Upsell

cruisencrazy

I believe if upsells are available you will get an email or if you booked through a TA they will and then contact you. If it was happening, in my experience, you would have received notice by now. You can (or your TA can) call directly and ask. The have an office just devoted to upsells. I've been told by HAL that the crunch time for folks considering cancelling is the weekend before, so with 10 days out if you start calling now you might score an opening not through general upsell program but through a sudden opening. It's worked for me several times and they don't seem to mind you calling every day.

Bruce

There really isn't a way to "put yourself on the radar" for an upsell. Upsells are HALs way of maximizing revenue. HAL will offer an upsell in a lower category to entice you to spend more money and free up a lower price cabin they can resell. HAL has an entire department dedicated to figuring how the best rooms and prices to offer as upsells. Perhaps the only thing might work is to book a cabin that is priced just below the next higher category, ie, a very expensive outside priced just below a balcony.

We just received an upsell offer, our first, a couple of weeks ago. We booked an SB Neptune suite and were offered a Pinnacle suite for only $1649 PP. We paid $1699 for the SB and, while we thought about it, we've never been in a Pinnacle, we decided to pass.

BTW, we did call HAL about the offer. We learned a couple of things.

1. It is fruitless to try to bargain with HAL. The people you talk to have no authority to entertain any offers. It's take it or leave it.

2. If few people take the offer, the Upsell department may either lower the price or let the ship sail with empty cabins.

3. Typically, if HAL decides to lower the price, they will probably wait several days.

How do you put yourself on HAL's radar to receive an upsell? We are not overjoyed (to put it mildly) with our current cabin situation. Our ship sails Feb 25.

1 888-628-8107

Phone number directly to the paid upgrade department. I call them all the time to check if there's anything available because sometimes I've been told that I was should have gotten an email and I never got it.

They seem to be ok with the calls

1 888-628-8107

Phone number directly to the paid upgrade department. I call them all the time to check if there's anything available because sometimes I've been told that I was should have gotten an email and I never got it.

They seem to be ok with the calls[/quote

Can you do this even if you are booked through a travel agency?

1 888-628-8107

They seem to be ok with the calls[/quote

Can you do this even if you are booked through a travel agency?

Let me add this: The paid upgrade department you can call is not the same as the Revenue Department that determines the price of upsells. The Paid Upgrade Department was very nice when we called. They told me they were instructed to be very nice to callers and to answer all their questions.

WRT Travel Agents. Our booking was through a travel agent who forwarded the upsell email to us. The Paid Upgrade department had no issues with talking directly to us on an information basis. However, they were quite clear that they could not modify our booking, if we wanted to accept the upsell, we would have to do so through our agent.

Bottom Line: Call them, they're very nice.

Sorry I didn't see the part about the travel agent I always book directly with them so I can call myself. It might be worth calling and asking if there would be any availability and then your travel agent could call not sure if they'll give you that information

I’m sailing on the 25th as well and had a terrible cabin. I booked through HAL and I contacted again when I got cold feet and they had a cancellation and we were upgraded for $70 each up one Sig Suite category. She had to get permission from her supervisor.

When I booked originally (very late booking) I was asked if I wanted to be notified of any complentary upgrades and I said yes which gave me the idea to just call and ask.

So...I would recommend calling the direct HAL number and just asking even though you used a TA. They might say no, but they might say yes. I’d call every day. Call your TA, too.

I’d think about how much you would want to pay to switch. The $70 was so easy to say yes to, but if it were $300 I’d want to think about it.

I’m so relieved to be in a better stateroom. Best of luck to you and if you aren’t able to move then I’m sure you’ll still have a wonderful cruise.

We have taken over 35 cruises and I would say that about ¾ of those have been guarantee cabins. We are not very picky, depending on the destination. Well, fast forward to this sailing and we received an awful cabin right above the Queen's Lounge. I have sleep issues as of late and I'm very anxious about this location. I am even thinking about forfeting what was paid and not going at all if I can't figure out a way to get a different cabin. Or...I will give it a go and just get off and fly home if it doesn't work out. My travel agent is not being helpful in my opinion. We are 3 star on Holland and will probably not make it to 4. Already booked with Windstar for our next trip; not in a guarantee cabin.

