Bye bye libraries?

mykeb14

whoever said that libraries were there to make money . It is a place to relax and have some quiet time . And if the library is not making money it looks like everyone is turning their books back on time NO LATE FEES .

Haha. It’s not like a typical library where there’s someone or a computer checking out books. One person could go in there and wipe them out of every book and nobody would be the wiser.

Good it's a wasted space.

In my opinion it is not a wasted space. Sorry you feel that way. I travel alone and have an inside cabin which does not have a comfortable chair in which to read. I love picking different places to read on the ship and the Library is a very nice QUIET place to spend some time. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes but I wouldn't downplay things that others enjoy.

We had at least one couple, sneaking into the chapel to have sex. It gets use. :eek: While you wouldn't notice at sea, this chapel brings in revenue from newlyweds, 3 couples if I remember correctly.

The Library not only fails to bring in revenue, it cost money to maintain. Complimentary amenities turning into cash grabs, I'm not sure that's always "healthy and progressive". What if the pool and hot tubs got replaced by a Ferris wheel, that required tickets?

Amusement parks are royals thing. Which complimentary amenities into cash grab are you referring to.

Weddings are done all the time without a library or a chapel.... not sure what that has to do with anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my opinion it is not a wasted space. Sorry you feel that way. I travel alone and have an inside cabin which does not have a comfortable chair in which to read. I love picking different places to read on the ship and the Library is a very nice QUIET place to spend some time. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes but I wouldn't downplay things that others enjoy.

Totally agree! I’m always searching out a quiet spot to read!

Save the libraries !!! Or at least mix it w/ internet quiet space. There are still many of us that enjoy books and cruising.

Don't worry book lovers. There are quite a few other cruise lines that count their extensive (and well respected) libraries among their prime offerings.

Amusement parks are royals thing. Which complimentary amenities into cash grab are you referring to.

The library is a free amenity, that cost the cruise line money to maintain. It is assumed by most on here, that a revenue producing venue will take it's place, rather than a replacement amenity that is complimentary.

Weddings are done all the time without a library or a chapel.... not sure what that has to do with anything.

You're not sure what the chapel has to do with shipboard weddings? They are an embarkation day option to hold the ceremony.

The library is a free amenity, that cost the cruise line money to maintain. It is assumed by most on here, that a revenue producing venue will take it's place, rather than a replacement amenity that is complimentary.

You're not sure what the chapel has to do with shipboard weddings? They are an embarkation day option to hold the ceremony.

OK, what is this moneymaking venue that will be replaced there that you are basing all this on?

My point on weddings is that they happen regardless to having a chapel or not. For the record, the more common use is for vow renewals and the ones we have arranged were not done there on the ships that even had chapels, due to having a reception tied to them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry if already mentioned- too many to scroll through!

We love the library as a quiet space, but the majority of the time the books and games are locked up. Unless you arrive at designated times you are out of luck. We also found the table/chair heights on most ships uncomfortable for game playing. We usually gave up, brought our own games, and found a spot on Lido.

Sorry if already mentioned- too many to scroll through!

We love the library as a quiet space, but the majority of the time the books and games are locked up. Unless you arrive at designated times you are out of luck. We also found the table/chair heights on most ships uncomfortable for game playing. We usually gave up, brought our own games, and found a spot on Lido.

You did not get the special key?

I LOVE the library. Sometimes I just get tired of hearing things all day around the ship. I don’t want to hear the TV in my cabin being watched by other people, or the piped-in music in Lido Restaurant, or DJ in the pool area, or live bands playing or even people talking. I get sensory overload by the afternoon and just want quiet. Sweet and utter silence.

I LOVE the library. Sometimes I just get tired of hearing things all day around the ship. I don’t want to hear the TV in my cabin being watched by other people, or the piped-in music in Lido Restaurant, or DJ in the pool area, or live bands playing or even people talking. I get sensory overload by the afternoon and just want quiet. Sweet and utter silence.

I agree100%.

We can be sure when the brand ambassador asks if we like something it will be history shortly thereafter. ;)

for sure!! and to add in the last 5 yrs I've been cruising when he asked about the following items they soon went bye bye -

dish of goodies in the bathroom

chocolates on the bed

twice ice in the room

twice beds made and turned down

pens/note pad

dining room bitter and blanc

shrimp cocktail disappeared for while, but reappeared

If they did get rid of the libraries, they could make into a nice spot for the 18 to 20 year old's to meet or hangout in.

agreed.. my daughter will be 19 with us when we cruise next.. and she started at 11.. she enjoyed the programs that were offered..but now, with nothing offered for the 18-20 she wonders what she will do with her time.

for sure!! and to add in the last 5 yrs I've been cruising when he asked about the following items they soon went bye bye -

dish of goodies in the bathroom

chocolates on the bed

twice ice in the room

twice beds made and turned down

pens/note pad

dining room bitter and blanc

shrimp cocktail disappeared for while, but reappeared

Except you are wrong on 4 on the list

Damn, do you get this defensive about the DMV office in your town? You know, they mean well, too? LOL

I know bringing facts to a conversation is a novel approach, but I do so try and raise the bar whenever I can.

Aren't some libraries on a few ships now libraries/bars? Great place for a wine bar, with better quality wines than the typical...

This was going to be my question/point. The Library Bar on the Sunshine was my favorite place to be.... the bartender wasn't always very good (one night - the guy working had no clue on how to make any drinks. He had been placed there to work since it was disembarking when we did. It was the end of his contract and he was done. I'm guessing whatever job he had - he'd been replaced and Library bar was a safe (work wise) place to stick him)

Shrimp, ice, turn down, b&b. Not that any on the list are cutbacks anyway. Are we really at the point where 10 pieces of paper and a 50 cent pen is considered a cutback?

That would be a great question for the higher ups. lol