Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

"Cruisers shall inherit the Danube".

The Danube has risen and more than after last week's rain.

The outbreak of Vikingitis in Straubing has been cured, the Lif and Var that have been stuck there for many a day are able to move, they both made it through the Danube shallows and are currently passing Deggendorf towards Passau, no other ships insight.

The cruise lines will now have to get their boats in position to take advantage of this wet window.

So for all your cruisers visiting a Christmas Market don't forget for every glühwein you have you will be helping a fellow cruiser (downstream) who may be high and dry.

It's always nice to type good news for a change, you lot are lucky, for me Christmas is already over with dear MiL coming. Please do not cry for me as watered down glühwein doesn't taste that good.

Edited by G.M.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, G.M.T. said:

🎄"Cruisers shall inherit the Danube".

The Danube has risen and more than after last week's rain.

The outbreak of Vikingitis in Straubing has been cured, the Lif and Var that have been stuck there for many a day are able to move, they both made it through the Danube shallows and are currently passing Deggendorf towards Passau, no other ships insight.

The cruise lines will now have to get their boats in position to take advantage of this wet window.

So for all your cruisers visiting a Christmas Market don't forget for every glühwein you have you will be helping a fellow cruiser (downstream) who may be high and dry.

It's always nice to type good news for a change, you lot are lucky, for me Christmas is already over with dear MiL coming. Please do not cry for me as watered down glühwein doesn't taste that good.

WONDERFUL NEWS ON A MONDAY MORNING!!🎄❄️

• Like 1

18 hours ago, steverhodes said:

We actually hope we will be bussed from Vienna to Budapest since that adds an addition day in Vienna. 

Understand that! We headed to Vienna to board the boat while others were spending a night in a at the Kempinski in Budapest. Drizzle and temps in the upper 30s in Vienna today; still a bit of snow on the ground in places. Thought I was finally going to get to visit Vienna and not have it rain, but I guess I had to keep my streak going. :classic_wink: Still managed to walk 3 miles today. 

• Like 1

Currently on River Beatrice, embarked 12/1 in Vienna as scheduled, berthed next to empty Maria Theresa (their passengers in Budapest?), sailed 11PM 12/2, stopped in Durnstein and are cruising the Wachau past Melk. Cruise director confident we will make it to Nuremburg in a few days. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, AWD Cruiser said:

Currently on River Beatrice, embarked 12/1 in Vienna as scheduled, berthed next to empty Maria Theresa (their passengers in Budapest?), sailed 11PM 12/2, stopped in Durnstein and are cruising the Wachau past Melk. Cruise director confident we will make it to Nuremburg in a few days. 

Hooray! 

39 minutes ago, AWD Cruiser said:

We boarded the Maria Theresa yesterday at about 2 PM, but yes, the other passengers are in Budapest (actually, by now they are on the bus and due to arrive here in Vienna within the next hour or so.) We saw their luggage arrive awhile ago. We decided to skip what would have been our 4th night in Budapest and had a private driver take us to Vienna instead. We toured on our own today and just had terrific massages. Can't complain!

We did get a tour of the Beatrice yesterday. The decor is much different from that of her big sister! Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

The Viking Lif and Var have sailed past Passau now on their way to Linz or beyond.

Hardly any ships have made use of this opportunity, the Verdi has left Regensburg towards Straubing.

One small river in the Bavarian Forest has a warning of high water levels with possible flooding. Is this the end of the drought?

I have been faithfully monitoring this thread since September as we were scheduled to go on a Viking Romantic Danube Waltz cruise Budapest to Passau on Nov. 14 to 21, and certainly appreciate all the information and comments from all of you.  I would like to share my experience.

As the others have observed, Viking's Customer Relations did not handle this situation well.  The person I talked to did not deal straight with me; replies to my questions were evasive; for example when I asked about the position of the ship at the time I called, the answer was she did not know and I need to talk to the ship myself.  When we arrived in Prague (for an independent tour), I called Viking Vilhjalm and was told to call Bragi (docked in Budapest) where we will spend the night before proceeding on a bus trip to Vienna.  But when I called Bragi, the officer disclaimed knowledge of our arrival; it certainly seemed like  a lack of  coordination between the ships.

Finally, we embarked on Bragi, did the morning Budapest tour, and proceeded by bus to Vienna (after a tasteless lunch, another disappointment) to embark on Vilhjalm.  Another bus ride to Bratislava and thankfully, Vilhjalm was able to proceed with the rest of the cruise up to Passau.  

We were offered future cruise credit corresponding to 25% of the amount we paid.  However, given the way Viking has been dodgy about the whole scenario, I can't see cruising with them in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chabby101 said:

I have been faithfully monitoring this thread since September as we were scheduled to go on a Viking Romantic Danube Waltz cruise Budapest to Passau on Nov. 14 to 21, and certainly appreciate all the information and comments from all of you.  I would like to share my experience.

As the others have observed, Viking's Customer Relations did not handle this situation well.  The person I talked to did not deal straight with me; replies to my questions were evasive; for example when I asked about the position of the ship at the time I called, the answer was she did not know and I need to talk to the ship myself.  When we arrived in Prague (for an independent tour), I called Viking Vilhjalm and was told to call Bragi (docked in Budapest) where we will spend the night before proceeding on a bus trip to Vienna.  But when I called Bragi, the officer disclaimed knowledge of our arrival; it certainly seemed like  a lack of  coordination between the ships.

Finally, we embarked on Bragi, did the morning Budapest tour, and proceeded by bus to Vienna (after a tasteless lunch, another disappointment) to embark on Vilhjalm.  Another bus ride to Bratislava and thankfully, Vilhjalm was able to proceed with the rest of the cruise up to Passau.  

