Elite breakfast with non-Elite family members?

swoonx

No, not over thinking it. The rules say it is for Elite passengers, thus anyone who asks to bring non-Elites guests are asking for something they are not entitled to. I guess in some folks' way of thinking, every Elite passenger should be able to bring guests or is it just for the entitled.

Agree. No matter the function.

We cruise in suites with Luminae and butler service also as breakfast options.

Each cruise, however, we will choose to have one or two Elite breakfasts...As a light start to the day with a Bellini to start with, a nice coffee during and that wonderful wake view (S class) on sea days we still see it as an enjoyable perk! I don’t think the Elite Breakfast is trying to offer what the MDR, Oceanview or even room service is offering it is just adding to your cruising choices....

The focus of all staff members should be to make the cruising experience of all passengers as pleasant as possible...I don’t see how allowing a first time cruiser to enjoy an Elite breakfast can be an issue unless it is an exceptionally busy venue that cruise.

On a similar ‘entitled/not entitled note’....On two different cruises we have overheard fellow suite guests trying to arrange someone (non suite) to access Michael’s.....

On the first occasion the couple explained to the concierge that they had arranged for their son and daughter in law to dine with them in Luminae that evening and would it be possible for them all to enjoy a pre dinner drink just for that evening in Michael’s so their family could experience. On the second occasion a couple were asking why their friends could not join them every night in Michael’s as they had the premium drinks package anyway....I don’t think you need three guesses to work out the positive and negative responses!

In terms of sales perspectives from Celebrity it is good for newish guests to see what loyalty offers and for standard room guests to get a ‘taste’ of the suite life!

No one wants to see Elite guest perks or suite guest perks being reduced by unlimited control but a little flexibility can add so much to a cruise experience.....

No one wants to see Elite guest perks or suite guest perks being reduced by unlimited control but a little flexibility can add so much to a cruise experience.....

I guess my question is, where do they draw the line? If they allow X to bring in his guests, then shouldn't they allow Y to do the same? Would it be wrong to say no to the OP, but allow someone else to bring in their guests?

I guess my question is, where do they draw the line? If they allow X to bring in his guests, then shouldn't they allow Y to do the same? Would it be wrong to say no to the OP, but allow someone else to bring in their guests?

I guess this is where you need to rely on the professionalism of the crew....

• Thanks 1

In this particular situation the OP might follow the suggestion made by Celebrity to others: Simply put a non Elite with an Elite in two different cabins and switch cabins as desired. That is a scam to me, but it would follow the rules. The OP simply wants to be honest and ask for permission to bring her parents to Elite Breakfast. I'm guessing that this question has been asked before and that the Host or Hostess has said "yes" to some and " I'd like to do that, but I can't" to others. There are times when it makes good business sense to grant a request. I would most certainly say "yes" in this case if the Elite breakfast was uncrowded. Celebrity, or the ship has in the past designated some as VIPs to get around the rules. In this limited case I trust the process.

I think even asking in a nice way puts them in an awkward position. They may do it because they possibly don't want to disappoint a passenger or, IMHO, they are afraid of getting a bad report because they say no. Just go where a non-Elite person can go and don't ask for favores which puts the employee in a awkward position.

I agree. Asking a service person to bend policy puts them in an awkward position and demonstrates a lack of empathy and understanding for their role. The rules are the rules for everyone.

There is lots of room at the buffet or dining room for all to enjoy a meal together.

Some CC hosts will never break rules as gossip happens and it has come back to bite them . Not even fair to ask. Many cruisers have friends or family onboard who would like to take them to a function. I would not even ask.

This is exactly why I would never allow it if I were a host. If someone had been told "no" and then found out an exception had been made for the people at the next table, you'd have a lot of tap dancing to do. The rules are there to keep the staff from having to be put in the situation of making such a judgment call. That's why it is awkward to ask them to deviate. And of course you'll inevitably hear "well, on my last cruise, they let me!"

