Outsmarted class system

Mopsymillar

Those that think they are higher class people due to paying more for a higher class room are so stinkin' wrong it's hilarious. And ridiculous. We enjoyed Blu, but honestly, I'm not a spa person, and we didn't even like the afternoon tapas they brought. So to me it's not worth a vast difference in cost just for Blu. And no, I didn't feel any *more* special being Aqua than I have on any other cruise, any other line, any other category. It's all the same. They treat all guests the same.

Plus One.

But I would add that - as you may also believe - it is stinkin' wrong for some in lower cost cabins to believe that most occupants of more expensive cabins feel that this makes themselves higher class people. I have generally found this to not be the case.

And though I have loved eating in Blu on several cruises, the current price differences are ridiculous. Been tracking prices for a Reflection 12N Iberian Peninsula September 2019 cruise and the difference between 1B and A2 is now $950 pp. At a little over $79 per night, I could instead purchase three specialty restaurant packages and eat three courses in three different specialty restaurants on all 12 evenings during the cruise!

Its unfortunate that there isnt a serious discussion about Celebrity's move to segregation of dining and other venues.

Had the original poster phrased this issue more appropriately , perhaps this would have happened.

As it is, this has turned into a big joke.

I dont even know what the Title of this Thread means.

It is also unfortunate that you use the word "segregation" since although one meaning is merely "set apart or isolate from the rest" the other meaning of "ethnic, racial or religious discrimination" is heavily loaded here in the US.

Just want more conversation about the real differences for what you pay and there are many.

We are noticing more and more that, Celebrity's basic cruises ( balcony and lower) are not at all comparable to the experiences of those in Suites and higher. Even though prices for the basics have really gone up but not quality of product.

So the question becomes, what can I find that is on the Suite level but not the suite price. That has us turning to other cruise lines.

An interesting comment.

I would be interested in hearing more from you regarding what suite level attributes you would like to receive at regular (not C or AQ) balcony prices and where beyond Celebrity you feel you will be able to receive them.

Its unfortunate that there isnt a serious discussion about Celebrity's move to segregation of dining and other venues.

Had the original poster phrased this issue more appropriately , perhaps this would have happened.

As it is, this has turned into a big joke.

I dont even know what the Title of this Thread means.

IMO there is nothing wrong with the 'segregation' of dining based on cabin type. Just as long as the current MDR set-up is not segregated down, no issue from us.

There have been and are currently, discussions about Blu and Luminae and those who enjoy them and those who do not and make alternative arrangements etc...

When we start sailing suites, we would expect to have a better dining experience, for which we would be paying for.

bon voyage

Here's the problem that I see over and over again with these ridiculous "class/elitism" threads. When used as a noun, the word class has 2 different definitions

Too many people seem to confuse or equate one for the other. They would be wrong. And that, IMO, is the fallacy that these silly threads seem to be based on.

The current cruiseline categories have nothing to do with social status or rank. It's simply price based. No matter where you are (or think you are) on the social ladder, your cabin category or loyalty status is solely determined by how much and how often you're willing to spend on your ship board accommodations.

Rant over.

I would not consider this a rant, just statements of 'facts'....

bon voyage

That's fine in theory, but in reality, those lower on the social ladder normally don't have the same financial resources as those on the higher rungs of the ladder and are not going to occupy the same categories of cabin. How much you are willing to spend and how much you are able to spend are two very different things.

When the cruise is over, one, hopefully, got what they paid for in reality... and had an phenomenal 'unreal' time while away!

bon voyage

Then I do not understand what your interpretation of "willing to spend" is. How can you be willing to spend a certain amount if you are not able to?

Are you saying that I can somehow be willing to spend a million dollars in a top suite on a world cruises even though I only have 10 grand available to spend? If that is the case then it would seem you are confusing willing with desiring.

Willingness doesn't imply the capacity for achievement, but if you'd like to substitute "desiring" for "willing" when reading my post, please be my guest.:halo:

That's fine in theory, but in reality, those lower on the social ladder normally don't have the same financial resources as those on the higher rungs of the ladder and are not going to occupy the same categories of cabin. How much you are willing to spend and how much you are able to spend are two very different things.

