Outsmarted class system

Mopsymillar

2 questions for the OP:

1. What does the title of your thread have to do with your complaint? Who outsmarted what, exactly?

2. Are you sure you aren't guilty of one of the 7 cardinal sins? The green eyed one?

If one was insecure, one might consider the various ship loyalty or cabin categories to be an "archaic class system", I suppose. Or one might realistically realize that cruising is no different than the housing, car, airline or hotel industries, where cash is king and you get what you pay for.

You aren't being forced to sail in steerage, sleep 6 to a cabin in hammocks, or eat gruel at communal tables in the bowels of the ship. But if that's how you feel about cruising at the level you can afford, then perhaps you would be happier exploring land based options.

Land based options? You mean all the hotel chains that reward their best customers with suite upgrades and executive lounge access? How about airlines that reward their best customers with First Class upgrades (for free!), NO change fees, airport lounge access?

Get used to the real world!

Land based options? You mean all the hotel chains that reward their best customers with suite upgrades and executive lounge access? How about airlines that reward their best customers with First Class upgrades (for free!), NO change fees, airport lounge access?

Get used to the real world!

Nah, I was thinking more along the lines of a tent on the beach or a cabin in the woods. Of course there are tents, and then there are TENTS! That archaic class system may even strike at the campgrounds.

There is nothing archaic about the class system, it’s called Modern Luxury.

Suites are the first class of cabins to sell out.

Watch the titanic movie again. Poor people really do have more fun even if they do wind up freezing to death or drowning in the end.

We’ve sailed in all class of cabins except the penthouse and we have survived all the experiences and made new friends on each trip.

I just looked at the suite perks on Carnival. Besides the bigger cabin, you do NOT get a separate dining room, separate lounges, separate anything. You DO get priority embarkation.

Maybe that would be more amenable to your sensitive sensibilities?

I am a bit concerned since I booked “Steerage Guarantee”. I mean we may end up near the cattle stalls, but we may luck out and be near the boilers.

I have heard of Steerage Guarantee it is the pool deck in the shade. I see people sleeping their all the time.:o Sometimes they leave the bathing towel and a book from the library. They have the biggest bath tub. And the hot tub is much nicer than the one on the suites deck that the butler has to fill.

Edited by bigbenboys
add more info

My point was, a class system is society based as I don’t consider a particular class of cabin on a cruise ship As in any way, shape or form, an indicator of class in the traditional sense unlike others. I’ve stayed in 5 star hotels and also stayed on campsites. On here, a fair few posters start with, oh I’m Barnacle class or whatever. In my opinion, that is announcing to everyone that you are a certain “status” in life.

Nobody who cruises are subject to crushing poverty, wondering where their next meal is coming from or they would not be using their hard earned cash on a luxury item.

My point was, a class system is society based as I don’t consider a particular class of cabin on a cruise ship As in any way, shape or form, an indicator of class in the traditional sense unlike others. I’ve stayed in 5 star hotels and also stayed on campsites. On here, a fair few posters start with, oh I’m Barnacle class or whatever. In my opinion, that is announcing to everyone that you are a certain “status” in life.

Nobody who cruises are subject to crushing poverty, wondering where their next meal is coming from or they would not be using their hard earned cash on a luxury item.

e - when we are sailing, we certainly know where our next meal will be. We can even time them for every 90 minutes or so and if we have enough OBC, we know which bars our next beverages will be flowing from and through!

I do not think that those in 'crushing' poverty even think about cruising or really know anyone who has, with the exception of weekly car parade down their streets...

I usually do not consider cruising in my style a luxury, rather a short vacation from it all while working towards the luxurious...

I must say you have given me a great idea as to how best introduce those who would never think of cruising or even afford a three (3) night sailing on any RCI or NCL or CAR megaline... thank you for your provoking thoughts.

bon voyage

yeah we got rid of the archaic class system in the UK after WW1. Seems to only exist on some cruise lines now.

So why have I heard my British friends say " Hear his accent, he did not go to Public schools (ie private schooling). He is from Liverpool." He did not have a posh upbringing.

I think the land based options comment was meant as a definite put down. Meh, I like land based options, funnily enough you don’t get the elitist garbage you see on here.

Like hotels in which you have to have a special key to even access certain floors?