Edited by cruisencrazy
typo

There really isn't a way to "put yourself on the radar" for an upsell. Upsells are HALs way of maximizing revenue. HAL will offer an upsell in a lower category to entice you to spend more money and free up a lower price cabin they can resell. HAL has an entire department dedicated to figuring how the best rooms and prices to offer as upsells. Perhaps the only thing might work is to book a cabin that is priced just below the next higher category, ie, a very expensive outside priced just below a balcony.

We just received an upsell offer, our first, a couple of weeks ago. We booked an SB Neptune suite and were offered a Pinnacle suite for only $1649 PP. We paid $1699 for the SB and, while we thought about it, we've never been in a Pinnacle, we decided to pass.

BTW, we did call HAL about the offer. We learned a couple of things.

1. It is fruitless to try to bargain with HAL. The people you talk to have no authority to entertain any offers. It's take it or leave it.

2. If few people take the offer, the Upsell department may either lower the price or let the ship sail with empty cabins.

3. Typically, if HAL decides to lower the price, they will probably wait several days.

I do my upsells via my TA. I did negotiate one upsell successfully to a price that I thought was more fair.

so, HAL will negotiate on occasion. My TA at the time thought I had good reason and supported it and went back to HAL.

They came so close to my price, I couldn't say no ;) Well, I could have but....:'):halo:

I noticed that 2 posters here mentioned that they are unhappy with their cabins.

Why did you people book those cabins in the first place?

No need to be rude or try and stir up a negative conversation. The poster simply asked how they would go about getting an upsell and everyone answered their question politely. There are ways to try and Achieve what they were looking for and if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out but there is no harm in trying

No need to be rude or try and stir up a negative conversation. The poster simply asked how they would go about getting an upsell and everyone answered their question politely. There are ways to try and Achieve what they were looking for and if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out but there is no harm in trying
i too agree on the sarcastic rudeness...no one is perfect i believe

I don't think KK was being rude or sarcastic. I think she didn't realize that the posters who didn't like their cabin had booked guarantees and was genuinely curious as to why they booked cabins they didn't like. At least, that's how I interpreted her post. I choose to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I took it as curiosity too -- it doesn't make sense to get a cabin you don't want... but there are a few times when this has happened for me.

On my first cruise, it didn't occur to me that one location would be better than another (outside of having a a preference for a balcony/window/inside cabin). Then the next cruise I knew I wanted a balcony, but I didn't know to look at the deck plans above and below me to avoid the noisy spots.

Of course, this is in the 'olden' days where there weren't easy ways to do your research and be educated by others who have "been-there-done-that". Now, the only time I book a room I don't want, is if I love the itinerary and the price is incredible (usually when its non-refundable just like the OP). Then I HOPE for an up-sell (which I've only read about but never received), or an upgrade from HAL (frequently). Each cruise, I learn a little more about my own preferences and get a little fussier. :rolleyes: I may have to start booking early too!

I don't think KK was being rude or sarcastic. I think she didn't realize that the posters who didn't like their cabin had booked guarantees and was genuinely curious as to why they booked cabins they didn't like. At least, that's how I interpreted her post. I choose to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I think it was the choice of the words "you people". The inference is condescending in nature.

I think it was the choice of the words "you people". The inference is condescending in nature.

I thought it was just because they were two separate posters and they didn't want to address them by their user names or write a longer sentence ;p Now if someone referred to me and my husband as YOU PEOPLE, then. :mad:

Hahahaha. Nice to hear you got that offer, even if you turned it down. Gives me hope that one might come my way.

I received an upsell today... 30 days out. $349/pp from a Signature Suite to a Neptune. I booked through a PCC and not a TA.

Congratulations! ENJOY! How long is your cruise? We are booked in a SS for 7 day sailing to Alaska. I am trying to determine what my price point is for an upsell should one occur. I booked through a PCC.

Update. Was able to change my cabin. Same category with a much better location. I didn't receive an upsell, but that is ok. I was just concerned about noise being over the Queen's Lounge. That will no longer be a problem. I have for sure learned my lesson. No more guarantee bookings.

Update. Was able to change my cabin. Same category with a much better location. I didn't receive an upsell, but that is ok. I was just concerned about noise being over the Queen's Lounge. That will no longer be a problem. I have for sure learned my lesson. No more guarantee bookings.

GREAT update! Have a wonderful cruise!! Did your TA have to make the change or did you call direct?