We often go to the Elite breakfast because we honestly do not care that much about breakfast :). For us, the main draw is that its not crowded, the views out the aft windows of the Tuscan are nice (we are mostly on S-Class ships), and its a relaxing time. If I am in the mood for a real breakfast we either go to Blu (when in Aqua), the MDR...or as a last resort the Lido. The breakfast selection in the Lido is amazing and the quality pretty good, but we hate the crowds and finding a table. On the S-Class ships we will often take our Lido breakfast out to one of the tables near the pool.

Hank

I am Zenith and have access to Michael's Club. My friends who are Elite+ do not have access unless in a Suite. I usually ask the MCC if I can bring them in one time and the answer is usually "yes". One time I was told that I could bring them back. On that cruise MC was hardly used. If they say "no" I respond with a "thank you" and don't bring up the topic again. Ask the Host/Hostess and see what they say. Enjoy your cruise.

I suspect Zenith level, as well as high end Suite booked passengers might very well have much better luck getting staff to say yes, wouldn't you say? I usually sail AQ class because I'd rather sail twice there than once in a suite. But last year we splurged on a Sky Suite. I was truthfully uncomfortable at times with the way that the staff kept trying so hard to please me. Having cruised X so many times (36 at last count) it felt kind of weird to be treated so differently. But of course I suppose I could get used to the suite life:)

Oct 2017 on Equinox.

We have been on some cruises with the small plates and others with the buffet table, all have been in the Caribbean. It depends mostly on how many elites are on board, have also heard the health inspector, port it left from, carpet, to eliminate waste and etc.

Thanks for your response... Ironically, I spent a week aboard Equinox--also in the Caribbean--beginning on 2 December and the Elite Continental Breakfast was, at least for that sailing apparently, back to plated service... As noted in my earlier post, I've periodically read reports here of a return to buffet service at the breakfast but that hasn't been my personal experience since April 2013; that's nine Celebrity cruises--five in the Caribbean; four in Europe--ago!

Several Hotel Directors, Food & Beverage Directors, and Captain's Club Hostesses have explained the CDC [specifically, carpet] and/or minimization of food waste angles as the basis for the service change but I've never been told that the number of potential attendees is a rationale--it weakens the others and, as a bonus, they sound better--for the differentiation... I think you've nailed it; I'll keep watching!

In this particular situation the OP might follow the suggestion made by Celebrity to others: Simply put a non Elite with an Elite in two different cabins and switch cabins as desired. That is a scam to me, but it would follow the rules. The OP simply wants to be honest and ask for permission to bring her parents to Elite Breakfast. I'm guessing that this question has been asked before and that the Host or Hostess has said "yes" to some and " I'd like to do that, but I can't" to others. There are times when it makes good business sense to grant a request. I would most certainly say "yes" in this case if the Elite breakfast was uncrowded. Celebrity, or the ship has in the past designated some as VIPs to get around the rules. In this limited case I trust the process.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Once on board, everyone goes to Guest Services to switch their cards to the correct spouse cabin.

Also all credit card - on board charges - can be charged to the person of choice during the checkin process.

While one may think this is bending the rules, as a booking agent suggested this to me years ago, I feel okay with working within the system

Thanks everyone for your feedback and sorry for the late reply (was busy the last day).

Elite breakfast is a mini buffet reserved for Elite guests. There are places they can have breakfast together as many others in this situation do..

Yes of course. I just don't like the crowded buffet, always a nightmare to find a table. While I like MDR for dinner, my breakfast experiences are not too good - too slow/closing too early/things are missing.

Just was looking for possible alternatives. And I understand both argumentations. On one hand it would be nice if family members of loyalty members could join, on the other hand it's not quite fair :)

Switch you reservations so that one elite person is booked in each room. Then all 4 of you can attend without any problems.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Once on board, everyone goes to Guest Services to switch their cards to the correct spouse cabin.

Did not know that switching is so easy. Thought about something similar because my DW and I also have a beverage package for the upcoming cruise while her parents have not. So we have two possibilities to get free drinks in the evening while they have none.

But I would expect that a (promotion) beverage package also switches to the other person if you officially switch the room? (Also I would expect that non-loyality members lose their temporary status they just had because of their roommate.)