Indeed they are very different things. I am easily able to spend the money necessary for "the suite life". But I choose not to. I'm not willing to spend money where I perceive little value (for me). And I know many who feel similarly. So in your world, does the fact that I choose a lower category of stateroom put me lower on your social ladder?

Indeed they are very different things. I am easily able to spend the money necessary for "the suite life". But I choose not to. I'm not willing to spend money where I perceive little value (for me). And I know many who feel similarly. So in your world, does the fact that I choose a lower category of stateroom put me lower on your social ladder?

Not at all. You and I are on the same wave length.

Interesting - but odd. We are from the north of England and fairly frequent cruisers but not loyal to one cruiseline. Have sailed in inside/outside/balcony/suite depending on how much we could afford at the time. "you get what you pay for". Truly have never been aware of being treated any differently by anyone. Having said that - outside of the restaurants associated with the specific cabin - ie price - of cabin; how would one ever know which cabin anyone was in. We have never discussed that sort of thing with people we meet on cruises. Being British we tend not to talk about what we do/how much we earn as it is seen as being rather rude. Because of that, we have sometimes been surprised after a cruise, if we have kept in touch via FB or whatever, to have discovered that people on our quiz team for instance, have been far, far better off than us. So what - it really doesn't matter. Why should it? Also, further up this thread, someone made comment about a British person being disparaging about someone with a Liverpool accent and saying they would not have gone to a private/fee paying school. What utter out-dated nonsense. I work in a very expensive selective independent school in the north of England and both of our sons were privately educated. People who have money in the UK do not, necessarily, speak with an RP/southern accent.

Wow!

What a brilliant hint!

Cruise ships with class division have no class.

Excellent.

Thank you Orator.

Ships have no class divisions per se, only cabin divisions of which we can choose where our money lands on to experience.

One is not, usually, Lorded over for their choices in on-board accommodations or eating venues. Discretionary is the applicable thought when sailing.

Nothing wrong with that in my opine...

bon voyage

Unfortunately some ship do have class divisions. A detailed explanation is here.

Yes, I did see your postings about this and smiled by the energy put into supporting the thesis or seemingly discriminatory placement of those who choose to not 'buy up' to the ship-in-a-ship accommodations. Jealous, I Am, not...

When booking a cruise vacation, one can go online or ask their TA, about the differences and costs of such enclaves and decide if the experience is affordable, desirable or necessary. Personal choice and I leave it at that. It is not like the ship carries less than 100 passengers where the opportunity to meet everyone, is likely.

I can only say that most passengers, except the most enlightened on such enclaves, will not care or think about this 'division' as we are on vacation and enjoying ourselves and not thinking or fuming or upset or whatever about these sections of the ship, if we did not book into them.

It is what it is and we can select different lines or ships if it is that much of an issue to deal with, when relaxation and fun is the order of the day...

At the end of the day/cruise, I and others choose not to give up our peace of mind and fun to allow these perceived divisions to bother us. Yet some do... I say go for it, no need for discussion as far as I Am concerned, then again I do comment on those thoughts do I not..!!! LOL

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I put a value on human beings based on their kindness, philanthropy, warmth and friendliness, not on how often the take vacations or what type of accommodations they choose when they do. A person may choose to spend all of his/her vacation time on a cruise ship or in a suite, may have unlimited financial resources, but those things, to me do not give a person "class." The differentiation offered on the ships for sailing frequency or cabin category is nothing more than a way for the ship to give the cruiser what they paid for. Enjoy.

As far as food discussions go, tastes are individual and some will love what others think is awful. I have had meals aboard ship both in the MDR and in specialty restaurants that I've loved, others that were okay, and 1 that I remember as awful (but was quickly and pleasantly replaced). I'm sure that those same meals were reviewed by other cruisers differently. Chocolate and vanilla. I don't believe it has anything to do with a class system, but more to do with a system of getting what you pay for.

I have to share my 2 experiences with anyone knowing or caring what cabin/class we were in. I've been cruising for over 40 years in everything from insides on up.

