Odyssey live from Barbados

fudge

Waste Management Officer is a very important post, just think what would happen if the ship didn't have one!!! In the UK he would be known as the Bin Man or perhaps the Bin Man's boss. J

:D

Crew should not be hosting tables in the TK Grill.

It’s hard enough for guests to get a table there.

Hosted tables should remain in the MDR.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. I did hear of a member of the Entertainment Team hosting a table in The Grill but, despite us saying yes to lots of invites, we've never been invited to one there! The Waste Management Officer's invite was to the MDR, not the Grill!

I do think there is a problem with guests leaving it very late in telling the staff they are turning down the invitation. We always either accept or refuse as soon as we receive notification. on our last cruise 4 people (2 couples ? ) just did not turn up to the table one evening which I thought very rude.

Crew should not be hosting tables in the TK Grill.

It’s hard enough for guests to get a table there.

Hosted tables should remain in the MDR.

We were told that if a member of the entertainment staff (or other staff) were dining in the TKG, it is because they were invited by (and are thus hosted by) a guest and not the other way around. And to do this, a request has to be made in advance and the HotMan has to approve it. It’s not a normal thing and indeed a case-by-case consideration.

If whoever the staff member is cannot get enough yes responses to the hosted table they should just cancel it, not try to drum up last minute substitutes. I find it insulting. If I were called at 5:30PM to join a hosted table I'd ask "What will I get in return for doing you this favor?"

Day 12

Terre-De-Haut, IlesDes Saintes, Guadeloupe.

Lying 10k off Guadeloupe Terre-De-Haut is the largest of eight small Islands that make up Les Saintes. The Island is only 5k long and about half as wide, if you look out after docking it’s a very pretty harbor.

After mentioning in my last thread about receiving a phone call asking to accompany a member of the crew to dinner, it happened again last evening even later at 6pm when we were already getting ready for the Colonnade,Mrs. Fudge was not best pleased, if it happens again this evening they will politely get a flea in their ear. Mrs.Fudge said “why would we pay all that money to dine with the crew?” Only joking, the old ones are the best. J

In answer to questions on Cruise Critic, binoculars are not in the suite but they will give them on request. Because of high winds most off the back of the boat activities have been cancelled, there have been one I think in 12 days, it looks fun but we didn’t take part.

Yesterday friends we met decided to hire a taxi and take an Island tour; they had a great day apparently. They negotiated a price of 32 US dollars per head (4 people) and the tour lasted 7 hours which included a stop for lunch, (not included in the price) they said Antigua is their favourite Island so far.

Tonight is the chef’s dinner in the MDR. The menu is: Salmon Tartar, Roast vegetable soup, Wasabi crusted scallop, Mojito Sorbet, Crisp pan seared Mahi Mahi, Herb crusted beef tenderloin, White Chocolate Parfait, Petit Fours, and in addition there are at least 7 Vegetarian options. In the Colonnade the menu is old English theme, shrimp cocktail, Lancashire hot pot,Dover sole or English cut roast beef, ARE YOU GETTING HUNGRY YET???

Our favourite menu so far was the Steak Diane; Mrs. Fudge had the Dover sole in the grill. The two BBQ’s on the beach with caviar in the surf are just brilliant, not to be missed. Other menus include, Japanese, Indian,Rib eye, Surf and turf, French, Caribbean, American, and Australian, flavours there for most palates.

There have been some lovely meals in the Colonnade, we had Thai menu the other evening which was very nice. The lunches have a theme; we had a British lunch the other day, Shepherd’s pie, fish and Chips or lasagna.The Italian lunch was also delightful.

Last evening we had a Thomas Keller menu in the Colonnade,to be honest we were underwhelmed with the buttered chicken, it was an enormous Kentucky Fried Chicken, we expected something completely different, oh well just not to our taste. L

We left the ship by tender a very short ride to the Island.Like I mentioned, it’s a very pretty Island but not much to see or do. You could hire a scooter (60 Euros) for two people or a small golf buggy type vehicle and explore the Island yourself. Just a reminder again, the Island is French and deals in Euros.

Seabourn offer two excursions, an Island tour 3 hrs.’ 15 mins for 79 US or a clear see through Kayak tour (1 hour 30 minutes) 79 US. One guest inquired why we don’t have water sports today? We can only operate in open seas not in a bay where we are.

