Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

We were originally sailing from Nuremburg to Vienna on 12/1. We started on 12/1 in Passau but our ship will cruise to Budapest today and Bratislava tomorrow and then back to Vienna to disembark. We have been incredibly lucky with the weather - there has been some rain while cruising and driving but very rarely during our actual excursions. Feeling very fortunate that things have worked out so well. 

The Danube levels have fallen somewhat, but they seem to be leveling out at a higher level than before the recent rains. Don't worry there is still enough water for your ships to get through the Danube shallows, also more rain is due this weekend.

Oh for the good old days, 20 cm snow and minus 10°C, that is the weather to really enjoy a Christmas Market.

Tonight, we're off to Passau Christmas Market, must not forget the Crucifix, garlic and the full vampire kit in case we come across dear MiL.

All you cruisers have a great time, either onboard or at a Christmas market.

image.png.bc7fa448f55aadff8f24a38088653933.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rappersmom said:

Since the Atla, which is supposed to be in Budapest Sunday, is now heading to Nuremberg, and the Jarl vice versa, maybe we are switching ships. It really doesn't matter to me, I just would like to know. Also I noted that one of the 3 hotel ships in Budapest, the Hermod, is now on the move north toward Vienna. Maybe it's a test run. At any rate, it's good to see movement. 

we are supposedly sailing on Viking Gullveig (8th December) from Budapest but looks like its stuck in Amsterdam, not getting any information from Viking so we may have to resort to boarding all Viking boats in Budapest to see which one we are on

2 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

The Danube levels have fallen somewhat, but they seem to be leveling out at a higher level than before the recent rains. Don't worry there is still enough water for your ships to get through the Danube shallows, also more rain is due this weekend.

Oh for the good old days, 20 cm snow and minus 10°C, that is the weather to really enjoy a Christmas Market.

Tonight, we're off to Passau Christmas Market, must not forget the Crucifix, garlic and the full vampire kit in case we come across dear MiL.

All you cruisers have a great time, either onboard or at a Christmas market.

image.png.bc7fa448f55aadff8f24a38088653933.png

Please keep that rain in the forecast 'til we board 22 Dec and head from Nuremberg to Budapest!!  I see some snow in Munich for our arrival 13 Dec, too!  We're inching closer!!

We're on the SS Maria Theresa and left Vienna last night after several days there. We had one day with temps in the mid-50s but it's generally been much colder. Some periodic drizzle but nothing major. We visited Gottweig Abbey and Krems (lovely old town!) this morning and enjoyed both very much. Now we are cruising the Wachau Valley on our way to Melk for the evening. So far the cruise has been incredible. The staff, food, excursions, etc. have been every bit as good as every Uniworld cruise we've been on in the past and the boat still looks brand new. Now if I could just figure a way to bring this bed home with me! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seahags said:

Please keep that rain in the forecast 'til we board 22 Dec and head from Nuremberg to Budapest!!  I see some snow in Munich for our arrival 13 Dec, too!  We're inching closer!!

No snow in my forecast for next Thursday... but that´s longterm... Should by freezing cold next week and some snow on Monday and Tuesday. Actually I don´t need any snow on Thursday... Have to head out to the airport for a surgery (yes, there´s a small private hospital).

steamboats

26 minutes ago, steamboats said:

No snow in my forecast for next Thursday... but that´s longterm... Should by freezing cold next week and some snow on Monday and Tuesday. Actually I don´t need any snow on Thursday... Have to head out to the airport for a surgery (yes, there´s a small private hospital).

steamboats

Hope all goes well and you are fit and happy in time for Christmas.

notamermaid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

All the best.

Do you know if they do "remove dear MiL"?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

Good thoughts for you Thursday!  Hope all goes well.

• Like 1

Well. With the Jarl currently in Vienna, viking has finally come to the conclusion that we all saw days ago - the atla will be taking its place in Nuremberg on the 9th. 

They did note, subject to their usual caveats, they should be sailing uninterrupted from Nuremberg to Budapest.

1 hour ago, Jcat2010 said:

Well. With the Jarl currently in Vienna, viking has finally come to the conclusion that we all saw days ago - the atla will be taking its place in Nuremberg on the 9th. 

They did note, subject to their usual caveats, they should be sailing uninterrupted from Nuremberg to Budapest.

And those who were on the Atla will now be on the Jarl. I assume there’s method to the madness. 

We're currently in Nuremberg after cancelling our river cruise last week and going with our Plan B. This morning walking to the bahnhof we saw two tour buses with Avalon signs in the front window.  Hopefully all's well and the cruises are just that, river cruises.  Happy travels.

18 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Same switch we had in July

The Atla was stuck on the Budapest end and the Jarl Nuremberg. We are cruising into Budapest this morning on the Jarl on an uninterrupted trip from Nuremberg. We were prepared to change if we had to, but it was smooth sailing all the way. Viking did a great job and I love their staff!

Jarl and Atla are sister ships so there is no real difference. 

