Golden Princess

2018AGP

We will be on the Golden heading out of Yokohama in April making our way to Anchorage. She is an older ship but still has all the amenities. Sailed her a few years back from San Fran to Alaska return. Lovely ship.

• 1 month later...

Just off the Golden after sailing Melbourne to Singapore, where she went for a make over Lol. Lots of problems to be sorted, ripped carpet, leaks in state rooms to name but a few, two pools were closed during the trip. If you have any questions just ask.

Just boarded (today) in Singapore. Lots of new carpets and some prep work for the *****. Ship is still rough around the edges with rust showing in many places around the decks. No updates to the Lido which means the same old congestion problems with too few serving stations. Crew suffered for 2 weeks in dry dock with no A/C

Hank

Just off the Golden after sailing Melbourne to Singapore, where she went for a make over Lol. Lots of problems to be sorted, ripped carpet, leaks in state rooms to name but a few, two pools were closed during the trip. If you have any questions just ask.

Our cousin were on the same voyage where he suffered a heart attack. The ship's doctors saved his life and he is doing well now after spending time in Perth recovering and since returning to Nashville.

After speaking him the other day, he stated that there wasn't an Elite/Suiteholder Lounge on the ship, that smoking anywhere wasn't allowed due to Australian law and the ship also didn't have BOGO for a $1. I question the smoking ban and there are many Princess ships that have discontinued the BOGO, but cutting out the Lounge is really a stretch to save a few bucks. Are all these things true?

Grego, I was on the Melbourne to Singapore repo cruise on the Golden Princess and the P.E.S. lounge was held in Skywalkers each evening between 5PM and 7PM. It was very well attended - in fact it was hard to find a seat most nights.

Correct, there was no BOGO $1 on this sailing.

There was no smoking allowed indoors as is usual on ships sailing in Australian waters. The smoking areas were outside on Deck 7 Starboard side aft and Deck 15 Tradewinds Bar Port side only (also outdoors) - and I can assure you that they were very well patronised.

Best wishes for your relative's speedy recovery.

Edited by LC1950
Grammar!

Grego, I was on the Melbourne to Singapore repo cruise on the Golden Princess and the P.E.S. lounge was held in Skywalkers each evening between 5PM and 7PM. It was very well attended - in fact it was hard to find a seat most nights.

Correct, there was no BOGO $1 on this sailing.

There was no smoking allowed indoors as is usual on ships sailing in Australian waters. The smoking areas were outside on Deck 7 Starboard side aft and Deck 15 Tradewinds Bar Port side only (also outdoors) - and I can assure you that they were very well patronised.

Best wishes for your relative's speedy recovery.

Thanks for the good wishes and the response to the questions. I'm glad to see they haven't stopped the PE Lounge. BOGO is a hit or miss on the ships. I now understand the smoking issue.

Thanks again.

Greg

Just boarded (today) in Singapore. Lots of new carpets and some prep work for the *****. Ship is still rough around the edges with rust showing in many places around the decks. No updates to the Lido which means the same old congestion problems with too few serving stations. Crew suffered for 2 weeks in dry dock with no A/C

Hank

Actually, I believe the Golden received the “standard” Grand class Horizon Court “update” during her drydock three years ago. This update included an additional serving station across the aisle from the existing serving area. Does nothing to change the flow and congestion within the existing area but spreads out the food a bit and adds additional options.

Would be interesting in hearing about any other visible changes as she was in drydock for two weeks.

We have been on the Golden 3 times and it is our favorite ship. However, please know that we have only cruised 7 times (Princess, Celebrity, and HAL).

We have also been on the Crown and Coral. The Golden is our favorite.

We were on her twice to Alaska and we think that she is perfect for any Alaska itinerary.

Have fun!

The Golden is doing 3 day cruises from San Pedro, I'm booked on 2 of them in window suites. The congestion in the horizon court might be relieved a bit now that there is a club class and many people will use club class for all three meals instead of the buffet.

The Golden is doing 3 day cruises from San Pedro, I'm booked on 2 of them in window suites. The congestion in the horizon court might be relieved a bit now that there is a club class and many people will use club class for all three meals instead of the buffet.