We were back on board in time for our first beer, rude not to really, impolite even. The lady behind the bar Eva, knows what we like, she should do really we have been on board long enough. Counting the days down now,this afternoon we are having Caviar and Champagne on our veranda, all very decadent,it’s a hard life on board but I guess that’s what we have paid our bucks for?

We ate lunch in the Colonnade with a lovely couple from LA,I had the Lasagna, the Pasta with cream and herbs AND the pork loin, after which a cool ice cream at the patio bar with a huge glug of dark rum over the top, yum yum, talk about indulgence!!

If whoever the staff member is cannot get enough yes responses to the hosted table they should just cancel it, not try to drum up last minute substitutes. I find it insulting. If I were called at 5:30PM to join a hosted table I'd ask "What will I get in return for doing you this favor?"

It's no wonder we get so many last minute calls then! It's never a problem to us, we find it quite amusing and if we have other plans we politely say no, but more often than not it's a yes. Perhaps we should start charging a fee for our services :')

Quote" Tonight is the chef’s dinner in the MDR. The menu is: Salmon Tartar, Roast vegetable soup, Wasabi crusted scallop, Mojito Sorbet, Crisp pan seared Mahi Mahi, Herb crusted beef tenderloin, White Chocolate Parfait, Petit Fours,

Notice yet again that the Chef is not catering to those of us that have an allergy to fish, only on the main course. (meat)

On our recent Odyssey cruise we were on the Captains table and even though the Maitre'd knew of my allergy I was not offered anything for the first or third course, Seabourn also have it noted about my allergy to fish.

I asked the waitress if I could have anything else and was told this was not possible as it was the Chef's dinner, this is not what I am used to with Seabourn. I just sat there whilst the other dinners finished their courses it was rather awkward

On Odyssey last autumn the Chef's dinner was exquisite - the 'fish' course was crab , to which I have an allergy. I was offered the vegetarian alternative, of which there was one for each course, unusually, and it was gorgeous. The Chef was Tom, absolutely excellent.

Day 13

Bequia, St. Vincent& the Grenadines

After a fairly rocky sailing we arrived this morning at 7 am to another lovely sunny day, the weather has improved as the cruise has progressed, far more sunny days.

The Island is small, 7 square miles (18k) with a population of 4,300 the native population are mainly a mixture of African, Scottish, and Island Carib descent.

Yesterday afternoon the Cruise Director Robert and his assistant Stephanie sang around the pool deck, there was a large audience who enjoyed it very much. It was officially posted as a musical theater & opera on deck.

Last evening we ate at the Colonnade, it was a British menu in the main, Lancashire hot pot and Roast beef washed down with copious amounts of Red wine, too much in fact, we did intend to watch the entertainment who was the on board comedian but the wine got the better of us and we retired to bed,naughty Mr. & Mrs. Fudge!

Tonight is BBQ spare ribs in the Colonnade reservation required so we are giving that amiss.

We had a laugh yesterday afternoon, the Herald published a hosted golf game for prizes, and 6 budding Tiger Woods turned up only to wait over 30 minutes however, there was a no show by the crew. All six of us went to Seabourn square demanding (tongue in cheek) a week’s free cruise, you can imagine the response?

We must be nearing the end of the cruise now our disembarkation luggage tags arrived, as usual out of the suite by 8am on Saturday. For those who have not visited Barbados before, the cruise terminal is very modern with shops, cafes and WI fi once you disembark. All the taxis you require are on hand after a very short walk.

Today is another tender operation, only a short hop to the shore. There is a beautiful promenade/harbor to the Island. You can enjoy a leisurely stroll along the sea front to try and lose a pound or two of excess baggage we have consumed on the cruise, or relax on one of the many small beaches where the sea laps up very gently. For those who need off shore WI fi there are a few bars who have it for the cost of a coffee or beer.

For those who want to explore the Island at their leisure,the locals once again are on hand offering their services, either a closed air conditioned taxi or an open back van with bench seats which seat 6/8 people. Of course you should always agree a rate BEFORE you depart.

