Platinum dining

coevan

We booked this cruise a few weeks ago as we had to cancel a January 12 trans canal on the Miracle. The Carnival agent asked for our dinner request and we said YTD. Looking over my reservation my dining time YTD wait listed. I called CCL and told them

I was Platinum and dining preferences are guaranteed. On the CCL website under VIFP perks it clearly says priority MDR reservations. Customer service would not yield and told me to see the Maitre'd when we boarded. I was not happy. What's next 2 free laundries instead of 3. How do I get a hold of John Heald?

We booked this cruise a few weeks ago as we had to cancel a January 12 trans canal on the Miracle. The Carnival agent asked for our dinner request and we said YTD. Looking over my reservation my dining time YTD wait listed. I called CCL and told them

I was Platinum and dining preferences are guaranteed. On the CCL website under VIFP perks it clearly says priority MDR reservations. Customer service would not yield and told me to see the Maitre'd when we boarded. I was not happy. What's next 2 free laundries instead of 3. How do I get a hold of John Heald?

LOL, are you dining with John?

no, I would just like some clarity. Seriously 2 more people who eat between 8:30 and 9 when there is less than half a full dining room. Customer service insisted they had no way to change it as we booked late and YTD was sold out, whatever that means.

There's a difference between "priority" and "guaranteed." MDR times are guaranteed only for Diamonds.

We've been Platinums for many years and before we started doing only YTD, if we booked late and were waitlisted with an unwanted set dinner time, DH went to the Maitre'D upon embarkation and always got the seating time we wanted. Never had to slip him any money either - I assume you were joking about the $20.

somewhat, we met some new friends, they had late we had YTD. They wanted to eat with us. We went to the YTD dining room at 8:30, it was wide open. The Maitre'd told our friends that YTD was booked. Unbeknownst to me my friend did slip the Maitre'd a $20 and magically a new YTD spot opened up.

Priority means they might consider it but often it means nothing.

It means if there are openings for waitlisted cruisers, then they will get preference before FTTF and everyone else. Every time I have been waitlisted, I eventually got cleared. Not saying it will be that way in this case or in the future, but you do get first dibs. Now if there are multiple Platinums, I'm not sure what the process is in that case. First come first served?

I have been waitlisted the last two cruises for YTD at first but it was granted. Last summer I wanted late dinner but was given early, asked to change and was waitlisted, again granted after a couple of weeks. Many times I have been waitlisted for my choice and always got it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

no, I would just like some clarity. Seriously 2 more people who eat between 8:30 and 9 when there is less than half a full dining room. Customer service insisted they had no way to change it as we booked late and YTD was sold out, whatever that means.

They'll fix it on board.;)

There is so many spots per dining and when the slots are full there are full. I have been waitlisted as Platinum and gotten Early as requested. I am on the Vista next, booked 5 months out, Early is full and I could have been waitlisted to Late or take YTD. In each situation, I was solo so yes, full means full. Platinum are only offered Priority not guaranteed seating.

When platinum was the highest loyalty level, dining preference was guaranteed. When Diamond level was added, they were guaranteed, but platinum slipped to Priority. EM

This. It now means nothing and went the way with the platinum member only tour of kitchen.

I found this out the hard way when I wanted reservations in the steak house for day a few days away and was told “ we are all full”.

We have always gotten the time we want in mdr but then again , we usually book like 9 months in advance too.

We were waitlisted for YTD once and when we got to port, found they had put us in late dining. We went to the maitre d when his station opened and asked if there was anything else. We still couldn't get YTD, but he was able to put us in early dining, which was more to our liking. This was before we became platinum and no extra money was exchanged.

Like others have said, platinum gets priority, not guaranteed dining time.

And, are you sure you're not just stirring the pot, coevan? I think you've cruised much more than I have.

Anyway, I think you'll be fine. Don't sweat the small stuff. And remember, it's all small stuff.

99.9% certain you will get what you asked for....Lots of juggling happens a few days before and during embarkation day. I have always, in my 12 prior Carnival cruises, been able to get the dining time i requested even if not listed properly on paperwork.

You may want to email the Maitre'D the week before your cruise and politely explain your situation and how much you would appreciate being seated in YTD. Although it was for a 2 top table request in a specific area, I did it for my last cruise and I got the table I was looking for.

This. It now means nothing and went the way with the platinum member only tour of kitchen.

I found this out the hard way when I wanted reservations in the steak house for day a few days away and was told “ we are all full”.

We have always gotten the time we want in mdr but then again , we usually book like 9 months in advance too.

Platinum MDR requests get priority if the waitlist opens. Diamond are guaranteed.

With the Steakhouse, I pre-booked a reservation early in the cruise, 3rd night, was so pleased with the new Steakhouse menu that I attempted to book another time on the last night of the cruise and was denied, even as a Diamond. However, the VIFP flyer left in my room stated "Diamond Guaranteed Specialty Restaurant Reservations" (must have been an old flyer). I brought that back to the Steakhouse the next night, was denied, and then presented my claim to Guest Services. Denied again, I asked for the GS Supervisor, who actually read the VIFP flyer and told me she would look into my matter.

All of a sudden, that evening, I get numerous phone calls about cancelled reservations, would I like to come a half hour earlier than I asked for, and would I be willing to accept a complimentary bottle of wine (nope, don't drink).

It turned into an excellent meal, thoroughly enjoyable.

Two points to consider, since Diamond level is guaranteed their MDR request, I am sure that a number of spots are held open until very close to or at sailing so as not to remove anyone from a dining time that has been assigned so a Diamond can get their requested time. And although Steakhouse reservations used to say guaranteed for Diamond (they now say priority) I was told years ago that that meant nothing. They would not remove someone's Steakhouse reservation, and they shouldn;t, to slot in a Diamond cruiser.