Involuntary Downgrade Nightmare-Please Advise

h20luv

The the OP are you on the March 4th sailing?

If so tell them you want to be moved to Category D5 Cabin 12172. It's a larger cabin and larger balcony then you had.......plus tell them you still want want to keep the $ 200 OBC for the problem by not being next to the rest of your family.

Also what category Cabin did they switch you to? If it's a D5 you could switch to the cabin I listed above just by a simple phone call from your travel agent......you can switch all day back and forth into the same category you want whenever you want.

What category did you have and what category did they switch you to?

Have your agent call ASAP

Jimbo

Edited by Jimbo

Would you be willing to have your mom change cabins too so that you could be closer together? Maybe they could upgrade someone else to move your mom next to you. The problem is that the ship looks to be sold out, which means they can’t give you a cabin they don’t have without moving someone else. It’s just an unfortunate luck of the draw I’m afraid. They do need to refund you that price difference though.

The the OP are you on the March 4th sailing?

If so tell them you want to be moved to Category D5 Cabin 12172. It's a larger cabin and larger balcony then you had.......plus tell them you still want want to keep the $ 200 OBC for the problem by not being next to the rest of your family.

Have your agent call ASAP

Jimbo

You are so kind! I am actually on this Sunday's sailing 2-25, and the ship I think is sold out. My TA said she will try calling every day but that my situation is already flagged and escalated. Do you know what that means?

Would you be willing to have your mom change cabins too so that you could be closer together? Maybe they could upgrade someone else to move your mom next to you. The problem is that the ship looks to be sold out, which means they can’t give you a cabin they don’t have without moving someone else. It’s just an unfortunate luck of the draw I’m afraid. They do need to refund you that price difference though.

I'm actually treating my mom and we are in the same cabin. We will be separated from her brother and sister-in-law. Her brothers and their wives love to go on cruises, and they are so happy that their sister is finally joining them. I have no anger and look forward to being with my mom and my aunts and uncles, but I am really very sad and disappointed that this is how the week before the cruise is being spent.

You are so kind! I am actually on this Sunday's sailing 2-25, and the ship I think is sold out. My TA said she will try calling every day but that my situation is already flagged and escalated. Do you know what that means?

Then it's going to be really tough, since that sailing is sold out...........can you switch sailing dates ? make sure you check flight prices though before suggesting this.........Not sure if you are driving or flying to the port. If Southwest Flights.....you can change the date of your flights for free, just pay the additional as to what the new flight costs, no $ 100 chnage fees like most airlines.

situation is already flagged and escalated.....just means they are trying to help you and have you on their radar......but nothing they can really do at this point as far as moving inless someone cancels or doesn't show up to board.......might even mean, not changing your cabin until the second day of the cruise when things become clearer once everyone has boarded, but thats a hassle too changing cabins and moving all your stuff.

Then it's going to be really tough, since that sailing is sold out...........can you switch sailing dates ? make sure you check flight prices though before suggesting this.........Not sure if you are driving or flying to the port. If Southwest Flights.....you can change the date of your flights for free, just pay the additional as to what the new flight costs, no $ 100 chnage fees like most airlines.

situation is already flagged and escalated.....just means they are trying to help you and have you on their radar......but nothing they can really do at this point as far as moving inless someone cancels or doesn't show up to board.......might even mean, not changing your cabin until the second day of the cruise when things become clearer once everyone has boarded, but thats a hassle too changing cabins and moving all your stuff.

I'll let you know what happens. We can't switch sailings. We are coming in from Iowa and Texas meeting up with 5 family members in Florida. Thank you again for sharing what you know.

Hoping things work out for you....maybe a cabin will open up either before sailing or day of.... I know it stinks, but maybe take the 200 onboard credit and treat your mom and relatives to a nice dinner at a "specialty" restaurant and enjoy being together for a "special" treat.

Enjoy your cruise and congrat's on your successful surgery.

Keep us posted as to the outcome and your mom's first cruise experience. Hope you all have a FABULOUS time!!

Good idea about the JS but not sure where you got the idea that they knew the cabin needed to be fixed 7 months ago. That’s when the OP booked. They were just informed 10 days ago that the cabin was out of service. Timeline seems reasonable to me.

Sorry, misread the OP's post.

