How can RC get away with false advertising of sale of excursions ?

I am scheduled to cruise RC on Empress of the Seas in September. We chose this cruise line only because of the itinerary to hit 3 ports in Cuba. First, I was angry as all heck as the sales agent did not advise us we are required to purchase an excursion to go out in town. I found this out a day after paying our deposits.I called to confirm this and gave my opinion that this NEEDS to be explained to people booking these cruises.

Next, we receive emails about limited time sale on excursions. We looked again at the excursions and the web site just shows the price after discount. We booked 2 excursions thinking we were getting a 10% discount. Then we inquire more the next day and find out they are not even discounted, but just the standard 10% off the "on the ship price" that was the same price months ago when we booked. That is flat out lying to us. How do they get away with this?

I cruised this ship last year during spring break and vowed to never cruise RC again due to the customer service personnel out right lying to me and after I proved them wrong, they didn't even apologize to me. I have 20 cruises with Carnival and have never been treated like I was on RC. I have never been tricked like RC does and just can't understand how they are able to treat people this way. I really wish I didn't have $500 on a deposit already as I would cancel this quicker than you can snap your fingers. This is completely absurd.

Please someone explain why this company exists today with this treatment to people. Please tell me !

• Like 1

I’ve been doing so general research on Cuba as we’re booked on Empress in November. I’m given to understand that you do NOT need to purchase an excursion through RCI. You can use a local guide and select ‘support to the Cuban people’ on the visa form

I agree about the false advertising . I booked two excursions a few days ago for our next cruise. Yesterday there was an email advertising up to 25% off and in smaller letters "off the on board price". When I looked at my planner - guess what, no difference n the price I purchased a few days ago. Lying, maybe not, but misleading, yes.

I am scheduled to cruise RC on Empress of the Seas in September. We chose this cruise line only because of the itinerary to hit 3 ports in Cuba. First, I was angry as all heck as the sales agent did not advise us we are required to purchase an excursion to go out in town. I found this out a day after paying our deposits.I called to confirm this and gave my opinion that this NEEDS to be explained to people booking these cruises.

Next, we receive emails about limited time sale on excursions. We looked again at the excursions and the web site just shows the price after discount. We booked 2 excursions thinking we were getting a 10% discount. Then we inquire more the next day and find out they are not even discounted, but just the standard 10% off the "on the ship price" that was the same price months ago when we booked. That is flat out lying to us. How do they get away with this?

I cruised this ship last year during spring break and vowed to never cruise RC again due to the customer service personnel out right lying to me and after I proved them wrong, they didn't even apologize to me. I have 20 cruises with Carnival and have never been treated like I was on RC. I have never been tricked like RC does and just can't understand how they are able to treat people this way. I really wish I didn't have $500 on a deposit already as I would cancel this quicker than you can snap your fingers. This is completely absurd.

Please someone explain why this company exists today with this treatment to people. Please tell me !

Thats just the way they do business :rolleyes:not much you can do but choose to stay away if it bothers you enough...

During the Black Friday Cruise Planner Sale my Father and I saved $67 on our Excursions.

We also got the BOGO Did ng for the first 2 nighs for $30 a person. Now if we booked our Excursions today the cost would be higher even with the discounts.

I agree about the false advertising . I booked two excursions a few days ago for our next cruise. Yesterday there was an email advertising up to 25% off and in smaller letters "off the on board price". When I looked at my planner - guess what, no difference n the price I purchased a few days ago. Lying, maybe not, but misleading, yes.

Inflating pricing and then discounting it happens sadly in the Travel Industry more often than you think. Supply and Demand.

I say pay the price you are willing to pay. If it goes down cancel and rebook if not don't sweat it. You win some you loose some. At he end of the day no one is forcing you to pay the high price.

In a Country like Cuba I would expect to pay more so be it. I could always hire a private. Guide or pay a Taxi driver to schlep me around.

Point is on vacation only you can decide how to value the cost. To me time is money. If the ship docks 70 miles from rhe main attraction and they want $60 per person for a tour or to hard to get to attractions then its worth it.

I use the OBC to purchase our tours so its less of an issue.

Yes that may be but would it hold up in a court of law? False advertising via a vis supply and demand?

Questionable advertising practice yes. False advertising probably not because they base the drink package sales and excursion sales on the on board price for the day of the cruise. Sometime they don’t list it as a sale and other times they do but it is lower than the on board price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Always read “up to” as Not what you are getting. I get emails from other companies every day saying hurry up to 60% off. Then look and 10-15% off most things

I really wish I didn't have $500 on a deposit already as I would cancel this quicker than you can snap your fingers. This is completely absurd.

Not sure what the $500 has to do with anything- you can still cancel and get it all back. Or if it was a non-refundable- you only lose $100.

