Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Hello all. I have been lurking this board for a couple weeks and really want to say "thanks" to all those who have contributed and thus helped keep my anxiety in check. We are currently on board SS Beatrice in Nuremberg, and there appear to be about 6 or 7 other ships currently berthed here on the canal. We boarded yesterday afternoon (after 3 nights in Munich on our own) for a Christmas Markets cruise, December 8-15, and we will be ending in Vienna. As far as I can tell, the cruise is back to it's anticipated itinerary. Tomorrow the ship passages the Main-Danube canal while we visit Nuremberg and they put us back on the ship late afternoon. (Vienna to Budapest was never part of our itinerary, so can't say anything about that portion of the river.) Rain is forecast tomorrow again, hopefully keeping water levels acceptable for the rest of the Christmas season. We had very nice weather in Munich for 3 days earlier this week, with partial sun and highs near 52 F. Happy sailing, and a round of Glühwein for all!!

As the Danube levels are now almost back to normal so it is time for me to seek pastures new, like glühwein testing, developing an anti MiL serum and other mundane things. Also this thread will soon be put on ice, maybe dear MiL could also go the same way.

I will still be around, if someone wants information about Passau or the surrounding area just ask, waiting for the next high and low water marks – as we surely know that will happen.

In the words of Douglas MacArthur and dear MiL last Christmas

„I will return“

46 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

As the Danube levels are now almost back to normal so it is time for me to seek pastures new, like glühwein testing, developing an anti MiL serum and other mundane things. Also this thread will soon be put on ice, maybe dear MiL could also go the same way.

I will still be around, if someone wants information about Passau or the surrounding area just ask, waiting for the next high and low water marks – as we surely know that will happen.

In the words of Douglas MacArthur and dear MiL last Christmas

„I will return“

G.M.T.

I will seek out your future posts -  for your sense of humor and MIL lines!

BTW - the Passau stop on our recent river cruise - was my favorite in Germany.  It is a lovey place to explore!  A lunch of Weisswurst, pretzels and "unfiltered" beer in town, was delectable!!! 

18 hours ago, Homerody said:

G.M.T.

I will seek out your future posts -  for your sense of humor and MIL lines!

BTW - the Passau stop on our recent river cruise - was my favorite in Germany.  It is a lovey place to explore!  A lunch of Weisswurst, pretzels and "unfiltered" beer in town, was delectable!!! 

Same here! We had been to Passau in the past, but thoroughly enjoyed our recent visit. Definitely a special place!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bisabella said:

What happened to all the posts on this topic?  I am hoping that there is no longer an issue with the low Danube River levels, but I would like to hear more stories about how the boats are getting through.

We did the Danube from Budapest to Nuremberg last week, arriving in Nuremberg Saturday. We sailed straight through. The only problem was a couple  of backups with the locks (between Passau and Regensburg, one of the two locks wasn't working because they hadn't been used in several months). The ship handled delays a couple of times by starting our tours a little early. The ship would continue to sail while we toured and we would meet it later upstream. On the final day of sailing the captain was prepared for lock backups but again we sailed straight through and met our target arrival time. All in all very smooth and the cruise line (Viking) handled it all very well.

According to the low water website the Pfelling river gauge has fallen below the first low water mark (just slightly). So we might expect problems if that continues.

I just read a report from last week on a German board. They had no problems getting through but a lock in Hungary was broken and caused a delay.

I think the second lock at Regensburg is broken for years now.

steamboats

I tried and tried to log on when in Europe, but was unsuccessful.

Our cruise on Ama went without a hitch. We boarded on Dec. 7, and sailed all the way to Nuremberg.  The highlights of the trip were Czesky Krumlov and the Thurn and Taxis Market in Regensburg.

The weather alternated between rain and snow for us. It didn't stop anything, we just bundled up and grabbed our umbrellas.

For everyone still embarking the ships, have a fantastic time! 

Post trip report.  Viking Danube Nuremberg to Budapest - Dec 9-16.   Sailed all the way through.   Traffic control in Hungary required us to leave Vienna a bit early, in order to arrive in Budapest on time.   Viking personnel stated that this was the first time since June that the Atla had sailed end-to-end.    They also expressed concern that this season might be a harbinger of future seasons, for both the Rhine and upper Danube.

On AMA Sonata. Have had dramatic drop in river levels once heavy rains stopped.Was to embark in Nuremberg on Dec 16 but ship stayed at Regensberg. We were bussed to there. Then next day river fell again and ship left early evening to Visholm to stay night. Itinerary for ship moorings will now same all the way to Vienna. We were all well taken care of and bussed to any excursions we had. No complaints at all- just reporting on river levels for all of you.

Merry Christmas!

Just came back from the Danube cruise on Amadeus Silver II. We sailed from Vienna on Dec 10 to Regensberg on Dec 16. No problems with water level at all. But the ship could not proceed to Nuremberg. Passengers proceeded with the excursion to Nuremberg on buses and came back to the ship docked in Regensberg just in time for the captain's farewell dinner. This beautiful ship, the scrumptious meals and friendly crew made the cruise memorable.

Why couldn´t the ship proceed to Nuremberg? As soon as you are in Regensburg there´s no obstruction / low water to prevent you from going on. Nuremberg is on the Canal which has no water level problems. The Canal starts at Kelheim shortly upriver from Regensburg.

steamboats

PS: It´s raining all over Bavaria

Just returned home, after spending additional time in Vienna, from Christmas Market cruise on Danube. We had a wonderful time. Can’t wait to do it again.  Merry Christmas everyone. 

Edited by quesam

13 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Heavy rain is forcast for the next 48 hours.

Flood warnings have been issued for several Danube tributaries.

Merry Christmas everyone.

13 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Heavy rain is forcast for the next 48 hours.

Flood warnings have been issued for several Danube tributaries.

Merry Christmas everyone.

we are on SS Beatrice (happily)...Captain just announced we would depart Nuremberg 6 pm instead of 2 am because of heavy rain and flooding...we’ll be on our way to Regensberg soon. Merry Christmas 🥂🎄🎄🎄

G.M.T. and steamboats,

Thank you for all your reports from Bavaria and general help for all our fellow river cruise enthusiasts.

To you - and of course extending the wishes to the community - Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

notamermaid

P.S.: Not sure when I will get round to it. If anyone is eager to start a thread on the Danube before I have done - there is no escaping that happening :classic_smile::classic_wink: if you do not get there before me - please feel free to do so.

• Like 1