplets. Thanks !

-- Don