Lunch was the Colonnade (again) a very nice satay menu.Noodles, beef and Pork satay, a seafood dish in a very rich sauce. You may have noticed that we have not mentioned the Patio grill, actually we are not great lovers of fast food however, quite a few guests eat there so it must be popular. We are not wine buffs however, if you like Red wines please try The Zin, a Californian Red and you will not be disappointed.

While in the Colonnade I asked if they could serve the BBQribs to me in the MDR this evening, It was a definite NO NO, the Thomas Keller has a brand which in non-transferrable.

Day 13

Bequia, St. Vincent& the Grenadines

After a fairly rocky sailing we arrived this morning at 7 am to another lovely sunny day, the weather has improved as the cruise has progressed, far more sunny days.

The Island is small, 7 square miles (18k) with a population of 4,300 the native population are mainly a mixture of African, Scottish, and Island Carib descent.

Yesterday afternoon the Cruise Director Robert and his assistant Stephanie sang around the pool deck, there was a large audience who enjoyed it very much. It was officially posted as a musical theater & opera on deck.

Last evening we ate at the Colonnade, it was a British menu in the main, Lancashire hot pot and Roast beef washed down with copious amounts of Red wine, too much in fact, we did intend to watch the entertainment who was the on board comedian but the wine got the better of us and we retired to bed,naughty Mr. & Mrs. Fudge!

Tonight is BBQ spare ribs in the Colonnade reservation required so we are giving that amiss.

We had a laugh yesterday afternoon, the Herald published a hosted golf game for prizes, and 6 budding Tiger Woods turned up only to wait over 30 minutes however, there was a no show by the crew. All six of us went to Seabourn square demanding (tongue in cheek) a week’s free cruise, you can imagine the response?

We must be nearing the end of the cruise now our disembarkation luggage tags arrived, as usual out of the suite by 8am on Saturday. For those who have not visited Barbados before, the cruise terminal is very modern with shops, cafes and WI fi once you disembark. All the taxis you require are on hand after a very short walk.

Today is another tender operation, only a short hop to the shore. There is a beautiful promenade/harbor to the Island. You can enjoy a leisurely stroll along the sea front to try and lose a pound or two of excess baggage we have consumed on the cruise, or relax on one of the many small beaches where the sea laps up very gently. For those who need off shore WI fi there are a few bars who have it for the cost of a coffee or beer.

For those who want to explore the Island at their leisure,the locals once again are on hand offering their services, either a closed air conditioned taxi or an open back van with bench seats which seat 6/8 people. Of course you should always agree a rate BEFORE you depart.

Lunch was the Colonnade (again) a very nice satay menu.Noodles, beef and Pork satay, a seafood dish in a very rich sauce. You may have noticed that we have not mentioned the Patio grill, actually we are not great lovers of fast food however, quite a few guests eat there so it must be popular. We are not wine buffs however, if you like Red wines please try The Zin, a Californian Red and you will not be disappointed.

While in the Colonnade I asked if they could serve the BBQribs to me in the MDR this evening, It was a definite NO NO, the Thomas Keller has a brand which in non-transferrable.

Love reading your live update. Thanks so much! Could you please do me a huge favor? I believe there is a trio playing in the Club lounge currently. Danielle is their lead singer. If I’m correct and they are currently playing on your cruise, could you possibly ask them where they are headed next and if they have a website. They were on our Alaska cruise this past July and we really loved them. We are currently on a Regent cruise in the Caribbean and the music does not stack up. A thousand thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Kick em Jenny must be one of the best volcano names anywhere. However, it is likely only to inconvenience ships heading for St George's Grenada from St Vincent. And as the volcano has been active since 1939, all navigation avoids the area as a matter of course (there is a permanent 1.5km exclusion zone, which has just been extended to 5km). It erupted in April 2017, and in July 2015 before that, so this is nothing unusual. I see that the current seismic alert specifically says that, because of the depth and type of activity there is no risk of a tsunami, which is the only thing that might be a concern for those visiting the wider Caribbean. And given that Kick em Jenny is a long way underwater, there is, sadly, nothing to be seen even if she does erupt!

Day 12

Terre-De-Haut, IlesDes Saintes, Guadeloupe.

There have been some lovely meals in the Colonnade, we had Thai menu the other evening which was very nice. The lunches have a theme; we had a British lunch the other day, Shepherd’s pie, fish and Chips or lasagna.

Lasagna???

