Help with FLL hotels

CruisersTimesThree

We will be cruising next March and I've started the hunt for a hotel for 2 nights pre-cruise. Some are not available for booking yet, some that are have already been booked for my dates.

I have done a search here on CC and many options come up, but since I know nothing about the FLL area I could use some help/advice.

We wont have a car, so we will need someplace that will be within reasonable walking distance to restaurants and stores. I'm not sure of the many suggestions here of which hotels fall into this category.

I see posts that say the 17th St area is near all but am wondering about some of the hotels that are on State St? Any other area that we can make do without a car?

We plan on cabs from/to the airport and port.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

My guess is that the ones that show booked are really not since you are looking at greater then a year from now. That has been my experience. Many hotels allow you to book one year out and some less then a year.

In lieu of taxis I would recommend Uber or Lyft.

I would take a look at Embassy Suites. It includes a nice breakfast each morning and also a manager's reception in the evening and is in close proximity to shopping and restaurants.

If you want something on the beach I like the Marriott Harbor Beach & Resort.

Keith

Embassy Suites on 17th Street is a wonderful hotel near everything you would need. Plenty of nice restaurants, a Publix Supermarket for any last minute items and Total Wine if you decide to bring wine with you. Very near Port Everglades and a short cab ride if you want to go over to Fort Lauderdale Beach.

Look for a hotel with a free shuttle from FLL to the hotel. We stay at a Best Western that has the shuttle. There is a McDonalds right next to it, we don't use it. There is a strip mall with a bar/ restaurant, a liquor store, a German Restaurant a couple of blocks away. There are others like this. You didn't say what port that you are sailing out of. We take the hotel shuttle back to FLL and take the SAS shuttle to POM. If you are going out of Port Everglades, this hotel has a shuttle to take you there.

I have often stayed at Embassy Suites...but it's looking a bit tired...rates can be expensive...and always has been a pet peeve of mine that they have no inroom safe.

Our most recent trip to Fort Lauderdale for a pre-cruise we opted for the Hyatt Place that sits actually right near the Embassy Suites....Wow what a surprise..nice updated rooms, hot buffet breakfast and a hotel shuttle ($2.00 per room charge) from FLL and the price couldn't be beat...This is now our go to hotel.

Best rates are using:

www.valuetrips.com

Thanks everyone! I have read several reviews and Hyatt Place sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

Plan on booking this hotel in the next few days.

I am looking for beginning of Jan and Hyatt is pricing more than the Embassy suites. How is the Holiday Inn express and suites? Get pretty good reviews on TA and seems reasonably priced, keeping in mind the exchange rate for us Canadians lol!

If you are thinking of staying at the Hyatt Place Convention Center (on 17th), try booking thru valuetrips.com. Great prices. But January may not be the best time to try and get reasonably priced rooms.

ML

We just stayed at the Hyatt Place. I prefer a little nicer hotel but it was fine. Fairly basic in terms of amenities and service. Room were okay. We thought the breakfast was pretty poor but on par with a typical free hotel breakfast. The Hyatt, Crown Plaza, Embassy Suites and Four Points are all near each other. There is enough within walking distance and you are a short Uber from Los Olas and the beach areas.