Miami Hotel Comparisons

macdon9876

Apologies for yet another hotel thread. I'm hoping for a fairly specific recommendation.

We'll be sailing on MSC Seaside this summer with our two boys (both under ten) and the grandparents. We'll be flying early and landing mid-afternoon at FLL, so when we arrive at our hotel we'll want to relax, enjoy a hotel pool, and grab a quick, easy bite to eat for supper nearby. We'll also want to visit a pharmacy or Target, etc.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn on the A1A in Fort Lauderdale a few years ago, and the location of this hotel was fantastic. It was close to the port, had a variety of family-friendly restaurants within easy walking distance, and it was a safe area. The only thing this hotel didn't have was a pool.

Is there a location in Miami that would have a similar profile? We were initially looking at the Hampton Inn Brickell in downtown Miami, but I'm wondering if the area is a bit too "trendy" for what we're looking for. It's hard to tell from Google Maps and Street View, but it seems to have restaurants like Morton's that we just won't want to get dressed up for after such a long travel day. Do I have the wrong impression of this area?

Our preference is to stay in Miami, just to make the trip to the POM easier the next day. However, staying in Fort Lauderdale isn't out of the question.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Your requirements for a pre-cruise hotel are exactly what we look for as well! We treat our pre-cruise day more as another vacation day rather than just a travel day. We usually try to stay at the Intercontinental near Bayside. But last year it was sold out, so we booked the Hampton Inn Brickell. I liked both hotels and areas, but I think I'm still partial to the IC.

Both hotels have nice pool decks to enjoy an afternoon in the sun. I found the IC had more in-hotel food options (causal eatery poolside for easy access to food/drinks). But both pool decks were very nice. There is a either a Walgreens or CVS within a few blocks of the IC that is more than sufficient for grabbing last minute needs. There are also a few liquor stores close by if you need to grab wine to carry on. There is a Walgreens & Publix (including liquor store) about 5-6 blocks from the Hampton Brickell.

As far as dining goes: We love the Bayside area for dining and walking around. You can find a variety of restaurants there from Hard Rock Cafe to al fresco Cuban dining or an upscale Italian dinner. In Brickell, there is a casual taco place almost right across the street from the Hampton (1/2 block away) . We ate dinner at Havana 1957 which was Cuban/Latin food - great food, casual atmosphere, but a little loud (at least the night we were there it was due to a band playing). We didn't venture out more than that, but I'm sure there are a ton of other options that run the gamut of cost/atmosphere.

We also have stayed at both of these hotels with our daughter in tow. Felt completely safe and secure and never felt like the areas were inappropriate for a little one. In both cases, we used either taxis or pre-arranged car service to get to the port. Easy peasy!

If you choose the Hampton, definitely sign up for their rewards program. They have great rates and often will offer specials. We booked a Miami Nightlife rate that included two free drinks from the bar for each guest plus free bottled water and a snack upon check-in.

One other reason I like the IC better is that you can see the ships in port right from the hotel (ask for a water view - usually they will upgrade you for free if rooms are available).

If you have any other specific questions, let me know!

Your requirements for a pre-cruise hotel are exactly what we look for as well! We treat our pre-cruise day more as another vacation day rather than just a travel day. We usually try to stay at the Intercontinental near Bayside. But last year it was sold out, so we booked the Hampton Inn Brickell. I liked both hotels and areas, but I think I'm still partial to the IC.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know!

Thank you for the recommendation!

I agree with the above, but if you want to stay closer to POM (some with a view of the port :cool:) check out the Holiday Inn POM, Hyatt, Intercontinental, Doubletree and the next door Marriott. All are very close to Bayside Market.

I agree with all those hotel properties except the one we stayed in last week. The Holiday Inn on Biscayne, across from Bayside Market. The room we were assigned was nothing like on their website. We were charged a Marriott rate for a Motel 6 room. I understand supply and demand, especially with cruise port hotels, but at least be reasonable, and honest.Although we asked for an upstairs view of the port we got a 3rd floor room facing the construction in the back Thank God it was only for one night. The front desk clerks have attitudes. I was an Innkeeper for Holiday Inn for almost 15 years and if that guy who checked us in worked for me he would have been seeking a paycheck elsewhere.

Another option in Miami is the Hampton Inn Airport South/Blue Lagoon. They have a free airport shuttle and a shuttle to the pier for $10pp. There's a shopping center across the street that includes a Publix and several casual eateries...we liked the Cantina Grill. There's also a Walgreens on the opposite corner. The early Feb. 2019 rates are around $200 and include free BK and wifi. It checks off all our boxes.

Another option in Miami is the Hampton Inn Airport South/Blue Lagoon. They have a free airport shuttle and a shuttle to the pier for $10pp. There's a shopping center across the street that includes a Publix and several casual eateries...we liked the Cantina Grill. There's also a Walgreens on the opposite corner. The early Feb. 2019 rates are around $200 and include free BK and wifi. It checks off all our boxes.