Our very first Celebrity cruise in 2001 on the Mercury. We were 4 couples who didn't know each other in the MDR. One of the couples mentioned their balcony, and the other 6 of us didn't say a word, completely did not follow up on the comment.

After dinner that first night we all decided to go to the show together, but all the ladies wanted to stop by their cabin first. We all leave the MDR. We all get in the elevator. We all got off at the same floor. Uh oh this is weird. Imagine the guffaws when we found out we were all in a row, all with our balcony cabins. We all said "we didn't want to say we had a balcony, too, in case some of you didn't we didn't want to make you feel bad".

Second example was just a couple of years ago. Only time we got coupons since there were so many Elites on board (sorry, that's what Celebrity calls them) rather than the designated cocktail hour upstairs. We handed over our coupons in a lounge and the couple we were sharing a table with asked what they were, so we explained the whole Elite thing. First and last time anyone has EVER asked our status.

So when I read these threads where people are complaining about how everyone is bragging about their cabin, their status, their whatever, I have to wonder - how have I been so lucky to never run into these people in 40 years? And how do the rest of you manage to find them?

Not bothered at all and doesn't make us feel unwelcomed. We don't concern ourselves with what someone else is or gets. Cruise more and pay more. Your choice.

Well said.

We have done a suite and it was nice, but frankly, not worth the huge cost difference. We like cruising more frequently.

I have to share my 2 experiences with anyone knowing or caring what cabin/class we were in. I've been cruising for over 40 years in everything from insides on up.

Our very first Celebrity cruise in 2001 on the Mercury. We were 4 couples who didn't know each other in the MDR. One of the couples mentioned their balcony, and the other 6 of us didn't say a word, completely did not follow up on the comment.

After dinner that first night we all decided to go to the show together, but all the ladies wanted to stop by their cabin first. We all leave the MDR. We all get in the elevator. We all got off at the same floor. Uh oh this is weird. Imagine the guffaws when we found out we were all in a row, all with our balcony cabins. We all said "we didn't want to say we had a balcony, too, in case some of you didn't we didn't want to make you feel bad".

Second example was just a couple of years ago. Only time we got coupons since there were so many Elites on board (sorry, that's what Celebrity calls them) rather than the designated cocktail hour upstairs. We handed over our coupons in a lounge and the couple we were sharing a table with asked what they were, so we explained the whole Elite thing. First and last time anyone has EVER asked our status.

So when I read these threads where people are complaining about how everyone is bragging about their cabin, their status, their whatever, I have to wonder - how have I been so lucky to never run into these people in 40 years? And how do the rest of you manage to find them?

Amazing isn't it? I don't seem to run into them either.

Good Morning Everyone!

My husband and myself decided long ago that we could either go once a year in a balcony or maybe twice in an OV or Inside. We know that a lot of people have a lot more money than we do, we understand that. I feel blessed to be able go at all.

Have a great day

Good Morning Everyone!

My husband and myself decided long ago that we could either go once a year in a balcony or maybe twice in an OV or Inside. We know that a lot of people have a lot more money than we do, we understand that. I feel blessed to be able go at all.

Have a great day

Hear hear

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good Morning Everyone!

Have a great day

And so we all should. There's a couple of billion people at least globally who'll never be able to enjoy the MDR or OV cafe globally after all.

Is this a serious question or are you just trolling?

Since they have never come back my vote is for trolling.

SunsetPoint & warmwinds - I agree with your sentiment.

Why do people worry about something before they have had the experience to know how it will be? I'd much rather hear about a specific experience than a bunch of folks "speculate".

Walter

All the Elite thing is, you've chosen to cruise the line frequently enough to attain loyalty privileges. Just like frequent flyer miles. We cruise several lines.. 6 on Cunard/4 on Celebrity/1(soon 2)on Oceania/1 on Princess. We settle on a line we like for awhile. If things cutback(which we've seen on Celebrity as of late), we try something different. So now we loved our recent 10 day cruise on the Riviera & now booked for a 14 day trip next Jan.