On here, a fair few posters start with, oh I’m Barnacle class or whatever. In my opinion, that is announcing to everyone that you are a certain “status” in life.

Most people who announce their status on here are doing so as shorthand for "I've been around a while" (often before they launch into something about the good old days, but I digress). That is not elitism. It's the type of info you would expect to be conveyed on a board dedicated to specific cruise lines.

Not bothered at all and doesn't make us feel unwelcomed. We don't concern ourselves with what someone else is or gets. Cruise more and pay more. Your choice.

It doesn't bother me at all and I don't quite understand why these "elitist" posts have been popping up lately. Frankly I'm tired of the whiners. I'm quite happy with my balcony and occasionally OV cabins and would never pay extra for any kind of suite, but if people want to do that and they get extra perks by doing so, then that's fine with me.

It doesn't bother me at all and I don't quite understand why these "elitist" posts have been popping up lately. Frankly I'm tired of the whiners. I'm quite happy with my balcony and occasionally OV cabins and would never pay extra for any kind of suite, but if people want to do that and they get extra perks by doing so, then that's fine with me.

I don't either.:confused:

yeah we got rid of the archaic class system in the UK after WW1. Seems to only exist on some cruise lines now.

Only if we ignore the fact that we still have a Royal Family and hereditary peers in the House of Lords. One of my pet peeves is when politicians refer to groups of people as "ordinary"

Suggestions that Snobbery / elitism / concerns about Class do exist in other forms of holidaying / travel. On another travel forum I frequent there are regular "outrages" from those flying up front referring to those at the back of the plane as the masses, the great unwashed, kettles. The term Gate Lice has also been coined to refer to those in economy class who crowd boarding areas to the annoyance of those travelling in First.

Reminds me of an episode of Top Gear, they built a train using a passenger car with steel wheels and had carriages of descending classes with the last and lowest with nothing but a bench, straw on the floor and a hole in the cabin.

Beware booking a room with straw on its floor i say!

If nothing else, this thread has some very humorous replies!

To the OP: if you look for "cabin class discrimination", you surely will find instances to support your beliefs and find insults where none are intended.

OP, don't be put off by what you read on CC. Lots of elitism here, but thankfully it's never been an issue on board, at least not in my experience.

Thank you for a reasoned reply. I think I'm going to leave this group, the sarcasm and put downs are not very welcoming.

I'm looking forward to my cruise tho because I'm sure the nice people are in the majority just like you.. thanks again

Thank you for a reasoned reply. I think I'm going to leave this group, the sarcasm and put downs are not very welcoming.

I'm looking forward to my cruise tho because I'm sure the nice people are in the majority just like you.. thanks again

Have a wonderful time! :)

I believe you are getting weird responses because you don’t explain why you feel the way you do. As you can see the majority of us, if not all, do not feel the way you do. Possibly had you explained where you are coming from, we might have been more helpful?

I cruise in balconies, I would be willing to do less to save money, but hubby does not want to. We will never do suites or that type of thing unless we could find one that was 50 bucks more (won’t happen). We just love cruising, I have not run into too many folks flaunting their levels.

I cruise in balconies, I would be willing to do less to save money, but hubby does not want to. We will never do suites or that type of thing unless we could find one that was 50 bucks more (won’t happen). We just love cruising, I have not run into too many folks flaunting their levels.

Did you see my example on the other thread where S2 suites were just £6.25 per person per night more than a balcony room? It's the exception and not the rule but a bargain in my book.

You definitely should look forward to your cruise and enjoy it! Only once in all our cruises on X have I encountered the snobbery talked about here and that was only because I overheard a particularly snobbish "full-of-himself" man at a neighboring table for 2 in the MDR talking negatively about everyone and everything to his dinner companion (loudly). She looked sad and long suffering to put up with his whining. Other than that we've encountered nice folks who were friendly.

I like a better cabin. That's just me. My grandmother used to take us on cruises all the time. We always had an inside cabin and went budget class. She said we were never in the cabin so why upgrade. That worked great!

But as an adult I have realized that I personally would rather sail less often to afford a higher class of accommodations.

That's just how I roll.

Mopsymillar, you have to understand a lot of the negativity was because your post came right on the heels of a thread with 20+ pages that was about the exact. same. thing.

Many of us felt oh no, here we go. Again.

And we'd still like to know, from your title, how you have "outsmarted" the system. Please share.