Edited by Lggva
  • Like 1

We arrived in Nuremberg yesterday for our cruise leaving Sunday on MS Savor to Vienna. MS Savor in now docking at the port area.  Viking Alta is coming into the port while SS Beatrice, Avalon Expression and Artistry II are already docked.  Looks like these ships have made it through.  Here’s hoping to a successful cruise for all. 

On 12/5/2018 at 5:41 PM, camping mom said:

Update on AMAWATERWAYS Website:

Update (December 4th, 2018): We are very happy to report that with the recent rainfall in Europe, the water levels on the Rhine and Danube have risen dramatically over the past few days. We anticipate returning to scheduled itineraries for all cruises embarking December 7th onward*. 

Heart-felt thanks to all our travel partners and guests for their patience and understanding and our remarkable onboard crews who continued throughout this period of low water to deliver an exceptional vacation experience for our guests.

Disappointing to read this today, as it certainly hasn’t applied to us.  Today was our last day on AmaLea, we’re on the Dec 2-9 that was supposed to be Budapest to Nuremberg.  While Lea was able to get to Budapest and we were able to board last Sunday, she wasn’t able to get out - we were stuck there 3 days.  The schedule has been a hot mess all week, sometimes changing multiple times in 1 day!  

We ended up getting out Wed but sailed 24 hrs straight to get to Vienna, we basically lost a full day onboard.  Had a good day in Vienna Thursday and opted for the night visit to the markets.  We’ll that was another hot mess as we were taken back to the same market to see it lit at night, but it closed at 9:30 and we were not picked up to return to the ship until 10:30.  It started raining and it was really cold and we had to find a pub to hang out in until the pick-up time.

Friday was a full day tour to Salzburg - 3 hr ride each way!  The day was cold but sunny and we enjoyed our time there.  We had been before but got to see things we didn’t previously.  Today was a full day in Regensburg which we really enjoyed.  Lea only made it as far as Passau so we had to fully disembark there for our tour to Regensburg and then bussed to Nuremberg where we are being put up at the Hilton.  It’s basic to say the least, pretty dated.  The group that booked post tour to Prague are put up at Meridian which is a lot nicer and closer to town.  For us it’s a 15 Euro taxi each way.

The week certainly didn’t turn out as expected, and we didn’t get to towns on our itinerary.  We understand the impacts of low water, but it seemed Ama should’ve been more proactive and upfront about it with us.  I have to say though that the crew was fantastic all week.  A shout out to Milos in the dining room who served us so well, and Milana and Marina who kept our glasses full, along with so many others.  

We will now await to see what Ama’s official response to us within the next 30 days will be, and what, if any, compensation will be provided for the significant impacts to our cruise.  I’ll provide an update when I get it.

1 hour ago, Deval said:

Disappointing to read this today, as it certainly hasn’t applied to us.  Today was our last day on AmaLea, we’re on the Dec 2-9 that was supposed to be Budapest to Nuremberg.  While Lea was able to get to Budapest and we were able to board last Sunday, she wasn’t able to get out - we were stuck there 3 days.  The schedule has been a hot mess all week, sometimes changing multiple times in 1 day!  

We ended up getting out Wed but sailed 24 hrs straight to get to Vienna, we basically lost a full day onboard.  Had a good day in Vienna Thursday and opted for the night visit to the markets.  We’ll that was another hot mess as we were taken back to the same market to see it lit at night, but it closed at 9:30 and we were not picked up to return to the ship until 10:30.  It started raining and it was really cold and we had to find a pub to hang out in until the pick-up time.

Friday was a full day tour to Salzburg - 3 hr ride each way!  The day was cold but sunny and we enjoyed our time there.  We had been before but got to see things we didn’t previously.  Today was a full day in Regensburg which we really enjoyed.  Lea only made it as far as Passau so we had to fully disembark there for our tour to Regensburg and then bussed to Nuremberg where we are being put up at the Hilton.  It’s basic to say the least, pretty dated.  The group that booked post tour to Prague are put up at Meridian which is a lot nicer and closer to town.  For us it’s a 15 Euro taxi each way.

The week certainly didn’t turn out as expected, and we didn’t get to towns on our itinerary.  We understand the impacts of low water, but it seemed Ama should’ve been more proactive and upfront about it with us.  I have to say though that the crew was fantastic all week.  A shout out to Milos in the dining room who served us so well, and Milana and Marina who kept our glasses full, along with so many others.  

We will now await to see what Ama’s official response to us within the next 30 days will be, and what, if any, compensation will be provided for the significant impacts to our cruise.  I’ll provide an update when I get it.

So sorry to hear about your disappointing trip.  It seems that now the rivers are somewhat higher, but the distance between Vienna and Budapest seems to have been one of the last to be passable.  I know that we've seen posts on here of those that were bussed from Budapest to Vienna where they began their journey.  Does the AmaLea have a particularly deep draft? or there maybe weren't alternative ships for you?  At any rate, glad you were able to enjoy portions of the trip and sure hope that you have a lovely time in Prague!!