The rate is $365 for my weekend due to President's Day weekend and the boat show.

We are flying into FLL the weekend before the OP. Found a place The Doubletree Resort on Hollywood Beach under $300. It's about halfway between the airport and POM.

That was a corner King size room so I was thrilled to find something on the beach for the price. Also this hotel was the Crown Plaza and Hilton just acquired it this past 6 months or so i believe.

. The front desk clerks have attitudes. I was an Innkeeper for Holiday Inn for almost 15 years and if that guy who checked us in worked for me he would have been seeking a paycheck elsewhere.

Welcome to customer service in Miami.

I made reservations for the Hampton inn brickrell for end of march 2019 and it was over $400. Any input on the best western premier at the airport (coral gables)? They were just over $200. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I made reservations for the Hampton inn brickrell for end of march 2019 and it was over $400. Any input on the best western premier at the airport (coral gables)? They were just over $200. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The difference is due to location. Are you spending more time than just overnight? If so stay at the Hampton Inn. If you just need a place to sleep an airport hotel (with high ratings) should be enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone had experience staying at Homewood Suites in Brickell?

I have not stayed there (I live in Miami) but it is a highly suggested hotel. Awesome location, nice hote, with breakfast. A great place to stay.

I have not stayed there (I live in Miami) but it is a highly suggested hotel. Awesome location, nice hote, with breakfast. A great place to stay.

Thanks! We're also looking at Residence Inn Miami Airport (so we don't have to worry about transportation to hotel and port) but it doesn't seem like there is much there.

Thanks! We're also looking at Residence Inn Miami Airport (so we don't have to worry about transportation to hotel and port) but it doesn't seem like there is much there.

Go with Brickell. The ride from MIA to Brickell is not bad. And the drive from Brickell to the port is very very short and quick.

There will be nothing around the airport as usually is the case with airport hotels.

Airport hotels are fine if you are arriving late and just want a room before heading to the port the next morning; arriving earlier and interested in seeing/experiencing something of Miami and enjoying dinner/nightlife -- choose a downtown hotel. ;)

Go with Brickell. The ride from MIA to Brickell is not bad. And the drive from Brickell to the port is very very short and quick.

There will be nothing around the airport as usually is the case with airport hotels.

Airport hotels are fine if you are arriving late and just want a room before heading to the port the next morning; arriving earlier and interested in seeing/experiencing something of Miami and enjoying dinner/nightlife -- choose a downtown hotel. ;)

Thanks for the advice. We don't have a flight yet, but usually try to get in late morning. Are there shuttles from the airport to hotels or take a cab?

Thanks for the advice. We don't have a flight yet, but usually try to get in late morning. Are there shuttles from the airport to hotels or take a cab?

None of the downtown Miami or Miami Beach hotels offers an airport shuttle - grab a taxi (about $25-27+tip from MIA to downtown) or an Uber/Lyft (under $20).

Have a great cruise! :D

For those wanting to stay at Hampton Inn Brickell - I checked the rates today and they were down $100 for our November reservation.

Was $233 - $263 with taxes now $143 with taxes $161

Thank you for posting this!!!!!

I just checked my 11/22 rate and it went from $242 to $152.

I love saving money!! Thank you again for the heads up!!

A few miles and the timing will depend on which day of the week it is. Saturday and Sundays will be much quicker, especially Sundays as there is no traffic.

If you want to leave your car and the hotel during our cruise, try booking through this link.

http://www.hamptoninnmiamibrickell.com/landing/landing/lp4.php

We (4 couples) are also planning on staying at this hotel- this website is great! This is why I really appreciate CC and the exchange of information.

I’ve checked the Hampton Inn Miami Brikell but never this site.

I’m curious.......How did you learn about this particular site- it even includes an offer for shuttle to port!

We (4 couples) are also planning on staying at this hotel- this website is great! This is why I really appreciate CC and the exchange of information.

I’ve checked the Hampton Inn Miami Brikell but never this site.

I’m curious.......How did you learn about this particular site- it even includes an offer for shuttle to port!

They used to have the link on their webpage for the hotel. Sometimes it's there and pops up and sometimes it's not. I just bookmarked it in my computer to hold onto it.

• 1 month later...

I made a reservation at the Hampton Inn/Brickell a few months ago for our Nov. 2018 cruise. Made the mistake of purchasing the pay now rate of $250, assuming the prices would go up. Wrong!!! The rate now is under $175. When I called, I was basically told, too bad sucker. That’s the chance you take. So, buyer beware.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I made a reservation at the Hampton Inn/Brickell a few months ago for our Nov. 2018 cruise. Made the mistake of purchasing the pay now rate of $250, assuming the prices would go up. Wrong!!! The rate now is under $175. When I called, I was basically told, too bad sucker. That’s the chance you take. So, buyer beware.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's the way most things work.

That is why I use hotels.com for my hotel reservations. Price guarantee up to the day of check in. I have saves hundreds of dollars over the years.