I very much don't understand 1) why you even booked another trip, and 2) you have not already canceled.

Besides, after cruising to Cuba once, you should already know that it's MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper to just fly there and stay a weekend.

Not sure what the $500 has to do with anything- you can still cancel and get it all back. Or if it was a non-refundable- you only lose $100.

I very much don't understand 1) why you even booked another trip, and 2) you have not already canceled.

Besides, after cruising to Cuba once, you should already know that it's MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper to just fly there and stay a weekend.

First... The deposit is non-refundable (this is for two people)

Second... I booked another because of the itinerary as described (I saw no other lines that hit 3 places over 8 days to Cuba)

Third... Of course I have not already cancelled, I find it difficult to lose $500

Fourth... What is the statement about after cruising to Cuba once? And being cheaper to fly there? First, I have not cruised to Cuba before and second, it's not cruising.

I see that I am not the only one to see a foul in the business practices of RC. All I can do is promote spreading the knowledge and allow people to decide who they decide to spend their money with.

Most sales companies (whether retail, travel, rental) are going to try to lure you in with promised discounts. Look at Kohl’s. They have their placards everywhere and digital signage all over the store showing various items are 30/40/50/etc%, when in reality the sale price is just the retail price everywhere else. Always look for fine print that says “up to...” or what the discount is compared to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First... The deposit is non-refundable (this is for two people)

Second... I booked another because of the itinerary as described (I saw no other lines that hit 3 places over 8 days to Cuba)

Third... Of course I have not already cancelled, I find it difficult to lose $500

Fourth... What is the statement about after cruising to Cuba once? And being cheaper to fly there? First, I have not cruised to Cuba before and second, it's not cruising.

I see that I am not the only one to see a foul in the business practices of RC. All I can do is promote spreading the knowledge and allow people to decide who they decide to spend their money with.

Check your rules- you should only lose $100.

Sorry that I thought you had already cruised to Cuba- if you end up going, you will find out that it's way cheaper to just fly there for a weekend.

But I also am at a loss why you would book a non-refundable cruise with such a massive deposit when you swore the line off. Even with it as the only itinerary that you like, it's hardly a shock that you are having problems. Especially with a subtle item like advertising.

As for the advertising- it's not as if RCI stands out as the only ones with deceptive advertising. It's not that hard to read through and know they are playing word games.

Deceptive maybe but I disagree with false. The ads I’ve gotten do say “up to” 25% savings and they also say on “select” excursions. I did just save $12 on an excursion I already had booked on this last weekend sale. Worked out to slightly more than 15% on the previous price.

If you look at the threads about cruising to Cuba, you will find that things have changed. The USG has tightened the requirements for traveling to Cuba, so just hiring a private guide and calling it social interaction is no longer allowed.

Sorry you are not happy, I hope you find something during your cruise that makes the trip enjoyable for you. You are sailing on a ship that you have cruised on before and vowed to never again, I do not have a whole lot of hope you will like it better this time. Not all of the excursions are on sale, those that have a big red banner over the top are discounted. The ad says select sailings. I had two booked and they went on sale. I canceled and saved 20% on one and 25% on the other. There are many other lines to choose from, and maybe some of those will start going to Cuba. I hope you find one to your liking.

If you look at the threads about cruising to Cuba, you will find that things have changed. The USG has tightened the requirements for traveling to Cuba, so just hiring a private guide and calling it social interaction is no longer allowed.

You should check the rules, too- according to the Treasury FAQ, hiring a local guide does satisfy the Support Cuban People affidavit. As does eating at a private restaurant or staying at a private home (AirBnB).

The USG has tightened the requirements for traveling to Cuba, so just hiring a private guide and calling it social interaction is no longer allowed.

That's why many have reported being able to choose the other option on the form - support Cuban people - and have no issue using private guides.

Biker, who thinks the chances of anyone being audited for using the improper option on the Cuban declaration form is even less than an IRS audit.

When you originally booked the tours did you get the 10% discount. I f so,then are you saying that you wantt an add'l 10% off the pre-discounted price as reflected on their web-site. I get the same promos and any % discount shown for that particular tour is real as compared to the on-board pricing. Same with Voom & restaurants promos. I'm a RCL cruiser and I'm constantly bombarded with promos. Part of the business.

The shore excursion sales come and go. Always ignore the % flag - it varies all over the place and doesn't appear on all bookings or all tours on a booking. But we can and do get prices reduced with the sales. If you buy a tour the price shows up in your Order History on the top of the Cruise Planner page. You need to keep checking prices on the items you booked. Same is true for drink packages and dining. Saved $19pp a few days ago just by cancelling and rebooking one tour. Refund to credit card took three days.

Oh stop your plainin’