Club Class lunch is only available on sea days. Yes, Club Class draws a few people from other venues--the MDR setting or the buffet. But Club Class involves a relatively small number of passengers. On the Caribbean Princess last week, I didn't feel it really made a difference in the buffet... but I only went to the buffet at odd hours.

Club Class on Golden encompasses 42 Full Suites and 31 Mini-Suites. A total of 148 passengers (counting the minimum four in the two Family Suites) plus any in the third and fourth berths. So just over one half of one percent. Hardly going to make a dent in HC traffic.

And as for another drydock change: the Cruise Personalizer for my May 26 Alaska sailing now shows Sabatini's Trattoria with the new menu under Specialty Dining. One more ship with the original Sabatini's gone.

Club Class on Golden encompasses 42 Full Suites and 31 Mini-Suites. A total of 148 passengers (counting the minimum four in the two Family Suites) plus any in the third and fourth berths. So just over one half of one percent. Hardly going to make a dent in HC traffic.

And as for another drydock change: the Cruise Personalizer for my May 26 Alaska sailing now shows Sabatini's Trattoria with the new menu under Specialty Dining. One more ship with the original Sabatini's gone.

While your math is wrong, I agree with your sentiments. 148 of the 2600 capacity listed for the Golden Princess is 5.6% of passengers. Half of one percent of passengers would be 13 people.

Please post any post-dry dock reviews of the Golden!

Edited by moki'smommy

...And as for another drydock change: the Cruise Personalizer for my May 26 Alaska sailing now shows Sabatini's Trattoria with the new menu under Specialty Dining. One more ship with the original Sabatini's gone.
My Pesonalizer also shows Sabatini’s Trattoria. We are looking forward to the new menu on our 28 day cruise from LA to Sydney and we plan to celebrate our anniversary there. The first cruise after the drydock has just departed today and we have no confirmation the change was made.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our cousin were on the same voyage where he suffered a heart attack. The ship's doctors saved his life and he is doing well now after spending time in Perth recovering and since returning to Nashville.

I remember this happening Great to hear he's doing OK

I do like the golden, I have spent a 28 night from Beijing to Brisbane late 2016 and a 13 night Sydney to Fiji April last year. Same room both times, forget like I absolutely love the golden. She a classy ship and stands up well today, the layout is fantastic as well as the service.

I do like the golden,.........She a classy ship and stands up well today, the layout is fantastic as well as the service.

Agree. The Golden really is a classy ship. We sailed on her 30 plus days around South America in 2014. She was showing signs of wear then but my gosh it was a wonderful journey. The crew were happy and helpful, Sammi Baker was the Cruise Director, the food was magnificent, and the ship rode the ocean currents with stability and glee. We couldn't fault our experience and would sail on her again at the drop of a hat. Interesting to note that you could see the outline of the P&O on the funnel as clear as crystal. The Golden was destined to return to the fold!

So glad that many have had great experiences on the Golden in recent days. For what we were looking at for our Alaska trip, the Golden itinerary seemed to fit the bill. Was a little apprehensive at first booking her because of the age but figured that she was being kept up well and it sounds like that is true. Just over 6 weeks and we'll be on our way NB to Alaska!

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone dine at the Crown Grill or Sabatini's? Please share your experiences. Thanks!

From what other posters have said Sabatini's have be updated and new menu after the resent drydock. crown grill is unchanged, we were on in Feb 2018 dined a couple of times at the crown grill, food was very good, staff were friendly, but the maître d was a bit a control person. Sabatini only dined once as was good but preferred the crown grill.

Both are good, but are they worth the extra cost ?, that is up to you., Check out the menus and make up your mind, Also from what I know the menus don't change over the cruise.

Cheers Don

Anyone dine at the Crown Grill or Sabatini's? Please share your experiences. Thanks!

2018AGP, we dined at the Crown Grill in early March. We had a beautiful meal and would recommend it. Our steaks were cooked exactly as we like them, our appetisers were fantastic as were the desserts. We should have opted to share a dessert as we didn't finish them.

Leigh