Tell me this what deck is the rest of the family on( how many cabins) and what deck did they move you and your mother to?

Jimbo:)

Mom and I were in a large balcony D2 on hump 6592 and Aunt & Uncle 3 cabins down. Other Aunt and Uncle higher up on 11. We are downgraded to a D4 across from Johnny Rockets. At least its on the same side and floor as family. 3 sailings Oct-January 2019 show a 550-628 price difference in cabin category. I am easy to move on and get over things quickly, but I just don't understand how not refunding the difference is acceptable business practice. Is this normal? My only other cruise was on Independence of the Sea in the Mediterranean. We had such a fabulous experience. Does this happen a lot?

Wouldn't it be "interesting" if the OP boarded the ship on cruise day and settled into their newly assigned cabin, then later on, walked up to their originally-assigned cabin (6592), knocked on the door, and discovered that there was another family in there? And then even if "empty", found on subsequent visits during the week that there was no evidence or presence of any workman, maintenance, or repairs being performed by anyone in that cabin. Hmmm??

Edited by pingpong1
amplification

Mom and I were in a large balcony D2 on hump 6592 and Aunt & Uncle 3 cabins down. Other Aunt and Uncle higher up on 11. We are downgraded to a D4 across from Johnny Rockets. At least its on the same side and floor as family. 3 sailings Oct-January 2019 show a 550-628 price difference in cabin category. I am easy to move on and get over things quickly, but I just don't understand how not refunding the difference is acceptable business practice. Is this normal? My only other cruise was on Independence of the Sea in the Mediterranean. We had such a fabulous experience. Does this happen a lot?

If comparing prices, you would have to check the exact last week of February in 2019 to get a fair judgment in prices compared to yours now.....Prices greatly differ by month.

If this is your Mother's first time on a cruise ship you might be greatful for being toward the back more, we find that more forward cabins past the midway point really feel more of the swaying. As far as the cabin and balcony, cabin is exactly the same, the balcony is just a tad larger, really not that much.

Wouldn't it be "interesting" if the OP boarded the ship on cruise day and settled into their newly assigned cabin, then later on, walked up to their originally-assigned cabin (6592), knocked on the door, and discovered that there was another family in there? And then even if "empty", found on subsequent visits during the week that there was no evidence or presence of any workman, maintenance, or repairs being performed by anyone in that cabin. Hmmm??

You are exactly right, I sure as heck would be knocking on that door a FEW times during the week to just see what is going on in there..........If I see other passengers in there be sure to go to the Customer Service desk asap.........This way they can make a note of it, get names and times to so when you get back home, that is if they don't fully compensate you MORE for moving you, you have something to fall back on for when you get back home. YOU will be compensated MORE I'm sure.

At least its on the same side and floor as family. 3 sailings Oct-January 2019 show a 550-628 price difference in cabin category. I am easy to move on and get over things quickly, but I just don't understand how not refunding the difference is acceptable business practice. Is this normal?

No, it's not normal, but, in looking at a more realistic comparison, the 2/24/19 sailing of Oasis has only about $90pp diff between a 2C and a 4D cabin. It could be that at the time of booking the diff was similar and the $200 OBC you got is the best you'll get. You would have to somehow find what the D4 cabin was going for at the time you booked to see what you are really owed.

No, it's not normal, but, in looking at a more realistic comparison, the 2/24/19 sailing of Oasis has only about $90pp diff between a 2C and a 4D cabin. It could be that at the time of booking the diff was similar and the $200 OBC you got is the best you'll get. You would have to somehow find what the D4 cabin was going for at the time you booked to see what you are really owed.

Thank you for trying to help, but on xxxxxx.com the cabin on 2/24/19 is $2726 and the cabin I was downgraded to costs 2225.90. Where did you find the $180 difference?

If comparing prices, you would have to check the exact last week of February in 2019 to get a fair judgment in prices compared to yours now.....Prices greatly differ by month.

If this is your Mother's first time on a cruise ship you might be greatful for being toward the back more, we find that more forward cabins past the midway point really feel more of the swaying. As far as the cabin and balcony, cabin is exactly the same, the balcony is just a tad larger, really not that much.