Day 14

Castries, St. Lucia

Castries is the capitol and the largest city of St. Lucia, a country in the Caribbean. The population is 68,000. One of the most scenic sights in Castries is the port, where cruise ships arrive almost every day and duty free shops offers great deals. Water taxis connect the quays, making it easy for visitors to travel between the docks while catching a beautiful view of the city.

The best duty free shopping in this port is near the harbor in Castries at the Spanish – style complex of Pointe Seraphine. Fine China,crystal, perfume and leather goods are found there.

Well here we are the last full day of our cruise; we have just docked in St. Lucia after a smooth crossing. Looking out onto the dock,the local taxi drivers and van drivers are all waiting to capture the guests leaving the ship.

Our stewardess has already taken the suitcases from under the bed and Mrs. Fudge has started to pack, very busy arranging all the contraband and perfumes for our journey back to Cyprus. We do have an extra day in Barbados to look forward to; it will be a change not to rock and roll for a day.

Another cruise ship is already docked, the MSC Fantasia, some of their guests came out greet us, Mrs. Fudge must be a cruise snob now, she said “please don’t wave its very common” J

Yesterday afternoon Robert and Stephanie hosted an ice cream party on the pool deck, an ice cream of your choice with alcohol of your choice on top, what is not to like. It did get out of hand; Stephanie was thrown in the pool closely followed by Robert, all very silly.

A side car cocktail for Mr. Fudge, a late sunshine burn then an afternoon snooze, just perfect.

We did end up at the Colonnade after all, we were invited by friends we have met on the cruise, we had the short ribs which were OK, I’m sorry we don’t get the Thomas Keller thing and we are by no means fussy eaters,each to their own I guess.

Mrs. Fudge continues to whittle down the on board credit,she has it down to a fine art, the first thing to appear on our TV this morning was our account, she will be in the shop at 7 pm precisely to splash out right down to the last dollar.

One question from cruise critic was asking who the trio was playing in the club lounge. I think you may have the wrong trio; their namesare Almein Simones, Ian Malgarte, and Leonel Bastos. I will check later and post in the morning.

We got off the ship to be met by a barrage of local taxi drivers, once you run the gauntlet it doesn’t stop there. We chose to walk to the shopping area, take it from me it’s not worth it! We walked about 30 minutes to a local market selling the usual tourist tat that was it. There was more hassle all the way there and coming back, not dangerous by any means but pestering would be a better word.

Take my advice, either pre book a tour with Seabourn, or stay around the port where there are some nice shops and bars. We were recommended a company called Cosol tours, St. Lucia, they come highly recommended by other Cruise Critic members, the only reason we did not take a tour because it was our last full day on board and we are eating fairly early this evening.

We had the best lunch on board today of course our last lunch on board, the Colonnade served clams, two styles of spicy curry, a huge sucking pig followed by a key lime pie, very tasty indeed.

So we had the last hosted golf game this afternoon for a prize, finally I got my Seabourn umbrella.

Finally

Can I say a huge big thank you to those who have read my blog and have followed us on our fantastic cruise in the Caribbean, thank you for your questions which I hope I answered?

A big thank you to the officers and crew of the Seabourn Odyssey for their exceptional service and commitment to the passengers on our cruise, I would not hesitate to take this cruise again, Mr. & Mrs. Fudge look forward to sailing with Seabourn in the near future.

Thank you so much Mr Fudge for your wonderful blogs they have been funny and very informative, l am sorry your trip has come to an end as you have been so entertaining, we are going on this cruise next January I hope it will be as good as yours. I hope Mrs Fudge enjoyed her last shop on board - Barbados has shops and you have two days! Safe onward travels and thank you once again.

I have really enjoyed reading your updates from the islands fudge. It brought back some lovely memories of when we visited that area.

I hope Mrs fudge managed to find some nice last minute shopping in the boutique. I totally relate as I would be doing the same.:)

Julie

Update on the trio.

Danielle and the trio left the ship two weeks ago and are now on the Quest and are going on the Sojourn.

Our final evening was spent in the Grill, I had the lobster thermidor, Mrs. Fudge has a steak actually it was a very nice experience.

Back in our suite the ship is rocking tonight, and that has nothing to do with our on board activities J

The cases are packed we are all ready for the trip home, one final cognac in the observation bar and that is it!