(And probably too late for this cruise, just checked in two days ago.)

Thanks everyone for your feedback and sorry for the late reply (was busy the last day).

Yes of course. I just don't like the crowded buffet, always a nightmare to find a table. While I like MDR for dinner, my breakfast experiences are not too good - too slow/closing too early/things are missing.

Just was looking for possible alternatives. And I understand both argumentations. On one hand it would be nice if family members of loyalty members could join, on the other hand it's not quite fair :)

I do not believe the Elite breakfast is an alternative for non elite friends. It is for members that have earned the right to be there. If everyone starts bringing in friends the whole event is downgraded. You should be looking at the oceanview. mdr, or aqua spa. I would never put the Captains Club Host

awkward position by asking if I could bring non elite passengers in.

I do not believe the Elite breakfast is an alternative for non elite friends. It is for members that have earned the right to be there. If everyone starts bringing in friends the whole event is downgraded. You should be looking at the oceanview. mdr, or aqua spa. I would never put the Captains Club Host

awkward position by asking if I could bring non elite passengers in.

A polite request such as the OP could make probably pales into insignificance compared to some of the demands made to the Captain's Club Host by some entitled Captain's Club members!

Phil

A polite request such as the OP could make probably pales into insignificance compared to some of the demands made to the Captain's Club Host by some entitled Captain's Club members!

Phil

I once heard a Royal Caribbean Pinnacle, or at least that's what he said, demand that he be seated at the Captain's Table with the Captain. He threaten to get the CC Host fired if he refused. I suggested to the fairly new Host that he call the GRM and explain the situation. I was at the table, the Pinnacle was not and the CC Host was on the cruise the next time I boarded the ship. You are right Phil.

Do your parents even want to go to this breakfast? We recently went on a cruise with my sister and brother-in-law and it was their first time cruising. They split their meals between the MDR and the buffet because they thought the food was so good at each one. They were amazed at the variety and quality. I think they would have been really disappointed if we'd hauled them off to an Elite breakfast for a coffee and a croissant. Okay, there may be more to it than that, but I've heard it's basically a continental breakfast. Not too exciting for gluten free people anyway.

For a very quiet, non-crowded breakfast, try room service! If your cabins are adjacent to your parents, you could have your steward open the veranda partition and dine al fresco together just 2/3 a partition apart!

IDK if they joined you in your cabin or vice versa that you could order all four meals to be delivered to just the one room, but that could be an option for you

If you were in suites or AQ cabins, you'd be able to have breakfast in Luminae or Blu- that would take you away from the crowded OV. I also think that the MDR could work well for you & your parents.

I believe you are over-thinking it. I also believe that some of the "no" replies here are more to do with someone getting something they aren’t entiltled to. How dare they!

Phil

I concur.

I wonder if those opposed to it who mention rules have ever driven 1 mph over the speed limit? :confused:

We've had non suite guests join us in MC and on a bridge tour for suite guests only (The MC concierge made it all possible). We've had non Elites join us for breakfast too. It's all a non issue on board.

For those waiting to become Elite, don't get too excited by the Elite breakfast though. It's pleasant enough but nothing exciting.

• 9 months later...

on a cruise with two friends my wife and I were in a suite on the first of a back-to-back. Michael's Club hostess was a very nice woman, and on the second leg when we were only in an aqua cabin, she invited us to enjoy Michael's Club. That was without our suggesting or even hinting that we would like to use it. We felt a bit awkward knowing that this was something we were not really entitled to, so we only took advantage one time when four or six friends were gathering.

The nicest thing about the elite breakfast is that it is not crowded usually and on the Solstice class, it looks  aft, over the wake.

20 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Well, sometimes it's very crowded -- on the Reflection transatlantic, there were so many in attendance that they had to open the nearly specialty restaurant for the overflow.

LOL.  On a Transatlantic, best not to ask to bring non-Elites into morning breakfast.  If we don't have the beverage package, we would go there after breakfast for a couple of bloody marys.