You are exactly right, I sure as heck would be knocking on that door a FEW times during the week to just see what is going on in there..........If I see other passengers in there be sure to go to the Customer Service desk asap.........This way they can make a note of it, get names and times to so when you get back home, that is if they don't fully compensate you MORE for moving you, you have something to fall back on for when you get back home. YOU will be compensated MORE I'm sure.

First why knock several times and harass someone...it was Royal's fault, not the new passenger (if there is a new passenger).

Second, could there be also an issue of moving 2 people from a 4 people capacity cabin? That has happened to a friend before and they discovered it on embarkation day. They came out very happy. Everything was done on board to make their cruise very memorable. No over and above OBC was given, but the crew on board did everything within their power to make up for it and she was not even complaining!

OP I wish you the best of luck in resolving the problem.

First why knock several times and harass someone...it was Royal's fault, not the new passenger (if there is a new passenger).

I think he means to make sure there is no one in there so don't give up after one knock. He doesn't mean to harass anyone.

I would do the same, unless the obc was satisfactory.

Second, could there be also an issue of moving 2 people from a 4 people capacity cabin? That has happened to a friend before and they discovered it on embarkation day. They came out very happy. Everything was done on board to make their cruise very memorable. No over and above OBC was given, but the crew on board did everything within their power to make up for it and she was not even complaining!

OP I wish you the best of luck in resolving the problem.

Thank you so much.

Hello,

I am hoping to get advice from you experienced folks. Only 10 days from sailing on the Oasis I was informed that our cabin with large balcony on bump booked near family 7 months ago was needing a repair and we were involuntary downgraded placed far from family in a small balcony cabin.

Even though the large balcony cabin costed us hundreds more per person than the smaller one, RC only put $100pp ($200) obc on the account. The downgraded cabin price difference is clear online for future bookings as well. I don't understand how Royal Caribbean can charge for a higher priced product/ cabin type, replace it with a lesser price product but not reimburse the difference.

The TA made many calls through escalated channels (which I don't know what escalated means because there was no help). I messaged through Facebook and received the same response that it was escalated to corporate but 200 obc was it for the inconvenience of the move to "keep us safe".

I was told I could try standing in line in customer service once on the ship, but after reading forum posts on the customer service lines on Oasis, I think it would be a nightmare to spend vacation this way. I feel really taken advantage of and all of my cruise prep time and joy is gone.

The cruise is a gift to my mom for helping me so much this year after my brain tumor surgery..this is her very first cruise and only my second. I really want this problem to be fixed before Sunday's sailing so we can enjoy our time together. This has turned into a disappointing nightmare. Does anyone know what escalated really means and why wouldn't a price adjustment plus significant obc be given? Thank you to anyone who can help or who has had a similar experience.

RCI service is bad..... But THIS bad? :confused:

Arzeena - Not quite sure why anyone would infer an intent to "harass" anyone? The OP would merely be "gathering data" or information to support a further dialog with RCI. If you knock on the door, and no one answers.....no harm, no foul. No one has been "harassed". If you knock on the door again, and someone (a guest) answers, then you have your facts and no need to return. If a workman answers the door, then you also have substantiated RCI claim that the room needed repair. I also like SRdancer's idea about a phone call to the room. Either way, the OP is "gathering data" in a very low key way. Regards.

If one is going to determine what the price difference was - it should be from the time the OP booked it, not the date that RC changed it. RC has had the OP's money from the original booking (at least part of it) And while I can understand sometimes they cannot help something going wrong with a cabin - they should at least explain how they came up with the OBC and provide a token for the trouble caused. Are you part of the Roll Call? it may help to ask if anyone else is in the same situation or if anyone has that cabin booked now.

If you call the cabin the name of the occupant shows up on your phone. If the cabin is vacant, there will not be a name.

I'd go the phone route (or speak with that area's cabin attendant "so what's wrong with the cabin?") rather than knocking on doors.

I wouldn’t waste one second playing detective on vacation with the room. Just keep going after the company to compensate you fairly for the downgrade. Keep ALL correspondence with you. I can’t believe the company suggested you hash it out with guest services onboard, they will do nothing for you except refer you to call corporate. I wouldn’t want someone knocking my door or calling me to gather info about my room to bolster their fight, I’d be creeped out

Here is an idea, send your original booking and new booking info to your credit card company and dispute the charge / difference in price.