We were offered future cruise credit corresponding to 25% of the amount we paid.  However, given the way Viking has been dodgy about the whole scenario, I can't see cruising with them in the future.

We are scheduled to embark Budapest on the Viking Atla this coming Sunday. This is our first river cruise. I have tried to appreciate the cruise lines' side of this unfortunate situation and the financial hit they are taking. It can't be easy and I'm sure the crews are suffering too. And since the situation changes day to day, I can understand their reluctance to say too much too soon. However, all the cruise lines, with the possible exception of the very small and the very expensive, seem to be equally guilty of either not providing information or providing false information--information that we are able to research and see right through. They are apparently not worried about a loss of new customers because they are sold out a year in advance.

Personally I can't understand their reluctance to manage customer expectations better, especially within the 30-day window when a cancellation is total loss. The Viking river cruise web site is rather disingenuous, stating "We always want our guests to feel that they have the most current information about their journey, so we will continue to directly contact all guests on itineraries affected by residual low water conditions until levels return to normal." But they haven't done much contacting of guests. Two weeks out we received an email saying that we probably would have to be bussed from Passau to Regensburg. There was no mention of the Budapest-Vienna leg. They also refer you to the myvikingjourney web site, which says absolutely nothing helpful. 

I notice that there are now 5 available staterooms on our voyage, at half the original price. It was full when we booked it. I wish we could figure out how to get that reduction! Future cruise credits just don't do it for us. 

I am really grateful for the information on this forum since I would not have known anything about the problem until a week ago if it weren't for initially stumbling upon it on Facebook and then following along here. At least we can be mentally prepared as well as changing how we pack for the situation of having to unpack/repack several times. 

• Like 2

I personally wish that the rain would hold off until after everyone has cruised this season (after New Years). I feel sorry for those on the rivers right now who are touring in rain.

Or, if it has to rain, rain only at night.

Edited by Coral

Poured the whole night, today is stormy with heavy rain showers. With the forecasted rain (almost daily) the cruising season which is due to end early January will go out on a wave.

Still not much traffic between Passau and Regensburg, only AmaLegro taking the waters on it's way upstream. The Danube shallows, Straubing and Pfelling have almost doubled their water levels.

What with the warm weather and now all this rain, I might have to mow the lawn, or better still I'll wait until Christmas when the dear MiL is due, I could then put her out to graze. Although I think the sheep and goats would object. People worry about climate change, about war, but when dear MiL comes I get both on the same day.

I must say the current cruisers are certainly a very wet bunch, I'm sure that the consumed glühwein has helped.

A word of advice, for those who are cruising or will be cruising this season check your insurance policies to see if high water and floods are covered.

Rappersmom and Chabby101;

I certainly wish you both  excellent cruises with great service and food on board and great excursions - all in a safe and consistent levels of service.

As I note upthread, Viking can't control the river.  But I agree with both of your assessments that information flow from Viking is lacking. 

On our cruise we had one couple that was "reacommodated" by Viking on our cruise.  The couple told us (and others) that their cruise was cancelled by Viking.  Our cruise was "sold out" for over 16 months.  So I can't quite figure out what goes on.

Be that as it may, I think the general marketing approach of Viking (both Ocean and River) is setting high expectations and appeal to repeat customers (for example, buy discounts for future cruises on board etc...).

And since there are repeat customers and many new ones wanting to get on their first Viking cruise, those of of us that have negative experiences or real problems on a cruise that Viking can address - in my experience, to date - are ignored/dismissed with token offers.  Why? Because there are many more waiting in line to cruise with Viking.

Again, wish you the best on your cruises.

We are are on the Viking Jarl, left Nuremberg on Sunday. Regensberg today. Rain all along the river. Right now it looks like we might make it all the way to Budapest. Markets are lovely, all you need is a raincoat and umbrella. 

Edited by Lggva

The viking egil is the first viking heavy that has sailed from Nuremberg to Passau in several months. Changes are in the wind.  Theoretically, Nuremberg to somewhere past Bratislava should be possible to sail.  Practically, its a matter of ship positioning and local conditions.  Watching jarl and egil, we'll see.

The three viking "hotel" ships in Budapest have yet to move.  

It will certainly be an "adventure"

Viking continues to keep their information and plans closely guarded, and shares little.  Partly due to their "silo" structure.   Ops are run from Basel, CH.  Notoriously information stingy. The travel bureaus are stuck talking with frustrated customers, and they don't have all the info.   Add to that, the front line customer service folks are their to sell more tickets, you have to go up several levels to get any meaningful info. 

But, they already have our money, and because of their beautiful commercials and mailers, more keeps flowing in... Not likely to change anytime soon 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I personally wish that the rain would hold off until after everyone has cruised this season (after New Years). I feel sorry for those on the rivers right now who are touring in rain.

Or, if it has to rain, rain only at night.

We have been pretty fortunate so far, but the weather is certainly actin schizophrenic! It was cold and rainy yesterday here in Vienna and today it's mostly sunny with temps around 55. Crazy!

1 hour ago, Homerody said:

G.M.T.

Keep these reports - and MIL lines coming!

BTW - I am sure you are familiar with the MIL headstone in the Merry Cemetery in Romania.      

When I type MiL it has two meanings, relation (wife of DW) and heavy burden (millstone around my neck).

Thank you for the tip abount Romania, when dear MiL come at Christmas I can wish her "Merry Cemetary".

33 minutes ago, wabamun said:

So, this is ironic. We were just told that it has rained so much the Danube is rising too high. Low bridges ahead. The Scenic Jasper has to leave Regensburg early and we will meet it in Straubing after our excursions. 

Ask which low bridges.

The only low bridge is the suspension bridge in Passau. The water level has to be 630 cm or higher to impacted cruises.